News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

"Brad Fini"  has 23 followers and is not verified. Wouldn't trust him either.

Stephane Dumas

R.I.P Len Dawson.
https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2022/08/hall-of-fame-quarterback-broadcaster-len-dawson-dies-at-87.html

QuoteKANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) – Hall of Fame quarterback Len Dawson, whose unmistakable swagger in helping the Kansas City Chiefs to their first Super Bowl title earned him the nickname "Lenny the Cool,"  died Wednesday. He was 87.

Dawson's family announced his death in a statement through KMBC, the Kansas City-based television station where he starred in his second career as a broadcaster. No cause was given, though Dawson had been in declining health for years.

"With wife Linda at his side, it is with much sadness that we inform you of the passing of our beloved Len Dawson,"  the family's statement read. "He was a wonderful husband, father, brother and friend. Len was always grateful and many times overwhelmed by the countless bonds he made during his football and broadcast careers."

The MVP of the Chiefs' victory over the Vikings in January 1970, Dawson had entered hospice care on Aug. 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1vLhHO6uFg

NWI_Irish96

OK, my 2022 standings and playoff predictions:

AFC East - BUF 13-4, NE 9-8, MIA 8-9, NYJ 4-13
AFC North - CIN 11-6, BAL 9-8, PIT 8-9, CLE 6-11
AFC South - IND 11-6, *TEN 10-7, JAX 6-11, HOU 5-12
AFC West - KC 12-5, *LAC 11-6, *LV 10-7, DEN 8-9

NFC East - PHI 10-7, *DAL 9-8, WAS 7-10, NYG 6-11
NFC North - GB 13-4, *CHI 8-9, MIN 8-9, DET 5-12
NFC South - TB 12-5, NO 7-10, CAR 6-11, ATL 4-13
NFC West - LAR 12-5, *SF 11-6, ARI 8-9, SEA 5-12

AFC Wild Card: (2) KC over (7) LV, (3) IND over (6) TEN, (5) LAC over (4) CIN
NFC Wild Card: (2) TB over (7) CHI, (3) LAR over (6) DAL, (5) SF over (4) PHI

AFC Divisional: (1) BUF over (5) LAC, (3) IND over (2) KC
NFC Divisional: (1) GB over (5) SF, (3) LAR over (2) TB

Championships: (1) BUF over (3) IND, (3) LAR over (1) GB

Super Bowl: Buffalo over LA Rams
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Jets went 3-0 in the preseason so I'm predicting 0-17 in the regular season. Prove me wrong.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on August 28, 2022, 08:51:00 PM
Jets went 3-0 in the preseason so I'm predicting 0-17 in the regular season. Prove me wrong.
They might win one game idk though
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 01, 2022, 03:08:24 AM
Quote from: Alps on August 28, 2022, 08:51:00 PM
They might win one game idk though

As much as I enjoyed watching the Lions and Browns go winless in a season, I am no longer routing for a team to lose all of its games, unless that team is the Dolphins.  Nothing would please me more than the same team that is arrogantly proud of their undefeated season also having a winless season!

thspfc

Marcus Maye charged with aggravated assault with a firearm. How about those Saints, really living up to their name with two starters charged with assault this offseason alone.

Henry

With the recent heatwave on the West Coast, SoFi Stadium will have everyone sweating inside during the Bills-Rams game because it doesn't have air conditioning. And that could possibly be a fatal mistake, with the power grid being in danger of overloading. I wouldn't be surprised if that game got a repeat of Super Bowl XLVII's infamous blackout.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

thspfc

That time again . . .

Rams 30, Bills 27
Eagles 38, Lions 24
49ers 23, Bears 22
Bengals 24, Steelers 20
Dolphins 27, Patriots 17
Browns 21, Panthers 20
Colts 33, Texans 17
Saints 30, Falcons 13
Ravens 35, Jets 10
Commanders 28, Jaguars 17
Vikings 29, Packers 14
Titans 30, Giants 22
Chargers 37, Raiders 30
Chiefs 31, Cardinals 21
Cowboys 26, Buccaneers 19
Broncos 23, Seahawks 13

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Henry on September 07, 2022, 10:38:44 AM
With the recent heatwave on the West Coast, SoFi Stadium will have everyone sweating inside during the Bills-Rams game because it doesn't have air conditioning. And that could possibly be a fatal mistake, with the power grid being in danger of overloading. I wouldn't be surprised if that game got a repeat of Super Bowl XLVII's infamous blackout.

