News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark68

I'm rooting for the Expos to beat the Colt .45s.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

hotdogPi

Quote from: Mark68 on October 21, 2019, 04:06:36 PM

Basically a generalization of "the pen is mightier than the sword".
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

nexus73

Quote from: Mark68 on October 21, 2019, 04:06:36 PM

...and in an alternate universe, the Texans are in Dallas while the Titans are in NYC.  Cleveland's got a Super Bowl title courtesy of the Rams too!  They beat the Oilers, who finally did not have to face the Steagles en route to the AFC championship.

Oh, don't forget all the basketball titles from the Land Of 10,000 Lakes...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on October 21, 2019, 03:53:37 PM

Angels aren't in this one. But every time the Red Sox win, a devil gets its horns...

Beltway

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 21, 2019, 03:29:14 PM
Well, at least the Yankees aren't in the World Series.
Yeah, thank goodness, they've been in more than their share in the past.

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 21, 2019, 03:29:14 PM
Regardless of that, since the Astros won recently, I'm still rooting for the Nationals (or as those who got stuck in 2004 say, the Expos) to win it all.
I'll root for the Nationals, after all they are the local team for me.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on October 21, 2019, 10:45:49 PM
Angels aren't in this one. But every time the Red Sox win, a devil gets its horns...
Same goes for the Pats ...

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

My wife is rooting for the Nationals, I kind of find doing so irksome because of the whole Expos debacle.  Both teams have former Tigers starters, so really all I care about is seeing a competitive series. 

kurumi

In the area of nonsense stats (e.g. "How can Tom Brady be the GOAT when he has only won 2 wildcard playoff games in his career!") I wondered if the Yankees had lost more World Serieseses than any other team. Not as of 2017; NYY are 27-13, while LAD are now 6-14. The historical NY teams (Yanks, Dodgers, Giants) are 1-2-3 in WS losses simply because they are also 1-2-3 in WS games played. Collectively: 80 series, 41 wins, 39 losses. (Team #4 with 19 appearances: the Cards at 11-8.)

The Sox have a better W/L percentage (9-4, .692) than the Yankees; but the Pirates (5-2, .714) do even better, and the Blue Jays and Marlins tie for 2-0 each in WS appearances: best record for multiple appearances.

After this November, the only MLB team to have never appeared in the WS: the Seattle Mariners.

(source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Series_champions)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

nexus73

Quote from: kurumi on October 22, 2019, 02:13:41 AM
In the area of nonsense stats (e.g. "How can Tom Brady be the GOAT when he has only won 2 wildcard playoff games in his career!") I wondered if the Yankees had lost more World Serieseses than any other team. Not as of 2017; NYY are 27-13, while LAD are now 6-14. The historical NY teams (Yanks, Dodgers, Giants) are 1-2-3 in WS losses simply because they are also 1-2-3 in WS games played. Collectively: 80 series, 41 wins, 39 losses. (Team #4 with 19 appearances: the Cards at 11-8.)

The Sox have a better W/L percentage (9-4, .692) than the Yankees; but the Pirates (5-2, .714) do even better, and the Blue Jays and Marlins tie for 2-0 each in WS appearances: best record for multiple appearances.

After this November, the only MLB team to have never appeared in the WS: the Seattle Mariners.

(source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Series_champions)

...and of course who holds the record for most regular season wins?  The Mariners...LOL!

Talk about being a stats king!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: kurumi on October 22, 2019, 02:13:41 AM

(source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Series_champions)

Already noted by me when the Nationals qualified for the World Series:
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 16, 2019, 07:17:06 AM
With the Nationals making it to the World Series for the first time ever, the Mariners become the only team to never have reached them.

And fixed link. Don't link to mobile Wikipedia, it doesn't redirect to desktop version when entering from a computer, unlike the other way round.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

What a glorious sports year or so.

Stanley Cup
NCAA Basketball championship
NCAA Lacrosse championship
I don't watch the WNBA, but the Mystics' win was cool
....and NOW THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!

I just wish my dad had made it a few more months to see this!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

It's funny how the away team won all seven games. Anyway, I congratulate the Nationals for their first World Series title, they should have won in 1994 as the Expos had the strike not happened. This also ends a 95 year wait for Washington DC, including 33 years in which it was impossible for the city to celebrate one title as they didn't have a MLB team. Now, I believe all the remaining teams which haven't won a World Series yet will do so in my lifetime. As well as the Indians. I've already seen the Cubs getting it, so why not.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Beltway

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 31, 2019, 05:27:49 AM
It's funny how the away team won all seven games.
First time ever.

Anyway, I congratulate the Nationals for their first World Series title, they should have won in 1994 as the Expos had the strike not happened. This also ends a 95 year wait for Washington DC, including 33 years in which it was impossible for the city to celebrate one title as they didn't have a MLB team. Now, I believe all the remaining teams which haven't won a World Series yet will do so in my lifetime. As well as the Indians. I've already seen the Cubs getting it, so why not.

https://www.mlb.com/news/nationals-world-series-facts-and-figures

Quotes:

The Nationals' 19-31 record was the worst 50-game start of any team to win the World Series. They're only the fifth team to be below .500 through 50 games and win the World Series, and the first since the 2003 Marlins, who started 21-29.

