News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on July 06, 2022, 08:24:36 PM
Thoughts on Baker Mayfield to the Panthers?

I wanted to see Jimmy G to the Panthers and Baker Mayfield to the Seahawks, that just seemed to make the most sense for all teams involved. I think Jimmy G is better than Baker and the Panthers could use someone with as much experience as possible, plus the Darnold/Mayfield thing is kind of awkward.

And from a Seahawks POV, Baker is still a big upgrade over Drew Lock. But there's no way Jimmy G goes to Seattle so he may end up a backup somewhere.
It's laughable.

DenverBrian

Browns at Panthers September 11...my, my.

webny99

The Athletic Football Show podcast has a 6-episode series about Andrew Luck that came out this week... interesting insight for anyone that followed Luck's career/early retirement: https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-athletic-football-show-a-show-about-the-nfl

Luck's retirement was one of the few NFL moments I don't think I'll ever forget. Truly and unbelievably stunning the way it unfolded.

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: webny99 on July 12, 2022, 03:22:02 PM
The Athletic Football Show podcast has a 6-episode series about Andrew Luck that came out this week... interesting insight for anyone that followed Luck's career/early retirement: https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-athletic-football-show-a-show-about-the-nfl

Luck's retirement was one of the few NFL moments I don't think I'll ever forget. Truly and unbelievably stunning the way it unfolded.

Luck himself has been mostly quiet since his retirement. Were he to write a tell-all, it could be a best-seller.

webny99

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 12, 2022, 04:40:43 PM

Luck himself has been mostly quiet since his retirement. Were he to write a tell-all, it could be a best-seller.

This series might be as close as we ever get. Made it to the final episode today and it's very well done. It's a back-and-forth between narration by Colts beat reporter Zach Keefer and commentary from various Colts and NFL figures. I'm not usually a huge fan of that style and prefer a conversational style, but it worked well here. Lots of background on the decision to move on from Peyton, Luck's early career, injuries, comeback campaign in 2018, etc.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: webny99 on July 13, 2022, 06:04:39 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 12, 2022, 04:40:43 PM

This series might be as close as we ever get. Made it to the final episode today and it's very well done. It's a back-and-forth between narration by Colts beat reporter Zach Keefer and commentary from various Colts and NFL figures. I'm not usually a huge fan of that style and prefer a conversational style, but it worked well here. Lots of background on the decision to move on from Peyton, Luck's early career, injuries, comeback campaign in 2018, etc.

Stinks with the injuries he had to deal with causing early retirement.  Would like to think he'd have been a HOF QB, or well on HOF path, if he was still playing.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

thspfc

Very out-of-the-blue post, but I remember last year a couple of us "forked" teams once we were confident they weren't going to make the playoffs, and accumulated a list of such teams over time until the end of the regular season. I think that's a fun idea, what if we had an organized "forking" competition for this season?

For example:

Fork before season starts: 20 points
Fork weeks 1 through 7: 15 points
Fork weeks 8 through 11: 11 points
Fork weeks 12 through 14: 8 points
Fork weeks 15 and 16: 6 points

The deadline to make final forks would be Thursday 12/29, the start of week 17. After week 17, it's just picking week 18 games which isn't really the spirit.

Of course, there would be a penalty for an incorrect fork. Maybe -30 points? It would have to be steep in order to encourage smart and timely picks.

Forking a team after they have been eliminated from playoff contention would obviously net you 0 points.

So, who is interested? Any disputes on the points system?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on July 16, 2022, 09:31:39 PM
Very out-of-the-blue post, but I remember last year a couple of us "forked" teams once we were confident they weren't going to make the playoffs, and accumulated a list of such teams over time until the end of the regular season. I think that's a fun idea, what if we had an organized "forking" competition for this season?

For example:

Fork before season starts: 20 points
Fork weeks 1 through 7: 15 points
Fork weeks 8 through 11: 11 points
Fork weeks 12 through 14: 8 points
Fork weeks 15 and 16: 6 points

The deadline to make final forks would be Thursday 12/29, the start of week 17. After week 17, it's just picking week 18 games which isn't really the spirit.

Of course, there would be a penalty for an incorrect fork. Maybe -30 points? It would have to be steep in order to encourage smart and timely picks.