You can bet the NFL is scrambling to have contingencies in place to avoid another CF like that.  At least this time, they know circumstances are iffy for the power grid and it's not some hidden flaw in the stadium itself.

I like to imagine that Super Bowl blackout was part of some elaborate heist going on in New Orleans.  Kind of like Oceans 11; everyone distracted by the big sports thing, then they cause a blackout to do whatever to the security gizmo.  Boom, baby!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 07, 2022, 11:43:43 AM
Quote from: Henry on September 07, 2022, 10:38:44 AM

You can bet the NFL is scrambling to have contingencies in place to avoid another CF like that.  At least this time, they know circumstances are iffy for the power grid and it's not some hidden flaw in the stadium itself.

They can go to Home Depot and buy a million window units to solve the heat issue! :-D

webny99

With regards to the "forking" competition upthread, tomorrow is the deadline to fork teams to get the full 20 points. After kickoff, forks through week 8 will be worth 15 points. I took a long, hard look at my list and I'm sticking with it:

Quote from: webny99 on August 02, 2022, 02:03:39 PM
Alright, I settled on 12 teams. [...] Here goes:

Steelers
Browns
Jets
Patriots
Texans
Titans

Falcons
Giants
Commanders
Seahawks
Lions
Bears

NWI_Irish96

I'm not going to be quite as aggressive, I'll fork these teams:

Jets
Browns
Texans
Lions
Falcons
Seahawks

webny99

We'll see if my aggression pays off. I'm planning on doing my remaining forks after week 8 (not to give away my strategy  :-D)

In other NFL forecasting news, FiveThirtyEight's NFL predictions came out today: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-nfl-predictions/

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on September 07, 2022, 09:45:57 PM
We'll see if my aggression pays off. I'm planning on doing my remaining forks after week 8 (not to give away my strategy  :-D)

In other NFL forecasting news, FiveThirtyEight's NFL predictions came out today: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-nfl-predictions/
One thing he's not good at. Way too close in wins/losses for the 32 teams. Some are gonna shine and he should be doing a better job with that.

webny99

Quote from: Alps on September 07, 2022, 10:34:02 PM
Quote from: webny99 on September 07, 2022, 09:45:57 PM
One thing he's not good at. Way too close in wins/losses for the 32 teams. Some are gonna shine and he should be doing a better job with that.

Yeah, I don't pay much attention to the forecasted win totals because they're always clustered close to .500. I mostly use it is a reference for playoff/division odds and individual games.

jgb191

One this day two decades ago, I finally became an NFL football fan....my Houston Texans played their first game in franchise history. 

Before the Texans, I didn't have much of an interest in the NFL because having lived in my Lone Star State my whole life I never had a team to cheer for.  I was obviously way too young to remember the Oilers, and by the time I realized Houston had the Oilers, Bud Adams soon after announced his intention to relocate the franchise to Tennessee, so there was no point for me to even cheer for them their last couple seasons.

Bob McNair jolted the area's NFL interest when his team brought the Texans to my state.  Even so Houston still remained the most divided NFL fanbase in the country which was divided even deeper after Hurricane Katrina, with the influx of N.O. Saints fans into the city.  The Saints are solidly the largest fanbase of an outsider team followed by the Cowboys.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Henry

My suspicions may become reality, as the Bears' proposed home in Arlington Heights will be either a domed or retractable-roof stadium. And to me, that makes a lot more sense than the Mayor's crazy proposal to build a dome over Soldier Field, which I do not like. Perhaps this will open the door for the Chicago area to host some big-ticket events in the future, like the Super Bowl and NCAA Men's Final Four.

