News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

What a performance by the tampa bay defense
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on February 07, 2021, 10:24:23 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on February 07, 2021, 10:17:59 PM
and buccs win with KC only scoring field goals.

31-9, to be exact. The first and only blowout of the playoffs. The first and only multi-score loss of Mahomes' career. If you didn't see it coming, welcome to the NFL.

Meh, I'd call the AFC title game pretty much a blowout. Buffalo was no match for KC after getting the 9-spot.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 07, 2021, 10:51:27 PM
Meh, I'd call the AFC title game pretty much a blowout. Buffalo was no match for KC after getting the 9-spot.

I call a blowout 17 or more points (at least 3 scores).

Yes, the Bills were outclassed (which made the SB very satisfying), but it was not on the same level. The Bills were ineffective in the red zone and had two terrible, mind-boggling FG's. If they convert both of those, it's a one-score game at the end. Even without that, they still had 6 scoring drives and scored 24 points and 2 TD's. Both were complete team losses, but the Chiefs was worse.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

I-39

Tom Brady wins again....... yawn.

Didn't watch a second of the game.

thspfc

Top to bottom the Bucs are the best team in the league. They don't have the best player at any one position, but they are extremely deep and have quality players everywhere. They are a worthy Super Bowl champion. The unsung heroes are their GM and scouting department. They've gotten great players through the draft like Evans, David, Barrett, Winfield, Godwin, Wirfs, I could go on, and they've also made smart free agent signings like Gronk, Fournette, AB, and of course Brady. Tampa will be back in this game a year from now, they have no real competition in the NFC.

Scott5114

Quote from: I-39 on February 07, 2021, 11:22:37 PM

They should do like Jeopardy! used to do and make it so that after you win so many times you get automatically replaced by someone new.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 07, 2021, 10:42:13 PM

Yes, but one thing that I wasn't aware of until just before kickoff was that both of KC's starting OTs were out with injuries. If I'd known that, I could have told you Tampa's defense would dominate the game. You can't beat a good defense with two starting linemen out.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 08, 2021, 07:20:03 AM

Yes, but one thing that I wasn't aware of until just before kickoff was that both of KC's starting OTs were out with injuries. If I'd known that, I could have told you Tampa's defense would dominate the game. You can't beat a good defense with two starting linemen out.
The blame is unfortunately going to bypass Mahomes and Reid entirely. I get that the Tampa defense was on top of their game, but Reid failed to adjust his gameplan and Mahomes repeatedly missed open throws or threw into triple coverage. Sadly, Mahomes is the new golden boy and he's going to get treated as such by the media. 

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on February 08, 2021, 08:51:57 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on February 08, 2021, 07:20:03 AM

The blame is unfortunately going to bypass Mahomes and Reid entirely. I get that the Tampa defense was on top of their game, but Reid failed to adjust his gameplan and Mahomes repeatedly missed open throws or threw into triple coverage. Sadly, Mahomes is the new golden boy and he's going to get treated as such by the media. 

That's what Reid did best when he was in Philly...fail to adjust.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 07, 2021, 10:28:29 PM
Tampa just plain out played and out coached Kansas City in every facet of the game.

As a non-fan...

When I read predictions of a high-scoring game, I expected it to be an offense-driven game with weak defense.

Instead, what I saw was that Tampa Bay played solid defense the entire game.  And Kansas City had good defense for... umm, about the first four minutes? and then stopped.

Kansas City as a team failed miserably.  However, some of those passes by Mahomes were incredible–if only they had been caught.  There was more than one occasion when it looked hopeless for Mahomes, with no way out, and yet he somehow managed to throw a great pass.  And then the receiver didn't catch it.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Henry

Le sigh...well, at least New England wasn't in it this time!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

Yes, Mahomes and Reid should get *some* blame, but ultimately, it was the O-line issues that were too much to overcome. Mahomes was pressured on 52% of dropbacks, the most in Super Bowl history. He was on the run all night.

Quote from: kphoger on February 08, 2021, 10:51:36 AM
When I read predictions of a high-scoring game, I expected it to be an offense-driven game with weak defense.

