News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: thspfc on November 28, 2022, 10:22:32 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 28, 2022, 10:19:36 AM
Quote from: thspfc on November 27, 2022, 10:08:36 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 27, 2022, 09:46:45 PM
the entire NFC East is now in playoff position
What hurts the chances of the entire division making it is that the Giants and Commies, the bottom two, still have to play each other twice. If one team sweeps those games it pretty much guarantees that the loser will miss out.

The scheduling is interesting in that respect. Washington's next two games are both against the Giants (road game this coming Sunday, home game two weeks later, with the bye week in between), while the Giants have already had their bye week and have a home game against Philadelphia sandwiched in between. The Giants' schedule makes the prospect of a Washington sweep that much more interesting in terms of playoff ramifications.

That schedule prompts me to wonder, BTW, how often in the modern era (let's say since 1960) an NFL team has played the same opponent two games in a row in the regular season, even recognizing that the bye week arguably distinguishes it slightly.
Ravens and Browns last year. FWIW, they split those games one each.

I see the 1991 Chargers and Seahawks also had two games in a row against each other with both terms' bye week in between (recall Seattle was in the AFC West then).

Edited to add: CBS reports the Jets and Dolphins were scheduled to do the same in 2020 (again with the bye week intervening) until COVID-related issues forced in-season schedule changes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 28, 2022, 09:58:26 AM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on November 28, 2022, 09:43:29 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 28, 2022, 12:10:03 AM
Aaron Rodgers could be done in the NFL after injury?
Rodgers believes he can play in next game.  Will say Love by having a couple decent series vs Eagles has made the discussion for should they be sitting Rodgers, to get him healthy, a lot more interesting now.  With the ribs injury added on it makes in almost certain IMHO when Packers are mathematically eliminated that Love win be starting rest of games for the season.

Rodgers has a contract through 2026. I'm not a salary cap expert, so I don't know if him retiring saves them more cap space compared to releasing him.

If retirement saves more cap space, then maybe throw him out there the rest of the season with backup offensive linemen to perhaps encourage him to choose retirement.
It would be a catastrophic cap hit if Rodgers was released next year.

thspfc

Quote from: Big John on November 28, 2022, 10:44:21 AM
Rodgers believes he can play in next game.  Will say Love by having a couple decent series vs Eagles has made the discussion for should they be sitting Rodgers, to get him healthy, a lot more interesting now.  With the ribs injury added on it makes in almost certain IMHO when Packers are mathematically eliminated that Love win be starting rest of games for the season.

Rodgers has a contract through 2026. I'm not a salary cap expert, so I don't know if him retiring saves them more cap space compared to releasing him.

If retirement saves more cap space, then maybe throw him out there the rest of the season with backup offensive linemen to perhaps encourage him to choose retirement.
It would be a catastrophic cap hit if Rodgers was released next year.
What's the alternative? Grasp at straws with an aging Rodgers while Love sits for a 4th year? That would almost certainly mean cutting Love in either 2024 or 2025, as they wouldn't give him a large QB second contract unless they take his 5th year and he terrorizes the league in 2024.

They have to see what Love's got. The longer they wait the worse the situation will become and the longer it will be before they can rebuild. If that means trading or cutting Rodgers then so be it.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on November 27, 2022, 10:08:36 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 27, 2022, 09:46:45 PM
the entire NFC East is now in playoff position
What hurts the chances of the entire division making it is that the Giants and Commies, the bottom two, still have to play each other twice. If one team sweeps those games it pretty much guarantees that the loser will miss out.

It's been interesting to watch the Commies slowly catch up to the Giants over the last month or so. I think their matchups next week and three weeks from now will have massive long-term consequences in terms of how those teams approach the draft and free agency. 11-6 and in the playoffs compared to 9-8 and out of them is a huge difference to players, coaches, GMs, fans, and owners.

