News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 23, 2022, 01:15:31 PM
Tyreek to the Dolphins. Bizarre trade for the Chiefs, unless they package it for a defensive player. For now, dropping down a bit in the ranks above.

Wow. Of course this makes them worse in the immediate term, but I guess it's not that surprising - it probably had to happen eventually and they got a pretty good return IMO.

From a Bills angle, would rather have Tyreek Hill in the division than on the Chiefs, which is saying quite a bit. I saw someone point out that the Bills were already playing him twice a year (at least in 2020-21), so him being in the division makes no difference - and might even be an advantage with a worse QB throwing to him   :sombrero:

webny99

Roadgeekteen

Patriots got Malcolm Butler back!

Only real thing that we've done this free agency except lose players
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jgb191

My interest in the NFL started exactly couple of decades ago (Texans 20th anniversary in case you're wondering why), but it seems to me that this might be the wildest most active offseason that I know of.  Many high-profile names either traded or signed.  It really is turning out to be the most expensive game of poker in NFL history to see which club has the best hand dealt to them.  On paper now compared to on the field this fall will be two very different things.  The obvious differences between them -- health, legal issues, and do the players fit in with the right team system --  will be the three largest factors that will determine who played their hand the best.  For example, it is still TBD if Deshaun will fit in with the Browns system, or if Russell will fit in with the Broncos system. 
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

thspfc

Quote from: jgb191 on March 24, 2022, 02:06:19 PM
My interest in the NFL started exactly couple of decades ago (Texans 20th anniversary in case you're wondering why), but it seems to me that this might be the wildest most active offseason that I know of.  Many high-profile names either traded or signed.  It really is turning out to be the most expensive game of poker in NFL history to see which club has the best hand dealt to them.  On paper now compared to on the field this fall will be two very different things.  The obvious differences between them -- health, legal issues, and do the players fit in with the right team system --  will be the three largest factors that will determine who played their hand the best.  For example, it is still TBD if Deshaun will fit in with the Browns system, or if Russell will fit in with the Broncos system.
"Fitting into the system" is not the question. When you get a quarterback as talented as Russ or Deshaun, you have to make the system fit them. Prime example is John Harbaugh completely overhauling the Ravens offense in 2018 when Lamar took over for Flacco. If Russ and Deshaun fail due to the offensive systems, it will be because the coaching staff didn't adjust well enough to the quarterback, not because the quarterback didn't adjust well enough to the coaching staff.

jgb191

^  If only we could live in that dream world where we all could pick and choose our bosses, co-workers, pay, and job descriptions at work; no one would ever quit.  But in the real world, we are stuck with the cast of employees and employers that we are dealt with.  Besides, it would be a scary world to live in if a player or worker gets to have that much power over an organization.  The Browns are probably going to regret handing Deshaun nearly a quarter-billion dollars; all that money could have been used to upgrade or retool the team.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Roadgeekteen

Bills new stadium deal announced, keeping the team in Buffalo. I wish that the billionaires paid for their own stadium but that's just the way things work I guess.

https://apnews.com/article/kathy-hochul-buffalo-bills-nfl-business-sports-b16413591ee74ffb5a5bd2431d914910

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 28, 2022, 11:45:47 AM
Bills new stadium deal announced, keeping the team in Buffalo. I wish that the billionaires paid for their own stadium but that's just the way things work I guess.

https://apnews.com/article/kathy-hochul-buffalo-bills-nfl-business-sports-b16413591ee74ffb5a5bd2431d914910

I understand that Buffalo takes pride in playing outdoors in the cold, but an enclosed stadium is a better option financially. You get stuff like NCAA tournament games, college football games, and maybe even a Super Bowl.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 28, 2022, 01:26:22 PM

I understand that Buffalo takes pride in playing outdoors in the cold, but an enclosed stadium is a better option financially. You get stuff like NCAA tournament games, college football games, and maybe even a Super Bowl.

Not that I put too much stock into the rumblings that the Bills would actually leave, but it's good to see this finally happening.

