News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

The White Sox also almost moved to Tampa. I think that the Giants also almost moved there.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: amroad17 on May 20, 2020, 01:38:26 AM
.... Or, Denver could have mirrored St. Louis and named both teams the Rockies. ....

St. Louis didn't "name" the football Cardinals. They had already been named that for many years (pre-dating the NFL itself) when they moved to St. Louis from Chicago in 1960. They didn't change their name when they moved and the baseball team chose not to object to that.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2020, 10:50:14 AM
The White Sox also almost moved to Tampa. I think that the Giants also almost moved there.
I remember hearing about the White Sox relocation plans before the New Comiskey Park saved them. Had the Tampa plan gone through, I would not have been the least bit surprised, seeing that Chicago has only one team in each of the other three pro leagues (Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks); however, it would've done a great disservice to the Second City in the way that having no NL baseball for four years in New York did for that city, and it doesn't matter if the Cubs and Yankees are the more prominent teams in their respective cities.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

SEWIGuy

Despite the Cubs having a larger fan-base, the White Sox have a pretty huge following.  And weren't they the more popular team prior to the Cubs being owned by the Tribune and having all of their games broadcast on WGN?

The White Sox played a few home games in Milwaukee in the 60s to both show that Milwaukee was still a viable alternative as a baseball city, and because they drew pretty large crowds. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 20, 2020, 12:18:19 PM
Despite the Cubs having a larger fan-base, the White Sox have a pretty huge following.  And weren't they the more popular team prior to the Cubs being owned by the Tribune and having all of their games broadcast on WGN?

The White Sox played a few home games in Milwaukee in the 60s to both show that Milwaukee was still a viable alternative as a baseball city, and because they drew pretty large crowds. 

Historically, the popularity of both teams ebbed and flowed. In 1982, the Sox moved a good chunk of their schedule to a pay TV sports station. By 1984, the Cubs were the more popular team and never looked back.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 20, 2020, 12:27:18 PM

Historically, the popularity of both teams ebbed and flowed. In 1982, the Sox moved a good chunk of their schedule to a pay TV sports station. By 1984, the Cubs were the more popular team and never looked back.
Sports teams really suffer when they don't make their games readily available. See Blackhawks.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2020, 01:22:27 PM

Sports teams really suffer when they don't make their games readily available. See Blackhawks.

That is a fairly recent phenominon.  When I was growing up, the local television only showed Brewer games when they were on the road.  MAYBE once or twice a year they would broadcast a home game.  When they had a nationally televised home game on the weekend, it was a big deal.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 20, 2020, 01:51:08 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2020, 01:22:27 PM

That is a fairly recent phenominon.  When I was growing up, the local television only showed Brewer games when they were on the road.  MAYBE once or twice a year they would broadcast a home game.  When they had a nationally televised home game on the weekend, it was a big deal.

Yes, but in the case of the Sox, they took something that was widely available and seriously curtailed its availability. That's going to have a much more negative impact than never having had it be widely available.

Bruce

If you have over 3.5 hours of spare time, the John Bois six-part series on Mariners history is a masterpiece.

Full playlist

Alex

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 20, 2020, 10:50:14 AM

There were some efforts to relocate the Giants to Tampa. Those were officially dead in 1993.

amroad17

I have the 1992 Sports Illustrated Year in Review Book, which discussed the potential Giants re-location to the Tampa Bay area.  In the story, it was written that if the Giants did move there that "they would be playing in the God-awful Suncoast Dome" in St. Petersburg.  I still get a kick out of that line.  :D

Oh yeah, remember when MLB was seriously considering contracting.  They were attempting to contract Montreal and Minnesota and going back to 28 teams instead of 30.  Good thing that did not happen--especially for Nationals fans (looking at you 1995hoo).  Although I am a Yankees fan (since 1975), the Nationals are my favorite NL team.  And yes, I am a Redskins fan.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: amroad17 on May 21, 2020, 06:23:38 AM
I have the 1992 Sports Illustrated Year in Review Book, which discussed the potential Giants re-location to the Tampa Bay area.  In the story, it was written that if the Giants did move there that "they would be playing in the God-awful Suncoast Dome" in St. Petersburg.  I still get a kick out of that line.  :D

