News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: Alps on January 26, 2021, 05:55:19 PM
Jets should be much higher on that list. Their coaching/system ruins young quarterbacks. Get someone already established and they've got a shot.

My thinking is that Darnold has potential, and I'd be really interested to see what Saleh can do with him. Obviously if he gets traded, they're much higher.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2021, 06:27:16 PM
Jets should be much higher on that list. Their coaching/system ruins young quarterbacks. Get someone already established and they've got a shot.

My thinking is that Darnold has potential, and I'd be really interested to see what Saleh can do with him. Obviously if he gets traded, they're much higher.

Saleh is a defensive coach, so in terms of Darnold's development, he won't be the guy for that.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

US 89

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 26, 2021, 06:38:56 PM

Saleh is a defensive coach, so in terms of Darnold's development, he won't be the guy for that.

Also, Darnold had potential before the Jets drafted him. Look at what happened to Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on January 26, 2021, 06:40:07 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 26, 2021, 06:38:56 PM

Also, Darnold had potential before the Jets drafted him. Look at what happened to Mark Sanchez and Geno Smith.

There's no denying the unending QB problems the Jets have had, but I think Saleh was a great hire for head coach. That's not everything, but it's a monster step in the right direction. (It would be Mike LeFleur working directly with Darnold, obviously).

dvferyance

I think it's now accurate to say that Rodgers is a great regular season qb. But in the post season however he is garbage. He is now 1-4 in NFC championship games and his one and only win came against a Bears team with Caleb Haney at qb. That isn't saying much. Two of those losses were blowouts against the Falcons and 49ers.

webny99

Quote from: dvferyance on January 28, 2021, 01:18:31 PM
I think it's now accurate to say that Rodgers is a great regular season qb. But in the post season however he is garbage. He is now 1-4 in NFC championship games and his one and only win came against a Bears team with Caleb Haney at qb. That isn't saying much. Two of those losses were blowouts against the Falcons and 49ers.

There was a weird stat going around about Rodgers this week... something like he's never come back from down more than a point against a team with a winning record? Crazy if true.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2021, 09:14:08 AM
Will Deshaun Watson end up getting traded? I can't believe it could happen.
So sick of the Watson drama. Seriously - you can't tell me that a WIDE RECEIVERS coach for the 32ND RANKED PASSING OFFENSE is a good hire. But he's being a little whiner by not doing simple basic respect acts like returning calls from the team. My wild guess is that the organization isn't going to be interested in giving him what he wants if he can't show them the tiniest ounce of respect. Watson is going nowhere and he is going to continue to get credit for putting up good stats en route to bad playoffs-less seasons (while guys like Dak Prescott get heavily scrutinized - remember when Dak was breaking all kinds of records during the Cowboys' 1-3 start? People were ripping him), just so that the media can keep painting the picture of the Texans organization being the bad guys.

webny99

It's unbelievable that a top-5 QB coming off a statistically great season finished with a 4-12 record. What has the Texans organization done to earn Watson's respect? Nothing. Of course there's media hype because it this is unlike anything that's ever happened in NFL history, but it couldn't be more obvious that the organization is at fault. You simply cannot ever, ever let things get to this point with your franchise QB.

brad2971

Quote from: webny99 on January 28, 2021, 10:50:48 PM
It's unbelievable that a top-5 QB coming off a statistically great season finished with a 4-12 record. What has the Texans organization done to earn Watson's respect? Nothing. Of course there's media hype because it this is unlike anything that's ever happened in NFL history, but it couldn't be more obvious that the organization is at fault. You simply cannot ever, ever let things get to this point with your franchise QB.
Outside the "Love ya Blue" Houston Oilers of the late '70s, what happened with DeShaun Watson is typical Houston NFL behavior. I don't blame DeShaun for wanting out.

