News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: cabiness42 on March 31, 2022, 09:21:08 AM
Quote from: Buck87 on March 31, 2022, 09:16:31 AM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on March 31, 2022, 12:24:25 AM
When will the regular season schedule for 2022 be out? I'm eager to look it over as soon as I can do so.

Usually not until May.

Yes, the NFL has spaced out their events so they hit every month of the offseason. March = combine, April = draft, May = schedule release. June = minicamps. July = training camps start. August = preseason games.

Just as the sun never set on the British Empire, the NFL really doesn't have an offseason.  I think they have it planned masterfully so they are always relevant.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 01, 2022, 01:26:36 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on March 31, 2022, 09:21:08 AM
Quote from: Buck87 on March 31, 2022, 09:16:31 AM
When will the regular season schedule for 2022 be out? I'm eager to look it over as soon as I can do so.

Usually not until May.

Yes, the NFL has spaced out their events so they hit every month of the offseason. March = combine, April = draft, May = schedule release. June = minicamps. July = training camps start. August = preseason games.

Just as the sun never set on the British Empire, the NFL really doesn't have an offseason.  I think they have it planned masterfully so they are always relevant.

For all of its controversies, the NFL has indeed mastered the sports universe.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2022, 07:52:32 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 31, 2022, 05:06:04 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 31, 2022, 01:33:51 AM
Wow Bruce Arians surprise retirement.

Wonder if it had anything to do with Tom Brady's un-retirement.

With a Super Bowl ring in hand, there's not a lot left to prove, so it's a massive commitment if you're not that invested. If he's retiring with Brady, I can't imagine he would have stayed without Brady (he will also be in a front office position apparently, so still with the organization).

Probably true, but that won't stop the sports media industry from having a field day.

webny99

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 01, 2022, 01:34:12 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2022, 07:52:32 AM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 31, 2022, 05:06:04 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 31, 2022, 01:33:51 AM
Wow Bruce Arians surprise retirement.

Wonder if it had anything to do with Tom Brady's un-retirement.

With a Super Bowl ring in hand, there's not a lot left to prove, so it's a massive commitment if you're not that invested. If he's retiring with Brady, I can't imagine he would have stayed without Brady (he will also be in a front office position apparently, so still with the organization).

Probably true, but that won't stop the sports media industry from having a field day.

I do agree that the timing is very odd. Brady definitely knew in advance given his well-prepared statement that came out almost immediately.

jgb191

It think the OT rule change for the playoffs is better than nothing.  And if it turns out to work well, they just might even expand it to the full season.  And also my opinion, but any week 17 game which was anything like the Steelers/Ravens and Chargers/Raiders, where winner clinches wild card seed and loser goes home I consider those playoff games as well because literally the season is on the line in those types of situation....the matchup where it is a survival or elimination game situation.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

webny99

Still crazy that in the first Week 18 ever, three games with massive playoff implications went to overtime. Ironically though, none of those three ended with a TD on the first possession.

webny99

Unrelated, but all of Western NY might have a new favorite MLB player. Spoken like a true Buffalonian from Buffalo native Jesse Winker:

https://twitter.com/BuffaloBills/status/1508815416898031626

1995hoo

According to his agent, former Redskins QB Dwayne Haskins is dead at age 25 24 after being hit by a car in Florida this morning.

(Edited because I misread the story–he would have been 25 on May 3.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 09, 2022, 11:04:35 AM
According to his agent, former Redskins QB Dwayne Haskins is dead at age 25 24 after being hit by a car in Florida this morning.

(Edited because I misread the story–he would have been 25 on May 3.)

RIP. Horrible news.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Oh no.  :-( That is terrible. He was apparently on foot on Interstate 595.

thspfc

Semi-unrelated: "not a (team) fan BUT"  has to be the most stupid phrase on the Internet. Twitter comments on Haskins' death are full of people proudly announcing how empathetic and moral they are because they feel bad for Haskins' family !despite not being a Steelers fan! . . . obsessive sports fandom is an epidemic.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on April 09, 2022, 03:02:15 PM
Yikes. Not a smart move walking on an interstate. Stay safe when on busy roads guys.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on April 09, 2022, 04:17:33 PM
Semi-unrelated: "not a (team) fan BUT"  has to be the most stupid phrase on the Internet. Twitter comments on Haskins' death are full of people proudly announcing how empathetic and moral they are because they feel bad for Haskins' family !despite not being a Steelers fan! . . . obsessive sports fandom is an epidemic.