Oh yeah, remember when MLB was seriously considering contracting.  They were attempting to contract Montreal and Minnesota and going back to 28 teams instead of 30.  Good thing that did not happen--especially for Nationals fans (looking at you 1995hoo).  Although I am a Yankees fan (since 1975), the Nationals are my favorite NL team.  And yes, I am a Redskins fan.
Contracting? Was the league really doing that badly?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 21, 2020, 10:39:18 AM

Yes, post strike baseball was doing terrible.  Big market teams essentially were buying championships and a couple small market clubs came close to going away.  The Twins ended up having some really good teams right around then and managed to get a new stadium.  The Expos went on life support by the MLB and ended up in Washington.  The Expos had a really good thing going in Montreal for awhile but drove all their fans away with constant tanking. 

Like it or not what got people really interested in baseball again was all the home run record chases.  For as much as some of the steroid era players are vilified they did get people watching again.  Post 9/11 there was an all time classic World Series between the Diamondbacks and Yankees which also helped. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 21, 2020, 10:44:11 AM

Yes, post strike baseball was doing terrible.  Big market teams essentially were buying championships and a couple small market clubs came close to going away.  The Twins ended up having some really good teams right around then and managed to get a new stadium.  The Expos went on life support by the MLB and ended up in Washington.  The Expos had a really good thing going in Montreal for awhile but drove all their fans away with constant tanking. 

Like it or not what got people really interested in baseball again was all the home run record chases.  For as much as some of the steroid era players are vilified they did get people watching again.  Post 9/11 there was an all time classic World Series between the Diamondbacks and Yankees which also helped. 

There is still a big market/small market problem. Unlike the NFL, where the league owns and sells the rights to every game, and distributes the money evenly, in baseball the league only owns the rights to the postseason, Sunday night (ESPN) and Saturday afternoon/evening (FOX) games. The rights to the rest of the games are owned and sold by the individual teams. The big market teams make far, far more money in TV revenue than the small market teams. Yes, there are competitive balance draft picks and luxury tax redistributions, but under the current system the Rays are never going to be able to afford the payroll that the Yankees can. MLB needs to completely restructure to centralize the sale of and distribution of revenue from TV rights to all games. This wouldn't necessarily mean that your local team's broadcasts would change, just that the money would be distributed more equitably.

SEWIGuy

The contraction plan was from 2001.  It was a few seasons after the steroid fueled home run chasing and well into the Yankees run, which brought as many fans back to baseball as anything.

It was all about leveraging new stadium deals in Minnesota and Montreal.

1995hoo

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 21, 2020, 10:49:35 AM
There is still a big market/small market problem. Unlike the NFL, where the league owns and sells the rights to every game, and distributes the money evenly, in baseball the league only owns the rights to the postseason, Sunday night (ESPN) and Saturday afternoon/evening (FOX) games. The rights to the rest of the games are owned and sold by the individual teams. The big market teams make far, far more money in TV revenue than the small market teams. Yes, there are competitive balance draft picks and luxury tax redistributions, but under the current system the Rays are never going to be able to afford the payroll that the Yankees can. MLB needs to completely restructure to centralize the sale of and distribution of revenue from TV rights to all games. This wouldn't necessarily mean that your local team's broadcasts would change, just that the money would be distributed more equitably.

To be fair, the NFL is the only major American pro sports league in which the league controls all broadcast rights. The NHL and the NBA teams all have local broadcast deals as well (as was mentioned by someone on this forum recently in connection with the late Blackhawks' owner's intransigence as to local broadcasts of home games). It makes sense to me that centrally-controlled broadcast rights work better for the NFL than for the other leagues due to the differing schedules. NFL teams play far fewer games on fewer nights a week, with most games concentrated on a single day of the week. Baseball teams play almost every day, subject to CBA provisions about how often a team must get a day off. NHL teams play up to four nights a week (the CBA prohibits a team from playing on three consecutive days). I don't know what the NBA rule is, but it's closer to the NHL's scheduling than it is to the NFL's.

