AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: Athletics President re: keeping the team in Oakland  (Read 26453 times)

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 11:16:08 AM
Re: Athletics President re: keeping the team in Oakland
« Reply #225 on: February 17, 2024, 06:12:44 PM »

With apologies to any A's fans here, this circus is getting really fun to watch right now.
With the elephant in their logo

gonealookin

• Last Login: Today at 10:32:30 AM
Re: Athletics President re: keeping the team in Oakland
« Reply #226 on: February 17, 2024, 06:41:00 PM »

With apologies to any A's fans here, this circus is getting really fun to watch right now.

Oh, I've been an A's fan since I was in grade school in the East Bay and Reggie Jackson, Catfish Hunter and Rollie Fingers were winning World Championships.  There's no need to apologize, the current ownership has certainly turned it into a "circus", which will get even more absurd if they somehow fail to complete their stadium deal in Las Vegas (they have a promise of $380 million courtesy of the Nevada legislature, but the rest of the financing is still up in the air).

In recent years the A's ownership has simply decided not to compete in Major League Baseball.  They had some good players in the 2018-2021 period, but as they gained enough service time and came due for salaries well above the MLB minimum, the A's traded all of them off for other teams' mediocre prospects who would work for cheap (and also be lousy enough to lose 112 games as the team did last season).  It stupefies me that someone would own a major league sports team and be satisfied to cash the checks from TV deals and not try their best to field a winning team; if that's your mentality you need to invest your assets in some other line of business.

If the Vegas ballpark deal were to fall apart I expect the other MLB owners would finally get fed up and force John Fisher to sell the team.  That wouldn't necessarily be any better for Oakland as someone from one of the other cities mentioned as future expansion candidates might step up to be the buyer, or a buyer might just take over the Vegas project.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.