News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: amroad17 on August 09, 2019, 03:31:40 PM
^ MLB needs a team that will draw fans.  The Reds of today will not draw as many fans as the Yankees will.  Now if this was the "Big Red Machine", we would be having a different conversation.

MLB should have scheduled the Cubs against the Yankees for this, however, this will be part of a scheduled series with the White Sox.  I don't believe the Yankees have any scheduled games vs. the Cubs next year.

The Cubs weren't a central team in the movie.  The White Sox were.  If people will only tune in because it's the Cubs then they aren't really baseball fans and don't deserve to see a game like this.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ET21

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 10, 2019, 12:18:03 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on August 09, 2019, 03:31:40 PM
^ MLB needs a team that will draw fans.  The Reds of today will not draw as many fans as the Yankees will.  Now if this was the "Big Red Machine", we would be having a different conversation.

MLB should have scheduled the Cubs against the Yankees for this, however, this will be part of a scheduled series with the White Sox.  I don't believe the Yankees have any scheduled games vs. the Cubs next year.

The Cubs weren't a central team in the movie.  The White Sox were.  If people will only tune in because it's the Cubs then they aren't really baseball fans and don't deserve to see a game like this.

^this
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

cjk374

The New Orleans minor league team....the Baby Cakes...apparently will be moving to Wichita. The story below is an editorial about how local fans hated the name "Baby Cakes" vs the original name "Zephyrs". There is a link in the story about the move to Wichita.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/article_3a716c62-c296-11e9-832a-1ff0fe5730c8.html
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Big John

Christian Yelich to miss the rest of the season with a shattered kneecap/

Alps

Quote from: Big John on September 10, 2019, 11:28:06 PM
well he shouldn't have shattered his kneecap then

tchafe1978

Quote from: Alps on September 10, 2019, 11:55:27 PM

I don't think he intentionally fouled a ball off his knee.

Rothman

Quote from: tchafe1978 on September 11, 2019, 03:23:31 PM
Quote from: Alps on September 10, 2019, 11:55:27 PM

I don't think he intentionally fouled a ball off his knee.
Debatable.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kevinb1994

And the Yanks are the AL East winners for the first time since 2012!

https://nypost.com/2019/09/19/yankees-clinch-first-al-east-title-since-2012-behind-brilliant-masahiro-tanaka/

Seems like getting a AL East clinch two seasons ago has come back to haunt the Yanks, with the recent COVID (not the pandemic we have come to live with at the time I originally posted the above) outbreaks.

GreenLanternCorps

Marty Brennaman is retiring after 46 years of broadcasting the Reds.

I feel old, grew up listening to Marty and Joe...

Henry

For the first time since 2014, the Cubs won't be in the postseason. It's been a great run, and I'm so glad that I was able to see them win the whole thing three years ago and put that stupid Billy Goat Curse to rest, once and for all.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on September 26, 2019, 08:59:21 PM

Marty was the last broadcaster, I grew up with, to be on the air still.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Henry

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on September 27, 2019, 04:03:29 PM
Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on September 26, 2019, 08:59:21 PM

Marty was the last broadcaster, I grew up with, to be on the air still.
At least you were lucky to have had him on the air from childhood to now. It was a sad time for me when Cubs broadcasters Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray died. I often imagine the latter saying his catchphrase HOLY COW!!! THE CUBS WIN THE WORLD SERIES!!! when I think back to how it all ended in 2016.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Desert Man

2019 Major League Baseball postseason. Sadly, the Cubs and Indians (71 years without a world series title) not in the postseason. The Cubs remember their year 2016, comparable to the White Sox crosstown in 2005 and a year earlier the Red Sox, waiting for a whole lifetime to win the world series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtDTqF74nRs

Last world series plays from 1980-2016. The Dodgers lost twice in 2017-18 (not good to look at). The Phillies 1980 (91 years)  and Cubs 2016 (108) were the longest waits in baseball history for their teams to win the world series.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkDMn2ddH9U
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Desert Man on October 01, 2019, 01:21:59 PM
2019 Major League Baseball postseason. Sadly, the Cubs and Indians (71 years without a world series title) not in the postseason.

I'm hard up for feeling sad about the latter not making the post-season.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Desert Man on October 01, 2019, 01:21:59 PM
Last world series plays from 1980-2016. The Dodgers lost twice in 2017-18 (not good to look at). The Phillies 1980 (91 years)  and Cubs 2016 (108) were the longest waits in baseball history for their teams to win the world series.

The first World Series was in 1903, so the Phillies "only" had to wait 77 years, not 91. That is shorter than both White Sox (87 years) and Red Sox (85 years) droughts.

Of all teams that have reached postseason, I'm picking the one who has been the longest since they last won the World Series (or its creation, if they have never won one) to win it, i.e. the Washington Nationals, which has even never been to a World Series at all. I'm pretty sure they (as the Montreal Expos) would have won in 1994 had the season not ended abruptly halfway due to that strike that ultimately caused them to move to Washington.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Verlanka

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 02, 2019, 04:38:15 AM
I'm pretty sure they (as the Montreal Expos) would have won in 1994 had the season not ended abruptly halfway due to that strike that ultimately caused them to move to Washington.
Wait, so the Expos moved because of the strike?

thspfc

Well, the Brewers played 162 games to attempt to make the playoffs. Once they did, it was over in a few hours.
That's baseball.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Verlanka on October 02, 2019, 05:22:03 AM
I'm pretty sure they (as the Montreal Expos) would have won in 1994 had the season not ended abruptly halfway due to that strike that ultimately caused them to move to Washington.

I wouldn't say it was the only reason but it definitely accelerated the decline in interest and attendance.

Alps

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 02, 2019, 09:10:25 AM
Quote from: Verlanka on October 02, 2019, 05:22:03 AM

I wouldn't say it was the only reason but it definitely accelerated the decline in interest and attendance.
-accelerated +caused. That was a passionate city until their best season was taken away and the players were sold off.

NWI_Irish96

16 years since Moneyball was published and Billy Beane still hasn't won a pennant.  Most overrated GM in the history of baseball.

Henry

Since I can't have the Cubs nor the Mariners in the postseason, I'll be rooting for the Dodgers to win their first World Series championship in 31 years. That Kirk Gibson homer from Game 1 of the '88 Fall Classic was my first Dodgers memory since moving to L.A. that year.

jp the roadgeek

Unlike last year where my horse won the race, I really don't care who wins this year, so long as it is not the Yankees.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mark68

I'm in the no Dodgers/no Yankees camp.

I'm actually thinking it'll be Braves/Astros.

I'm proud of the fact that the Dodgers have not won the World Series since 14 years before my team did so. Suck it, Dodger fan!
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Alps

I really don't care who wins this year, so long as it's the Yankees.

Stephane Dumas

I wonder if the song "Gloria" might bring some luck for the Cardinals just like it did for the Blues last Spring? ;)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.