News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: I-55 on October 20, 2020, 04:54:22 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 20, 2020, 10:44:28 AM
Quote from: thspfc on October 20, 2020, 10:24:10 AM
I predict the Cowboys will win that division at 7-9, with five wins coming inside the division and the other two being the Bengals and Niners/Vikings.

I dunno, I think I would take the Eagles to win the division if I had to pick. Both teams *should* win this week, in which case the winner of the week 8 game would take the lead.

Considering that the Bengals have had 5 games decided by 1 possession, I think they could beat Dallas. They've demonstrated that they can play they just haven't finished games well.
Considering that the Cowboys have had four games decided by one possession, that claim is irrelevant.

webny99

I predict the Cowboys will win that division at 7-9, with five wins coming inside the division and the other two being the Bengals and Niners/Vikings.
I dunno, I think I would take the Eagles to win the division if I had to pick. Both teams *should* win this week, in which case the winner of the week 8 game would take the lead.

Update: with the Eagles' win over the Giants last night, the winner of Cowboys-Eagles next week is a lock to have the division lead, regardless of Sunday's Cowboys/Washington outcome.

If the Cowboys beat Washington, they'll be in the lead at 3-4, but Philly can take the lead at 3-4-1 with a win.
If the Cowboys lose to Washington, they'll be in second at 2-5, but they can take the lead at 3-5 with a win.

Washington isn't in the mix even if they beat the Cowboys, because they have a Week 8 bye.
(Yes, I'm having way too much fun with this. The NFC East is so terrible that it has ironically become the most entertaining division race to track.  :-D)

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 23, 2020, 11:09:22 PM

Update: with the Eagles' win over the Giants last night, the winner of Cowboys-Eagles next week is a lock to have the division lead, regardless of Sunday's Cowboys/Washington outcome.

If the Cowboys beat Washington, they'll be in the lead at 3-4, but Philly can take the lead at 3-4-1 with a win.
If the Cowboys lose to Washington, they'll be in second at 2-5, but they can take the lead at 3-5 with a win.

Washington isn't in the mix even if they beat the Cowboys, because they have a Week 8 bye.
(Yes, I'm having way too much fun with this. The NFC East is so terrible that it has ironically become the most entertaining division race to track.  :-D)
Thanks for the in-depth statistical analysis. Couldn't have figured that out. Also, Philly does not play on Sunday, meaning the division lead is mercifully all Dallas's if they don't screw up against Washington.
Can't wait to see what happens when the NFC East winner is 8-8 or 9-7 (or 8-7-1 etc.) instead of 2-14 like you would figure if you only listened to this guy. The NFC East is bad. There is not a quality team in the division. But it is unlikely that the winner of the division will be worse than the 2010 Seahawks, who were 7-9.

thspfc

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 24, 2020, 08:35:21 AM

I know that Mayfield is in a position to talk after consecutive multi-intercpetion games. Would be a better meme if it was one of the Browns' running backs.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 24, 2020, 04:25:14 PM
... Can't wait to see what happens when the NFC East winner is 8-8 or 9-7 (or 8-7-1 etc.) instead of 2-14 like you would figure if you only listened to this guy.

This guy being... me?

I think that since every team has six division games, and the Cowboys and Eagles already have a win outside the division, the winner could be 7-9 or 6-10, but anything lower than that is probably infeasible.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 24, 2020, 05:19:31 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 24, 2020, 04:25:14 PM
... Can't wait to see what happens when the NFC East winner is 8-8 or 9-7 (or 8-7-1 etc.) instead of 2-14 like you would figure if you only listened to this guy.

This guy being... me?

I think that since every team has six division games, and the Cowboys and Eagles already have a win outside the division, the winner could be 7-9 or 6-10, but anything lower than that is probably infeasible.
I was exxagerating. So long as there are no more ties, it's not mathematically possible anymore for the division winner to be worse than 5-11. I was just saying that if you only listened to webny99 about the 2020 NFC East, you would think the '60 Cowboys, '76 Buccaneers, '08 Lions, and '17 Browns got stuck in the same division. Really, it's just two meh teams (PHI and DAL), and two worse than meh, but not super bad, teams (NYG and WAS).

