News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 14, 2020, 07:55:43 AM
In other news:  Rain is wet, sun rises in the east, Lions blow a 17-point fourth quarter lead, head coach says "We've just got to coach better."

I'm torn between the Bengals missed field goal or the Lions missed catch as the most inexplicable loss of the week. They were both so bad, like head-in-hands bad.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 14, 2020, 09:39:32 AM
Looks like another year of lofty expectations in Big D that will end in a first round playoff loss again, at best.

Expectations are certainly lofty, but at this point it would take an absolute meltdown/disaster/sub-.500 season to lose the division, so I'd say a first-round playoff loss is pretty much the worst-case scenario.

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2020, 10:47:11 AM
Quote from: thspfc on September 14, 2020, 09:31:42 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2020, 07:56:42 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 14, 2020, 03:37:55 AM
This season I'm following "the" Football Team just because :sombrero:.

I've decided I think I'll call every team by "[City Name] Football Team" (or, for New York and LA, "[City Name] [NFC or AFC] Football Team" except for continuing to call the local team the Washington Redskins.
Why are you freaking out over a team changing its mascot?

Who's freaking out? Sounds like you're freaking out in response to my comment.

Edited to add: With that said, nice one here by some AP hack.

I'm not freaking out, I'm asking a question.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 14, 2020, 11:35:48 AM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on September 14, 2020, 07:55:43 AM
In other news:  Rain is wet, sun rises in the east, Lions blow a 17-point fourth quarter lead, head coach says "We've just got to coach better."

I'm torn between the Bengals missed field goal or the Lions missed catch as the most inexplicable loss of the week. They were both so bad, like head-in-hands bad.

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 14, 2020, 09:39:32 AM
Looks like another year of lofty expectations in Big D that will end in a first round playoff loss again, at best.

Expectations are certainly lofty, but at this point it would take an absolute meltdown/disaster/sub-.500 season to lose the division, so I'd say a first-round playoff loss is pretty much the worst-case scenario.
The Rams are no joke. I think people are underestimating them because they declined last year compared to 2018, but they still went 9-7 in the league's best division last year. They are a good team. No shame in losing to them by 3 points, especially with it being Dallas' first game with a new head coach and no preseason.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2020, 10:47:11 AM
With that said, nice one here by some AP hack.

hashtag: dad jokes
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NWI_Irish96

I've decided I think I'll call every team by "[City Name] Football Team" (or, for New York and LA, "[City Name] [NFC or AFC] Football Team" except for continuing to call the local team the Washington Redskins.

Let's spice things up a bit. "Football Team" gets to take an opponent's nickname when they win.

Washington beat Philadelphia in Week 1, so Washington is now the Eagles and Philadelphia is "Football Team." When Philadelphia wins their next game, they get to take the opponent's nickname and "Football Team" passes to them. See who gets stuck as "Football Team" at the end of the season.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 15, 2020, 10:15:10 AM

Let's spice things up a bit. "Football Team" gets to take an opponent's nickname when they win.

Washington beat Philadelphia in Week 1, so Washington is now the Eagles and Philadelphia is "Football Team." When Philadelphia wins their next game, they get to take the opponent's nickname and "Football Team" passes to them. See who gets stuck as "Football Team" at the end of the season.

I kind of like that. I may have to borrow this. That might be an even more fun way to troll people than what I said above (which obviously succeeded in pushing thspfc's buttons).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Alps on September 14, 2020, 01:18:58 AM
I followed along with the Jets for amusement, and they appear to be waiting for the preseason to begin.

I take it 2:03 PM every Monday on WFAN is appointment radio.  OH THE PAIN!!

And why not Washington FC?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 15, 2020, 10:20:52 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 15, 2020, 10:15:10 AM

I kind of like that. I may have to borrow this.

Same here! I'll definitely have to track that as the season goes on. Of course, it requires an Eagles win, so we'll see how that goes.

1995hoo

I tweeted that idea at a local transportation reporter who happens to be a big Philadelphia Football Team fan and he just retweeted it with the comment "Oh this is excellent."

Someone else replied to express concern that a team that fails to qualify for the playoffs might have the "Football Team" moniker at the end of the year. My thought is, so what?

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 15, 2020, 12:27:57 PM
I tweeted that idea at a local transportation reporter who happens to be a big Philadelphia Football Team fan and he just retweeted it with the comment "Oh this is excellent."