Considering both Bob McNair (Texans) and Bud Adams (Oilers) were veterans of the oil&gas business, maybe oil&gas ownership should be considered a red flag. Compare that with the Fertitta brothers owning the successful Houston Rockets and Jim Crane owning the Houston Astros, neither of whom are that heavily involved in Houston's hometown big industry.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 28, 2021, 10:50:48 PM
The only thing they did wrong was not hand the keys of the organization to Watson. How dare them hire a GM by themselves, rather than let their young quarterback do it for them? Players should never, ever have final say over management descisions off the field. Then, Watson tried to manipulate the franchise into hiring his head coaching pick. In doing so, instead of trying to have a real conversation (he stopped returning calls), he threatened to force his way out. And I'll reiterate. Brady and Mahomes are often highly praised for their W/L records. Prescott gets knocked for putting up good stats but mediocre W/L records. The Texans went 4-12. Yet Watson is catching no blame for any of it. This is a huge clown show on the part of Watson and the media. Whether or not wins are truly a QB stat is beyond the point. Let's just enforce the rules equally please.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 29, 2021, 11:03:20 AM
The only thing they did wrong was not hand the keys of the organization to Watson. How dare them hire a GM by themselves, rather than let their young quarterback do it for them? Players should never, ever have final say over management descisions off the field. Then, Watson tried to manipulate the franchise into hiring his head coaching pick. In doing so, instead of trying to have a real conversation (he stopped returning calls), he threatened to force his way out. And I'll reiterate. Brady and Mahomes are often highly praised for their W/L records. Prescott gets knocked for putting up good stats but mediocre W/L records. The Texans went 4-12. Yet Watson is catching no blame for any of it. This is a huge clown show on the part of Watson and the media. Whether or not wins are truly a QB stat is beyond the point. Let's just enforce the rules equally please.

Of course Watson isn't going to have final say in management decisions. He just wanted to be in the conversation for the head coach hire, which is 100% fair. Again, you expect a clown show from the media because it's an unprecedented situation, but the organization created the situation in the first place. Things like this do not happen in competent organizations, period. How could you blame Watson for having enough of it?

Also, why on Earth would he catch blame for their record? He should be credited for their record, because they're 0-16 without him.

CoreySamson

I blame a lot of the 4-12 record on the past mistakes of the coaching staff, particularly Bill O'Brien and Cal McNair. Years before O'Brien was fired, many other Texans fans I knew already wanted him out during the Osweiler fiasco. Webny, you're very right that Watson was all keeping the team from being 0-16, every position is garbage other than kicker, linebacker, and quarterback. I'm just not really a fan of the Texans much anymore because of their management. I really hope Watson and Watt excel with a different team.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 29, 2021, 11:35:24 AM
Quote from: thspfc on January 29, 2021, 11:03:20 AM

Of course Watson isn't going to have final say in management decisions. He just wanted to be in the conversation for the head coach hire, which is 100% fair. Again, you expect a clown show from the media because it's an unprecedented situation, but the organization created the situation in the first place. Things like this do not happen in competent organizations, period. How could you blame Watson for having enough of it?

Also, why on Earth would he catch blame for their record? He should be credited for their record, because they're 0-16 without him.
I don't blame him for wanting out. I blame him for acting immature by not giving them the time of day.

And I guess we're now giving credit to QBs for 4-12 records. I think this fiasco has broken the NFL and its media

webny99

Big John

^^ The draft picks are two 1sts and a 3rd

NWI_Irish96

There have only been three of the past 20 seasons that none of Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, or Ben Roethisberger started in the Super Bowl.

XXXVII: Brad Johnson vs Rich Gannon
XLVII: Joe Flacco vs Colin Kapernick
LIV: Patrick Mahomes vs Jimmy Garropolo
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

So the last Super Bowl to be played before the whole Brady/Manning/Big Ben madness started would be XXXV, when Trent Dilfer faced off against Kerry Collins.

Brady has faced Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning* (twice), Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, Nick Foles*, Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes (TBD)

Manning has faced Jay Cutler, Drew Brees*, Russell Wilson* and Cam Newton

Big Ben has faced Matt Hasselbeck, Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers*

*--indicates that they lost against their opposing QB
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on February 02, 2021, 11:10:49 AM
So the last Super Bowl to be played before the whole Brady/Manning/Big Ben madness started would be XXXV, when Trent Dilfer faced off against Kerry Collins.