Upthread, cabiness42 mentioned not knowing about the Chiefs' O-line issues until right before kickoff. But everyone that follows this stuff closely, including everyone in the media, knew all along and simply believed that Mahomes would overcome it. It's not that there was disrespect for the Bucs' defense, but people thought the Chiefs offense was so good that it wouldn't matter, hence the predictions for a high-scoring, shootout game.

In the end, it was a much greater mismatch than anyone could have predicted.

snowc

Quote from: I-39 on February 07, 2021, 11:22:37 PM

You know, I don't like TB because of the deflategate and the incident of Brady deciding to deflate the balls in the NFC title game in 2015.  :pan:
But this game, (yawn) was a game that never existed. No one will outsmart Brady, and every other year this happens. 2019, 2017, 2015...
Congrats Arians for the win. But that TD by Gronk, was not.  :clap: :clap: :popcorn:

snowc

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2021, 11:02:30 AM

Yes, Mahomes and Reid should get *some* blame, but ultimately, it was the O-line issues that were too much to overcome. Mahomes was pressured on 52% of dropbacks, the most in Super Bowl history. He was on the run all night.

Upthread, cabiness42 mentioned not knowing about the Chiefs' O-line issues until right before kickoff. But everyone that follows this stuff closely, including everyone in the media, knew all along and simply believed that Mahomes would overcome it. It's not that there was disrespect for the Bucs' defense, but people thought the Chiefs offense was so good that it wouldn't matter, hence the predictions for a high-scoring, shootout game.

One word. 🐐

thspfc

Quote from: snowc on February 08, 2021, 11:06:20 AM
Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2021, 11:02:30 AM

One word. 🐐
I think that's a good note to retire this 32-page thread on. Rest in peace, 2020 NFL season

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 10, 2021, 10:31:24 AM
Quote from: snowc on February 08, 2021, 11:06:20 AM
One word. 🐐
I think that's a good note to retire this 32-page thread on. Rest in peace, 2020 NFL season

Yeah, I was just noticing that, as of the 🐐 post, this thread has surpassed BASE-BALL and is now the third-longest sports thread of all time.

I can't think of any reason not to keep it going for 2021, so I've updated the title to NFL (2021 Season).
With Super Bowl 55 now in the books, my posts that follow will be (1) a review of all the questions I outlined in the OP, and (2) a spin forward to the year to come.

webny99

Here's a review of my questions for the 2020 season, as outlined in the OP:

Quote from: webny99 on February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM
Can teams that had unexpected success this year replicate that next year? (SF 49ers, Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans...)

Not much ambiguity here! A solid No for the 49ers, a solid Yes for the Titans, and an even more solid Yes for the Bills.

The 49ers suffered one crushing injury after another on both sides of the ball to finish 6-10, and, with a roster ready to contend, their QB situation remains unclear heading into the offseason. Meanwhile, the Titans pulled out several close wins with their high-powered offense to finally improve on their 9-7 record of the past four years and win the division for the first time since 2008. Despite the offense struggling in the Wild Card playoffs, improving the defense is the logical step towards sustained success.

The Bills were perhaps one of the most improved teams of the season despite their defensive regression thanks to Josh Allen's third-year growth and the offseason acquisition of Stefon Diggs (perhaps the greatest trade in NFL history in terms of how it worked out for both teams). Allen led the team to their first AFC championship in 27 years, and while the loss to the Chiefs was disappointing, there's every reason to think they'll be back.

Can teams that underperformed make a playoff run next year? (Dallas Cowboys, LA Rams, Cleveland Browns...)

Perhaps even less ambiguity here. No matter how you define "playoff run", both the Rams and Browns won a playoff game and made it to the Divisional Round, so it's a solid Yes for both of those teams, and a solid No for the Cowboys.

With Dak Prescott presumably returning from a devastating injury, the Rams going "Super Bowl or bust" in acquiring Matthew Stafford, and the Browns hitting a home run with Coach of the Year Kevin Stefanski, there's plenty of reason to think all three teams will be back in the postseason next year.

Will the Patriots extend their dynasty?

A solid No. Considering their lack of talent and multitude of COVID opt-outs, their 7-9 record is a testament to Belichick's greatness. A fresh start at QB and elsewhere is on the horizon.

