News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Well, at least the White Sox have won two World Series championships in that same timespan (1917 and 2005), so their fans can take comfort in that fact.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CentralCAroadgeek

Just two weeks after the Giants got no-hit by the Homer Bailey and the Reds, the Giants get a no-hitter against the Padres by Tim Lincecum. He threw 148 pitches in a 9-0 game.

ET21

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on July 11, 2013, 01:10:13 AM
Quote from: ET21 on July 10, 2013, 11:05:30 PM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on July 02, 2013, 10:43:47 PM
So tonight (July 2) in Cincinnati, Homer Bailey of the Reds pitched a no-hitter against the San Francisco Giants. He was perfect until he gave up a walk to Gregor Blanco in the 7th.

Although I am a Giants fan and am disappointed at not just this game but how bad we've been doing recently, I do tip my cap to Homer Bailey for pitching his second career no-no. I'm sure it's a big accomplishment for any pitcher...

Least you're doing better than the White Sox  :no: I've started watching the Giants because at least they know how to win this season, and it's getting really tiring watching them blow good starting pitching.

"Knowing how to win this season." While I'd hate to be betting against my team, considering how bad we've been doing this summer, the Giants are knowing how to do the exact opposite. All our starters but Bumgarner are struggling, our offense is pretty much asleep, most of out outfielders don't know how to catch a fly ball. To top it all off, we usually have an early deficit due to a big inning by the opposing team. And I'm a Giants fan to say all this!

Does your last statement refer to the Giants or the White Sox?

Sox but then I watched the Giants. Almost similar boats  :-/
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

triplemultiplex

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

amroad17

Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on July 14, 2013, 01:14:17 AM
Just two weeks after the Giants got no-hit by the Homer Bailey and the Reds, the Giants get a no-hitter against the Padres by Tim Lincecum. He threw 148 pitches in a 9-0 game.
That's a lot of pitches!!!  Probably 25-30 too many.  I hope this doesn't affect him for the next few starts.  Or have something happen to him like Johan Santana after he pitched his no-hitter with the Mets.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: amroad17 on July 27, 2013, 01:02:43 AM
Quote from: CentralCAroadgeek on July 14, 2013, 01:14:17 AM
That's a lot of pitches!!!  Probably 25-30 too many.  I hope this doesn't affect him for the next few starts.  Or have something happen to him like Johan Santana after he pitched his no-hitter with the Mets.
From a post-game interview, Giants manager Bruce Bochy said that Lincy wasn't even feeling tired throughout the game. (It's the weed!) His first start after his no-hitter turned out pretty bad as he got pretty beaten in a 11-0 Reds win.

ET21

Boy did A-Roid get a warm reception tonight?  :clap: :clap:

Clinched:

AsphaltPlanet

^ Yeah, that was fantastic.  It's a shame the Yankees started him (another reason to hate the Yankees), and its a shame he got a hit.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadmaestro95 on July 12, 2013, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 11, 2013, 07:40:32 AM
I think for the White Sox this is simply a lost season.  Get it over with and move on to the next one.  I can't imagine what it would be like to be a fan of a team that has a lost season every year for 100+ years.

Just ask a Cubs fan...no offense but they would know how it is for a team that hasn't won a World Series since 1908.

After the way they treated Steve Bartman, here's hoping they never win another.  Though I'd still take them over the Red Sox.

Henry

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on August 06, 2013, 12:54:42 AM
^ Yeah, that was fantastic.  It's a shame the Yankees started him (another reason to hate the Yankees), and its a shame he got a hit.
But at least the Yankees didn't win!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

I'm no fan of the Yankees, but MLB makes the decisions on suspensions and procedures are negotiated through the players' association, so he's on the Yankees roster right now whether they like it or not, and with the lack of production they've been getting from 3B, there's no way to argue that sitting him is a sound baseball decision, so the union would file a grievance pretty quickly if the Yankees tried it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 06, 2013, 11:59:28 AM

I'm no fan of the Yankees, but MLB makes the decisions on suspensions and procedures are negotiated through the players' association, so he's on the Yankees roster right now whether they like it or not, and with the lack of production they've been getting from 3B, there's no way to argue that sitting him is a sound baseball decision, so the union would file a grievance pretty quickly if the Yankees tried it.
They already tried it with the bruised quad thing. I think their hand was forced. Frankly, he's been better than everyone else on the roster right now. I hope he's gone before I see the game Saturday, but if not, hearty boos coming from my mouth.

corco

These are likely his very last MLB games. He's a massive douche and incredibly unlikable, but steroids or not he was still one of the great ones and he should be able to get some closure, as he's hopefully getting right now.

amroad17

First, we had the "butt fumble."  Now, we have the "butt slide."

