News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 18, 2022, 04:04:28 PM
Wow.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-deshaun-watson-traded-to-cleveland-browns-194855151.html

Watson is reportedly going to the Browns. Texans get 3 first-rounders and 2 second-rounders.

Wow is right. I'm stunned. No idea what to think other than let's see what happens.

webny99

Quote from: skluth on March 18, 2022, 04:14:32 PM
Wow.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-deshaun-watson-traded-to-cleveland-browns-194855151.html

Watson is reportedly going to the Browns. Texans get 3 first-rounders and 2 second-rounders.

Wow is right. I'm stunned. No idea what to think other than let's see what happens.

Make that three WOW's. I don't think this happens if the Browns are in the NFC. AFC teams are getting desperate knowing they have zero chance without a great QB, and now it gets even more stacked presuming Watson actually plays.

If Watson had gone to the Falcons, I was going to predict Matt Ryan to the Colts. But with Baker now likely to be traded, I'll predict Baker to the Seahawks. I think his personality and attitude are a good fit for the next era in Seattle.

webny99

The only thing I'm not surprised by is this dropping late on a Friday afternoon, because you know both sides want to get this trade done with as little media attention as possible and there's probably plenty of Browns fans who aren't going to be happy about this. It's rare to feel bad for a fanbase when they just traded for a supposedly superstar QB but I kind of do feel bad for Browns fans... not just because of Watson's off field issues, but because they give up 3 first rounders and I'm not sure it makes them significantly better than about 10 other AFC teams.

It just would not be that surprising if they never exceed their best season with Baker (11 wins) or get any further in the playoffs with Watson.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2022, 04:18:42 PM
Wow.

Make that three WOW's. I don't think this happens if the Browns are in the NFC. AFC teams are getting desperate knowing they have zero chance without a great QB, and now it gets even more stacked presuming Watson actually plays.

If Watson had gone to the Falcons, I was going to predict Matt Ryan to the Colts. But with Baker now likely to be traded, I'll predict Baker to the Seahawks. I think his personality and attitude are a good fit for the next era in Seattle.
My God, the Browns better win a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years (not gonna happen) because they're about to be in for another generation of stink.

thspfc

Browns fans were obsessed with Baker and hopefully aren't happy with him being replaced with a serial sexual abuser. (had they replaced Baker with someone like Jimmy G, I'd have approved of that move) Anyways, 3 firsts and 2 seconds is way too much to give up for a guy that a) sexually assaulted at least a dozen women, and b) attempted to force his way out of the last team he was on because he was mad that he only got to play QB and not be the GM or team owner.

I hope this backfires massively for both Watson and the Browns, and if there was ever anything that could get me to root for Baker, it's this.

Big John

Quote from: webny99 on March 17, 2022, 10:27:21 PM
Quote from: Big John on March 17, 2022, 08:19:34 PM
Packers trade WR Adams to the Raiders.

The arms race in the AFC Wild West continues! I'll set the over/under for combined wins by the AFC West at 40.5.
Add the Chiefs signing Juju Smith-Schuster.

jgb191

My Texans are back to that all-too-familiar place of rebuilding.  This Fall will be their 20-year anniversary since their first game in franchise history, and already our fourth rebuilding bid, which might already surpass the number of rebuild bids of other NFL team that have been around longer.  All thanks to Bill 0'Brien's destruction of the team, and the ungrateful Deshaun Watson's trade demands.  Kind of bittersweet that he's no longer with us, he was the franchise QB the Texans have been waiting for, but now I guess he's the Browns' problem now.  I really don't know what to think right now except it's going to be another long road to recovery.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

plain

The Colts have picked up QB Matt Ryan from the Falcons.
Newark born, Richmond bred

webny99

Quote from: plain on March 21, 2022, 02:03:24 PM

Nice!! I was sort of hoping that would happen. It makes a lot of sense for both sides, kind of like the Phillip Rivers signing a few years ago.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on March 21, 2022, 03:00:37 PM

Nice!! I was sort of hoping that would happen. It makes a lot of sense for both sides, kind of like the Phillip Rivers signing a few years ago.
Atlanta only got a 3rd round pick though. Cements that the Falcons are not going to be any good this year.

thspfc

Also the Saints are re-signing Jameis. Can't wait to watch this disaster.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 21, 2022, 03:26:37 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 21, 2022, 03:00:37 PM

Atlanta only got a 3rd round pick though. Cements that the Falcons are not going to be any good this year.

