News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

TV Brick

Started by bandit957, August 27, 2022, 12:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone else remember this?

There's something called TV Brick that you can throw at your TV if someone you don't like appears on the screen. Apparently now it's just a foam brick. But it used to be an actual brick. I remember once back around 1980, one of those shows like 'Real People' had a segment about TV Brick, which showed people throwing a TV Brick at TV sets when various characters appeared and shattering the screen. I think they were mostly shows on rival networks.

It was cool.

I remember once in the mid-'90s, I threw a hard dog toy towards my mom's brand new TV because a politician I didn't like appeared. I didn't actually try to hit the TV, but I almost hit the TV by accident.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Max Rockatansky

I remember having to get the TV in the early 1980s when the picture would go out.  I seem to recall the theory was that a transistor would get hot as being the issue.  For some reason kicking the right side of the TV brought optimal screen performance back.

bandit957

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 27, 2022, 12:49:39 PM
I remember having to get the TV in the early 1980s when the picture would go out.  I seem to recall the theory was that a transistor would get hot as being the issue.  For some reason kicking the right side of the TV brought optimal screen performance back.

In the early '80s, our TV set kept acting up, and most things on the screen appeared green. We would always have to stomp our feet to fix it.

Sometimes I'd be in the other room, and I'd hear feet stomping in the living room. That's when I knew the TV was acting up again.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

mgk920

It was usually a poorly fitting connector of some wort or perhaps a bad solder joint.

Mike

amroad17

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 27, 2022, 12:49:39 PM
Yes, whacking the top or the side of the TV would bring "optimal screen performance back", especially when the TV would do the "flip thing" as you were watching a show.  When moving the vertical or horizontal dials (younger people of today: "What the hell are those?") on the TV wouldn't correct the problem, a good whack or two on the top or side would do the trick 90% of the time.

Of course, you had to be careful on your whacks on a black and white 13-inch TV.  You don't want to knock it off your dresser or the TV table set up in your room.  :D
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

triplemultiplex

Absolutely have a friend who owns a foam brick to chuck at the TV during sports when something bad happens to his team.  And another friend with this little plush football doll that you can pull the arms and legs off and chuck at the TV when your team screws up.  Even the head comes off.  And if you get that far, for sure your team is probably going to lose.

The foam brick was better suited for CRT televisions since it was a little hefty to be throwing at a flat screen.

Apparently for some dudes, the only place to really wear your emotions on your sleeve is when watching football games.  And then it ALL comes out.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.