Meanwhile, there have been rumors going around that a second team may be established in Chicago after the Bears leave, but I'm sort of skeptical about it because no team is looking to relocate that I'm aware of, and it's lagging far behind New York and Los Angeles (both two-team towns) in about every aspect. My father was 13 when the Cardinals left, but that mattered very little since he was always a Bears and Cubs fan at that time. If there ever were to be a second team, it would have to be an AFC team, and probably be a small-market team like the Jaguars, who are committed to Jacksonville for now anyway. I remember when the Raiders were seeking to leave Oakland for the second time and thinking how I'd love to have the Windy City host them, but I'm glad they're in Las Vegas now, and enjoying it there.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on September 08, 2022, 02:01:34 PM
My father was 13 when the Cardinals left, but that mattered very little since he was always a Bears and Cubs fan at that time.

I've heard stories from some old (some now passed) Chicagoans about the two NFL team era in Chicago. There were pretty clear divisions. Northsiders were Bears and Cubs fans. Southsiders were Cardinals and Sox fans. The rivalries were bitter. Despite the fact that Soldier Field was by far a nicer stadium and better suited for football than either Wrigley or Comiskey, neither NFL team dared move there and be perceived as moving in on the others' territory. A full decade after the Cardinals left, the Bears finally made the move downtown.

When the Cardinals left, most of their fans refused to adopt the Bears and switched their allegiances to the Bears' other main rival, the Packers, and that's why there are so many Packers fans scattered throughout the south side.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 08, 2022, 02:07:23 PM
When the Cardinals left, most of their fans refused to adopt the Bears and switched their allegiances to the Bears' other main rival, the Packers, and that's why there are so many Packers fans scattered throughout the south side.

Now that's holding a grudge!
I hope Chicago doesn't waste money on a retractable roof.  Those are a waste of money for an NFL venue.  There are not enough games in a year to make it worthwhile.  Just dome it.
Look around the country at the retractable roof stadiums in the NFL; they're nearly always closed.  So what was the point of spending tens of millions more (often taxpayer) dollars on something you almost never use?
Phoenix, Houston, Indy, The Death Star; always closed.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Henry on September 08, 2022, 02:01:34 PM
My suspicions may become reality, as the Bears' proposed home in Arlington Heights will be either a domed or retractable-roof stadium. And to me, that makes a lot more sense than the Mayor's crazy proposal to build a dome over Soldier Field, which I do not like. Perhaps this will open the door for the Chicago area to host some big-ticket events in the future, like the Super Bowl and NCAA Men's Final Four.

Meanwhile, there have been rumors going around that a second team may be established in Chicago after the Bears leave, but I'm sort of skeptical about it because no team is looking to relocate that I'm aware of, and it's lagging far behind New York and Los Angeles (both two-team towns) in about every aspect. My father was 13 when the Cardinals left, but that mattered very little since he was always a Bears and Cubs fan at that time. If there ever were to be a second team, it would have to be an AFC team, and probably be a small-market team like the Jaguars, who are committed to Jacksonville for now anyway. I remember when the Raiders were seeking to leave Oakland for the second time and thinking how I'd love to have the Windy City host them, but I'm glad they're in Las Vegas now, and enjoying it there.

Why would Chicago get another team to "replace"  the Bears? The Bears are not actually leaving. It's similar to the 49ers in Santa Clara (which it's become an open secret that was a huge mistake, but I digress)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CoreySamson

Quote from: jgb191 on September 08, 2022, 01:23:25 AM
The Saints are solidly the largest fanbase of an outsider team followed by the Cowboys.
I completely disagree. I'd say Cowboys fans outnumber Saints fans in the Houston area 10 to 1 from what I've seen.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

Quote from: CoreySamson on September 08, 2022, 07:17:33 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on September 08, 2022, 01:23:25 AM
The Saints are solidly the largest fanbase of an outsider team followed by the Cowboys.
I completely disagree. I'd say Cowboys fans outnumber Saints fans in the Houston area 10 to 1 from what I've seen.

If it was following the Cowboys, that I could see. But I would be very surprised if the Saints are #1 anywhere in Texas.

webny99

No Bills commentary from me until February if I can help it, but as for the Rams, here is a shocking stat: Sean McVay is now under .500 for the first time in his head coaching career.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: webny99 on September 09, 2022, 10:20:09 AM
No Bills commentary from me until February if I can help it, but as for the Rams, here is a shocking stat: Sean McVay is now under .500 for the first time in his head coaching career.

You mean the team he coaches is now sub .500 for the season, and not his overall coaching career record?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.