Forking a team after they have been eliminated from playoff contention would obviously net you 0 points.

So, who is interested? Any disputes on the points system?

I'm down.

webny99

Oh, I am obviously down for this as well. I think it was me that started it last year, remembering that it was an old Around the NFL podcast segment that I enjoyed.

My only suggestion would be to make it 4 tiers with 5-point increments for simplicity's sake. Keeping preseason at 20 pts, maybe something like 15 for weeks 1-8, 10 for weeks 9-12, and 5 for weeks 13-16? And I'm good with -30 points for an incorrect fork.

NWI_Irish96

I'm in. Put me down for Detroit today.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on July 19, 2022, 04:00:57 PM
Oh, I am obviously down for this as well. I think it was me that started it last year, remembering that it was an old Around the NFL podcast segment that I enjoyed.

My only suggestion would be to make it 4 tiers with 5-point increments for simplicity's sake. Keeping preseason at 20 pts, maybe something like 15 for weeks 1-8, 10 for weeks 9-12, and 5 for weeks 13-16? And I'm good with -30 points for an incorrect fork.
How about we meet in the middle:

Preseason: 20 points
Weeks 1-8: 15 points
Weeks 9-13: 10 points
Weeks 14-16: 5 points

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on July 20, 2022, 11:33:58 AM
Quote from: webny99 on July 19, 2022, 04:00:57 PM

My only suggestion would be to make it 4 tiers with 5-point increments for simplicity's sake. ...
How about we meet in the middle:

Preseason: 20 points
Weeks 1-8: 15 points
Weeks 9-13: 10 points
Weeks 14-16: 5 points

:thumbsup:

jlam

Deal. Put me in for Atlanta, Houston, both NY teams, and Chicago. And Detroit if we can do repeats of other forum members' selections.

thspfc

Quote from: jlam on July 21, 2022, 10:43:33 AM
Deal. Put me in for Atlanta, Houston, both NY teams, and Chicago. And Detroit if we can do repeats of other forum members' selections.
Yes, repeats are allowed.

And one final thing I forgot to add: if you haven't forked 18 teams by the start of week 17, you will be docked 30 points for every missing team (i.e. if you only do 16 you'll lose 60 points).

I think that's necessary because otherwise people can just fork the teams that are obviously going to miss out and leave the close ones untouched so as to guarantee no wrong forks. And that's boring.

thspfc

Now that we've got several people in this, I'll make a table to keep track, which I'll update at the end of every points period. Anyone else reading this, feel free to join whenever.

Green = has been eliminated
Red = has clinched a playoff berth
Black = TBD

NWI_Irish96
Lions (+20)
Jets (+20)
Browns (+20)
Texans (+20)
Falcons (+20)
Seahawks (+20)
Patriots (+15)
Steelers (+15)
Raiders (+15)
Commanders (+15)
Panthers (+15)
Broncos (+13)
Jaguars (+13)
Saints (+13)
Colts (+10)
Rams (+10)
Cardinals (+10)
Bears (+10)
Current total: 274

jlam
Falcons (+20)
Texans (+20)
Jets (+20)
Giants (+20)
Bears (+20)
Lions (+20)
Raiders (+15)
Steelers (+15)
Seahawks (+15)
Panthers (+13)
Commanders (+13)
Saints (+13)
Cardinals (+13)
Broncos (+13)
Jaguars (+13)
Colts (+13)
Patriots (+13)
Chargers (+13)
Current total: 282

thspfc
Texans (+20)
Jaguars (+20)
Giants (+20)
Falcons (+20)
Bears (+20)
Lions (+20)
Seahawks (+20)
Patriots (+15)
Jets (+15)
Steelers (+15)
Panthers (+15)
Raiders (+13)
Saints (+13)
Cardinals (+13)
Broncos (+13)
Browns (+13)
Rams (+10)
Colts (+10)
Current total: 285

jayhawkco
Giants (+20)
Panthers (+20)
Seahawks (+20)
Jets (+20)
Falcons (+20)
Browns (+20)
Jaguars (+20)
Lions (+20)
Bears (+20)
Commanders (+20)
Cardinals (+15)
Cowboys (+15)
Steelers (+15)
Raiders (+15)
Patriots (+15)
Broncos (+13)
Texans (+13)
Saints (+13)
Current total: 314

webny99
Steelers (+20)
Browns (+20)
Jets (+20)
Patriots (+20)
Texans (+20)
Titans (+20)
Falcons (+20)
Giants (+20)
Commanders (+20)
Seahawks (+20)
Lions (+20)
Bears (+20)
Panthers (+15)
Packers (+13)
Buccaneers (+13)
Broncos (+13)
Jaguars (+13)
Raiders (+13)
Current total: 320