In a game between the Cincinnati Reds and the Houston Astros, a batter from Houston slapped a single to left center where Shin-Soo Choo cut it off and threw to second base when he saw the batter try to stretch it into a double.  Brandon Phillips took the throw and without turning around put his glove in front of the base between his legs.  The Houston batter slid headfirst into the tag at second as well as Phillips' butt facefirst.  It was both impressive and hilarious to see!

The Reds won 10-0, giving the Astros their 100th loss of the season.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Alps

triplemultiplex

Let's embed the butt tag for our enjoyment.

akotchi

Quote from: corco on August 07, 2013, 12:58:50 AM
These are likely his very last MLB games. He's a massive douche and incredibly unlikable, but steroids or not he was still one of the great ones and he should be able to get some closure, as he's hopefully getting right now.

Sorry to bump this, but does anyone know when his appeal will be heard?  I am surprised it has been delayed enough to let him play basically the rest of the season.  It makes the announcement and severity of the punishment almost a joke if it is not adjudicated and enforced on a timely basis.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: akotchi on September 23, 2013, 12:56:56 PM
Sorry to bump this, but does anyone know when his appeal will be heard?  I am surprised it has been delayed enough to let him play basically the rest of the season.  It makes the announcement and severity of the punishment almost a joke if it is not adjudicated and enforced on a timely basis.

In the off season.

They rule against A-Rod and he will promptly retire.

This weekend will be the last time you see Alex Rodriguez play Major League Baseball.

Alps

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 26, 2013, 12:49:21 AM
Quote from: akotchi on September 23, 2013, 12:56:56 PM

In the off season.

This weekend will be the last time you see Alex Rodriguez play Major League Baseball.
:clap:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 26, 2013, 12:49:21 AM
In the off season.

Good riddance if MLB makes that 211-game suspension stick.

N.Y. Times: In Fight for Legacy, Rodriguez Fields Costly Team of All-Stars

QuoteWith Alex Rodriguez, everything is always outsize, from his $275 million contract, to his gaudy home run totals, to the vitriol he faces at nearly every major league baseball stadium.

QuoteSo it is fitting that as he prepares to appeal his 211-game suspension – baseball's longest doping punishment – he has a supersize team of advisers to counsel him in a showdown that could define, or destroy, his legacy.

QuoteThe case carries considerable weight for both sides. A lengthy suspension could cost Rodriguez roughly $32 million in lost salary, and perhaps end his career. Major League Baseball sees the suspension as a symbol of its efforts to fight doping, which has ensnared many of the sport's biggest names in recent years.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Henry

When was the last time that both Chicago teams finished in last place? It looks like it's happening this year :(

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Henry on September 26, 2013, 02:40:30 PM
When was the last time that both Chicago teams finished in last place? It looks like it's happening this year :(
So it wasn't all bad news this season!   :-D

I kid, I kid.
I enjoy being rivaled against Chicago teams.  It makes sports more fun.

NWI_Irish96

Probably whatever year the White Sox last finished in last place.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ET21

This actually might be the first time. A quick search came up with nothing.

Both teams deserved it, especially the Sox. They gave up back in May and never looked to right the ship. Haven't watched a single game since the April Blue Jays series. I was extremely happy when the Hawks won the Cup and now the Bears (3-0) ND (3-1) and NIU (3-0) are having good starts to the season, because no one in this city have not cared about baseball since the last Crosstown series.

Clinched:

Henry

Quote from: ET21 on September 27, 2013, 11:44:24 AM

This actually might be the first time. A quick search came up with nothing.

Both teams deserved it, especially the Sox. They gave up back in May and never looked to right the ship. Haven't watched a single game since the April Blue Jays series. I was extremely happy when the Hawks won the Cup and now the Bears (3-0) ND (3-1) and NIU (3-0) are having good starts to the season, because no one in this city have not cared about baseball since the last Crosstown series.
The fact that it's an unprecedented event just makes it even worse! At least the Sox fans can share my pain (as well as that of my fellow Cubs fans).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.