News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Dak Prescott has just set the NFL record for most total passing yards in back-to-back games, with 922 (!) over the last two games. He broke Jared Goff's record of 912, set in weeks 4 and 5 of 2019. He also becomes the first Cowboys QB, and one of the first NFL QB's, to throw for over 400 yards twice in a row. This guy is unreal.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on September 27, 2020, 05:32:36 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 27, 2020, 04:53:11 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 20, 2020, 07:26:59 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 15, 2020, 10:15:10 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2020, 07:56:42 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 14, 2020, 03:37:55 AM
This season I'm following "the" Football Team just because :sombrero:.

I've decided I think I'll call every team by "[City Name] Football Team" (or, for New York and LA, "[City Name] [NFC or AFC] Football Team" except for continuing to call the local team the Washington Redskins.

Let's spice things up a bit. "Football Team" gets to take an opponent's nickname when they win.

Washington beat Philadelphia in Week 1, so Washington is now the Eagles and Philadelphia is "Football Team." When Philadelphia wins their next game, they get to take the opponent's nickname and "Football Team" passes to them. See who gets stuck as "Football Team" at the end of the season.

Philadelphia lost again, so they reamain "Football Team" for another week.

Philadelphia didn't lose today, but they didn't win either–they tied Cincinnati 23—23 and thus continue to be "Football Team."
In light of the bizarre event, I say the Bengals also absorb the Football Team nickname. So there will now be two Football Teams. What does everyone else think?

No, the nickname is like a cup, in case of a tie the team that has it retains it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 28, 2020, 07:23:19 AM
Quote from: thspfc on September 27, 2020, 05:32:36 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 27, 2020, 04:53:11 PM
Philadelphia didn't lose today, but they didn't win either–they tied Cincinnati 23—23 and thus continue to be "Football Team."
In light of the bizarre event, I say the Bengals also absorb the Football Team nickname. So there will now be two Football Teams. What does everyone else think?
No, the nickname is like a cup, in case of a tie the team that has it retains it.

I agree. I think Football Team needs a clear cut win, and their opponent a clear cut loss, in order for the name to be transferred.

US 89

Quote from: thspfc on September 27, 2020, 09:13:05 PM
Dak Prescott has just set the NFL record for most total passing yards in back-to-back games, with 922 (!) over the last two games. He broke Jared Goff's record of 912, set in weeks 4 and 5 of 2019. He also becomes the first Cowboys QB, and one of the first NFL QB's, to throw for over 400 yards twice in a row. This guy is unreal.

Not immune to mistakes though. He absolutely should not have thrown the ball where he did on that last play (especially after doing such a good job to stay on his feet). There's no reason to go for the end zone on 3rd down with less than 10 seconds left after the rest of the original play has already fallen apart. He should have thrown it away...but instead, he threw a Hail Mary pass that was pretty much a guaranteed interception.

SEWIGuy

Yeah, I'm not sure I would describe him as "unreal."  His team got caught up in a shootout for the second straight game so he threw the ball a lot.

thspfc

Quote from: US 89 on September 28, 2020, 09:17:55 AM
Quote from: thspfc on September 27, 2020, 09:13:05 PM

Not immune to mistakes though. He absolutely should not have thrown the ball where he did on that last play (especially after doing such a good job to stay on his feet). There's no reason to go for the end zone on 3rd down with less than 10 seconds left after the rest of the original play has already fallen apart. He should have thrown it away...but instead, he threw a Hail Mary pass that was pretty much a guaranteed interception.
All quarterbacks make mistakes. Some (ahem, Wentz) make a lot more than others. It's just about impossible to throw 57 passes and not make a mistake or two.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 28, 2020, 09:50:09 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure I would describe him as "unreal."  His team got caught up in a shootout for the second straight game so he threw the ball a lot.
Trailing by 15-20 points is not a shootout.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on September 28, 2020, 08:06:49 PM

Playing a couple games where you have to score 30+ points is a shootout.  Coming from behind only means he had to pass the ball.

Decent quarterback.  Hardly "unreal."

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 28, 2020, 08:59:01 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 28, 2020, 08:06:49 PM

Playing a couple games where you have to score 30+ points is a shootout.  Coming from behind only means he had to pass the ball.

