News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: ET21 on July 24, 2020, 04:06:14 PM
Happy Opening Day everyone, go Sox
Go Cubs Go!

Also, Redbirds suck

Really, I'd be fine watching a Mariners-Bay Rays game right now (yes, I know they won't play in the regular season, due to the Regional scheduling format)

Been a longer than normal wait for the boys of summer to get back on the diamond. 2020, what a year, so far

Roadgeekteen

Yes. Go RED Sox.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 24, 2020, 04:22:47 PM
Yes. Go RED Sox.

Enjoying this 13-2 thumping of the Little Sisters of the Poor, Baltimore Chapter. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

triplemultiplex

I'm surprised the first choice for the Jay's wasn't Buffalo right away.  It's not just proximity; they have a decent stadium and they're already Toronto's AAA affiliate, so that just seems like a good fit.  And there's no juggling of schedules with another MLB team.

After all, Buffalo was one of the cities with their hat in the ring for expansion in the early 90's.  (They might have succeeded if it was 50 years earlier. :P )

It was good to hear Bob Ueker's voice again in play-by-play.  Not the start I wanted, but Hendricks had good shit today.

At least the championship the Dodgers bought this year will have an asterisk because of the tiny season. :-/
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

DandyDan

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 24, 2020, 10:59:52 PM
I'm surprised the first choice for the Jay's wasn't Buffalo right away.  It's not just proximity; they have a decent stadium and they're already Toronto's AAA affiliate, so that just seems like a good fit.  And there's no juggling of schedules with another MLB team.

After all, Buffalo was one of the cities with their hat in the ring for expansion in the early 90's.  (They might have succeeded if it was 50 years earlier. :P )

It was good to hear Bob Ueker's voice again in play-by-play.  Not the start I wanted, but Hendricks had good shit today.

At least the championship the Dodgers bought this year will have an asterisk because of the tiny season. :-/
One thing I read about that is that the lights there are substandard. Not sure why they just couldn't invest in good lights.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 24, 2020, 10:59:52 PM

Buffalo did have their toes in the major leagues earlier with many teams who shared the Bisons name. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Bisons_(disambiguation)  And there was the Bisons Blues in the short-lived Federal League. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_Blues

Takumi

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 24, 2020, 10:27:43 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 24, 2020, 04:22:47 PM
Yes. Go RED Sox.

Enjoying this 13-2 thumping of the Little Sisters of the Poor, Baltimore Chapter. 
One out of three ain't bad :-P
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NWI_Irish96

There were no sweeps in the first weekend. Every team is either 2-1, 2-2, or 1-2. With 56-57 games to go, no team is more than 1 game out of their division lead.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SEWIGuy

There is little chance the season gets completed.  Look what is happening with the Marlins right now.

Henry

At least Fox isn't playing the NFL theme anymore. It never felt right with MLB, and I'm glad the old theme is back.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 27, 2020, 09:58:23 AM
There is little chance the season gets completed.  Look what is happening with the Marlins right now.

If you remember back in March, the cancellation of sporting events was what got the ball rolling that led to statewide stay at home orders. Not impossible that we are headed there again.

Big John

Marlins home postponed tonight.  Yankees/Phillies game tonight also postponed as the visitors clubhouse is infected.

CoreySamson

Ugh. Verlander is already hurt. At least we have McCullers back.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 27, 2020, 03:53:31 PM
Ugh. Verlander is already hurt. At least we have McCullers back.

All that trash can banging is a strain on the arm.

Big John

Tomorrow's Marlins games postponed.  The game at Philly status is unclear.

jmacswimmer

I watched part of SF-LAD on Saturday, and I was very amused/impressed by Dodger Stadium's effort to setup cardboard fans behind home plate and around the stadium.  A home run by the Dodgers towards the end of the game actually nailed a cutout's head in the upper decks :-D

FOX then switched me over to NYY-WSH following that game, and I found myself disappointed that Nationals Park did not make the same effort with cardboard fans.  But hearing Joe Buck's voice again for the first time in months was oddly reassuring, I must say.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Roadgeekteen

Just disband the Marlins and move ahead with 29 teams. Not like they matter.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 27, 2020, 04:14:45 PM
I watched part of SF-LAD on Saturday, and I was very amused/impressed by Dodger Stadium's effort to setup cardboard fans behind home plate and around the stadium.  A home run by the Dodgers towards the end of the game actually nailed a cutout's head in the upper decks :-D

FOX then switched me over to NYY-WSH following that game, and I found myself disappointed that Nationals Park did not make the same effort with cardboard fans.  But hearing Joe Buck's voice again for the first time in months was oddly reassuring, I must say.

Bear in mind one very big difference between those two venues is that Chavez Ravine doesn't get hit with thunderstorms the way the DC area does. Cardboard fans wouldn't last all that long during the peak of summer around here (if you saw last Thursday night's game, you'll understand why).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2020, 11:24:28 AM

There are problems with having an odd number of teams.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: 1 on July 28, 2020, 11:33:26 AM

Seemed to work with the NBA between 1995 and 2004.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 28, 2020, 11:30:47 AM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on July 27, 2020, 04:14:45 PM

Bear in mind one very big difference between those two venues is that Chavez Ravine doesn't get hit with thunderstorms the way the DC area does. Cardboard fans wouldn't last all that long during the peak of summer around here (if you saw last Thursday night's game, you'll understand why).

A fair point I hadn't considered - in fact, the first game I attended at Nationals Park a couple years back wound up being completely rained out!
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2020, 11:34:36 AM

NBA doesn't play six games a week in three game series.

Henry

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 28, 2020, 11:34:36 AM

The NFL had 31 teams from 1999 to 2001, and the NHL has had 31 teams since 2017.

As for the Marlins situation, I can't say I'm surprised. Hopefully, the Rays are being more careful about it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.