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 24, 2020, 06:47:32 PM
... I was just saying that if you only listened to webny99 about the 2020 NFC East, you would think the '60 Cowboys, '76 Buccaneers, '08 Lions, and '17 Browns got stuck in the same division. Really, it's just two meh teams (PHI and DAL), and two worse than meh, but not super bad, teams (NYG and WAS).

I'm not saying they're the four worst teams in the league, but 6-19-1 (with 4 of those wins being against each other) is a pathetic record, and it is a historically bad division. And the Giants and Washington are "super bad" no matter how you cut it. The Jags and Jets are the only other teams that might be as bad or worse.

SSOWorld

Quote from: thspfc on October 24, 2020, 04:30:48 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on October 24, 2020, 08:35:21 AM
I know that Mayfield is in a position to talk after consecutive multi-intercpetion games. Would be a better meme if it was one of the Browns' running backs.
They used the QBs for this meme since last year.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

1995hoo

Dallas QB knocked out on an ugly helmet-to-helmet hit when he was already sliding to give himself up. The Redskin player who did that should be suspended. Totally unnecessary and dangerous play. (If the league doesn't suspend him, Ron Rivera should because without the penalty, Dallas would have had to punt.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on October 20, 2020, 04:40:26 PM
Quote from: US 89 on October 20, 2020, 11:32:03 AM
Both teams *should* win this week
After watching the Cowboys' abysmal play last night, I don't think I would be comfortable making a statement like that even if it is against Washington. ...
We'll see what happens, but since Week 1, Washington hasn't done anything to convince me they're actually trying to win games (last week's failed 2 point conversion to win notwithstanding). My thought process about the upcoming game is basically the same as it was about the Giants game: Sure, they're bad, maybe even verging on terrible, but not bad enough to lose a division game to The Football Team, especially one like this that would let them back in to the thick of the race for the division title.

... and congratulations to the Washington Football Team on your second win!
Don't thank me: all I did was hit "post" to clinch the win for you.  :-|

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 25, 2020, 04:59:43 PM
Quote from: webny99 on October 20, 2020, 04:40:26 PM
Quote from: US 89 on October 20, 2020, 11:32:03 AM
Both teams *should* win this week
After watching the Cowboys' abysmal play last night, I don't think I would be comfortable making a statement like that even if it is against Washington. ...
We'll see what happens, but since Week 1, Washington hasn't done anything to convince me they're actually trying to win games (last week's failed 2 point conversion to win notwithstanding). My thought process about the upcoming game is basically the same as it was about the Giants game: Sure, they're bad, maybe even verging on terrible, but not bad enough to lose a division game to The Football Team, especially one like this that would let them back in to the thick of the race for the division title.

... and congratulations to the Washington Football Team on your second win!
Don't thank me: all I did was hit "post" to clinch the win for you.  :-|
I think we all knew that Dak is a good quarterback, even before he got hurt. But if you look at where this team was with him at QB (averaging 32.6 points per game) versus where they are now without him (averaging 6.5 points per game), I don't know that one could say with a straight face that he's not at least a top 7-8 QB.

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2020, 07:32:40 AM
Quote from: kurumi on October 04, 2020, 11:40:03 PM
Philly won in SF, so here's the latest:
* Washington Eagles
* Philadelphia 49ers
* San Francisco Football Team

San Francisco are now the Rams. In the interest of clarity, I guess we now have the Los Angeles NFC Football Team ("NFC" being necessary because of their other team).

Los Angeles Bears
Chicago Football Team (next Sunday: home against New Orleans)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 27, 2020, 07:51:08 AM
* Washington Eagles
* Philadelphia 49ers

San Francisco are now the Rams. In the interest of clarity, I guess we now have the Los Angeles NFC Football Team ("NFC" being necessary because of their other team).

