News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Multi-sport doubleheaders

Started by Bruce, November 01, 2022, 06:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

For cities with multiple stadiums in close proximity, these seem to be a rather challenging thing to plan around.

Seattle has had some actual cross-promotions between the Sounders and Mariners where fans get a bonus gift for going to both games. They're also allowed to play simultaneously because attendance is capped at 45K for both teams. The Seahawks normally don't participate since their STHs have reserved spaces in the Mariners parking garage.

LA will have a rather important one on Saturday: the MLS Cup final at 1 pm and UCLA-Cal at 7 pm, both at stadiums in Expo Park. As a result, there is no parking for the MLS Cup.

Big John

When the Ravens won the Super Bowl, they were slated to play at home on a Thursday.  One problem was the Orioles had a game at that time.  The solution was to make the Orioles move the game to the afternoon, but the O's refused to play nice.  The Ravens were set to play Denver.  As there was no resolution, the football game was moved to Denver.

jeffandnicole

In Philly, where Citizens Bank Park (Phillies), Lincoln Financial Field (Eagles) and the Wells Fargo Center (Sixers, Flyers, most concerts) are right across the street from each other, a (pro) baseball game and a (pro) football game are not permitted to take place at the same time.

Baseball and Hockey/Basketball/Concerts at the same time are permitted.

Some of this has to do with parking.  The entire complex is basically sized to fit fans going to the 69,000 seat Linc.  If there's a Phillies game (45k) and Wells Fargo Event (20k) at the same time, there's still enough parking to hold both events.

The closest this became to being an issue was during the 2008 baseball playoffs, when there was an Eagles game at 1, and the Phillies game at 8.

Last month, there was Phillies NLCS game, Temple Football game, and a Smashing Pumpkins concert occurring at the same time in the complex, but so few people attend Temple games, and the Smashing Pumpkins didn't exactly sell out the Center, so those 2 events barely made a dent in available parking.

SectorZ

Quote from: Big John on November 01, 2022, 06:28:36 PM
When the Ravens won the Super Bowl, they were slated to play at home on a Thursday.  One problem was the Orioles had a game at that time.  The solution was to make the Orioles move the game to the afternoon, but the O's refused to play nice.  The Ravens were set to play Denver.  As there was no resolution, the football game was moved to Denver.

That sounds like a Peter Angelos thing to happen.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Bruce on November 01, 2022, 06:19:07 PM
For cities with multiple stadiums in close proximity, these seem to be a rather challenging thing to plan around.

Seattle has had some actual cross-promotions between the Sounders and Mariners where fans get a bonus gift for going to both games. They're also allowed to play simultaneously because attendance is capped at 45K for both teams. The Seahawks normally don't participate since their STHs have reserved spaces in the Mariners parking garage.

LA will have a rather important one on Saturday: the MLS Cup final at 1 pm and UCLA-Cal at 7 pm, both at stadiums in Expo Park. As a result, there is no parking for the MLS Cup.

When did UCLA switch from the Rose Bowl to the Coliseum?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 01, 2022, 06:44:18 PM
In Philly, where Citizens Bank Park (Phillies), Lincoln Financial Field (Eagles) and the Wells Fargo Center (Sixers, Flyers, most concerts) are right across the street from each other, a (pro) baseball game and a (pro) football game are not permitted to take place at the same time.

Some of this has to do with parking.  The entire complex is basically sized to fit fans going to the 69,000 seat Linc.  If there's a Phillies game (45k) and Wells Fargo Event (20k) at the same time, there's still enough parking to hold both events.
I think it's also true in Detroit, where the Tigers' ballpark, the Lions' stadium and the Pistons/Red Wings' arena are practically next to each other. That and Philly are the only two cities I can think of with all of their major league teams playing in the same location.

Cleveland could've had it too (or so I read), but the (original) Browns unfortunately wimped out on the deal, which led to a regrettable ending. The current Browns still play at the same location as their predecessor, just in a different stadium altogether. By comparison, the Indians-turned-Guardians and Cavaliers have done very well in their downtown venues (with three World Series appearances for the former and a LeBron James-driven championship for the letter), and that's always a good thing to see.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

Quote from: Henry on November 02, 2022, 01:26:55 PM

I think it's also true in Detroit, where the Tigers' ballpark, the Lions' stadium and the Pistons/Red Wings' arena are practically next to each other. That and Philly are the only two cities I can think of with all of their major league teams playing in the same location.

Also Kansas City, although they only have two big-four teams (Royals and Chiefs).

Bruce

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 01, 2022, 10:54:32 PM
Quote from: Bruce on November 01, 2022, 06:19:07 PM

When did UCLA switch from the Rose Bowl to the Coliseum?

Got them mixed up. It's USC's game that is screwing things up for the MLS Cup.

