News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Past tense of the verb "yeet"?

Started by kurumi, July 23, 2022, 01:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which form of the past tense sounds most correct or natural to you?

yeeted
20 (58.8%)
yate
3 (8.8%)
yote
8 (23.5%)
yought
3 (8.8%)
yit
0 (0%)
yunk
0 (0%)
yetó
0 (0%)
yechita
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on July 24, 2022, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: thspfc on July 24, 2022, 11:17:35 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 24, 2022, 10:58:21 AM
Quote from: thspfc on July 24, 2022, 10:40:39 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 24, 2022, 08:52:58 AM
I've never heard anyone saying "Kobe"  that wasn't referring to Kobe Bryant or the city in Japan.
It is referring to Kobe Bryant.

Is it?  This page is the first time I've ever seen it used to describe something.  Apparently it has a basketball related reference in Urban Dictionary:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Kobe%21
It's a reference to Kobe in that it's projecting a projectile in hopes of hitting a specific target. You know, what Kobe did.
This whole exchange is fascinating to me since yelling Kobe and flailing at the basket has been around for years now.  Whoever said it means you're likely to miss was spot on.

I'm not completely surprised I don't know this.  I stopped playing basketball in the early 2000s after moving to Phoenix.  All the same, if it started as a Kobe Bryant choking joke I don't know how I didn't encounter it amongst the Suns fan base. 

Scott5114

My understanding is that if you're doing something like throwing a wadded-up paper at a trash can, you would yell "Kobe!" while doing so, to draw attention to the prowess of your shot in progress. Of course, Murphy's Law says that when doing this, you're more likely to miss than actually make it.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 24, 2022, 01:49:08 PM
I've never heard anyone saying "Kobe"  that wasn't referring to Kobe Bryant or the city in Japan.

Is it?  This page is the first time I've ever seen it used to describe something.  Apparently it has a basketball related reference in Urban Dictionary:

It's a reference to Kobe in that it's projecting a projectile in hopes of hitting a specific target. You know, what Kobe did.
This whole exchange is fascinating to me since yelling Kobe and flailing at the basket has been around for years now.  Whoever said it means you're likely to miss was spot on.

I'm not completely surprised I don't know this.  I stopped playing basketball in the early 2000s after moving to Phoenix.  All the same, if it started as a Kobe Bryant choking joke I don't know how I didn't encounter it amongst the Suns fan base.
Kobe started in 1996 and retired in 2016... :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on July 24, 2022, 04:53:37 PM

But at what point during that two decade career did his name become a phrase for lobbing shots?

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 24, 2022, 04:58:36 PM
Quote from: Rothman on July 24, 2022, 04:53:37 PM

But at what point during that two decade career did his name become a phrase for lobbing shots?

I think Dave Chappelle popularized it, when Kobe was under investigation for sexual assault. I know this 2004 Chappelle's Show sketch (NSFW) is where I first heard it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Wiktionary
Etymology 2

From Middle English yeten, ȝeten, from Middle English ye, ȝe ("ye" ). Compare Middle English thouten.

Alternative forms
- yait
- yoit

Verb
- yeet (third-person singular simple present yeets, present participle yeeting, simple past and past participle yeeted)

- (obsolete) To ye (address with the pronoun "ye").
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

hbelkins

Like a few others here, I always thought of "yeet" as something you'd yell in excitement. Similar to "wow" or "yikes' or "crikey" or other exclamations.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

I've only ever heard yeet used in the verb sense, to mean "to throw (something) forcefully in a specified direction."

e.g. "Russia needs to just yeet Vladimir Putin into the Arctic Ocean."
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

paulthemapguy

lmao why

In any case, it's automatic for me to gravitate towards "yeeted", but I'm really liking "yote" for some reason.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Road Hog

I'm more familiar with the verb as "jeet."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.