Long way of saying, the other three leagues aside from the NFL have way more games to air, so it makes sense for there to be local broadcast deals in a way the NFL does not have nor need. I'd like to see the MLB office take over the streaming rights. Right now there are three teams whose games cannot be streamed in their local broadcast areas unless the customer jumps through some technical hoops to get around MLB.tv blackouts; two of those teams are Baltimore and Washington, this because the owner up in Baltimore controls a majority stake in MASN and is afraid to allow streaming because he knows it'll show his team has far lower viewership than the Nats do. It's a pain in the arse for those of us who have dropped conventional satellite or cable TV and there's no good reason for it other than his attempt to maintain a litigating position.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SEWIGuy

Of course local TV deals make sense.  The question is whether or not the revenue for such deals should be shared in some way.

Max Rockatansky

I agree, that's been probably one of the biggest reasons the NFL took off.  Every team regardless of market has a legitimate chance of fielding a top level team.  A salary cap would help too but it would never get approved by the MLB Players Union. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 21, 2020, 12:17:40 PM

I agree, that's been probably one of the biggest reasons the NFL took off.  Every team regardless of market has a legitimate chance of fielding a top level team.  A salary cap would help too but it would never get approved by the MLB Players Union.
Does the MLB have full revenue sharing?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 21, 2020, 12:17:40 PM

With the increasing amount of club control and luxury tax, those are acting like salary caps in many ways.  Also owners are getting out of the habit of paying for past performance.  Look at the Nationals winning the WS after declining to sign Bryce Harper.

Every current AL team has played in the ALCS since 2000.  All NL teams except the Reds, Padres and Pirates have as well.  So 27/30 teams (90%) have reached the semifinals over the last 20 years.

That's a higher percentage than the NFL and NBA.

ET21

CWS became the popular team from the 05 WS to about 2010 when we finally tanked hardcore into the cellar. The Cubs took over as the more popular team probably about 2013-14ish when you started seeing signs of what they were building. So I'd say from 2013 on it's been a majority Cubs town but you could argue about 2010-12 as well.

But now the fans are getting restless after only one title in 5 years with that core. And as the Sox begin bringing up their own young core, you may see a slight shift or a renewed City Series as both teams compete for the postseason. I miss the late 2000s because the rivalry between north and south was heated as both teams were contending for playoff spots.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ET21 on May 26, 2020, 09:38:41 AM

CWS became the popular team from the 05 WS to about 2010 when we finally tanked hardcore into the cellar. The Cubs took over as the more popular team probably about 2013-14ish when you started seeing signs of what they were building. So I'd say from 2013 on it's been a majority Cubs town but you could argue about 2010-12 as well.

But now the fans are getting restless after only one title in 5 years with that core. And as the Sox begin bringing up their own young core, you may see a slight shift or a renewed City Series as both teams compete for the postseason. I miss the late 2000s because the rivalry between north and south was heated as both teams were contending for playoff spots.

This may be one of those hindsight is 20/20 things, but it was a huge mistake to build the new park in 1991 in the same location. Plenty of people were noting that the South Loop was an area where land was still fairly cheap but was likely to take off soon (which it did).

SEWIGuy

Quote from: ET21 on May 26, 2020, 09:38:41 AM

Really?  I never once thought in the late 2000s that Chicago was turning into a Sox town.  The Cubs still outdrew the Sox attendance wise throughout that entire time, and my guess is that the TV and radio numbers were similar.

SEWIGuy

MLB owners proposal provides an overall cut from the pro-rata salaries that the Union already agreed to, but in a clear attempt to dividde the players, is giving percentage-wise the largest cuts to those players who make the most.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29224973/sources-mlb-proposal-includes-pay-cuts-highest-paid-players

No chance I would agree to this if I were a player.  And if I'm one of the higher paid ones, I'd skip the season if this is approved.

Henry

Here's another sign that we won't have any minor-league baseball this year:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-hundreds-of-minor-leaguers-released-season-in-peril/ar-BB14JiBU?ocid=msedgntp

As much as it hurts having to hear about MLB's ongoing labor war, this is even worse.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.