1995hoo

In DC, it's not unusual to have an afternoon basketball game at Verizon Center (most often Georgetown, less often an NBA game) followed by a Capitals hockey game that night. I also recall at least one time (October 6, 2019) when DC United played an afternoon home game at Audi Field and then the Nationals played an evening home game about two blocks away at Nationals Park, but that wasn't scheduled in advance because the Nats' game was a postseason Division Series game during their run to the World Series championship. I don't know whether United and the Nats ever play at home on the same day otherwise, recognizing also that Audi Field just opened in 2018 and the 2020 and 2021 seasons cannot be considered representative of normal conditions.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: webny99 on November 02, 2022, 01:50:14 PM
Quote from: Henry on November 02, 2022, 01:26:55 PM

Also Kansas City, although they only have two big-four teams (Royals and Chiefs).
Well, if you want to go that route, Cincinnati (home of the Reds and Bengals) is another one.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

I've thought about this, and I wonder if the NFL avoids scheduling Thursday night games in locations that could be impacted by playoff baseball. Just don't schedule the Chiefs, Eagles, Bengals, Lions to host Thursday night games on baseball playoff days.

GaryV

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 04, 2022, 11:30:15 AM
Just don't schedule the Chiefs, Eagles, Bengals, Lions to host Thursday night games on baseball playoff days.
No need to worry about Detroit.

jp the roadgeek

Boston and New York are never an issue.  For Boston, it's fairly common for the Bruins to have a matinee and the Celtics a night game (happens almost every Black Friday), plus you've had plenty of occasions with simultaneous games at Fenway and the Gahden.  On a late October Sunday, it would be entirely possible to have a Sox home World Series game, a Pats SNF game in Foxboro, and a day/night Bruins/Celtics doubleheader.  In Foxboro, it's possible for the Revs to play Saturday and the Pats Sunday. As for New York, you could have a World Series game at either Yankee or Citi Field, the Giants or Jets at 16W, a Knicks/Rangers doubleheader at MSG, a Nets game at Barclays, an Islanders game at UBS, and a Devils game in Newark at the Pru all going at the same time (though the MTA and PANYNJ might be on overload).  Devils and Nets used to be a problem when they played at 16W, but you could conceivably had an afternoon/night scenario, but not simultaneously. As for Jets/Giants, there have been cases of both teams home on the same weekend; the closest turnpike time being between a Saturday night game and a 1:00 Sunday game. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

@jp I was gonna comment on NY sports and realized they aren't that close to each other. Bruce specifically did say multiple stadiums in close proximity, so that's more like MetroStars* and Devils or MetroStars and Jets/Giants. Maybe Yankees/Rangers and Yankees/Knicks but even that starts to be a stretch in terms of what's considered close.

*not sorry.

skluth

Never a problem with Packers home games. Anybody scheduling anything opposite them in anywhere in NE Wisconsin might as well expect empty stands as most people will either be at the game or watching it on the tube. When Packers playoff home games happen on Saturday, even the car dealers close.

triplemultiplex

They keep playing like this, though...
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NWI_Irish96

So this popped up on my Twitter feed today. A list of all MLB teams, sorted by the distance to the nearest NFL stadium, by smallest to largest.

< 1 mile (serious issues with games at/near the same time)
Detroit
Seattle
Kansas City
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Dallas (Arlington)

Between 1 and 2 miles (possible issues with games at/near the same time)
Cleveland
Minneapolis
Denver

At the other end of the Spectrum are the St Louis Cardinals, who are 230 miles from the nearest NFL stadium.

Henry

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 07, 2022, 07:54:31 PM
So this popped up on my Twitter feed today. A list of all MLB teams, sorted by the distance to the nearest NFL stadium, by smallest to largest.

Detroit
Seattle
Kansas City
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Dallas (Arlington)

Cleveland
Minneapolis
Denver

At the other end of the Spectrum are the St Louis Cardinals, who are 230 miles from the nearest NFL stadium.
How could Pittsburgh not be included? Don't the Pirates and Steelers play next door to each other?

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on November 07, 2022, 08:58:08 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on November 07, 2022, 07:54:31 PM

Detroit
Seattle
Kansas City
Philadelphia
Baltimore
Cincinnati
Dallas (Arlington)

Cleveland
Minneapolis
Denver

How could Pittsburgh not be included? Don't the Pirates and Steelers play next door to each other?

Yep, they're included in group 1. Somehow I skipped a line. Worst part is that I was in Pittsburgh just yesterday.

Alps

I guess Oakland and San Francisco have opted out of any conflicts that once existed.

Henry

Quote from: Alps on November 07, 2022, 10:42:24 PM
I guess Oakland and San Francisco have opted out of any conflicts that once existed.
Those in Chicago, as well as Los Angeles and New York, should be thankful that no such conflict will ever happen, as the stadiums in those cities are well spaced for two different events to happen on the same day, if not at the same time. for the most part, I like how the Cubs play in the daytime, which allows the White Sox to hold their own games at night.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on November 10, 2022, 10:57:18 AM
Quote from: Alps on November 07, 2022, 10:42:24 PM
Those in Chicago, as well as Los Angeles and New York, should be thankful that no such conflict will ever happen, as the stadiums in those cities are well spaced for two different events to happen on the same day, if not at the same time. for the most part, I like how the Cubs play in the daytime, which allows the White Sox to hold their own games at night.

Except the Cubs now play most of their Monday-Thursday games at night.

Road Hog

The American Airlines Center crew in Dallas can get the venue ready in less than 3 hours from the end of a Mavs game to the start of a Stars game and vice versa. Wouldn't call those "doubleheaders" as they are separately ticketed, but there definitely enlies a potential joint marketing opportunity.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.