FWIW, I like the Commanders' chances a lot better as long as they at least split with the Giants. Having already played both games against the Eagles helps, but it's not just the schedule. I think they're a much better team with higher upside. The Giants are more consistent, but they're still rebuilding and very limited on offense especially when Barkley doesn't get going. Their season high in points is 27, while the Commanders were just the second team all season to put up 30 on the now 10-1 Eagles. So, I think a split would be a win for the Giants.

gr8daynegb

If Rodgers retires, gets traded, or cut (teams would still trade decent draft pick or two so why cut AR?) the Packers take a huge cap hit in 2023.  Packers have to hope Rodgers to create cap space is willing to renegotiate his deal.  Otherwise trading Love might be a path the Packers need to look at.  As for 2022 it's best Rodgers sits and gets healthy, he'll likely play vs Bears if medically cleared and as Packers mathematically could make the playoffs.  But after that should be playing Love to gain leverage for trading Love to get a better pick, or to obtain any sort of leverage back at Rodgers if he goes the Favre offseason path. But the head coach and GM need to make their decision and stick with it, they run the team and need to act like it.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: gr8daynegb on November 28, 2022, 03:22:32 PM

If Rodgers retires, gets traded, or cut (teams would still trade decent draft pick or two so why cut AR?) the Packers take a huge cap hit in 2023.  Packers have to hope Rodgers to create cap space is willing to renegotiate his deal.  Otherwise trading Love might be a path the Packers need to look at.  As for 2022 it's best Rodgers sits and gets healthy, he'll likely play vs Bears if medically cleared and as Packers mathematically could make the playoffs.  But after that should be playing Love to gain leverage for trading Love to get a better pick, or to obtain any sort of leverage back at Rodgers if he goes the Favre offseason path. But the head coach and GM need to make their decision and stick with it, they run the team and need to act like it.

To trade Love, someone has to want him.

webny99

Given that they invested a first rounder on Jordan Love, I think it makes sense to see what you have with him for the rest of the season, and if you like it, then trade Rodgers.

1995hoo

Heh. The Commanders might decide Rodgers should be next up in the "find a veteran to try to supersede Heinicke" sweepstakes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 28, 2022, 03:43:10 PM

Is this supposed to mean something outside the context of the NFL?
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

gr8daynegb

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 28, 2022, 03:43:10 PM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on November 28, 2022, 03:22:32 PM

There were teams willing to trade up to a 2nd round pick last offseason, up to you if you believe those stories and sources.  But you'll have teams like the Colts and others that'll have interest I'm guessing.  If Love had a good December, he could nab a decent pick in return.  There are two top level QB's this upcoming draft, but teams will take chances on guys on players they see the potential in.  If Love has a good December many would rather take a chance with him than a draft pick as that'll do well to erase concerns had about Love that the Chiefs game and other times Love entered games in 2021 caused.

gr8daynegb

Not saying Love goes to these teams. But these teams appear to have, or could have, uncertain QB situations going into 2023.
Pats, Texans, Commanders, Lions, Bucs, Falcons, Saints, Panthers Seahawks, Jets, Raiders, 49ers, and Broncos

Some like the Jets, Pats I listed because current young qb causing doubt. Teams like them will kick the tires even if they stay with what they have. Broncos (buyer's remorse on Wilson) or Raiders(sticking with Carr as long as they have) might try and find move on from them.  The NFC South outside of Brady who is defying father time has mediocre starting qb's, and when Brady does retire or father time catches makes it the whole division have lackluster QBs.

Teams like the 49ers might feel the QB is the only thing holding them back. 49ers tried to move on from Jimmy G, and with Trey Lances injury will they stay committed to him?

We can debate the actual return the Packers trading Love or Rodgers could get them, but there will be interest in whichever QB they'd try and trade

thspfc

Quote from: gr8daynegb on November 28, 2022, 04:12:37 PM
Teams like the 49ers might feel the QB is the only thing holding them back. 49ers tried to move on from Jimmy G, and with Trey Lances injury will they stay committed to him?
First off, Garoppolo is not holding the 49ers back. He's playing well. If anything, their issue is the awkward situation associated with his replacement.

