News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

O.J. Simpson, football star Dead at 76

Started by bing101, April 11, 2024, 11:33:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 11, 2024, 12:45:58 PMHad DNA evidence been more established in the public's mind at the time, I am convinced he would have been convicted in short order. For those who weren't around back then, it was still a pretty new science and his attorney's played off on that to create reasonable doubt.

My uncle was a forensic chemist for the Department of Defense and testified in many court martials in a similar way. He said that the evidence made him 100% guilty but that the LAPD made enough mistakes that he understood why he wasn't convicted.

For those who are sports fans, there's a fantastic 30 for 30 film about the infamous Bronco chase coinciding with Game 5 of the NBA Finals between the Knicks and Rockets, and the first ever World Cup game played in the US in Chicago.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

elsmere241

I only caught the tail end of the chase.  I don't remember what else, if anything, I watched that night.  (My grandparents didn't have cable.)

Another thing that wasn't watched was David Hasselhoff's PPV special, FWIW.

And I know there wasn't much attendance at the usual Tuesday at 11 (Mountain) forum at BYU when the verdict was read.  Considering what the jury had asked to be read back, I kind of knew what the verdict was going to be.

Max Rockatansky

I was far more interested in what was happening in the NBA Finals.  At the time my family was living in Connecticut and the Patrick Ewing Knicks were a huge deal.  Interestingly a lot of the Bills fans in middle school were convinced O.J. was innocent. 

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

WillWeaverRVA

Well great, now we'll never know who the real killer was.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 12, 2024, 10:35:20 AMWell great, now we'll never know who the real killer was.

The cancer story is a fabrication. OJ had discovered the real killer, so to avoid being identified, the real killer killed OJ.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on April 12, 2024, 10:35:20 AMWell great, now we'll never know who the real killer was.

There may have been some signs long ago...

mgk920

The best memory of him to me is an a TV ad that he once did (Hertz Rent a Car?) sowing him flying through and airport terminal like Superman.  A commentator said later on that "if he can fly through an airport terminal like that, then why is he at an airport to begin with?"    :-D

Mike

elsmere241

Quote from: mgk920 on April 12, 2024, 12:50:34 PMThe best memory of him to me is an a TV ad that he once did (Hertz Rent a Car?) sowing him flying through and airport terminal like Superman.  A commentator said later on that "if he can fly through an airport terminal like that, then why is he at an airport to begin with?"    :-D

The only Hertz ad I remember him doing was for their upper-tier service, where he said "I don't have to run now."  I didn't watch a lot of football before college, so the other ads are essentially before my time.

Rothman

Yeah, the Hertz ads were ubiquitous.  Him hurdling through terminals and whatnot.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ozarkman417

"If I Did It" by Cancer

Rest in piss, OJ.

Roadgeekteen

OJ can rest in peace knowing that the killer is finally dead
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.