News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I been noticing Dollar Generals has been popping up everywhere.

Started by XamotCGC, June 28, 2022, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

abefroman329

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 27, 2022, 12:17:59 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on August 26, 2022, 05:20:17 PM
I just assumed it was "General" as in "General Store," not the military rank.

That was the thought behind my joke.
Oh, I was also responding to the earlier post wondering if was "Dollar Generals" or "Dollars General."

hbelkins

There are a number of folks around here who call it "General Dollar" and have for years. Of course, since DG's home base was originally Kentucky, we've had DG stores in many of our small towns for decades.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: abefroman329 on August 29, 2022, 02:49:00 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 27, 2022, 12:17:59 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on August 26, 2022, 05:20:17 PM
I just assumed it was "General" as in "General Store," not the military rank.

That was the thought behind my joke.
Oh, I was also responding to the earlier post wondering if was "Dollar Generals" or "Dollars General."

Well, then never mind.  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

LM117

Quote from: LM117 on August 21, 2022, 07:49:09 AM
^^ Speaking of the fire chief, a Dollar General near me recently reopened after being shut down by a fire marshal for nearly 2 weeks. While the store was closed, a sign was stuck on the door that said "Closed for maintenance". It wasn't until I called the other day and asked if they had reopened yet that I was told that a fire marshal came in, shut them down, and told them they had a certain amount of days to get their shit together or the store would close for good. I suspect a customer finally got fed up and reported it.

The only thing that surprised me was that it didn't happen a hell of a lot sooner. The store was constantly cluttered, and half the aisles were blocked with packed carts (why use a stock room when you can just use the floor?). The manager, who was hired not that long ago, doesn't give a shit, just like her numerous predecessors (I've lost count), so she'll probably be shown the door soon, if she hasn't already.

Apparently, several other DG stores in the county here also got the fire marshal's attention over the past year.

https://www.chathamstartribune.com/news/article_6acbb0da-6b43-11ed-b9af-5b0a2addbaed.html
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Bruce

ScrapeHero claims that there are 18,774 locations in 47 states.

The first WA location opened in 2020 and now there's dozens of them that I've seen in small towns. They're starting to creep towards the Seattle metro area as well.

Flint1979

Quote from: Bruce on January 07, 2023, 05:02:48 PM
ScrapeHero claims that there are 18,774 locations in 47 states.

The first WA location opened in 2020 and now there's dozens of them that I've seen in small towns. They're starting to creep towards the Seattle metro area as well.
Yeah no doubt I've seen them all over Michigan, all over Ohio, all over Indiana, all the way to Florida.

Flint1979

I work in St. Charles so I'm in that area all the time. They built a Dollar General there probably 5 years or so ago, now they demolished the car wash across the street to build a Family Dollar/Dollar Tree. How many dollar stores does a town need? St. Charles isn't very big.

LM117

Quote from: Flint1979 on January 08, 2023, 06:27:23 AM
I work in St. Charles so I'm in that area all the time. They built a Dollar General there probably 5 years or so ago, now they demolished the car wash across the street to build a Family Dollar/Dollar Tree. How many dollar stores does a town need? St. Charles isn't very big.

I noticed so far that where there's a Family Dollar and DG in close proximity to each other, DG seems to do the most business.

In Pikeville NC, back in the mid-2000's, Family Dollar built a store in town to compete with the DG that was already there. It didn't last that long. AutoZone has since moved into the building. You question how many dollar stores does a small town need. Hell, I question how many DG stores are needed within a small radius. Fremont is only 3 miles north of Pikeville along US-117, and there's a DG there, too.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Flint1979

Quote from: LM117 on January 08, 2023, 07:52:11 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on January 08, 2023, 06:27:23 AM

I noticed so far that where there's a Family Dollar and DG in close proximity to each other, DG seems to do the most business.

In Pikeville NC, back in the mid-2000's, Family Dollar built a store in town to compete with the DG that was already there. It didn't last that long. AutoZone has since moved into the building. You question how many dollar stores does a small town need. Hell, I question how many DG stores are needed within a small radius. Fremont is only 3 miles north of Pikeville along US-117, and there's a DG there, too.
They just built a new DG south of Saginaw on M-13 which is about 6 miles north of another DG that has been there for a few years. Then they went ahead and built one on Lincoln Road just south of M-57. Lincoln turns into Durand Road in Shiawassee County so it's a decently traveled road but if you passed it on M-57 you wouldn't even know the DG was there. It's behind a gas station and the township hall.

You can see where the DG is at in this view but the building and GSV don't show up since the GSV is from 2008.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1750484,-83.9895449,18.17z

JREwing78

There are a total of 10 Dollar General stores within a 15 mile radius of Onondaga, MI, the closest ones being 6 and 7 miles away. In theory, more than adequately covered. But, they're putting in a Dollar General in Onondaga.

Mind you, the only other notable businesses in Onondaga are a gas station/c-store and two taverns, one of which has actual food. The property on Dollar General is locating used to be a grain elevator that went defunct over 20 years ago after the railroad line was canned 40 years ago.

Google hasn't bothered to street view the area since 2009. But here's the general location: https://goo.gl/maps/ZBHxMtokLaPDxwAb9

Flint1979

Quote from: JREwing78 on January 08, 2023, 10:51:01 AM
There are a total of 10 Dollar General stores within a 15 mile radius of Onondaga, MI, the closest ones being 6 and 7 miles away. In theory, more than adequately covered. But, they're putting in a Dollar General in Onondaga.

Mind you, the only other notable businesses in Onondaga are a gas station/c-store and two taverns, one of which has actual food. The property on Dollar General is locating used to be a grain elevator that went defunct over 20 years ago after the railroad line was canned 40 years ago.