What even makes you think Love is an attractive target for QB-needy teams? He's played 1 real game, and didn't look too good. Even if he starts the rest of this season and plays well, I doubt anyone would give up more than a 3rd round pick for him. Everyone except maybe Carolina and Houston would take their current QB over Love without question.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on November 28, 2022, 05:08:44 PM
What even makes you think Love is an attractive target for QB-needy teams? He's played 1 real game, and didn't look too good. Even if he starts the rest of this season and plays well, I doubt anyone would give up more than a 3rd round pick for him. Everyone except maybe Carolina and Houston would take their current QB over Love without question.

That's why I posted above that someone would have to want him. I could easily see him getting released and clearing waivers. The game he started, he basically looked as good at QB as Kendall Hinton.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: thspfc on November 28, 2022, 05:08:44 PM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on November 28, 2022, 04:12:37 PM
First off, Garoppolo is not holding the 49ers back. He's playing well. If anything, their issue is the awkward situation associated with his replacement.

Like I said "Teams like the 49ers might feel", they obviously weren't thinking Jimmy G was the guy to get them there as they were giving the job to Lance only to have to give it back to Jimmy G because of injury.  My own opinion is Jimmy is a very capable NFL QB in the line of of guys like Alex Smith.....meaning he's plenty good enough to leading solid teams but when it comes to leading teams to a Superbowl then maybe not.

Love is 24 years old. He's athletic and has a good NFL arm and has had the opportunity to sit and learn behind a 1st ballot HOF qb.  Listening on WDUZ and WNFL and their national shows in Green Bay teams like the Browns were offering up to a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Love before they traded for Watson last offseason (your choice again if you believe these rumors or if this was all internet gossip). Last year vs KC he looked like crap, not going to argue that, but also consider what offseason training time he has as well due to leagues Covid restrictions.  This year the Packers and Aaron Rodgers have been raving about the leaps Love took from last season to this year.  And when Love has gotten into games this year he looks like a capable NFL QB this time around.  If the Packers were to sit Rodgers after the Bears game or when Packers are mathematically eliminated if Love was in those 3 or 4 games to appear and strengthen the belief he can be a good to great starter then is vary plausible a team could come to the Packers trying to trade for him, or the Packers if they could make things work with the cap they could trade Rodgers and get good value for him as well. 

And when I listed possible teams with QB issues.....yes it's very possible many of them may stick with what they have but name me a team that I listed that is perfectly happy with who they have long term.  The Falcons would like to do better than Mariota, the Saints had two retreads as their starters, whoever the Panthers play this season at QB seems to always be the wrong choice.  Doesn't mean they'd be interested in Love, but as stated means they are likely to be looking and that creates leverage.  If Love was to start and have success to finish this year then scouting departments get to debate when it's best to go with 21 and 22 year old college qb's vs a 24 year old QB that has NFL footage.  IF Love was to repeat 2021 again, then you win the argument......but if Love plays well the potential he has get some teams at least making calls to 1265 to gauge interest.

thspfc

Quote from: gr8daynegb on November 30, 2022, 10:56:25 AM
My own opinion is Jimmy is a very capable NFL QB in the line of of guys like Alex Smith.....meaning he's plenty good enough to leading solid teams but when it comes to leading teams to a Superbowl then maybe not.
It's hard not to mention that Garoppolo has led his team to a Super Bowl, as well as a close loss in the NFC title game. Now, the team was heavily reliant on the rushing game and defense for both of those playoff runs. But still.

QuoteLove is 24 years old. He's athletic and has a good NFL arm and has had the opportunity to sit and learn behind a 1st ballot HOF qb.
Whatever happened in college, whatever the scouts saw, has no importance anymore. NFL is a different game. It's been 3 years and he's played one game. We know nothing.

QuoteFalcons would like to do better than Mariota, the Saints had two retreads as their starters, whoever the Panthers play this season at QB seems to always be the wrong choice.  Doesn't mean they'd be interested in Love, but as stated means they are likely to be looking and that creates leverage.
:confused: If they're not interested then they're not going to pursue him.