Brady has faced Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme, Donovan McNabb, Eli Manning* (twice), Russell Wilson, Matt Ryan, Nick Foles*, Jared Goff and Patrick Mahomes (TBD)

Manning has faced Jay Cutler"Rex Grossman is our quarterback", Drew Brees*, Russell Wilson* and Cam Newton

Big Ben has faced Matt Hasselbeck, Kurt Warner and Aaron Rodgers*

*--indicates that they lost against their opposing QB

thspfc

Honestly, I really don't see any competition to the Bucs in the NFC for next season. Packers and Seahawks always screw up in the playoffs. Rams maybe, but that's it. I would not be surprised at all to see the Bucs back in the Super Bowl next year regardless of this year's result. In fact, I'm more confident about the Bucs being in next year's Super Bowl than I am about the Chiefs doing the same. Chiefs have real competition - Bills and Browns most notably, and there are a host of others like the Ravens, Titans, Colts, and Dolphins.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on February 02, 2021, 04:28:04 PM
Honestly, I really don't see any competition to the Bucs in the NFC for next season. Packers and Seahawks always screw up in the playoffs. Rams maybe, but that's it. I would not be surprised at all to see the Bucs back in the Super Bowl next year regardless of this year's result. In fact, I'm more confident about the Bucs being in next year's Super Bowl than I am about the Chiefs doing the same. Chiefs have real competition - Bills and Browns most notably, and there are a host of others like the Ravens, Titans, Colts, and Dolphins.

I've said this before and I'll say it again--the NFL really needs to drop the Conferences and operate as a single, 8-division league. Get better teams in the playoffs and better matchups in the playoffs.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 02, 2021, 04:28:04 PM

The Rams sure better be in the mix. They need to make the Super Bowl or the Goff trade is basically a disaster IMO. I think it's a distasteful trade on their part and strongly suspect the Lions will be viewed as the winners of the trade in the long term.

And don't forget the Niners. They could easily make the Super Bowl with an upgrade at QB and maybe even without one, as they did last year. It's underrated how close they were to 16-0 last year, with their three losses being a last-second Falcons TD, a last-second Ravens FG, and in overtime against the Seahawks.

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 02, 2021, 04:39:29 PM
I've said this before and I'll say it again--the NFL really needs to drop the Conferences and operate as a single, 8-division league. Get better teams in the playoffs and better matchups in the playoffs.

How would the playoffs be structured with no conferences?

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on February 02, 2021, 09:02:00 PM

Best 8 teams make the playoffs, single elimination.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

NWI_Irish96

Eight division winners seeded 1-8 and six wildcards seeded 9-14 all in a single tournament. This year, you would have had (1) Kansas City and (2) Buffalo receiving byes, with first round matchups of (3) Green Bay vs (14) Miami, (4) Pittsburgh vs (13) LA Rams, (5) New Orleans vs (12) Indianapolis, (6) Seattle vs (11) Cleveland, (7) Tennessee vs (10) Tampa Bay, and (8) Washington vs (9) Baltimore

hotdogPi

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 02, 2021, 09:32:37 PM

Eight division winners seeded 1-8 and six wildcards seeded 9-14 all in a single tournament. This year, you would have had (1) Kansas City and (2) Buffalo receiving byes, with first round matchups of (3) Green Bay vs (14) Miami, (4) Pittsburgh vs (13) LA Rams, (5) New Orleans vs (12) Indianapolis, (6) Seattle vs (11) Cleveland, (7) Tennessee vs (10) Tampa Bay, and (8) Washington vs (9) Baltimore

Why not eliminate divisions, too? Have it strictly based on record.

And 14 teams is too many for the playoffs. If each playoff round halves the number of teams, why does it take 16 games to go from 32 to 14, which is only barely more than halving?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on February 02, 2021, 09:41:56 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on February 02, 2021, 09:32:37 PM

Why not eliminate divisions, too? Have it strictly based on record.

And 14 teams is too many for the playoffs. If each playoff round halves the number of teams, why does it take 16 games to go from 32 to 14, which is only barely more than halving?

Divisions will never go away because division rivals aren't going to give up playing each other twice a year.

Every sport has too many playoff teams. It's an inevitable byproduct of sports on TV.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.