News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: thspfc on April 13, 2022, 09:45:46 PM
Baker is on another tirade. This time he was "disrespected"  by the Browns. If you want the respect of a franchise quarterback, maybe you should play like a franchise quarterback.

"He wears his emotions on his sleeve, I do too, I was an emotional player. But the difference between Baker and I - I led the league in something besides crying."  -Steve Smith

At least Baker is only the second most dislikable quarterback on his team.

He was disrespected by the Browns. He was injured.  His present team is only slightly less of a dumpster fire than perennial dregs Washington, Jacksonville, and (pick one) New York.of course, he can't be surprised at Al, of this, because high draft picks tend to end up on lousy teams. It's clearly time to move on. But he's not helping himself with his hissy-fit.

thspfc

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 14, 2022, 01:47:44 PM
Quote from: thspfc on April 13, 2022, 09:45:46 PM
Baker is on another tirade. This time he was "disrespected"  by the Browns. If you want the respect of a franchise quarterback, maybe you should play like a franchise quarterback.

"He wears his emotions on his sleeve, I do too, I was an emotional player. But the difference between Baker and I - I led the league in something besides crying."  -Steve Smith

At least Baker is only the second most dislikable quarterback on his team.

He was disrespected by the Browns. He was injured.  His present team is only slightly less of a dumpster fire than perennial dregs Washington, Jacksonville, and (pick one) New York.of course, he can't be surprised at Al, of this, because high draft picks tend to end up on lousy teams. It's clearly time to move on. But he's not helping himself with his hissy-fit.
Nothing adds up when it comes to Baker's injury. Was his performace negatively impacted by the injury? Probably, but not by much.

Cleveland had what most would agree to be one of the smallest gaps between starter and backup QB (Baker and Keenum) in the league. Even their 3rd stringer, Nick Mullens, could be a quality backup IMO. So if Baker was really so hurt that he shouldn't have been playing, why did Stefanski wait so long to pull him?

In addition, Baker's worst statistical games of the season came towards the end, as in further away from the injury that he sustained in week 2. Week 10 against the Patriots, week 11 against the Lions, week 16 against the Packers, week 17 against the Steelers.

thspfc

Kyler is either going to get the deal he wants or end up playing on his rookie deal for one more year.

That being said, it would be hilarious to watch the Cardinals' inevitable implosion if he actually were to hold out and sit. Maybe people would realize that a good QB on a massive contract is a heck of a lot better than a barely-above-replacement-level QB on a tiny contract. Maybe Cowboys and Vikings fans would stop begging for their teams to tank and try to win the lottery in the draft.

But Arizona, even for being the team that gave JJ Watt $1 million per tackle and $15 million per sack, is too smart for that.

Kyler was by far the best QB to come out of his draft class.

Arizona completely whiffed on a quarterback in the first round the year before. The only other franchise QBs they've had in recent memory (Warner and Palmer) came from other teams. Kyler is just about the best QB they've ever drafted.

If you have a top 12 QB, you pay him. End of story. You don't cheap out at quarterback and hope that a good run game and solid defense can get you to a Super Bowl, because in almost all cases, those two things alone can't.

Vegas just paid Carr. Is Carr overpaid? Yes. Did Vegas make the right decision? Yes.

JayhawkCO

I thought you were a Dak guy? Didn't you give me shit last year for saying the Cowboys weren't that good?

Big John

^^ Not all Cowboy fans are in love with Dak.

JayhawkCO

Sure, and I might be misremembering, but I thought he was one of the reasons I was wrong when I didn't have them included in my Superbowl possibilities according to thspfc.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 14, 2022, 10:09:42 PM
I thought you were a Dak guy? Didn't you give me shit last year for saying the Cowboys weren't that good?
I am a Dak guy. "Maybe Cowboys and Vikings fans would stop begging for their teams to tank and try to win the lottery in the draft"  means "Maybe Cowboys and Vikings fans would realize they have a good quarterback already and can't lose that guy."

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 14, 2022, 10:26:25 PM
Sure, and I might be misremembering, but I thought he was one of the reasons I was wrong when I didn't have them included in my Superbowl possibilities according to thspfc.
Don't throw stones from the glass house of having the Colts as title contenders right up until the 4th quarter of the game at Jacksonville. Lol

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on April 15, 2022, 08:06:34 AM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on April 14, 2022, 10:26:25 PM
Don't throw stones from the glass house of having the Colts as title contenders right up until the 4th quarter of the game at Jacksonville. Lol

Not throwing stones. :) I just thought you were PARTICULARLY a Dak guy which is why I thought it odd for you to include him in your "good but not great" quarterback example. I realize now you were talking about fans not appreciating him.

I knew Wentz sucked. I just thought JT and the defense were enough to drag them there.

NWI_Irish96

Dak is the classic case of a QB who isn't good enough to win you 12 games, but not bad enough to lose you 12 games where you can draft someone better.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 15, 2022, 11:22:22 AM
Dak is the classic case of a QB who isn't good enough to win you 12 games, but not bad enough to lose you 12 games where you can draft someone better.
Dallas literally just won 12 games.

Chances are you won't draft someone better. The QBs drafted in the last 10 years that are for sure better than Dak IMO are:

2012 - Wilson
2017 - Mahomes
2018 - Allen
2020 - Burrow
2020 - Herbert

Arguably better than Dak:

2012 - Cousins
2014 - Carr
2017 - Watson (other circumstances here mean that I would take Dak 100/100 times)
2018 - Lamar

Also there's Andrew Luck but he's not relevant anymore.

So if you think 2/4 from the "arguably"  tier are better, then that's 7 QBs drafted in the last 10 years that are better than Dak. Less than 1 per year. In a 32 team league.