Google hasn't bothered to street view the area since 2009. But here's the general location: https://goo.gl/maps/ZBHxMtokLaPDxwAb9
I see one in Leslie, one in Eaton Rapids and one in Springport.

Flint1979

We've got a running joke in Saginaw that the hotel that burned down Saturday night is going to become a Dollar General. There's a Dollar General less than a quarter of a mile away from it.

Urban Prairie Schooner

I have seen some isolated DGs, but for a ridiculously isolated instance, search for the DG in Braithwaite, LA on Google Maps.

They dropped a store that could be anywhere in America on unspoiled paradise.

Flint1979

I heard that Dollar General opens at least three new stores every day.

thenetwork

Quote from: LM117 on January 07, 2023, 02:36:43 PM
Quote from: LM117 on August 21, 2022, 07:49:09 AM
^^ Speaking of the fire chief, a Dollar General near me recently reopened after being shut down by a fire marshal for nearly 2 weeks. While the store was closed, a sign was stuck on the door that said "Closed for maintenance". It wasn't until I called the other day and asked if they had reopened yet that I was told that a fire marshal came in, shut them down, and told them they had a certain amount of days to get their shit together or the store would close for good. I suspect a customer finally got fed up and reported it.

The only thing that surprised me was that it didn't happen a hell of a lot sooner. The store was constantly cluttered, and half the aisles were blocked with packed carts (why use a stock room when you can just use the floor?). The manager, who was hired not that long ago, doesn't give a shit, just like her numerous predecessors (I've lost count), so she'll probably be shown the door soon, if she hasn't already.

Apparently, several other DG stores in the county here also got the fire marshal's attention over the past year.

https://www.chathamstartribune.com/news/article_6acbb0da-6b43-11ed-b9af-5b0a2addbaed.html
My job takes me to many regional DG's most are in smaller towns, not in large suburbia locations.  The one thing that surprises me about them is that most of the time, the employee that runs the register is either the only employee in the store and/or the manager.

I can.see why aisles are restricted with dollies or piles of shipped product to be unboxed and shelved.  It seems like if you mention the DG Employee of the Week or Month, it's not because of how well they did, but how LONG they lasted before they quit.

When I do occasions visit a Family Dollar or Dollar Tree in the same areas, I tend to see AT LEAST 2-3 employees in the store at any given time (may or may not include a manager).  That usually explains why I don't see as many "obstacles" in those chains.

Scott5114

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on January 10, 2023, 09:25:57 PM
I have seen some isolated DGs, but for a ridiculously isolated instance, search for the DG in Braithwaite, LA on Google Maps.

They dropped a store that could be anywhere in America on unspoiled paradise.

At least that one's on a state highway. East of Noble, OK there's one in the middle of BFE at the intersection of two random county roads.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1313607,-97.26512,3a,75y,34.91h,86.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6qBPyg6mYdu1XaZo59T7oQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Flint1979

That begs the question, who can find the most isolated in the middle of nowhere Dollar General? I'm talking about where there is nothing for miles.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: hbelkins on July 03, 2022, 05:27:30 PM
The Jackson, Ky. Walmart (a smaller WM dating back to 1985, not a supercenter) has the chinging overhead cameras but only in the health and beauty aisles. Do they really have that much of an issue with people shoplifting shampoo or toothpaste?

Around NYC, all of that is locked up in pretty much any store.

abefroman329

I had to buy a blood pressure monitor at Walgreens today, and I was surprised they weren't locked up. They're small and expensive, but I guess they're hard to fence.

kalvado

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 16, 2023, 10:21:34 PM
I had to buy a blood pressure monitor at Walgreens today, and I was surprised they weren't locked up. They're small and expensive, but I guess they're hard to fence.
Thinking about it...
Blood pressure monitors are not consumable. Many of those who need one already have one; and it may take years before they need a replacement (and probably a specific replacement as there is enough time to develop personal preferences).
Consumabes should have a much better chance to find a buyer.

amroad17

This kind of reminds me of a Lewis Black joke about Starbucks, except here I will substitute Dollar General in paraphrasing.

These two older gentlemen, who are easily forgetful, step out of a Dollar General, look around, see a Dollar General across the street and say, "Hey look!  A Dollar General!  Let's go in!"

I am wondering what most of our members prefer, the yellow brand (Dollar General), the red brand (Family Dollar), or the green brand (Dollar Tree).  My preference has been Dollar Tree, although I do go into Dollar Generals sometimes.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Scott5114

Of the three, Dollar Tree is the only one I've ever intentionally chosen to go into. Every time I end up at Dollar General, it's because either someone else dragged me there, or because I literally had no other option. There's one within walking distance of my house but I've never been inside it.

Even so, I only visit Dollar Tree when I'm looking some really cheap solution to some off the wall thing (like, say, I need a cheap thing to make something else out of, or I need, like, a bowl that's sturdy but that I won't care if it gets ruined). That's only once or twice a year or so. 
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Canada has their own variety of dollar stores (Dollar Tree[maple leaf mark], Dollarama, Great Canadian Dollar Store, Your Dollar Store with More) that can be pretty decent. The "Great Canadian Dollar Store" is more of a loose association of franchises judging by how different the products are in various towns. They all start at $1.50 CAD, though, so soon they'll have to rename themselves to Loonie bins.

amroad17

Our Dollar Tree here in Covington has had their prices go to $1.25 about six months ago.  My wife and I joke that we are going to the "Dollar 25 Tree".  :D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Big John

Quote from: amroad17 on January 18, 2023, 02:04:19 AM
Our Dollar Tree here in Covington has had their prices go to $1.25 about six months ago.  My wife and I joke that we are going to the "Dollar 25 Tree".  :D
They did that nationwide.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.