An unnecessary qualifier, but nowhere near as bad as Schefter's tone-deaf tweet about Haskins "struggling" in the NFL. Honestly I just don't get how anyone could possibly feel the need to comment about his NFL career in the context of his life being lost.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 09, 2022, 04:20:39 PM
Yikes. Not a smart move walking on an interstate. Stay safe when on busy roads guys.

I'd heard that his car broke down, possibly ran out of gas and that's why he was on foot. He wasn't just randomly walking on an interstate.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 09, 2022, 07:33:34 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 09, 2022, 04:20:39 PM

I'd heard that his car broke down, possibly ran out of gas and that's why he was on foot. He wasn't just randomly walking on an interstate.
That doesn't explain why he tried to cross the highway. If you run out of gas on a freeway, the first logical thing to do would be call for help. If he didn't have a cell phone on him and had no other options but to walk, walking along the shoulder would be much more sensible than trying to cross 6+ lanes of 70 MPH traffic.

I would be shocked if alcohol and/or drugs weren't involved there. Tragic event; very avoidable.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on April 09, 2022, 06:43:09 PM
Quote from: thspfc on April 09, 2022, 04:17:33 PM

An unnecessary qualifier, but nowhere near as bad as Schefter's tone-deaf tweet about Haskins "struggling" in the NFL. Honestly I just don't get how anyone could possibly feel the need to comment about his NFL career in the context of his life being lost.

Schefter is becoming arguably the most tone deaf public personality in sports.

elsmere241

Who plays who where is decided by a formula.  What's to be announced is when.

Henry

Apparently, the Bears are serious about leaving Soldier Field because  they hired Manica Architecture to design their new Arlington Heights stadium.

Manica is a Kansas City-based firm that was behind the designs of new stadiums and arenas like the Chase Center in San Francisco, Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas and some failed projects like the Chargers' new stadium in Downtown San Diego. I can't wait to see what they come up with on the Chicago project.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on April 12, 2022, 10:15:25 AM
Apparently, the Bears are serious about leaving Soldier Field because  they hired Manica Architecture to design their new Arlington Heights stadium.

Manica is a Kansas City-based firm that was behind the designs of new stadiums and arenas like the Chase Center in San Francisco, Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas and some failed projects like the Chargers' new stadium in Downtown San Diego. I can't wait to see what they come up with on the Chicago project.

I wonder if there's a possibility of still playing one game per year at Soldier Field, like the Packers used to do at Milwaukee.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: elsmere241 on April 12, 2022, 10:06:57 AM

Exactly.  The next year's schedule is complete once the last regular season games take place.  Everyone knows what place everyone finished in their division by then.

The formula is actually quite simple once you break it down this way:
You are Team A in Division Z in the NFC and you finished 2021 in 1st place.   There are 4 teams in each division, you being one.  You play everyone in your division twice (once at home and once on the road).
So you play Team B twice, Team C twice and Team D twice:  that's 6 games.  So what about the remaining 11?
The formula goes on a rotating basis.  The NFC has Division W, X, Y and Z and the AFC also has W, X, Y and Z.  The formula has each division playing another division within it's conference and one outside of it's conference purely on a rotating basis.  So for 2022, your division (Division Z) is slated to play the NFC Division Y and AFC Division X.  You play everyone in those divisions, two at home and two on the road.  That's 8 games added to the previous 6, so now we are up to 14 games.  The old remaining two were filled by teams in your Conference that finished the previous season in the same place you did from the other two divisions (since you are in Division Z, finished 1st place and you are playing everyone in Division Y already, the other two division are W and X), so you play the 1st place team of Division W and the 1st place team of Division X.  SO that's the old 16 game schedule.  Now, that 17th game is played against a team from another division of the opposite conference that you aren't already playing.  So you would play the 1st place team of AFC Division W, Y or Z.  For simplistic reasons we will pretend the formula said Division Z.  So there is your 17 game schedule.  The formula is understood years in advance, like you would already know you are playing all of the NFC W  and all of the AFC Y and the one game against the AFC W in 2023.  The only thing you need to wait on is to see who places where at the end of the season.  Then wait a few months for them to determine is what dat you will be playing those games.  Heck, even which games are home games and which are road games is already determined.  As a Cowboys fan married to a Packer fan, I already know the Cowboys are making the trip to Lambeau this year.  I just don't know when yet. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 12, 2022, 10:30:15 AM
Quote from: elsmere241 on April 12, 2022, 10:06:57 AM

Exactly.  The next year's schedule is complete once the last regular season games take place.  Everyone knows what place everyone finished in their division by then.