I agree they could have gotten more in return, but they probably weren't going to be good anyways. They were pretty lucky to be 7-10 last year with one of the worst rosters in the league.

webny99

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1505210239947137024

...and now suddenly the Pittsburgh Steelers, bastion of organizational stability, have the biggest QB question mark in the entire AFC, easily. All of the other 15 teams have their QB or are going to find out if they do this season.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on March 21, 2022, 07:10:44 PM
https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status/1505210239947137024

...and now suddenly the Pittsburgh Steelers, bastion of organizational stability, have the biggest QB question mark in the entire AFC, easily. All of the other 15 teams have their QB or are going to find out if they do this season.
Are the Steelers not going to find out if they have their guy? I don't think they have their guy, but we're going to find out for sure.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 21, 2022, 07:26:31 PM
Are the Steelers not going to find out if they have their guy? I don't think they have their guy, but we're going to find out for sure.

Maybe, if they draft a QB. But even then, they would be the only AFC team with a rookie. Trubisky might give them OK QB play for a couple years, but there's no way they expect him or Mason Rudolph to be their long term starter.

skluth

Quote from: webny99 on March 21, 2022, 07:37:07 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 21, 2022, 07:26:31 PM

Maybe, if they draft a QB. But even then, they would be the only AFC team with a rookie. Trubisky might give them OK QB play for a couple years, but there's no way they expect him or Mason Rudolph to be their long term starter.
I think Trubisky is a placeholder and they plan to draft a QB in 2023 which has several decent QB prospects. This year's class has been called the worst QB class since 2013 (at least by a couple ESPN talking heads).

Henry

Quote from: Alps on March 18, 2022, 04:36:50 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2022, 04:18:42 PM
Wow.

My God, the Browns better win a Super Bowl in the next 2-3 years (not gonna happen) because they're about to be in for another generation of stink.
Quote from: thspfc on March 18, 2022, 05:08:36 PM
Browns fans were obsessed with Baker and hopefully aren't happy with him being replaced with a serial sexual abuser. (had they replaced Baker with someone like Jimmy G, I'd have approved of that move) Anyways, 3 firsts and 2 seconds is way too much to give up for a guy that a) sexually assaulted at least a dozen women, and b) attempted to force his way out of the last team he was on because he was mad that he only got to play QB and not be the GM or team owner.

I hope this backfires massively for both Watson and the Browns, and if there was ever anything that could get me to root for Baker, it's this.
Funny how a couple of years ago we said the exact same thing about the Bengals when they drafted Joe Burrow, and now they're coming off a miraculous season that unfortunately ended in a Super Bowl loss. As for the guy I'm thankfully not related to, the Browns are screwing it up big time when they traded for him. In any case, Burrow has become everything that Baker wasn't, which is a nice surprise of sorts. Don't be surprised if Cincinnati continues to have the superior team in OH for several more years, at least until inevitably the Bungles thing comes back to bite them in the ass.

(But even if it does happen, Cleveland will still be the bigger mess based on the latest development going on.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-post-2022-nfl-free-agency

Not that I couldn't find a few quibbles with these rankings, but it is noteworthy that 11 of the top 16 teams are in the AFC (meaning 11 of the bottom 16 teams are in the NFC). The only AFC teams in the bottom half are the Steelers, Dolphins, Jets, Texans, and Jaguars.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on March 22, 2022, 12:15:50 PM
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-power-rankings-post-2022-nfl-free-agency

Not that I couldn't find a few quibbles with these rankings, but it is noteworthy that 11 of the top 16 teams are in the AFC (meaning 11 of the bottom 16 teams are in the NFC). The only AFC teams in the bottom half are the Steelers, Dolphins, Jets, Texans, and Jaguars.
Ok, here's my way-too-early rankings for this year:

Tier 1: Super Bowl contenders
1. Rams
2. Buccaneers
3. Bills
4. Chiefs
5. Broncos
6. Bengals
Tier 2: Will most likely make the playoffs
7. Colts
8. Packers
9. Cowboys
10. Browns
11. Patriots
12. Cardinals
13. Titans
Tier 3: Playoff bubble
14. Chargers
15. 49ers
16. Ravens
17. Vikings
18. Raiders
19. Steelers
20. Eagles
21. Dolphins
Tier 4: Not good but not completely awful
22. Washington
23. Saints
24. Jets
25. Bears
26. Seahawks
Tier 5: Roll out the tanks
27. Giants
28. Jaguars
29. Texans
30. Falcons
31. Lions
32. Panthers

OK, I've now realized that I have 8 AFC teams in the top two categories, which speaks to how deep the AFC is in terms of playoff teams.

JayhawkCO

I'll take my shot. Difference between me and thspfc shown in parentheses.

Super Bowl Contenders
1. Buccaneers (+1)
2. Bills (+1)
3. Chargers (+11)
4. Rams (-3)
5. Chiefs (-1)

Will Most Likely Make the Playoffs
6. Cowboys (+3)
7. Colts (-)
8. Titans (+5)
9. Bengals (-3)
10. Patriots (+1)
11. Packers (-3)

Playoff Bubble
12. Browns (-2)
13. Ravens (+3)
14. Broncos (-9)
15. 49ers (-)
16. Vikings (+1)
17. Raiders (+1)
18. Cardinals (-6)
19. Eagles (+1)

Not Horrible
20. Dolphins (+1)
21. Jaguars (+7)
22. Steelers (-3)
23. Bears (+2)
24. Saints (-1)

Roll Out the Tanks
25. Commanders (-3)
26. Jets (-2)
27. Falcons (+3)
28. Texans (+1)
29. Giants (-2)
30. Lions (+1)
31. Seahawks (-5)
32. Panthers (-)

webny99

Wow, so low on the Giants. I think they'll be at least tier 4, maybe tier 3. Tyrod Taylor is a lot better than their backups last year, which will keep them from falling to embarrassing new lows if something happens to Daniel Jones. And if he stays healthy, I think they could be a .500 team.

I would also move up whoever gets Baker Mayfield (probably Seahawks or Panthers?)

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on March 22, 2022, 03:06:02 PM
Wow, so low on the Giants. I think they'll be at least tier 4, maybe tier 3. Tyrod Taylor is a lot better than their backups last year, which will keep them from falling to embarrassing new lows if something happens to Daniel Jones. And if he stays healthy, I think they could be a .500 team.

I would also move up whoever gets Baker Mayfield (probably Seahawks or Panthers?)

Who did they add that will improve them from their 4-13 record? (Other than a new coach who might be worth a game)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 22, 2022, 03:45:45 PM

Who did they add that will improve them from their 4-13 record? (Other than a new coach who might be worth a game)

The Giants are such a disaster from the Judge/Gettleman 2.0 era that they'll need a few years to recover.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 22, 2022, 03:55:20 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 22, 2022, 03:45:45 PM

The Giants are such a disaster from the Judge/Gettleman 2.0 era that they'll need a few years to recover.

I agree that they aren't going to be a great team for at least a few years, but it's impossible to be worse than they were last year. I think the new coaching staff plus a solid veteran backup raises their floor to 5-6 wins and their ceiling to a fringe playoff team.

As for players, they haven't added anyone too flashy but that's not surprising for a non-Super Bowl contending team. Three solid O-line starters, Matt Brieda who had flashes with the Bills, and of course Tyrod. All signings that will make them competitive while they rebuild, similar to Buffalo in 2017-18. Of course I want to see it work because the coach and GM came from Buffalo, but still, it's not crazy to imagine the Jones-Daboll pairing works out, Jones has a bounceback season, and they're in the playoff mix in December.

JayhawkCO

Tyreek to the Dolphins. Bizarre trade for the Chiefs, unless they package it for a defensive player. For now, dropping down a bit in the ranks above.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.