News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Pennsylvania

Started by Alex, March 07, 2009, 07:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTGoose

Quote from: Crown Victoria on September 03, 2022, 12:54:09 PM
Apparently some progress has been made detailing potential improvements to the I-81 corridor from Maryland to I-78. I don't recall seeing any of this being publicized in the media or discussed in this forum, but here it is.

This has only been years in the making, probably going back to the late '90s (it would take some digging to find out). At any rate, I-81 was a known problem from Tennessee to New York and the various states got together to discuss solutions. West Virginia (with only a short section) was the most proactive, widening sections of the interstate and making other improvements. Virginia entertained some public/private solutions (such as separate truck lanes, etc.) but didn't act until just recently. It appears that Pennsylvania is also finally doing something these many years later. Had the various proposals been acted on way back then, travel on I-81 would probably be much better today. Hindsight is wonderful.

Bruce in Blacksburg
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

74/171FAN

A CE2 Reevaluation has been posted for improvements to PA 715 that will realign it so that PA 611 and PA 715 intersect at one intersection eliminating the current concurrency.

(For I-80)  PennDOT - District 10 News: I80 Upcoming Ramp Closures in Jefferson County
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

BrianP

Quote from: VTGoose on September 07, 2022, 11:54:26 AM
Apparently some progress has been made detailing potential improvements to the I-81 corridor from Maryland to I-78. I don't recall seeing any of this being publicized in the media or discussed in this forum, but here it is.

This has only been years in the making, probably going back to the late '90s (it would take some digging to find out). At any rate, I-81 was a known problem from Tennessee to New York and the various states got together to discuss solutions. West Virginia (with only a short section) was the most proactive, widening sections of the interstate and making other improvements. Virginia entertained some public/private solutions (such as separate truck lanes, etc.) but didn't act until just recently. It appears that Pennsylvania is also finally doing something these many years later. Had the various proposals been acted on way back then, travel on I-81 would probably be much better today. Hindsight is wonderful.

Bruce in Blacksburg
Maryland did phase 1 of I-81 widening a couple of years back which was to widen the Potomac River crossing and exit 1.  Next the state is going to try and get some RURAL & INFRA grants to go towards phase 2 which covers exits 2, 4 and 5. The last two phases are exit 6 and then the rest to the PA line.  But only phase 2 is in the current draft 5 year plan. And it was added thanks to the infrastructure bill.

seicer

As someone posted elsewhere, those I-81 improvements in southern Pennsylvania don't really address any widening. It's mostly short term improvements and the site mentions nothing of long term work.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: VTGoose on September 07, 2022, 11:54:26 AM

Bruce in Blacksburg

You do realize that I was referring to the current list of improvements being pursued by PennDOT as listed on the site linked to directly below my statement that you quoted, right? There's been very little publicity about any of it, probably because there's not much widening involved.

I am most certainly aware of efforts over decades to improve I-81. It would be great to see I-81 at six lanes all the way from I-77 to I-84, but I also realize that won't happen anytime soon.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Crown Victoria on September 07, 2022, 08:58:13 PM
It would be great to see I-81 at six lanes all the way from I-77 to I-84

Honestly, I think I-78 should be six-laned over to Allentown before 81 is widened north from 78. From I-80 north to Scranton, though, could really use it.

Fortunately, there is also a project to widen I-81 in Luzerne County through the Wilkes-Barre area. This one is actually supposed to go to construction in the next few years, and will probably be the first "proper" widening (i.e. through multiple interchanges, not just a glorified auxiliary lane) of 81 in the state.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 07, 2022, 09:13:16 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on September 07, 2022, 08:58:13 PM
It would be great to see I-81 at six lanes all the way from I-77 to I-84

Honestly, I think I-78 should be six-laned over to Allentown before 81 is widened north from 78. From I-80 north to Scranton, though, could really use it.

Fortunately, there is also a project to widen I-81 in Luzerne County through the Wilkes-Barre area. This one is actually supposed to go to construction in the next few years, and will probably be the first "proper" widening (i.e. through multiple interchanges, not just a glorified auxiliary lane) of 81 in the state.

Of course. The section of I-81 between I-78 and I-80 could wait until I-78 itself is widened. But I figure, I-81 in Schuylkill County could use truck lanes anyway, so we may as well include that section and take the six-lane all the way to I-84 (or even to I-476 at Clarks Summit).

Maybe PennDOT should have pursued tolling I-81 instead of I-80 (and also dropped the mass transit funding idea). And maybe VDOT should have chosen tolls on I-81. But that's a whole other discussion...

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

ARMOURERERIC

FWIW, the PA Turnpike Scranton Beltway plan is rapidly moving up their capital improvement plans

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Looking through the CE Expert System this morning, I saw some interesting traffic control for planned bridge replacements on PA 903 and PA 97.

PA 903:  (seems to be a one way temporary bridge)
QuoteA temporary run around for northbound traffic on S.R. 903 will be in place during construction. The run around will carry traffic through a temporary bridge over Mud Run, east of S.R. 903.

PA 97:  (detour goes into MD)

(For PA 611) PennDOT - District 6 News: PECO to Close Southbound Route 611 (Old York Road) at Night for Utility Improvement in Abington Township

PennDOT - District 1 News: Pymatuning State Park Trail Extension Project in Crawford County Marks Milestone with Reassembly of the Messerall Truss Bridge

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Crown Victoria

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

MASTERNC

Interesting use of four section left turn signals outside Philly in Upper Darby. Newer installations along Landsdowne Ave and US 1 have the setup for flashing yellow arrows but they aren't using the flashing signal. The sequence of the lenses is the same but there is no flashing phase and they use a Left Turn Signal sign for protected turns instead of a FYA sign.

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

74/171FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.