[That helps explain how a 93-win team beat an 106-win team and 107-win team in the postseason, as their last ~120 games were played at the overall win performance of the latter teams]

The Nats join the 1914 Braves as the only teams to win the World Series in a season in which they were at least 12 games below .500 at any point, according to the Elias Sports Bureau.

The Nationals sealed the first championship in the franchise's 51-season history (Expos/Nats), since Montreal debuted as an expansion team in 1969. It's the second championship for a Washington team in Major League history, and the first since the '24 Senators beat the New York Giants in Game 7 at Griffith Stadium.

Just how tough was the Nationals' road? They took down two teams that won 105 or more games to win the title: the 106-win Dodgers and the 107-win Astros. They were only the second team to face two 105-plus-win teams in a single postseason, along with the 1998 Padres, and they're the only ones to beat both of those teams en route to a title.

The Nats went 8-1 on the road this postseason, tying the 1996 Yankees' record for both total postseason road wins in a year and consecutive road wins in a single postseason, which was also eight.

The Nationals made it difficult, losing all three World Series games at Nationals Park. They counteracted that by becoming the first champion to capture each of its World Series wins on the road. Yet they also continued a recent trend of road success in the Fall Classic, making it the sixth straight year that the Series winner has clinched on the road, and the fourth straight World Series Game 7 in which the road team has prevailed.

The Nats are the seventh Wild Card team to win a championship since the Wild Card era began in 1995, but only the second since 2012, when the Wild Card Games debuted. The only other team to advance past that winner-take-all affair to begin the postseason and then go on to win the championship was the '14 Giants.

Game 7 marked the fifth time this October that the Nationals trailed in an elimination game and came back to win, a record for a team in a single postseason.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Max Rockatansky

It's funny how the away team won all seven games. Anyway, I congratulate the Nationals for their first World Series title, they should have won in 1994 as the Expos had the strike not happened. This also ends a 95 year wait for Washington DC, including 33 years in which it was impossible for the city to celebrate one title as they didn't have a MLB team. Now, I believe all the remaining teams which haven't won a World Series yet will do so in my lifetime. As well as the Indians. I've already seen the Cubs getting it, so why not.

I want to say the Mariners are the only team that hasn't been to a World Series.  The only current teams that haven't won a series are; Rays, Rockies, Padres, Mariners, Brewers and the Rangers. 

Henry

From a roadgeek perspective, you have to keep these two things in mind: The number of years it took the Nationals to reach the World Series matches the US route that passes through the heart of the city, and the number of years that had passed since the Senators' only victory matches the Interstate that serves it.

In any case, I'm happy that they won, and after that near-miss by the 1994 Expos and their subsequent downfall, they really deserve it. Hopefully, those former fans in Montreal can put all differences aside and forgive the team that deserted them 15 years ago.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

The first year the Nationals played in DC, the Astros lost the World Series.
The most recent year the Nationals played in DC, the Astros lost the World Series.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

dvferyance

Just insane they were still paying baseball when it was snowing outside. Really can't they at least play the world series earlier in October? This is football season not baseball season.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: dvferyance on October 31, 2019, 12:06:23 PM
Just insane they were still paying baseball when it was snowing outside. Really can't they at least play the world series earlier in October? This is football season not baseball season.

There's really no need for a 162 game season, but the owners and players are never going to give up that money, so you have a season that begins in mid-March or ends in late October.

triplemultiplex

Shortening the season completely changes the dynamic of the league.  Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.  All statistics for the longest running professional sport in America would be invalidated.  Terrible idea to mess with history like that.

So what if it's snowing in some places while the world series is going on? I welcome the day when a World Series game is postponed due to a snowstorm in Minneapolis.  Because it will be hilarious.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 31, 2019, 12:33:30 PM
Shortening the season completely changes the dynamic of the league.  Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint.  All statistics for the longest running professional sport in America would be invalidated.  Terrible idea to mess with history like that.

So what if it's snowing in some places while the world series is going on? I welcome the day when a World Series game is postponed due to a snowstorm in Minneapolis.  Because it will be hilarious.

A 150 game season is still a marathon but cuts out 2 weeks, and as long as PEDs remain illegal, very few season records are breakable anyway.

Rothman

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 31, 2019, 12:39:28 PM

A 150 game season is still a marathon but cuts out 2 weeks, and as long as PEDs remain illegal, very few season records are breakable anyway.
Season length has certainly been changed before.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MNHighwayMan

I welcome the day when a World Series game is postponed due to a snowstorm in Minneapolis.  Because it will be hilarious.

I welcome this too, but for slightly different reasons.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 31, 2019, 12:55:30 PM
I welcome the day when a World Series game is postponed due to a snowstorm in Minneapolis.  Because it will be hilarious.

A snowstorm in the World Series could also happen in Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee and Toronto depending of Mother Nature's mood. ;)

Big John

^^ Milwaukee and Toronto have movable roofs.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 31, 2019, 04:15:05 PM
Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 31, 2019, 12:55:30 PM

A snowstorm in the World Series could also happen in Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Milwaukee and Toronto depending of Mother Nature's mood. ;)

You can certainly add Denver to the list.  And there's always a chance in Boston or New York in late October or early April. It's a good thing the Mets weren't in the 2011 World Series, because if it had gone the full 7 games, Game 7 would have been snowed out by the Snowtober storm (the NL had home field that year).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.