News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Congrats to the Nats on their first pennant!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

US 89

Quote from: kurumi on October 16, 2019, 12:28:20 AM

I will be rooting for the Nats in the World Series no matter who wins the ALCS, but especially if it’s the Yankees. (And before you ask, no, I’m not a Red Sox fan either.)

CNGL-Leudimin

With the Nationals making it to the World Series for the first time ever, the Mariners become the only team to never have reached them.

Like most of you, I'll be rooting for the Nats. The Yankees have too many titles, and the Astros won recently.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

nexus73

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 16, 2019, 07:17:06 AM
With the Nationals making it to the World Series for the first time ever, the Mariners become the only team to never have reached them.

Like most of you, I'll be rooting for the Nats. The Yankees have too many titles, and the Astros won recently.

As was said about the Washington Senators, "First In War, First In Peace and Last In The American League!".  Between them and the USFL's Washington Federals, there are some teams which can never win in certain cities.  At least Seattle set a record for regular season wins.  Washington MLB has been as cursed an enterprise as there is so that would make them the ultimate underdog. 

I'll be rooting for them!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 16, 2019, 07:17:06 AM

Too bad that taste of the Expos tanking their way out of Montreal still lingers.  Suffice to say the Nationals are a long way from all that contraction talk of a decade and a half ago.  At least the Cardinals didn't make it, that would have been boring to see them in the World Series again.

Henry

What a difference 25 years makes! After that disastrous ending to the 1994 season (with a strike that wiped out the entire postseason and World Series), a contraction that nearly ended their existence, a big move across the border and the in-between seasons that ranged from mediocre to downright disappointing, the Expos-turned-Nationals have redeemed themselves in a big way with their first NL pennant. Next, they'll face the monumental task of ending their city's 95-year championship drought, no matter who their opponent is, but if they perform as well as they did against the Cardinals (whom I absolutely despise with a passion), then they have a very good shot at it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on October 16, 2019, 10:19:58 AM
What a difference 25 years makes! After that disastrous ending to the 1994 season (with a strike that wiped out the entire postseason and World Series), a contraction that nearly ended their existence, a big move across the border and the in-between seasons that ranged from mediocre to downright disappointing, the Expos-turned-Nationals have redeemed themselves in a big way with their first NL pennant. Next, they'll face the monumental task of ending their city's 95-year championship drought, no matter who their opponent is, but if they perform as well as they did against the Cardinals (whom I absolutely despise with a passion), then they have a very good shot at it.

The worst thing that probably can happen is the ALCS going long and the Nationals get cold.  The ALCS might have a rain out today, having a long layoff doesn't usually doesn't bode well for maintaining a hot streak. 

triplemultiplex

Josh Hader's choke job in the Wild Card tastes less acrid now.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Alps

I'm rooting for the Expos. Not the Nationals though.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 16, 2019, 11:15:08 AM

The worst thing that probably can happen is the ALCS going long and the Nationals get cold.  The ALCS might have a rain out today, having a long layoff doesn't usually doesn't bode well for maintaining a hot streak. 

The World Series starts on the same day regardless of how long each series goes, unless one of them has more than 2 rainouts.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jp the roadgeek

Absolutely true.  Look at the 07 Rockies who tore through the Division Series and NLCS and sat there while the Red Sox/Indians ALCS went the full 7.  Sox swept the Rockies in the World Series and it wasn't really close (ok, but still better than the Cards effort against the Nats).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

spooky

Quote from: Alps on October 16, 2019, 11:49:19 PM
I'm rooting for the Expos. Not the Nationals though.

Vive Les Expos!

Mark68

Quote from: US 89 on October 16, 2019, 12:32:54 AM

I will be rooting for the Nats in the World Series no matter who wins the ALCS, but especially if it's the Yankees. (And before you ask, no, I'm not a Red Sox fan either.)

As will I.

I think all right-thinking baseball fans who are not in New York or from New York should loathe the Yankees.

:bigass:
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Stephane Dumas

I saw this one in another forum.
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/2019-nlcs-3-st-louis-cardinals-vs-wc1-washington-nationals-wsh-wins-4-0.2696275/page-8#post-165492721  However, I think Bud Selig shouldn't get all the credit, Donald Fehr played a part too. >_<

Alps

Quote from: Mark68 on October 17, 2019, 01:34:59 PM

I will be rooting for the Nats in the World Series no matter who wins the ALCS, but especially if it's the Yankees. (And before you ask, no, I'm not a Red Sox fan either.)

As will I.

I think all right-thinking baseball fans who are not in New York or from New York should loathe the Yankees.

Most of them shouldn't care. I don't care about the Lakers, or Cowboys, or [name popular franchise]. I hate my teams' rivals.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on October 18, 2019, 12:36:26 AM
Quote from: Mark68 on October 17, 2019, 01:34:59 PM

As will I.

Most of them shouldn't care. I don't care about the Lakers, or Cowboys, or [name popular franchise]. I hate my teams' rivals.

When my team isn't involved I usually just root for teams that haven't been a championship series or game in a long time.  Personally I find a lot of the marque teams in sports to be more boring than something I hate. 

Stephane Dumas

kendancy66

There was interesting statistic that revealed that 7 NLCS champions have "swept".  They are only 1 and 6 in the world series.  The only sweep winners are the 1995 Atlanta Braves

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: kendancy66 on October 20, 2019, 08:52:10 PM

There was interesting statistic that revealed that 7 NLCS champions have "swept".  They are only 1 and 6 in the world series.  The only sweep winners are the 1995 Atlanta Braves

They closed out 8-2 against the state of Ohio. (Cincy in the LCS, Cleveland in the World Series)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

NWI_Irish96

The American League has won every World Series in which the Astros have participated.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 21, 2019, 07:48:05 AM
The American League has won every World Series in which the Astros have participated.

LOL

Maybe it'll finally work out for them this time!

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 21, 2019, 07:53:35 AM
LOL

Didn't the Astron won a World Series in 2017 when they moved from the National League to the American League?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 21, 2019, 11:10:53 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 21, 2019, 07:53:35 AM
LOL

Didn't the Astron won a World Series in 2017 when they moved from the National League to the American League?

They did, so the American League is 2-0 in their World Series appearances. 

CNGL-Leudimin

Well, at least the Yankees aren't in the World Series. Regardless of that, since the Astros won recently, I'm still rooting for the Nationals (or as those who got stuck in 2004 say, the Expos) to win it all.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jp the roadgeek

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.