Los Angeles Bears

As a lifelong Bears fan, I'm beyond frustrated by the team's inability for 25+ years to put together a quality offensive line. They keep trading for and drafting quarterbacks when it's been long past the point that the team should have figured out that quarterback is not the biggest problem.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jmacswimmer

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 27, 2020, 08:10:14 AM
As a lifelong Bears fan, I'm beyond frustrated by the team's inability for 25+ years to put together a quality offensive line. They keep trading for and drafting quarterbacks when it's been long past the point that the team should have figured out that quarterback is not the biggest problem.

Yup.  With each passing season, I better understand the pessimistic attitude my dad has that the Bears will ever field a competent offense.  (And of course during the brief interval that the Bears actually had a high-powered offense under Trestman, the defense completely imploded :banghead:)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 27, 2020, 08:10:14 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 27, 2020, 07:51:08 AM
* Washington Eagles
* Philadelphia 49ers

Los Angeles Bears

Over the past two-ish years, I have never understood why Trubisky has gotten blamed for literally everything that has gone wrong for the Bears. He is not a high-caliber starting QB by any stretch, but with how much criticism he gets, you would think he is DeShone Kizer or Nathan Peterman. That team has always had bigger problems than the quarterback, and they still do with Foles.

webny99

Unfortunately for how the draft played out, Trubisky basically would've had to be better than Mahomes to not be blamed for all the problems and considered a huge bust.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 27, 2020, 01:11:18 PM
Unfortunately for how the draft played out, Trubisky basically would've had to be better than Mahomes to not be blamed for all the problems and considered a huge bust.
That is true.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2020, 08:37:50 AM
It's becoming increasingly clear that Lamar Fakeson won the MVP on athletic ability, not football knowledge or leadership qualities. Put him against a defense that can figure him out, and he's toast.
Is all.

I-55

Quote from: thspfc on November 01, 2020, 04:28:39 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 30, 2020, 08:37:50 AM
It's becoming increasingly clear that Lamar Fakeson won the MVP on athletic ability, not football knowledge or leadership qualities. Put him against a defense that can figure him out, and he's toast.
Is all.

Someone watched the Steelers game?

Cincy finally won again, if they won all of their 1 possession games the Bungles would be 7-1 and one game behind the lead of the AFC North. Cincy ain't as bad as people think, they just haven't been able to finish games.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

webny99

Bills squeak out a win over the Pats for the first time since 2016! Wow, that feels good. This team has tortured the Bills for two full decades, and I don't say that lightly: Bills were 5-35, now 6-35, against the Pats since 2000.

It was also Sean McDermott's first win over Bill Belichick.

TheHighwayMan3561

Vikings upset Green Bay in a game the Packers clearly had no interest in given their Thursday night game in San Francisco this week. Love beating those (bleeps) especially when they think they're just going to cruise past us.

That's the kind of loss that hurts at playoff time when you're fighting for seeding.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Speaking of which, I'm still a little miffed the Packers stole the #2 seed last year when the Saints were clearly much more deserving, so I was glad to see the Vikings show up today and notch their second win.

The Niners/Packers game should be interesting: Niners blew them out twice last year, once in the regular season and once in the playoffs. Will be interesting to see which Packers team shows up in what is now a very important game for the Niners.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on November 01, 2020, 10:41:16 PM
Speaking of which, I'm still a little miffed the Packers stole the #2 seed last year when the Saints were clearly much more deserving, so I was glad to see the Vikings show up today and notch their second win.

The Niners/Packers game should be interesting: Niners blew them out twice last year, once in the regular season and once in the playoffs. Will be interesting to see which Packers team shows up in what is now a very important game for the Niners.
Wow, you love to whine about teams winning close games, don’t you.

The Saints lost in the wild card round. To the Vikings. The Packers beat the Vikings twice that season. The Packers made the NFC Championship. If you wanted to say that the Saints should have gotten then second seed before the wild card round last year, fine, but after the fact, it’s very clear who the better team was. Don’t say wElL tHe PaCkErS gOt DeStRoYeD bY tHe 49ErS. That doesn’t matter in this context since the Saints couldn’t even make the second round, much less the conference championship game.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.