CoreySamson
Falcons (+20)
Bears (+20)
Giants (+20)
Panthers (+20)
Jaguars (+20)
Current total: 100

hobsini2
Jets (+20)
Texans (+20)
Jaguars (+20)
Steelers (+20)
Broncos (+20)
Commanders (+20)
Giants (+20)
Panthers (+20)
Falcons (+20)
Saints (+20)
Lions (+20)
Current total: 220

Henry
Bears (+10)
Broncos (+10)
Browns (+10)
Jaguars (+10)
Lions (+10)
Panthers (+10)
Raiders (+10)
Rams (+10)
Saints (+10)
Steelers (+10)
Texans (+10)
Bengals (+10)
Cardinals (+10)
Chargers (+10)
Colts (+10)
Commanders (+10)
Falcons (+10)
Panthers (+10)
Current total: 180

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on July 21, 2022, 12:18:21 PM
Quote from: jlam on July 21, 2022, 10:43:33 AM
Yes, repeats are allowed.

And one final thing I forgot to add: if you haven't forked 18 teams by the start of week 17, you will be docked 30 points for every missing team (i.e. if you only do 16 you'll lose 60 points).

I think that's necessary because otherwise people can just fork the teams that are obviously going to miss out and leave the close ones untouched so as to guarantee no wrong forks. And that's boring.

Concur with that. The spirit of the game is to go out on a limb and make some tough choices.

We might need a table or some way to keep track, unless everyone just keeps track of their own.

Quote from: thspfc on July 21, 2022, 12:27:32 PM
Now that we've got several people in this, I'll make a table to keep track, which I'll update at the end of every points period...

Edit: Wow, that was good timing. Sounds good!

CoreySamson

Put me down for the Falcons, Bears, Giants, Browns, Panthers, and Jaguars.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

thspfc

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 21, 2022, 12:38:36 PM
Put me down for the Falcons, Bears, Giants, Browns, Panthers, and Jaguars.
Edited you into the table.

Ted$8roadFan

So....the Arizona Cardinals gave a guaranteed $160m to Kyler Murray, but included a proviso that he spend four hours per week on film study. A very odd situation.

webny99

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on July 27, 2022, 04:45:39 AM
So....the Arizona Cardinals gave a guaranteed $160m to Kyler Murray, but included a proviso that he spend four hours per week on film study. A very odd situation.

Yikes. Not good really for either side that that got leaked, but especially Kyler. This is going to stick to him for a long time unless he wins a Super Bowl (and the Cardinals' roster is not that great, so that's probably not going to happen in the next few years...)

Ted$8roadFan

Training camp has begun for the 2022 season.

thspfc

And now Arizona removed the homework clause lol. Honestly, removing it after causing a media stir is even worse than including it in the first place.

Ted$8roadFan

Talk about making a bad situation worse I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that locker room

thspfc

Watson suspended a whole 6 games.

Calvin Ridley got 16 games for betting on games he wasn't even involved in. And I'm not saying that Ridley shouldn't have been suspended; betting is a serious offense for a player and it can't happen. But I don't understand how Watson doesn't get a longer suspension than Ridley.

Perhaps most egregious is that Zeke got 6 games for ONE ACCUSATION that wasn't even true.

For an AFC team, Cleveland's schedule is stupidly easy to start the year. Even with Brissett or whoever else starting the first 6, they shouldn't be worse than 3-3.

webny99

No comment on the suspension length other than I'm not shocked as I figured it would be less than a year. But I must say, the back loading of Cleveland's schedule was probably intentional. Not exactly a gauntlet to get through before Watson returns.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.