News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 07, 2020, 04:50:47 PM
A more memorable safety for me was on the day after Thanksgiving in 1994 when one of our guys intercepted NC State's two-point conversion attempt and ran it back 100 yards (NC State still won the game 30—27). As my father said at the time, "That's a lot of work for just two points."
I mean, not really. It takes like 18-19 seconds for me to run 100 yards, and I'm slower than most college football players. I believe that a defensive two point conversion has only happened twice in the NFL: a Saints/Panthers game in 2015 and a Chiefs/Falcons game in 2016. The latter was extremely signficant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPOClZbHQG4

1995hoo

Quote from: thspfc on December 07, 2020, 04:56:51 PM
A more memorable safety for me was on the day after Thanksgiving in 1994 when one of our guys intercepted NC State's two-point conversion attempt and ran it back 100 yards (NC State still won the game 30—27). As my father said at the time, "That's a lot of work for just two points."
I mean, not really. It takes like 18-19 seconds for me to run 100 yards, and I'm slower than most college football players. ...

:rolleyes: That was not his point.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

jmd41280

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 07, 2020, 08:32:23 PM
Hail to the Redskins!

Coming from a Steelers fan, good game. Washington played a hell of a game and the Steelers did not play like a 11-0 (now 11-1) team. Between this game and the Ravens game, our receivers dropped way too many passes.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 07, 2020, 07:50:35 PM
I mean, not really. It takes like 18-19 seconds for me to run 100 yards, and I'm slower than most college football players. ...

"That was not the point", proceeds to not state the point . . .

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on December 07, 2020, 09:42:18 PM

The point was it was only for 2 points, not 6 points.

webny99

Wow, the Giants beat the Seahawks, and the Football Team beats the unbeaten Steelers.
That's two of the biggest upsets of the season in one week! The NFC East just never fails to be entertaining!

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2020, 11:30:12 PM
You'd think it would be obvious why 0-12 is better than 4-8
The draft is an educated guessing game at best and a lottery at worst. Obviously this year there's a large gap between the top pick and second pick, but Lawrence is the best prospect in almost a decade according to most experts, so this is not how it usually is. Last year, you had Burrow, Tua, and Herbert all at the top of the draft, and all of them look like franchise quarterbacks. There's not too much difference there, and if there is, it's actually Herbert, who was the last picked of the three, at the top. In 2018 you had Mayfield at #1 (meh), Darnold at #3 (ick), Allen at #7 (boom!), and Rosen at #10 (big yikes). Then you had Lamar at #32. In 2017? Trubisky is the top QB taken, before Mahomes and Watson. 2016? The best QB in the draft doesn't come off the board until the fourth round (Prescott). So there will be memes about sucking (tank for Tua, bomb for Burrow, tank for Trevor, etc.) until the sun burns out. But you still have to hit on the pick. And in three of the last four drafts, the team with the top pick messed up. If you gave me a choice right now to play for the 0-12 Jets or the 4-8 Panthers, I would play for the Panthers in a heartbeat, because I don't like losing. I would rather play for an actual team with an actual coach and have a worse lottery ticket, than play for a joke team with a joke coach and have a better lottery ticket.

NWI_Irish96

I like having two games on Monday. I'd like to see the Thursday games (except for opening week and Thanksgiving) moved to Monday. I know the players would like having fewer Thursday games.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 07, 2020, 09:45:58 PM

Who cares? Points are points.

Billy F 1988

Quote from: thspfc on December 07, 2020, 10:25:27 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 07, 2020, 09:45:58 PM

Who cares? Points are points.
Points only count unless you're playing horseshoes and hand grenades! :D
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

webny99

It's official: With a 34-24 win over the 49ers, the Hail Murray play cost the Bills a sweep of the NFC West this season.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on December 07, 2020, 11:30:06 PM
It's official: With a 34-24 win over the 49ers, the Hail Murray play cost the Bills a sweep of the NFC West this season.

And we'd be all alone in the 7 seed with a little margin for error if you hadn't messed up. :bigass:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 07, 2020, 11:51:52 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 07, 2020, 11:30:06 PM

And we'd be all alone in the 7 seed with a little margin for error if you hadn't messed up. :bigass:

Bills dropped 143 points on the NFC West, should've been an easy sweep, smh...

My big takeaway from this week though, is that the AFC is proving to be the much stronger conference this year. The 6-6 Vikings are in the #7 spot; the 6-6 Pats, meanwhile, are all the way back in the #10 spot, hardly even in the mix with the Raiders, Browns, Ravens, Dolphins, and loser of Colts-Titans all ahead of them in the race for for the 3 wild card slots.

