News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2023, 03:02:48 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 30, 2023, 02:16:04 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2023, 10:07:35 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 30, 2023, 03:07:51 AM
Congratulations to the NY Jets! With the Sacramento Kings winning tonight and clinching their first playoff berth since 2005-06, the Jets now have the longest playoff drought in the Big Four sports, last making it in 2010-11.

J! E! T! S!
May it never end

Of course, no one in the NYC area will notice. No wonder they're so eager to get Aaron Rodgers.
Hopefully the Jets time with Rodgers goes about as well as their time with Favre.
Rodgers wants to join the Jets, Favre didn't.

Alps

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2023, 03:02:48 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on March 30, 2023, 02:16:04 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2023, 10:07:35 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 30, 2023, 03:07:51 AM
Congratulations to the NY Jets! With the Sacramento Kings winning tonight and clinching their first playoff berth since 2005-06, the Jets now have the longest playoff drought in the Big Four sports, last making it in 2010-11.

J! E! T! S!
May it never end

Of course, no one in the NYC area will notice. No wonder they're so eager to get Aaron Rodgers.
Hopefully the Jets time with Rodgers goes about as well as their time with Favre.
hopefully your life of sports is worse than mine

webny99

If the Jets were in the NFC, they'd be a near-lock to make the playoffs. They beat the Packers, who nearly made the playoffs last year, by 17 points with Zach Wilson, and the NFC QB rankings and teams in general have largely gotten even more suspect since then.

I don't remember at what point last offseason we started "forking" teams, but there's exactly 1 of 32 teams that I would feel comfortable forking right now, and that's the Arizona Cardinals. Other than the Cardinals there's not a single team that I would say has zero chance to win their division, much less make the playoffs as a wild card. Definitely not touching either East or North division, but there are a few new teams that I would at least put in the conversation: Titans, Colts (depending on what they do at QB), Bucs, and Rams. No idea how I got to 12 teams last year, even post-draft.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on March 31, 2023, 10:16:22 AM
If the Jets were in the NFC, they'd be a near-lock to make the playoffs. They beat the Packers, who nearly made the playoffs last year, by 17 points with Zach Wilson, and the NFC QB rankings and teams in general have largely gotten even more suspect since then.

I don't remember at what point last offseason we started "forking" teams, but there's exactly 1 of 32 teams that I would feel comfortable forking right now, and that's the Arizona Cardinals. Other than the Cardinals there's not a single team that I would say has zero chance to win their division, much less make the playoffs as a wild card. Definitely not touching either East or North division, but there are a few new teams that I would at least put in the conversation: Titans, Colts (depending on what they do at QB), Bucs, and Rams. No idea how I got to 12 teams last year, even post-draft.
fork the jets

epzik8

I think if OBJ had to choose between the Jets and Ravens, it would be based on which quarterback gets signed first between Aaron and Lamar.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Alps

Quote from: epzik8 on April 04, 2023, 08:17:46 PM
I think if OBJ had to choose between the Jets and Ravens, it would be based on which quarterback gets signed first between Aaron and Lamar.
Nope, it was all about the money.

thspfc

The Haskins family is suing four people, a golf course, two restaurants, a hotel, a rental car company, the Florida DOT (???), the contractor that provided the signage for I-595 (ROFL), the truck company, and the truck driver in regards to Haskins' death: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36147099/dwayne-haskins-drugged-blackmail-conspiracy-death-lawsuit-alleges?platform=amp

I will partially reserve judgement until it's decided in court, but I think suing 13 completely different entities at once (a year later, after not pressing charges on anyone), is a pretty clear tell that this is a terrible attempt at a money grab.

Roadgeekteen

I feel like the Ravens know that Lamar could come back. If they knew he was leaving they wouldn't have thrown all that money at OBJ.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Which will make it even more hilarious if Lamar doesn't come back and OBJ is left to rot
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ET21 on April 11, 2023, 10:07:08 AM
Which will make it even more hilarious if Lamar doesn't come back and OBJ is left to rot
Nah he was pro bowl QB Tyler Huntley throwing to him

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ted$8roadFan

ET21

Really looking forward to the Draft, lotta QB desperate teams and the Bears picking 9th
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

jgb191

I would like to believe that Jalen Hurts will be a solid investment by the Eagles, but now signing him to be the highest paid QB in the league, I can only hope the Eagles won't regret it later down the road.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

thspfc

Quote from: jgb191 on April 18, 2023, 12:20:03 AM
I would like to believe that Jalen Hurts will be a solid investment by the Eagles, but now signing him to be the highest paid QB in the league, I can only hope the Eagles won't regret it later down the road.
What could they have done instead?

You need the guy. If you have the guy, you pay him what the market demands. It's crazy to me that in 2023 so many fans still don't understand how the quarterback market works. "Highest-paid player in the history of the league"  means "most recent top 12 QB to sign a new contract" . He will be surpassed for sure by the end of next offseason, and likely within the next couple months by Burrow and Herbert.