Decent quarterback.  Hardly "unreal."
Ok

webny99

One word to describe my feelings about the Ravens: Distaste.

They get so much (IMO too much) respect because they can be so dominant, and dominance can get you to 14-2, but it can't beat the best teams. I don't care how dominant you are against the Browns and Texans of the world: You have to be able to overcome deficits and put up points quickly to be taken seriously as a Super Bowl contender, and they proved again last night that they're not there yet.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 29, 2020, 07:58:31 PM

They get so much (IMO too much) respect because they can be so dominant, and dominance can get you to 14-2, but it can't beat the best teams. I don't care how dominant you are against the Browns and Texans of the world: You have to be able to overcome deficits and put up points quickly to be taken seriously as a Super Bowl contender, and they proved again last night that they're not there yet.
It's becoming increasingly clear that Lamar Fakeson won the MVP on athletic ability, not football knowledge or leadership qualities. Put him against a defense that can figure him out, and he's toast. I've always had questions about his intelligence - he scored a 13 from 50 on the Wonderlic. Josh Allen, who was drafted the same year, scored 37.

webny99

Bills are somehow first in the AFC in points scored so far this year with 93, only narrowly ahead of the Chiefs and Ravens who both have 91. Packers and Seahawks are atop the NFC with 122 and 111 respectively.

Now here's a weird stat: the Giants have allowed 79 points, the fewest in the NFC East, and they're 0-3! Just goes to show how terrible that division really is.
Bucs and Bears have allowed the fewest points overall, with just 61 each.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2020, 08:37:50 AM

It's becoming increasingly clear that Lamar Fakeson won the MVP on athletic ability, not football knowledge or leadership qualities. Put him against a defense that can figure him out, and he's toast. I've always had questions about his intelligence - he scored a 13 from 50 on the Wonderlic. Josh Allen, who was drafted the same year, scored 37.

That is lazy.  He was top ten last year in numerous passing categories, including passer rating, which incorporates none of what he brings to the game with his running ability.

Calling him "fake" and "stupid" while comparing him to Josh Allen is hilarious.  I've seen both play plenty in their careers, and there is nothing to suggest that he plays dumber than Allen.  In fact, up until this year, I thought Allen wasn't very intelligent in his decision making.

ET21

Somehow Bears are 3-0, only in 2020  :-D :D :pan:
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 30, 2020, 12:31:46 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2020, 08:37:50 AM

That is lazy.  He was top ten last year in numerous passing categories, including passer rating, which incorporates none of what he brings to the game with his running ability.
But it does incorporate what he brings with his running ability. Do you know anything about the present-day NFL? Most defenses are scared of Jackson running all over them, so they sell out against the run and basically let him throw the ball. The Chiefs, for whatever reason, did not do that on Monday, and it worked. Jackson is 0-3 against the Chiefs and 21-3 against the rest of the NFL. They have his number. Whatever he is doing is not good enough. If he wants to win a conference title, he'll need to get past the Chiefs, as well as one or two other quality teams who will pose a real threat to how he wants to play. We've already seen two teams - Chargers in '18 and Titans in '19 - completely humiliate him on his home field in the playoffs. Going 14-2 is impressive. Winning MVP is extremely impressive. But you know some other quarterbacks who have gone 12-4, or 13-3, or 14-2? Mitch Trubisky, Jared Goff, Dak Prescott, Matt Ryan . . .

Calling him "fake" and "stupid" while comparing him to Josh Allen is hilarious.  I've seen both play plenty in their careers, and there is nothing to suggest that he plays dumber than Allen.  In fact, up until this year, I thought Allen wasn't very intelligent in his decision making.
For one, I was not comparing his talent or ability to Allen. I was merely comparing his intelligence to Allen. Anyone with eyes can see that Jackson is the superior athlete. If you put me in charge of redrafting the NFL, I would pick Jackson long before Allen. I also did not call him stupid. I said I have questions about his intelligence. Maybe he's very smart, but math is not his strong suit. I don't know.

thspfc

Quote from: ET21 on September 30, 2020, 12:44:39 PM
They went 12-4 two years ago. I'm more surprised by the Steelers and Bills being 3-0 than I am by the Bears being 3-0.

webny99

Only team in NFL history to overcome multiple 16-point 4th quarter deficits in a single season, and it's only Week 3!

Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2020, 12:56:54 PM
They went 12-4 two years ago. I'm more surprised by the Steelers and Bills being 3-0 than I am by the Bears being 3-0.

But the Bills and Steelers are actually 3-0 type teams. The Bears are, well... not. They're a defense-first team that's been lucky and had two improbable comebacks, plus a narrow win against the winless Giants. I think they're a fradulent 3-0, and I bet the Colts prove it this weekend.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 30, 2020, 01:12:17 PM

Only team in NFL history to overcome multiple 16-point 4th quarter deficits in a single season, and it's only Week 3!

But the Bills and Steelers are actually 3-0 type teams. The Bears are, well... not. They're a defense-first team that's been lucky and had two improbable comebacks, plus a narrow win against the winless Giants. I think they're a fradulent 3-0, and I bet the Colts prove it this weekend.
Yes, they're a bad 3-0. Maybe the worst 3-0 team in five years.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2020, 01:15:34 PM

Speaking as a Bears fan, I have to agree.  They would be 0-3 right now if not for:
-D'Andre Swift's drop on the 2nd-to-last play week 1
-Golden Tate's OPI on the last play week 2
-Tashaun Gipson's INT with a minute left week 3

It definitely felt like the Falcons were exposing the Bears before #BigDickNick did his thing yet again.  I'm curious to see how the Colts gameplan on defense now that he's officially the starter moving forward.  Playing zone and daring Mitch to complete a deep ball won't work anymore :spin:
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2020, 01:15:34 PM

The Bears have a shit offensive line. They've had a shit offensive line since about 1995. A QB change can only do so much with an OL this bad. It's incomprehensible that they drafted a TE with one of their two 2nd round picks when they have an OL this bad. Patrick Mahomes couldn't win more than 10 games behind this OL.

There was discussion about Lamar Jackson and the reason his stats are so much better than his talent is his OL. Same with Garoppolo.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2020, 12:55:27 PM
Jackson is 0-3 against the Chiefs and 21-3 against the rest of the NFL. ...
We've already seen two teams - Chargers in '18 and Titans in '19 - completely humiliate him on his home field in the playoffs.

Right, which means his regular season record is 21-1 against non-Chiefs teams. The one loss? A 40-25 loss to the Browns exactly one year ago yesterday.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 30, 2020, 01:59:31 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2020, 12:55:27 PM
Jackson is 0-3 against the Chiefs and 21-3 against the rest of the NFL. ...
We've already seen two teams - Chargers in '18 and Titans in '19 - completely humiliate him on his home field in the playoffs.

Right, which means his regular season record is 21-1 against non-Chiefs teams. The one loss? A 40-25 loss to the Browns exactly one year ago yesterday.
Yes, but we're not talking about only the regular season.

webny99

Here's the latest Titans COVID update: https://www.nfl.com/news/pittsburgh-steelers-tennessee-titans-game-postponed-until-monday-or-tuesday
It was always just a matter of time before positive COVID tests occured in-season, and here we are.

ilpt4u

Quote from: webny99 on September 30, 2020, 04:52:28 PM
Here's the latest Titans COVID update: https://www.nfl.com/news/pittsburgh-steelers-tennessee-titans-game-postponed-until-monday-or-tuesday
It was always just a matter of time before positive COVID tests occured in-season, and here we are.
Steelers/Titans will not be played W4. Officially postponed indefinately

The "simplest"  solution will be to move the Ravens Bye and Play Steelers/Titans to W7 (Originally Titans Bye Week; Steelers/Ravens scheduled), and move Steelers/Ravens to W8 (Originally Steelers and Ravens Bye Week). Titans and Steelers Bye becomes W4

Alps

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 01, 2020, 12:01:10 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 30, 2020, 04:52:28 PM
Steelers/Titans will not be played W4. Officially postponed indefinately

The "simplest"  solution will be to move the Ravens Bye and Play Steelers/Titans to W7 (Originally Titans Bye Week; Steelers/Ravens scheduled), and move Steelers/Ravens to W8 (Originally Steelers and Ravens Bye Week). Titans and Steelers Bye becomes W4
Email the commish. I don't trust anyone in the NFL to have good ideas.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.