News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

The 2012 Giants are better than in 2010! Too bad the Oakland A's face defeat by the Tigers in the divisional playoff. No bay Area series, but that's what I call irony.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Alps

Quote from: Mike D boy on October 28, 2012, 05:26:42 AM
The 2012 Giants are better than in 2010! Too bad the Oakland A's face defeat by the Tigers in the divisional playoff. No bay Area series, but that's what I call irony.
That would make you the only person to call that irony. www.dictionary.com

CentralCAroadgeek

Giants win the World Series!!! Bringing the trophy back to the bay...

ljwestmcsd

The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant! The Giants win the pennant!

NYYPhil777

From a Yankees fan, congratulations Giants on winning this year's World Series, you deserve it. The Giants just happen to be the best team this year.
I correctly predicted that Sandoval would be the World Series MVP.
This is the 7th World Series title for the Giants, and the second in three years for the Giants.
As for the rest of the baseball teams, there's always next year.
I suppose with the New York Giants winning the Super Bowl this year, and the San Francisco Giants winning the World Series this year, 2012 must be the year of the Giant.
(from Blazing Saddles)
Jim: Where you headed, cowboy?
Bart: Nowhere special.
Jim: Nowhere special? I always wanted to go there.
Bart: Come on.

-NYYPhil777

triplemultiplex

It's baseball season again!

A glorious time when we we're all excited to see our teams play for the first time in months and have completely forgotten the ways they suck. :P

I'll be headin' out to the ol' ballpark this weekend to see my Boozers play the D-Bags.  In the immortal words of Homer Simpson, "It's not whether you win or lose, it's how drunk you get."
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

triplemultiplex

The game I saw was terrible; lousy pitching, bad hitting and no Braun, Ramirez or Hart. My team got crushed.  At least I got to high-five all the racing sausages! Go Polish!

The game may have sucked, but the tailgate party was fan-fucking-tastic!  Great food, delicious beer, and I learned a fun new drinking game from this German dude that's perfect for tailgating.  It did rain, but we were prepared and once it passed, it was gorgeous.  Good times.

jp the roadgeek

I'm the ultimate case of forgetting how much my team sucked the last 2 months of last year.  Of course they quit on Kermit the Frog er..Bobby V.  John Farrell is a welcome breath of fresh air so far.  Ok, so it's early, but we're 5-2 so far. The expectations are low, but the Sox could surprise.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Desert Man

The Angels starring 2012 MVP Mike Trout are 15 wins at the present, 12 games behind the Texas Rangers leading the American League, while the St. Louis Cardinals leads the National. My world series prediction (just for fun) is the Braves over Red Sox in 7 games, since the Braves and Red Sox are doing excellent so far. I give credit to the world series champ Giants and contender Tigers, but I expect more wins by the Yankees and Nationals (wild cards).

I been a long time Angels fan when they're winning (their 2002 world series win), but rooted for the Blue Jays in their back-to-back world series era (1992 and 93) interrupted by the 1994 players strike. I keep an eye on the Angels' farm system: Salt Lake (triple-A), Arkansas (AA) Inland Empire and Burlington, Iowa (class A), Orem (short-season A) and the Arizona league rookie team. The Angels former affiliates Lake Elsinore and Rancho Cucamonga of the California League are successful minor league teams in attendance, renevue and civic pride.

The Angels have been part of my life and my family's. I remember viewing the then-California Angels (and briefly the Anaheim Angels, 1997-2005) from a side fence in their former spring training site in Palm Springs in the late 1980s when my Dad lived not far from the stadium at the time. Palm Springs had the minor league affiliate from 1986 to 93 when the minor Angels left town, not long after the Angels spring training camp went to Tempe, Arizona.

I attended two Angels games (in 1996 and 2010 vs. Yankees) and will attend my third game this Sunday (vs. the White sox), so I'm excited to watch them as I visit Anaheim Stadium again. And like my Mom said, who grown up partly in Garden Grove in Orange county when the stadium first opened in 1966: the Angels' tradition of losing at home (and boy, they did when I watched the games). I also attended a Mariners (lost to Yankees) in 2007 and Padres game each (they beat the Giants) in 2009.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

CentralCAroadgeek

Speaking of the Angels, they've been disappointing me as of late. So are the Blue Jays. I say that because I predict both of them to be in the postseason. As for my World Series predictions, I'm still barely hanging on to my Angels/Nationals World Series, though I might start to change my AL Champions prediction. I still want my Giants to be successful, so I put them in the NLCS being beaten by the Nats.

corco

As a Mariners fan, nothing makes me happier than seeing the Angels throw a ton of money at players who are past their prime and watching those results play out.

Real Angels fans are cool, but they're few and far between. For every person like you who actually knows the Angels (which I respect), there's 10 people that are "Angels fans" that can't name a player on the team- they're the Red Sox of the west, and because of that the team on the whole disgusts me. The whole franchise, from Arte Moreno to suburban LA culture to the rally monkey to Mike Scioscia comes off as very smug and entitled, and I actively root for their failure.