Sure, an enclosed stadium would be ideal, but it's more expensive, college football isn't a big thing around here, and Buffalo is probably never going to host the Super Bowl regardless. It's just not big enough to have the hotel capacity, among other constraints.

TheHighwayMan3561

Super Bowl hosting tiers:

Gold:
Miami (though declining stadium has kept them out of the rotation for a while)
Phoenix
Houston
New Orleans
Tampa
Los Angeles
presumably Las Vegas

Silver (maybe one every blue moon, or new stadium, or outsized importance)
Dallas (because of fuckups with SB XLV both of their own doing and not, they're not higher)
Atlanta
Detroit
Minneapolis
San Francisco
New York City
Indianapolis
Jacksonville
MAYBE the new DC stadium gets one if Snyder sells the team

Never, due to hotel capacity issues and/or conflict with NFL's Super Bowl weather rule:
Chicago
Green Bay
Buffalo
Seattle
Nashville
Charlotte
Foxboro
Kansas City
Denver
Philly
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cincinnati
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jlam

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 28, 2022, 02:51:22 PM

Gold:
Phoenix
Houston
New Orleans
Tampa
Los Angeles
presumably Las Vegas

Dallas (because of fuckups with SB XLV both of their own doing and not, they're not higher)
Atlanta
Detroit
Minneapolis
San Francisco
New York City
Indianapolis
Jacksonville

Never, due to hotel capacity issues and/or conflict with NFL's Super Bowl weather rule:
Chicago
Green Bay
Buffalo
Seattle
Nashville
Charlotte
Foxboro
Kansas City
Denver
Philly
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cincinnati
I think the NFL has already chosen Vegas to host this one, no?

DenverBrian

Quote from: webny99 on March 28, 2022, 01:55:39 PM

Not that I put too much stock into the rumblings that the Bills would actually leave, but it's good to see this finally happening.

Sure, an enclosed stadium would be ideal, but it's more expensive, college football isn't a big thing around here, and Buffalo is probably never going to host the Super Bowl regardless. It's just not big enough to have the hotel capacity, among other constraints.
In this manner, Buffalo and Green Bay are really of a kind in the NFL. Possibly including Kansas City.

ilpt4u

Between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, both sides of the border, really not enough hotel capacity? I haven't been up that way in a long time, but usually "tourist trap"  areas tend to have hotel space

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: jlam on March 28, 2022, 04:30:23 PM
I think the NFL has already chosen Vegas to host this one, no?

Yes, but my comment referred to if they return to Vegas in relatively short order after 2023, which is likely.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 28, 2022, 07:22:15 PM
Between Buffalo and Niagra Falls, both sides of the border, really not enough hotel capacity? I haven't been up that way in a long time, but usually "tourist trap"  areas tend to have hotel space

The Buffalo area is really only about 1/4-1/3 the size of most Super Bowl host cities. Many of the fans that fill the stadium come from southern Ontario, Batavia, Rochester, and further.

If you included all of the Niagara hotels on both sides, then maybe... but some of those would be close to an hour away factoring in the border, which is probably a bridge too far (no pun intended :D)

ilpt4u

Quote from: webny99 on March 28, 2022, 09:20:11 PM
Between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, both sides of the border, really not enough hotel capacity? I haven't been up that way in a long time, but usually "tourist trap"  areas tend to have hotel space

The Buffalo area is really only about 1/4-1/3 the size of most Super Bowl host cities. Many of the fans that fill the stadium come from southern Ontario, Batavia, Rochester, and further.

If you included all of the Niagara hotels on both sides, then maybe... but some of those would be close to an hour away factoring in the border, which is probably a bridge too far (no pun intended :D)
Ever been out to LA? I feel like Downtown to the Airport (near where SoFi stadium is) is about an hour!

I don't think the NFL would consider hotel space within an hour of the venue as "too far away."