TheHighwayMan3561

Vikings and Cards are 6-6, and a glut are 5-7 including the Lions, Bears, Giants, Football Team, and 49ers. WSH/SF this week is basically an elimination game but the Niners are trending downward. Bears have quit. Lions will likely lose to Green Bay. Cardinals/Giants is a game Arizona has to win at this point. Vikings will probably lose to Tampa Bay so I'm hoping the Cards fall to the Giants.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Not to bring up the Hail Murray again, but it's also the only thing standing between the Cardinals and a 5-game losing streak, so that does set up an interesting Cards-Giants matchup that the Giants really need to win too with the Browns and Ravens on the horizon.

plain

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 08, 2020, 12:40:34 AM
Vikings and Cards are 6-6, and a glut are 5-7 including the Lions, Bears, Giants, Football Team, and 49ers. WSH/SF this week is basically an elimination game but the Niners are trending downward. Bears have quit. Lions will likely lose to Green Bay. Cardinals/Giants is a game Arizona has to win at this point. Vikings will probably lose to Tampa Bay so I'm hoping the Cards fall to the Giants.
As a Giants fan, I'm also hoping the Cards fall to the Giants :-D

Also, as a Giants fan, of all the teams the Steelers could lose to, it just HAD to be Washington :banghead:
Newark born, Richmond bred

1995hoo

Mildly interesting to note that the last Washington victory over Pittsburgh was on November 17, 1991, at old Three Rivers Stadium to push the Redskins to 11—0; they then lost the following week en route to a 14—2 regular season and a win in Super Bowl XXVI. The 11—0 aspect is kind of amusing in light of Pittsburgh's record going into yesterday's game.

I was there the last time a Washington team won at Heinz Field before yesterday–the 2011 Winter Classic.

The earlier kickoff yesterday was nice, although 5:00 is awfully early on the East Coast. It'd be nice if they'd kick off the Monday night games around 6:30 or 7:00 on a regular basis. Easier to stay awake to the end of the game!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 08, 2020, 12:40:34 AM
Wish the Pats were in the NFC this year.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Big John

Quote from: nexus73 on December 07, 2020, 02:45:49 PM

Back in 1974 in SoCal, there was a high school score of 7-4.  The NFL record for safeties in a game is 3.  I believe it was the Rams who set it against the Giants.

Rick
I was on the high school football team which lost 4-0 in 1984.

NWI_Irish96

I was on a HS team that won a game 6-2. With a 6-0 lead, stopped them on 4th and goal, burned their 3 timeouts, then the punter ran around in the end zone for 5 seconds to run out the clock.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 07, 2020, 12:38:35 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2020, 08:54:58 PM
(I still want to see a game end with a 6—1 score, but insofar as I'm aware, no NFL team has ever scored a one-point safety.)
The 1-point Safety scored by the Offense/against the Defense (as when the Try begins) is much more likely than the 1-point Safety scored by the Defense/against the Offense (as when the Try begins). But when the Offense/"Trying"  team scores a 1-point Safety, it is functionally the same thing as successfully converting the PAT kick thru the uprights, awarding 1 point in addition to the 6 pt TD.

The Offensive 1-point Safety has happened in CFB a few times. The Defensive 1-point Safety, I'm not sure has happened at any level of football, because it takes a ridiculous set of circumstances to make it happen. It would almost *have* to be done intentionally

I expect we'll see an Offensive 1-point Safety in the NFL sometime. Next week or in the next decade, who knows, but I think it will happen. It is an odd play, but it at least has realistic circumstances where it could happen
I thought it HAS happened defensively - someone blocked the kick, ran it back, but was caught up to and force-fumbled the ball out of bounds. Not at a high level, but on video.

formulanone

ilpt4u

Quote from: Alps on December 08, 2020, 03:56:16 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 07, 2020, 12:38:35 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2020, 08:54:58 PM
(I still want to see a game end with a 6—1 score, but insofar as I'm aware, no NFL team has ever scored a one-point safety.)
The 1-point Safety scored by the Offense/against the Defense (as when the Try begins) is much more likely than the 1-point Safety scored by the Defense/against the Offense (as when the Try begins). But when the Offense/"Trying"  team scores a 1-point Safety, it is functionally the same thing as successfully converting the PAT kick thru the uprights, awarding 1 point in addition to the 6 pt TD.

The Offensive 1-point Safety has happened in CFB a few times. The Defensive 1-point Safety, I'm not sure has happened at any level of football, because it takes a ridiculous set of circumstances to make it happen. It would almost *have* to be done intentionally

I expect we'll see an Offensive 1-point Safety in the NFL sometime. Next week or in the next decade, who knows, but I think it will happen. It is an odd play, but it at least has realistic circumstances where it could happen
I thought it HAS happened defensively - someone blocked the kick, ran it back, but was caught up to and force-fumbled the ball out of bounds. Not at a high level, but on video.
That isn't a Safety, tho. That would be a Touchback - ball fumbled forward into the EZ then out of bounds is a Touchback, which on a PAT play means the try is unsuccessful

Other than an Intentional Safety (Offense intentially runs backwards into their own EZ and takes a knee at the snap), for it to happen "naturally"  would have to be something such as: Defense gets the ball on the Try, runs it back, fumbles the ball somewhere short of the Goal Line but inside the 5. The Offense pursues, recovers the ball in the field of play, and decides, for some reason, to run back into the EZ and gets tackled in the EZ or steps out of bounds.

Maybe it is a do or die play that the Offense needs the points to win or lose, so some sort of incentive to make a miracle happen - but in that scenario, the Defense should simply take a knee when they get the ball. Like I said, within the rules, but takes an outlandish set of circumstances to actually make it happen

webny99

With all the schedule shake-ups the NFL has had to date, it's worth pointing out that this is the first calendar week we've encountered with games on three weeknights: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

The first Tuesday game, Bills-Titans in Week 5, pushed the Bills TNF game to the following Monday, so we only had Mon/Tue that week.
Then last week, Ravens-Steelers on Wednesday pushed the Ravens TNF matchup back to today, so we only had Mon/Wed last week.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.