Can the Ravens supplant the Chiefs as the team to beat in the AFC?

No disrespect to the Ravens, but this was perhaps the most laughable of my preseason insinuations. The Ravens are in a tough division and would be lucky to secure a top 5 ranking in the AFC. Their offseason focus should be clear: improve the passing game, because a great running game only goes so far in January.

Will the 2020 NFC West be the greatest division of all time?

No, and in fact, they weren't even the best division this season. The AFC North produced more playoff teams and was a better and tougher division all around. Those two are clearly the heavyweights, though.

Can the Saints overcome their run of postseason woes?

Why did I think it could happen? The divisional round loss to the Bucs wasn't quite as painful and gut-wrenching as the past three losses in terms of how it ended, but it was equally sad and depressing. They've got a great coach and great talent (and a very complicated cap situation), but I wouldn't rule them out as a contender next year with Jameis Winston at QB.

My way-to-early Super Bowl matchup for next year: Ravens vs. Saints!  :nod:

Well, I tried. I mostly just went with what I wanted to see, which was a close game with the score in the 20's between powerful, talented teams with respectable defenses. In the end, both teams made the playoffs but lost in the divisional round.

webny99

A spin forward to 2021

With Super Bowl 55 in the books, it's once again time to start talking about the offseason and looking ahead to the 2021 NFL season!

There are a multitude of draft and free agency narratives in the NFL this year. Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, Carson Wentz, Jimmy Garoppolo and Deshaun Watson, just to scratch the surface. And that doesn't even consider Matthew Stafford and Jared Goff, who already traded places before the Super Bowl.

Can teams that finished short of the playoffs make a postseason run next year? (Arizona Cardinals, Miami Dolphins, Minnesota Vikings)
Can teams that are a QB away from contention get the all-important position figured out? (Indianapolis Colts, Denver Broncos, San Francisco 49ers)

Will the Chiefs run it back to the biggest stage? Can the Bills and Packers get over the Championship hump?
Will the 2021 NFC South be among the league's best divisions? Will the Rams go on a Super Bowl run?

I can't wait to see all that and more unfold over the next 12 months!  :coffee:

I-39

Quote from: webny99 on February 10, 2021, 01:42:42 PMCan the Bills and Packers get over the Championship hump?

Don't know about the Bills, but the Packers are likely done now. I suspect they'll regress next year.

thspfc

As far as I'm concerned regarding the NFC, there's the Bucs and Rams and a lot of nothing after that. Packers will probably post an attractive regular season record, but then self destruct in the playoffs like usual. Ditto for the Seahawks. Niners are the big question mark to me, it depends on who their QB is and how long their IR list becomes. I expect the AFC to be much more interesting. Chiefs, Bills, Colts, and Browns all have a legitimate shot IMO. If the Browns want to win, they're going to need their running game and defense to carry their mediocre at best quarterback. Ravens will be good in the regular season again, but I'm not wasting any time on them in the playoffs. Titans need a better defense.

Way-too-early playoff predictions:
AFC East: Bills division winners
AFC North: Ravens division winners, Browns wild card
AFC South: Colts division winners, Titans wild card
AFC West: Chiefs division winners, Chargers wild card

NFC East: Cowboys division winners
NFC North: Packers division winners, Vikings wild card, Bears wild card
NFC South: Buccaneers division winners
NFC West: Rams division winners, Seahawks wild card

KCRoadFan

What I would like to know is: will we be going to the 17-game schedule in 2021? That's what I've heard, anyway.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: KCRoadFan on February 11, 2021, 06:19:59 PM
What I would like to know is: will we be going to the 17-game schedule in 2021? That's what I've heard, anyway.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-plans-to-expand-regular-season-to-17-games-per-team-in-2021

Here's a story that indicates that it's going to happen but can't be announced until a media contract gets finalized. Regular season would start at the same time, end a week later, with the playoffs also being a week later. The extra game would be an interconference game against a team that finished in the same place. My guess is that it would alternate with all NFC teams being home one year and all AFC teams the next, so that teams within a conference competing for wildcard spots are all playing the same number of home games.

Also, if this goes through, for the forseeable future, Tom Brady and Rex Grossman will be the only QBs ever to lose on my birthday.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.