Someone else replied to express concern that a team that fails to qualify for the playoffs might have the "Football Team" moniker at the end of the year. My thought is, so what?
It will most likely be a team that doesn't qualify. At latest it will be a team that is eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on September 15, 2020, 01:50:44 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 15, 2020, 12:27:57 PM

It will most likely be a team that doesn't qualify. At latest it will be a team that is eliminated in the first round of the playoffs.

It very likely trickles down to a team like Miami, Detroit, Cincinnati, or the New Yorks, and stays there, but one example of another possibility is that Chicago could pick it up from Jacksonville in Week 16 and then in Week 17 Green Bay is resting Aaron Rodgers having already locked in their playoff seed and they take it into the playoffs.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Yeah, I mean given that the whole point is that it's transferred between losing teams, wouldn't you expect it to end up with a non-playoff team? I don't see why that would matter; it would only reinforce the negative connotation.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on September 15, 2020, 03:51:35 PM
Yeah, I mean given that the whole point is that it's transferred between losing teams, wouldn't you expect it to end up with a non-playoff team? I don't see why that would matter; it would only reinforce the negative connotation.
Just award the Jets the name of New York Football Team and be done with it.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Alps on September 15, 2020, 07:20:30 PM
Just award the Jets the name of Not in New York Football Team and be done with it.

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 15, 2020, 07:22:02 PM
Just award the Jets the name of Not in New York AFC Football Team and be done with it.

Nicely done, although that could also be the G-men, so we better specify AFC  :)

webny99

I was really, really hoping that FiveThirtyEight's NFL forecasting game would return this year, but with week 1 in the books and no sign of it, I have to assume it's not coming back. I know they're focused on other things this year, so I get it, but after I had so much fun with it last year, I was pretty bummed out, so I decided to play me against their forecast the old-fashioned way this season.

It's pretty simple: you pick a percentage chance of winning for each matchup, and gain points if they win, and lose points if they lose. The catch is that you can gain up to 25, but lose up to 75, so it's costly to be over-confident. There's a full scale for calculating points which I can post if anyone is interested. And if anyone else wants to play, I'm happy to figure out a way for us to do it here.

Their model earned 32.8 points this week, and I earned 10.5 points.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on September 15, 2020, 07:28:12 PM
Just award the Jets the name of Not in New York AFC Football Team and be done with it.

Nicely done, although that could also be the G-men, so we better specify AFC  :)
Hey, the Giants at least played regular season football. And they're already the New York Football Giants.

webny99

Quote from: Alps on September 16, 2020, 12:57:29 AM
Quote from: webny99 on September 15, 2020, 07:28:12 PM

Hey, the Giants at least played regular season football. And they're already the New York Football Giants.

On paper, losing by 10 to the Bills ≈ losing by 10 to the Steelers.
The difference is the Bills would have had 40+ points if not for missed field goals and Josh Allen fumbles, and the Jets would have had 10 if not for a garbage time touchdown.

webny99

Don't know why people were complaining about Browns-Bengals being on TNF. Two mediocre teams from the same state, a division rivalry, two interesting QB's including this year's #1 draft pick, both after their first W of the season. What's not to like?

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on September 17, 2020, 09:23:25 PM
Don't know why people were complaining about Browns-Bengals being on TNF. Two mediocre teams from the same state, a division rivalry, two interesting QB's including this year's #1 draft pick, both after their first W of the season. What's not to like?
TNF is all about two mediocre teams.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on September 18, 2020, 12:49:52 AM
Quote from: webny99 on September 17, 2020, 09:23:25 PM
Calling the Bengals mediocre is generous.

1995hoo

I think the main reason the two Ohio teams were chosen for last night is symbolic: September 17, 1920, was the date of the meeting in Canton at which the APFA (which later changed its name to the NFL) was founded.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 18, 2020, 10:50:34 AM

But calling Burrow mediocre is anti-generous.
Burrow had 61 (!) pass attempts last night. That's the most by a rookie since '01 and the second-most of all time!

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 18, 2020, 12:07:29 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 18, 2020, 10:50:34 AM

But calling Burrow mediocre is anti-generous.
Burrow had 61 (!) pass attempts last night. That's the most by a rookie since '01 and the second-most of all time!
Right. Burrow looks really good, the Bengals are bad.

Buck87

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 18, 2020, 11:06:25 AM
I think the main reason the two Ohio teams were chosen for last night is symbolic: September 17, 1920, was the date of the meeting in Canton at which the APFA (which later changed its name to the NFL) was founded.

Interesting fact, thanks for pointing that out. That would certainly makes sense.

Anyway, I enjoyed watching the Browns win the game last night. Our next game is against the Football Team. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.