It is all academic, anyway. Bills are staying outdoors

webny99

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 28, 2022, 09:51:07 PM

Ever been out to LA? I feel like Downtown to the Airport (near where SoFi stadium is) is about an hour!

I don't think the NFL would consider hotel space within an hour of the venue as "too far away."

It is all academic, anyway. Bills are staying outdoors

In LA, short distances can take forever due to the traffic, whereas the mileages would be much greater in WNY.

But yes, it's not going to happen either way because it's outdoors and there's also a minimum seat requirement which the new stadium likely won't meet as it's proposed to be one of the smallest stadiums capacity-wise in the NFL.

DenverBrian

MOTEL space? Sure. Actual five-star HOTEL space? Not hardly. Example: The NFL, for the Super Bowl in LA this year, headquartered at the Intercontinental Los Angeles Downtown - brand new, 73 stories, super swank. That's the standard for lodging they look for in a venue. In Buffalo, the Hyatt Regency is probably top of the line, and it's not even 400 rooms. (They don't really care where the actual paying visitors stay - but the few thousand NFL staff, press, NFLPA staff, players, etc. - those folks are not going to settle for the Courtyard Downtown Buffalo.)

webny99

Downtown Buffalo, at least parts of it, are actually on the upswing. But not enough of an upswing to host the Super Bowl.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2022, 08:47:39 AM
Downtown Buffalo, at least parts of it, are actually on the upswing. But not enough of an upswing to host the Super Bowl.

Just imagine how big the upswing will be if and when the Bills and the Sabres will win their first Super Bowl and Stanley Cup championships.

DenverBrian

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2022, 08:47:39 AM
And it's not just adequate top quality hotel space; they've made the decision to build an open-air stadium, so there is zero chance they'll ever get a Super Bowl.

Henry

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 28, 2022, 02:51:22 PM

Gold:
Phoenix
Houston
New Orleans
Tampa
Los Angeles
presumably Las Vegas

Atlanta
Detroit
Minneapolis
San Francisco
New York City
Indianapolis
Jacksonville

Chicago
Green Bay
Buffalo
Seattle
Nashville
Charlotte
Foxboro
Kansas City
Denver
Philly
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cincinnati
You forgot Baltimore, and they're probably going into the bottom tier anyway.

Chicago may move up if they elect to build an enclosed stadium, but I'll admit even that is still a long shot.

Quote from: DenverBrian on March 28, 2022, 04:49:15 PM

In this manner, Buffalo and Green Bay are really of a kind in the NFL. Possibly including Kansas City.
Yay, good for Buffalo! The Bills really need their new stadium, and this is the best news they can get on that front. The NFL building new stadiums at a record pace is a reminder of how much MLB sucks in this regard, as Oakland and Tampa Bay are still struggling to get new ballparks.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-approve-modified-overtime-rule-ensuring-possession-for-both-teams-in-  :cheers:

There's starting to be a pretty clear case that we will look back at the Bills-Chiefs divisional round game as changing the landscape of the NFL between this overtime rule change and the way it changed teams' pursuit of top-tier quarterbacks.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2022, 04:05:28 PM
https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-owners-approve-modified-overtime-rule-ensuring-possession-for-both-teams-in-  :cheers:

There's starting to be a pretty clear case that we will look back at the Bills-Chiefs divisional round game as changing the landscape of the NFL between this overtime rule change and the way it changed teams' pursuit of top-tier quarterbacks.

And now the analytics say that it's better for you to lose the coin toss!

Because it's always better to know what you need first. If you lose the toss and the other team gets 7, you know you have to go for it on 4th every time. If you win the toss, you could go for it on 4th sometimes, but you're flying blind.

hotdogPi

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 29, 2022, 04:45:01 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2022, 04:05:28 PM

And now the analytics say that it's better for you to lose the coin toss!

Because it's always better to know what you need first. If you lose the toss and the other team gets 7, you know you have to go for it on 4th every time. If you win the toss, you could go for it on 4th sometimes, but you're flying blind.

Doesn't the winner of the toss get to choose whether they go first or second?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.