The formula is actually quite simple once you break it down this way:
You are Team A in Division Z in the NFC and you finished 2021 in 1st place.   There are 4 teams in each division, you being one.  You play everyone in your division twice (once at home and once on the road).
So you play Team B twice, Team C twice and Team D twice:  that's 6 games.  So what about the remaining 11?
The formula goes on a rotating basis.  The NFC has Division W, X, Y and Z and the AFC also has W, X, Y and Z.  The formula has each division playing another division within it's conference and one outside of it's conference purely on a rotating basis.  So for 2022, your division (Division Z) is slated to play the NFC Division Y and AFC Division X.  You play everyone in those divisions, two at home and two on the road.  That's 8 games added to the previous 6, so now we are up to 14 games.  The old remaining two were filled by teams in your Conference that finished the previous season in the same place you did from the other two divisions (since you are in Division Z, finished 1st place and you are playing everyone in Division Y already, the other two division are W and X), so you play the 1st place team of Division W and the 1st place team of Division X.  SO that's the old 16 game schedule.  Now, that 17th game is played against a team from another division of the opposite conference that you aren't already playing.  So you would play the 1st place team of AFC Division W, Y or Z.  For simplistic reasons we will pretend the formula said Division Z.  So there is your 17 game schedule.  The formula is understood years in advance, like you would already know you are playing all of the NFC W  and all of the AFC Y and the one game against the AFC W in 2023.  The only thing you need to wait on is to see who places where at the end of the season.  Then wait a few months for them to determine is what dat you will be playing those games.  Heck, even which games are home games and which are road games is already determined.  As a Cowboys fan married to a Packer fan, I already know the Cowboys are making the trip to Lambeau this year.  I just don't know when yet. 

Let me try to simplify this a bit.

Every team, regardless of where the finished in the division, play the following:

1) All three division opponents twice [6 games]
2) All four teams from one of the other divisions from the same conference, with those divisions rotating on a 3-year cycle [4 games]
3) All four teams from one of the divisions from the opposite conference, with those divisions rotating on a 4-year cycle [4 games]

[note: 2) & 3) above produce the exact same set of 8 opponents once every 12 years]

Based on a team's finish in their division (1st/2nd/3rd/4th), they play:

4) Each of the two teams from the same place from the other divisions from the same conference not already on the schedule via 2) above [2 games]
5) The team from the same place from the division from the other conference that you played two years ago via 3) above [1 game]

[note: 5) was the 17th opponent added beginning in 2021]

mgk920

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 12, 2022, 10:28:16 AM
Quote from: Henry on April 12, 2022, 10:15:25 AM

I wonder if there's a possibility of still playing one game per year at Soldier Field, like the Packers used to do at Milwaukee.

The Packers stopped scheduling games it old Milwaukee County Stadium because at the time (early 990s) it was costing them at least $1M/game in lost revenues v. playing all of their home games in Green Bay.

Mike

thspfc

Baker is on another tirade. This time he was "disrespected"  by the Browns. If you want the respect of a franchise quarterback, maybe you should play like a franchise quarterback.

"He wears his emotions on his sleeve, I do too, I was an emotional player. But the difference between Baker and I - I led the league in something besides crying."  -Steve Smith

At least Baker is only the second most dislikable quarterback on his team.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on April 13, 2022, 09:45:46 PM
Baker is on another tirade. This time he was "disrespected"  by the Browns. If you want the respect of a franchise quarterback, maybe you should play like a franchise quarterback.

I mean, it's unquestionably true that he was disrespected, but going on this kind of tirade right now is kind of cringe-worthy and just not a good look.

I continue to think that his injuries played an underrated role in his struggles last season, but... the past is the past. Both he and the Browns know that he has to move on now, and I kind of get him wanting to go off on the Browns, but he should have waited until he's found a new team and things settle down.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.