Max Rockatansky

The odds of the Cowboys drafting someone better than Dak Prescott are slim to none.  Dak Prescott isn't the problem just like Tony Romo wasn't the problem.  A good QB is essential, but you still need a pretty complete team to compete for Super Bowls.  The Cowboys have for the longest time fielded teams good enough to make the playoffs but not do anything in them.

triplemultiplex

I see the Packers scooped up Sammy Watkins for next season.
Interesting if he can stay healthy.  Still need more help at that position, but it's a start.  There's no replacing Davante Adams, but at least Watkins is a veteran who can maybe mentor whatever rookie receiver(s) I'm sure they'll end up drafting.

Also I see they amicably settled regarding what's-his-face's "last" touchdown ball.  See I think that guy backed out too soon.  A lot could happen between now and August.  What if he destroys his ACL on the first play from scrimmage this season?  Then you would've had the half-million dollar football, but gave it up for nothing!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Big John

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 15, 2022, 05:05:44 PM
Interesting if he can stay healthy.  Still need more help at that position, but it's a start.  There's no replacing Davante Adams, but at least Watkins is a veteran who can maybe mentor whatever rookie receiver(s) I'm sure they'll end up drafting.

Don't they already have that in Cobb?

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Big John on April 15, 2022, 06:21:26 PM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 15, 2022, 05:05:44 PM

Don't they already have that in Cobb?

Watkins still has better upside than Cobb at his age.....mostly being a couple years younger.  More or less it changes Packers from being desperate to sign/draft a WR, to still needing a WR but but not desperate.  Helps in some respect come the draft when teams try to leverage a teams desperation into squeezing another draft pick or two out of them.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

webny99

Deebo Samuel wants out of San Francisco, per reports.

He was easily their best player last year, so not sure if he wants a new start or if it's purely money-related (or most likely, some of both). I'd be cautious if I was another team looking for a Deebo-type player, as he clearly wants to be paid big money, and deservedly so, but at the same time, it seems very unlikely that he will have another season as good as his 2021 season.

JayhawkCO

From most reports, he doesn't want to be a hybrid RB/WR. If he's just a WR, that will probably increase his longevity.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on April 21, 2022, 12:09:51 PM

He was easily their best player last year, so not sure if he wants a new start or if it's purely money-related (or most likely, some of both). I'd be cautious if I was another team looking for a Deebo-type player, as he clearly wants to be paid big money, and deservedly so, but at the same time, it seems very unlikely that he will have another season as good as his 2021 season.
Maybe this is true for all NFL players, but IMO Deebo is not worth as much money as he thinks he is. Christian Kirk's contract is being cited as the reason for the sudden movement of elite wide receivers. Sooner or later, execs are going to realize that Kirk's contract was the exception, not the rule, and the money paid to top receivers will stop growing so rapidly.

thspfc

There will be three games on Christmas this year. Excellent choice by the NFL in an attempt to squash the NBA's singular relevant day between mid-June and early April.

DenverBrian

Quote from: thspfc on April 22, 2022, 05:18:11 PM
There will be three games on Christmas this year. Excellent choice by the NFL in an attempt to squash the NBA's singular relevant day between mid-June and early April.
Or maybe the NBA has had zero relevant days this entire time.

gr8daynegb

ESPN has the Lions, Packers, and Jets as three more interested teams for Samuel.
Packers could use Samuel and have the draft picks to make it work.  But I don't see them wanting to sign Samuel to the contract he wants and add in the 49ers wouldn't want to be trading in conference to a fellow conference team in the superbowl mix.  And while the Lions and Jets have the draft picks to make it work and Samuel would become weapon #1, why would he want to go to a cellar dweller at this time.  If he gets traded, as I think 49ers won't let him go all things considered, it's either to an AFC team or a bad NFC team or bust
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Alps

Quote from: gr8daynegb on April 22, 2022, 07:23:08 PM

ESPN has the Lions, Packers, and Jets as three more interested teams for Samuel.
Packers could use Samuel and have the draft picks to make it work.  But I don't see them wanting to sign Samuel to the contract he wants and add in the 49ers wouldn't want to be trading in conference to a fellow conference team in the superbowl mix.  And while the Lions and Jets have the draft picks to make it work and Samuel would become weapon #1, why would he want to go to a cellar dweller at this time.  If he gets traded, as I think 49ers won't let him go all things considered, it's either to an AFC team or a bad NFC team or bust
would love the Jets to have an actual good player

TheHighwayMan3561

Samuel's issue isn't money; he doesn't like the way the 49ers are using him as a hybrid WR/RB and only wants to play a traditional WR position. I'm not sure why this is so hard to fix, unless the 49ers are that adamant about wanting to use him out of the backfield.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 23, 2022, 12:20:37 AM
Samuel's issue isn't money; he doesn't like the way the 49ers are using him as a hybrid WR/RB and only wants to play a traditional WR position. I'm not sure why this is so hard to fix, unless the 49ers are that adamant about wanting to use him out of the backfield.

I think it's at least some of both, or he wouldn't have asked for a trade. But now that seemingly half the league is running some variation of Kyle Shanahan's offense... I'm not sure other teams will want to pay him huge money to be solely a WR, either.

The Jets make some sense given the Saleh/LaFleur connections, but I think the 49ers do whatever they can to keep him if they want any hope of contending next year.

webny99

Any predictions for the draft tomorrow?

This year seems to have a ton of unknowns, unlike last year when you could have gotten the top 5 right in your sleep, this year I'm certain I would go 0/32 if I attempted a mock draft.

My only prediction is that if the Jags don't take Aidan Hutchinson, the Lions will (bold, I know!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.