QuoteIf Love was to start and have success to finish this year then scouting departments get to debate when it's best to go with 21 and 22 year old college qb's vs a 24 year old QB that has NFL footage.  IF Love was to repeat 2021 again, then you win the argument......but if Love plays well the potential he has get some teams at least making calls to 1265 to gauge interest.
Why not just keep him then? Rodgers is not Rodgers anymore. He's further from his peak than Brady is from his.

JayhawkCO

8-8 last week. Gross.

Bills over Patriots
Jaguars over Lions
Vikings over Jets
Falcons over Steelers
Packers over Bears
Commies over Giants
Titans over Eagles
Ravens over Broncos
Browns over Texans
Seahawks over Rams
Niners over Dolphins
Chiefs over Bengals
Raiders over Chargers
Bucs over Saints

thspfc

Another decent week at 11-5 despite many upsets. Somehow I've correctly predicted the amount of points the Chargers scored in 3 of the last 4 weeks.

Patriots 20, Bills 19
Bears 27, Packers 17
Falcons 22, Steelers 19
Vikings 31, Jets 24
Jaguars 30, Lions 27
Eagles 26, Titans 17
Texans 28, Browns 21
Commanders 29, Giants 10
Ravens 20, Broncos 14
49ers 28, Dolphins 17
Seahawks 23, Rams 16
Chargers 24, Raiders 21
Chiefs 28, Bengals 13
Cowboys 28, Colts 10
Buccaneers 23, Saints 13

NWI_Irish96

Another 11-5 week

Bills
Steelers
Ravens
Packers
Lions
Browns
Vikings
Giants
Eagles
Seahawks
Dolphins
Bengals
Chargers
Cowboys
Bucs
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on November 17, 2022, 09:24:08 PM
Here's a look at where everyone's at in our competition. Obviously this is really oversimplified, and incomplete because some of us have a few forks left to do. Playoff odds are from 538, with the top 7 in each conference counted as incorrect forks as of today.

Green = not in playoff position
Red = in playoff position

NWI_Irish96
Lions (+20, 4%)
Jets (+20, 59%)
Browns (+20, 8%)
Texans (+20, .1%)
Falcons (+20, 13%)

Seahawks (+20, 76%)
Patriots (+15, 40%)
Steelers (+15, 3%)
Raiders (+15, 1%)
Commanders (+15, 37%)
Panthers (+15, 6%)
Broncos (+13, 3%)
Jaguars (+13, 3%)
Saints (+13, 5%)
Colts (+10, 28%)
Rams (+10, 6%)
Cardinals (+10, 10%)

Current total: 264
-60 for Jets and Seahawks = 204
Forks left: 1
Average playoff % = 17.7

Based off all that I think NWI_Irish_96 is the most likely winner right now. Assuming he doesn't blunder his last fork, I think I'm the only one that can realistically beat him, and I would need the Commanders to make the playoffs. Hobsini2 would have a shot, if he returns to this thread.

Didn't realize I hadn't forked the Bears yet, so that's my last one. If I had one more, I'd fork the Packers also.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jlam

Once again another 11-5 week.

Bills 24, Patriots 14
Steelers 23, Falcons 18
Broncos 16, Ravens 23
Packers 28, Bears 27
Jaguars 28, Lions 30
Browns 27, Texans 20
Jets 19, Vikings 24
Commanders 26, Giants 21
Titans 22, Eagles 27
Seahawks 29, Rams 17
Dolphins 26, 49ers 24
Chiefs 31, Bengals 28
Chargers 23, Raiders 26
Colts 20, Cowboys 30
Saints 21, Buccaneers 23

Roadgeekteen

Not feeling very confident about tonight, hope I'm wrong.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

I was right. We suck.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ted$8roadFan

The torch has been passed....in the AFC East, from the Patriots to the Bills.

Roadgeekteen

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 02, 2022, 02:06:46 PM
Fire Matt Patrica

Or at least get an actual offensive coordinator in that role. As much as I love BB, it makes no sense why he is set on employing old hands and relatives in such key roles, especially with mediocre (for them) results.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.