News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

Matt Cain perfect game, 14 K's.

of course, by now this is so routine that espn.com's front page shows some random golf thing instead of that.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Takumi

That and ESPN considers anything baseball-related outside the AL East and NL East to be less significant.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

Almost another no-hitter tonight. Jason Hammel of the Orioles gave up only one hit to the Braves, a single to Jason Heyward in the 7th. But thanks to MLB's blackout rules, I couldn't watch it despite being in the Orioles broadcast territory.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: Takumi on June 16, 2012, 10:42:04 PM
Almost another no-hitter tonight. Jason Hammel of the Orioles gave up only one hit, a single to Jason Heyward in the 7th. But thanks to MLB's blackout rules, I couldn't watch it despite being in the Orioles broadcast territory.
This year is so exciting with starting pitching in the MLB! With the Mets grabbing a no-hit bid with Santana, Dickey almost getting one of his own, Cain's perfecto, Humber's perfecto, and now Hammel almost grabbing one for the Birds (gotta love the O's this year!) the pitching this year is unbelievable!
Hope everyone is safe!

Mr_Northside

At least we know that steroid use is certainly going down.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

triplemultiplex

On this, the only day in America without pro sports, I'll just say this:
Suck it, American League!  3 in a row baby! How do YOU like it?  I guess you needed more Yankees or something.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Alps

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 11, 2012, 08:18:40 PM
On this, the only day in America without pro sports, I'll just say this:
Washington and Connecticut are currently playing. San Antonio has already defeated Chicago and Atlanta has taken out Seattle. In a pro sport.

corco

Hahahahahahahaha- that's a pro sport as much as I am a goldfish

Alps

Quote from: corco on July 11, 2012, 09:04:00 PM
Hahahahahahahaha- that's a pro sport as much as I am a goldfish
Glub glub.

corco

I share about 80% of my DNA with a goldfish, and I'd say the WNBA is less than 80% a professional sport

Alps

Quote from: corco on July 11, 2012, 09:36:01 PM
I share about 80% of my DNA with a goldfish, and I'd say the WNBA is less than 80% a professional sport
The women who play it would strongly disagree. Basketball is a sport, and they are paid to play it. Ergo, professional.

corco

Hahahahahahahahaha- women's basketball is a sport

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: corco on July 11, 2012, 10:47:18 PM
Hahahahahahahahaha- women's basketball is a sport

Sort of like outsiders viewing us, "roadgeeks," as neurotic cranks.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

CanesFan27

Took in a ball game at PNC Park over the 4th.

The Pirates beat the Astros 2-0.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/adamontheroad/sets/72157630521579114/

Desert Man

The season is ending and my Angels are 2 games behind the A's in an effort to get to the AL wild card. I saw the Orioles and Yankees tied in the AL East, and the Reds and Nationals are leading the NL. Sadly, the Astros are in the bottom of the standings and next year is their first in the American League, the same division where the "Super-Rangers" have their 3rd straight winning season...and sorry Dodger fans, their cross-state rival Giants clinched the NL West.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

1995hoo

I never thought we'd get another team in DC. Makes tonight that much nicer.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Takumi

It's a good time to be a baseball fan from the Mid-Atlantic. (Unlike, say, every year since 2005. That was both the year the Nats moved and when I started watching the Orioles.)

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Desert Man

:clap: The Dodgers won last night vs. the Giants, however the chances of wild card qualification remains slim for the "Blue crew".  :-/  Don Mattingly managed the Dodgers like a manager should. Too bad for the Padres had a less than .500 year, rumor has it is looking to sign Sandy Alomar Jr. to manage them (also the Indians also contactedand  him).

I still want the Angels get the AL wild card spot in pursuit for their first world series in a decade. The problem was Albert Pujols and C.J. Wilson, former world series rivals last year needed to learn some teamwork in Angel uniform. This will happen in the world of pro sports when free agency and trading times can make teammates into rivals (and vice versa).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Takumi

Quote from: Mike D boy on October 02, 2012, 02:58:00 PM
I still want the Angels get the AL wild card spot in pursuit for their first world series in a decade.
They've been eliminated. The five AL playoff teams are the Yankees, Orioles, Tigers, Rangers and A's. The Tigers are the only ones whose spot is known (AL Central champs) because the other four teams are all close enough record-wise that the AL East and West are still undecided. The Yankees and Rangers both lead their divisions, and the A's and Orioles have identical records (92-68) in the wild card spots. Oakland won the season series 5-4 over the Orioles, so the wild card game would be in Oakland if the standings stay as is.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Duke87

Apparently this year they've decided to start breaking ties for division champ vs wild card with an extra 1-game playoff rather than using head to head records. So, if the Yankees lose and Baltimore wins tomorrow night, they go at each other but both go to the playoffs regardless.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on October 02, 2012, 11:38:47 PM
Apparently this year they've decided to start breaking ties for division champ vs wild card with an extra 1-game playoff rather than using head to head records. So, if the Yankees lose and Baltimore wins tomorrow night, they go at each other but both go to the playoffs regardless.
Only if you believe the hype. The reason you need a one-game playoff is because you have a further one-game playoff for the two wild card teams. So winning the division guarantees you entry to "the playoffs", whereas wild card teams only have a 50% chance.

NYYPhil777

Though the Reds denied the Cardinals a win last night by 3-1, the Cardinals are in the playoffs now. Apparently the Dodgers lost.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

Takumi

The AL playoff teams are set. The Yankees win the East, the Tigers the Central, the A's (!) the West, and the Rangers and Orioles (both 93-69) the wild cards. The Rangers won the season series over the Orioles, so the Wild Card game is in Texas.

Also, Miguel Cabrera of the Tigers wins the first Triple Crown since 1967.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Alps

Quote from: Takumi on October 03, 2012, 10:00:17 PM
The AL playoff teams are set. The Yankees win the East, the Tigers the Central, the A's (!) the West, and the Rangers and Orioles (both 93-69) the wild cards. The Rangers won the season series over the Orioles, so the Wild Card game is in Texas.

Also, Miguel Cabrera of the Tigers wins the first Triple Crown since 1967.
Pretty sure the Orioles weren't expecting a trip to Arlington tomorrow. Congrats to Miggy, and go Yankees!

Duke87

Time to start busting out the predictions...

Orioles over Rangers: Texas slid into this position and is reeling. Baltimore is chugging along and will be stronger.
Braves over Cardinals: 5-1 head to head regular season. Easy call.

Yankees over Orioles in 4:  sorry Baltimore, but the Cinderella story this year is 50 miles to the south.
A's over Tigers in 4: the A's are on a roll right now. That will keep up.
Reds over Giants in 5: another toss-up, but for the sake of this exercise I have to pick one.
Nationals over Braves in 4: the Braves are overrated. And this is clearly Washington's year.

A's over Yankees in 7: The Bombers do not have a good record over the past decade or so of converting postseason appearances into championships. This year will not improve that record, but they will go down respectably.
Nationals over Reds in 6: will be a tough matchup, but again, this is Washington's year.

A's over Nationals in 5: But then in the world series, the carriage turns back into a pumpkin and the Nats fall to a team that has good experience with championships. "Their year" is just a pennant.

edited to fix seeding error

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.