News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Alps

Quote from: mgk920 on June 19, 2020, 10:35:39 PM
Quote from: bing101 on June 19, 2020, 08:38:45 PM
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/06/19/report-49ers-player-tests-positive-for-covid-19-player-among-group-working-out-in-nashville/A member of the 49ers has been tested positive for COVID-19.

And his likelihood of developing ANY symptoms beyond those of the mildest of colds?

Mike
Somewhere around 10% of at least having a fever, maybe 5% severe illness and 2% hospitalization. Do you want to infect an entire league and find out? I personally do not.

Alps

Quote from: bing101 on June 19, 2020, 10:57:26 PM
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/19/donald-trump-anthony-fauci-football-return-329645

Now COVID-19 and Football has become a political issue as seen here.

and we are not to discuss politics in this thread thanks

webny99

Only 2 days left until the NFL season begins!
https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-kickoff-to-celebrate-start-of-101st-season

I didn't have much optimism for this season for most of the summer, but things have really started to shape up in the past few weeks. I think it really helped the NFL to have the other leagues restart first.

ET21

Let's just hope it can last for more than a month
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

It wouldn't be surprising if all four leagues were playing on the same day, with MLB playing a truncated season, and the NBA and NHL seasons ending later than usual, at a time when they'd normally have their training camps by now. But webny99 is right, it helped the NFL to have the other three leagues restart first, because it was the only one already in offseason mode when the first COVID cases hit back in March.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on September 09, 2020, 10:12:54 AM
It wouldn't be surprising if all four leagues were playing on the same day, with MLB playing a truncated season, and the NBA and NHL seasons ending later than usual, at a time when they'd normally have their training camps by now. But webny99 is right, it helped the NFL to have the other three leagues restart first, because it was the only one already in offseason mode when the first COVID cases hit back in March.

Tomorrow is the first of what might be several days.
1 NFL regular season game
1 NHL playoff game
1 NBA playoff game
12 MLB regular season games

Also, 1 regular season MLS game and 3 regular season WNBA games.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

tdindy88

Normally I believe this is only possible in late October and early November. Something about a "sports equinox" I think?

webny99

Chiefs win 34-20! Wasn't even that close until the Texans caught up some in the fourth quarter.

triplemultiplex

KC dominated.  They've got a really good team again this year.

Reduced crowd was odd to look at.  Not as odd as it'll be to see the empty seats on Sunday for other games.  But still; strange times.
Makes me wonder how much those fans paid for those seats with the reduced supply.  I have to imagine season ticket holders made bank on the secondary market.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 11, 2020, 09:24:02 AM
KC dominated.  They've got a really good team again this year.

Reduced crowd was odd to look at.  Not as odd as it'll be to see the empty seats on Sunday for other games.  But still; strange times.
Makes me wonder how much those fans paid for those seats with the reduced supply.  I have to imagine season ticket holders made bank on the secondary market.
They've got a really good team if Mahomes can stay healthy. Last year they missed out on the no. 1 seed because Mahomes was dealing with injuries for a good chunk of the year, and they needed the upset of the season to get a first round bye at all. This year nobody but the top seed gets a bye, and the last seven Super Bowl winners all had first round byes. It doesn't help that Baltimore has the league's easiest schedule and a roster that rivals KC's.
So the point is, nothing is a forgone conclusion.

webny99

My goodness, the Lions simply cannot close out games against the Bears. That was last year's Thanksgiving game all over again.  :meh: :coffee:

In Bills news, Josh Allen delivered the first 300-yard game in regulation since... Kyle Orton in 2014. Yikes. But I'll take the 10-point win over the Jets. No better way to start the season than 1-0!