Drafting Patrick Mahomes every 5 years is not an option, despite what fans on the internet will tell you. The narrative that big quarterback contracts will tank your franchise is dumbfounding, especially since the last 3 Super Bowl champions have had their QB on a big contract.

jgb191

^ There are 22 starters on each team (eleven on each side), if one player get the largest slice of the pie, how much is there left for the remaining 21 players?  It's like you buy two dozen donuts for your 22 employees and one of them is offered ten donuts, how do you divide the remaining donuts left for all your other players?  I guess what I'm trying to get at is that one player can't beat an entire team all by himself?
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

DenverBrian

NFL Sunday Ticket is finally available to everyone via YouTube TV! I'm a current user, so I got a $249 deal for the upcoming season - a no-brainer IMO.

thspfc

Quote from: jgb191 on April 18, 2023, 01:38:24 PM
^ There are 22 starters on each team (eleven on each side), if one player get the largest slice of the pie, how much is there left for the remaining 21 players?  It's like you buy two dozen donuts for your 22 employees and one of them is offered ten donuts, how do you divide the remaining donuts left for all your other players?  I guess what I'm trying to get at is that one player can't beat an entire team all by himself?
Again: the quarterback market.

What should they have done instead? A top-tier QB in 2023 costs about $50 million per year. You either pay that $50 million or you roll with whoever you can find in the draft (who, overwhelmingly likely, will not be nearly as good). Teams without top-tier QBs are rarely successful.

You need a franchise quarterback, and keeping him on a small contract indefinitely is simply not an option. You pay him his market value, or you let him walk. If you let him walk, you have no franchise QB, and therefore you will almost certainly not be successful.

Whether this level of QB salary cap dominance is sustainable is a completely different question, but that's basically irrelevant. Next year the market value might be $55 million or it might be $45 million. It will still be a large portion of the cap that teams who are fortunate enough to have a franchise QB will have to pay.

triplemultiplex

It just stands out because we tend to associate best paid with best player.  So when the highest paid QB is clearly not the best player in the league, people open their mouths based solely on that.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 19, 2023, 11:51:16 AM
It just stands out because we tend to associate best paid with best player.  So when the highest paid QB is clearly not the best player in the league, people open their mouths based solely on that.
It's all supply and demand.

With Brady's retirement, you could argue that the best player in the league is making only $6 million a year - Justin Tucker. He's the only GOAT of a position that's currently playing.

Roadgeekteen

It's done. Aaron Rodgers has been traded to the Jets.

triplemultiplex

Wow, the Packers had to deal two draft picks as well as Rodgers?  Interesting.
Jets get: Rodgers and GB's 1st and 5th round picks in this year's draft.
Packers get: Jets' 1st, 2nd, 6th round picks this year and a second round pick next year.

That 2024 pick will be a first rounder if Rodgers plays 65% of this year's snaps for the Jets.  So stay healthy?
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Ted$8roadFan

I hope the latest ARod to grace the New York sports scene can handle a much different media landscape than the one he left in Wisconsin.

Henry

And so ends the latest chapter in the Bears-Packers saga.

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 24, 2023, 06:23:35 PM
I hope the latest ARod former Packers QB to grace the New York sports scene can handle a much different media landscape than the one he left in Wisconsin.
FTFY

Of course, we remember the last time the Jets poached a signal-caller from the Cheeseheads; he was never the same again.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tchafe1978

Quote from: Henry on April 24, 2023, 10:33:40 PM
And so ends the latest chapter in the Bears-Packers saga.

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on April 24, 2023, 06:23:35 PM
I hope the latest ARod former Packers QB to grace the New York sports scene can handle a much different media landscape than the one he left in Wisconsin.
FTFY

Of course, we remember the last time the Jets poached a signal-caller from the Cheeseheads; he was never the same again.

And just think, with any luck, the Packers will have yet another QB to own the Bears for the next 15 years.  :bigass:

skluth

Quote from: triplemultiplex on April 24, 2023, 04:45:40 PM
Wow, the Packers had to deal two draft picks as well as Rodgers?  Interesting.
Jets get: Rodgers and GB's 1st and 5th round picks in this year's draft.
Packers get: Jets' 1st, 2nd, 6th round picks this year and a second round pick next year.

That 2024 pick will be a first rounder if Rodgers plays 65% of this year's snaps for the Jets.  So stay healthy?

If you consider the first round swap is about the difference between the value of the 5th/6th swap, the deal is basically Rodgers for a second and a conditional first/second round pick with the pick swaps mostly a wash. Wanting to move up two spots could mean they're targeting someone like Smith-Njigba or Van Ness. But at least now all the speculation is over.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.