Desert Man

The Angels won at home: 6 runs to 2. I feel great to watch my team managed to pull it off today. White sox Sux. BOO HOO...Losers. xD

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Mike D boy on May 20, 2013, 01:03:39 AM
The Angels won at home: 6 runs to 2. I feel great to watch my team managed to pull it off today. White sox Sux. BOO HOO...Losers. xD

Exactly the kind of class I expect from LA fans.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 20, 2013, 07:41:55 AM
Quote from: Mike D boy on May 20, 2013, 01:03:39 AM

Exactly the kind of class I expect from LA fans.
Okay, okay, stop.

Dougtone

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 09, 2013, 11:35:00 PM
I'm the ultimate case of forgetting how much my team sucked the last 2 months of last year.  Of course they quit on Kermit the Frog er..Bobby V.  John Farrell is a welcome breath of fresh air so far.  Ok, so it's early, but we're 5-2 so far. The expectations are low, but the Sox could surprise.

Mets fans have been clamoring for the return of Bobby V for years now.

triplemultiplex

Gotta give props to Pittsburgh for having a good club this year.  After so much time in the cellar, it's good to see the Pirates making some noise again.  I was a wee lad the last time they were any good.

In the AL, I'm pulling for Detroit again.  I think I've stated before that I'm not bitter about not being able to keep Prince Fielder in Milwaukee.  He was worth more than MKE could afford.  I want him to win it all and since the goddamn Cardinals denied us yet again in 2011, I shall live vicariously via Fielder and the Tigers.

Meanwhile in the basement of the NL Central, there are more problems than solutions.  Ryan Braun has missed a lot of time with a nagging thumb injury (that's only the tip of the injury iceberg), starting pitching continues to get shelled, it seems the entire season may pass without a true first basemen (and everyone who has filled in there can't hit for shit), not many people going yard compared to the last couple years, three runs deficits seem insurmountable this year...  Rickie Weeks; it's really hard to get excited about his recent uptick in performance since he did jack shit for so long.
The one bright spot has been Jean Segura.  The Crew got him last summer from the Angels as part of a trade for Zach Grienke and he is having a break out season.  That man is a baller.  Hopefully Segura and a healthy Ryan Braun can be the centerpiece of this ball club in the next couple seasons.

tchafe1978

It's time for the Brewers to have a fire sale and start rebuilding the farm system. They seriously need some pitching depth. Bring up any prospects who are having a good year in AAA and let them start getting experience. Their only hope for a successful season is to finish ahead of the sCrubs.

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: Dougtone on May 20, 2013, 08:58:48 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 09, 2013, 11:35:00 PM

Mets fans have been clamoring for the return of Bobby V for years now.

Gotta love those sox this year...shame Buchholz went down with an injury he was Cy Young caliber thus far with the way he's been pitching.
Hope everyone is safe!

CentralCAroadgeek

So tonight (July 2) in Cincinnati, Homer Bailey of the Reds pitched a no-hitter against the San Francisco Giants. He was perfect until he gave up a walk to Gregor Blanco in the 7th.

Although I am a Giants fan and am disappointed at not just this game but how bad we've been doing recently, I do tip my cap to Homer Bailey for pitching his second career no-no. I'm sure it's a big accomplishment for any pitcher...

ET21

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on July 02, 2013, 10:43:47 PM
So tonight (July 2) in Cincinnati, Homer Bailey of the Reds pitched a no-hitter against the San Francisco Giants. He was perfect until he gave up a walk to Gregor Blanco in the 7th.

Although I am a Giants fan and am disappointed at not just this game but how bad we've been doing recently, I do tip my cap to Homer Bailey for pitching his second career no-no. I'm sure it's a big accomplishment for any pitcher...

Least you're doing better than the White Sox  :no: I've started watching the Giants because at least they know how to win this season, and it's getting really tiring watching them blow good starting pitching.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: ET21 on July 10, 2013, 11:05:30 PM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on July 02, 2013, 10:43:47 PM

Least you're doing better than the White Sox  :no: I've started watching the Giants because at least they know how to win this season, and it's getting really tiring watching them blow good starting pitching.

"Knowing how to win this season." While I'd hate to be betting against my team, considering how bad we've been doing this summer, the Giants are knowing how to do the exact opposite. All our starters but Bumgarner are struggling, our offense is pretty much asleep, most of out outfielders don't know how to catch a fly ball. To top it all off, we usually have an early deficit due to a big inning by the opposing team. And I'm a Giants fan to say all this!

Does your last statement refer to the Giants or the White Sox?

NWI_Irish96

I think for the White Sox this is simply a lost season.  Get it over with and move on to the next one.  I can't imagine what it would be like to be a fan of a team that has a lost season every year for 100+ years.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 11, 2013, 07:40:32 AM
I think for the White Sox this is simply a lost season.  Get it over with and move on to the next one.  I can't imagine what it would be like to be a fan of a team that has a lost season every year for 100+ years.

Just ask a Cubs fan...no offense but they would know how it is for a team that hasn't won a World Series since 1908.
Hope everyone is safe!

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Roadmaestro95 on July 12, 2013, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 11, 2013, 07:40:32 AM

Just ask a Cubs fan...no offense but they would know how it is for a team that hasn't won a World Series since 1908.

I have a buddy who's an Astros fan.  Basically taking it all in stride in knowing that they're taking the right steps for the future.  I did my time as a Red Sox fan (1984-2004, and I still am), and the ending of 2011 and last year were tough to watch, so much I didn't even watch a game last September knowing the wheels were off.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.