thspfc

Week 1 has been very interesting. Quite a few upsets and surprises. Maybe that's to be expected with all the offseason drama from both COVID and the countless major trades/free agent signings. With two and half games still to go, here are my thoughts:
- Packers look extremely good on offense. Aaron Rodgers must be out to prove that all the drama surrounding their first round draft choice is a joke. If they play like that all year, they will be as tough as anyone to beat. The Vikings are not an easy opponent either.
- Eagles suck. All I heard from the media all offseason was how great Carson Wentz is. You would've thought he built the pyramids of Giza alone while carrying 52 men on his back from the way they were talking. I've never wanted to see a team lose as badly as I wanted to see the overrated, injury-prone, directionless Eagles lose today. Thank you Washington Football Team for doing something positive for once.
- Patriots look decent, but it's too early to tell, and it's not like they played the '85 Bears. The Dolphins are young and still rebuilding.
- Buccaneers looked tired and in over their heads. I'm not sure why anyone expected a team with so many new players and no preseason to flourish immediately, especially against possibly the best team in the NFC in the Saints. They will get better as the season goes on.
- Cardinals over Niners was easily the upset of the week. The Super Bowl hangover is a real thing. If this game is any indication, the Kyler Murray/DeAndre Hopkins connection will be one of the best in the league.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on September 13, 2020, 09:55:53 PM
Week 1 has been very interesting. Quite a few upsets and surprises. Maybe that's to be expected with all the offseason drama from both COVID and the countless major trades/free agent signings. With two and half games still to go, here are my thoughts:
- Packers look extremely good on offense. Aaron Rodgers must be out to prove that all the drama surrounding their first round draft choice is a joke. If they play like that all year, they will be as tough as anyone to beat. The Vikings are not an easy opponent either.
- Eagles suck. All I heard from the media all offseason was how great Carson Wentz is. You would've thought he built the pyramids of Giza alone while carrying 52 men on his back from the way they were talking. I've never wanted to see a team lose as badly as I wanted to see the overrated, injury-prone, directionless Eagles lose today. Thank you Washington Football Team for doing something positive for once.
- Patriots look decent, but it's too early to tell, and it's not like they played the '85 Bears. The Dolphins are young and still rebuilding.
- Buccaneers looked tired and in over their heads. I'm not sure why anyone expected a team with so many new players and no preseason to flourish immediately, especially against possibly the best team in the NFC in the Saints. They will get better as the season goes on.
- Cardinals over Niners was easily the upset of the week. The Super Bowl hangover is a real thing. If this game is any indication, the Kyler Murray/DeAndre Hopkins connection will be one of the best in the league.
I followed along with the Jets for amusement, and they appear to be waiting for the preseason to begin.

TheHighwayMan3561

Vikings have a lot of new defensive personnel so it was probably going to be tough to expect them to be ready for this game. It's also Week 1. But it's disheartening to find that Green Bay kicked out ass in every facet on a "neutral field" . I think that Week 16 matchup from last season and the nasty taste it left was still fresh in a lot of Vikings fans minds. This game actually went on a similar trajectory where it was close for a while but the Packers steadily just took control of the game and the Vikings had no answer. It's frustrating because I hate losing to this frickin team so much.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CNGL-Leudimin

This season I'm following "the" Football Team just because :sombrero:.

When I checked partway through the second quarter the Eagles were shutting down the Football Team. However now I see they did turn the scoreboard back.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 14, 2020, 03:37:55 AM

When I checked partway through the second quarter the Eagles were shutting down the Football Team. However now I see they did turn the scoreboard back.

Yep.  An interception before halftime eventually got Football Team a TD.  Some bad coaching during that series, along with ineptitude during the 2nd half, cost the Eagles what should've been an easy Week 1 win.

wanderer2575

In other news:  Rain is wet, sun rises in the east, Lions blow a 17-point fourth quarter lead, head coach says "We've just got to coach better."

1995hoo

I've decided I think I'll call every team by "[City Name] Football Team" (or, for New York and LA, "[City Name] [NFC or AFC] Football Team" except for continuing to call the local team the Washington Redskins.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2020, 07:56:42 AM

I've decided I think I'll call every team by "[City Name] Football Team" (or, for New York and LA, "[City Name] [NFC or AFC] Football Team" except for continuing to call the local team the Washington Redskins.
Why are you freaking out over a team changing its mascot?

triplemultiplex

And I thought the Death Star was an ugly stadium.  That monstrosity in LA looks like it was designed by an over-produced sci-fi movie.  They'll add the hologram screens in post-production, so just randomly point at the air in front of you while inside.
Also, how do they keep pigeons from just flying in and pooping on everything?  They love hanging out underneath things like a giant stadium roof with no walls.

And in 15 years when both their teams have skipped town again... :-D
Kudos to La Rams for holding on to that slim lead for so long in the 4th, tho.  Looks like another year of lofty expectations in Big D that will end in a first round playoff loss again, at best.

Brady should've just retired.  What's he trying to prove down there in Tampa?  As much delight as I may find in seeing his eminently punchable face lose like that, this all seems like one giant ego stroke attempt.  All that "GOAT" shit is in his head.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

Quote from: thspfc on September 14, 2020, 09:31:42 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2020, 07:56:42 AM

Why are you freaking out over a team changing its mascot?

Who's freaking out? Sounds like you're freaking out in response to my comment.

Edited to add: With that said, nice one here by some AP hack.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.