News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on October 28, 2020, 10:35:21 AM
It happened again: The Dodgers and Lakers winning championships in the same year (they also did it in 1988). If the Rays had come back and won, wouldn't that have been the first time that a city/metropolitan area had World Series and Stanley Cup champions in the same year?

1928: New York Rangers and Yankees
1933: New York Rangers and Giants
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 28, 2020, 11:33:23 AM
It happened again: The Dodgers and Lakers winning championships in the same year (they also did it in 1988). If the Rays had come back and won, wouldn't that have been the first time that a city/metropolitan area had World Series and Stanley Cup champions in the same year?

If only there wasn't a strike in 1994, who knows if the NY Rangers and Yankees would had been champions in the same year?

And in football, the Red Wings and the Lions had won the Stanley Cup and the NFL championship (pre-Super Bowl era) in the same year in 1952.

Alps

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 28, 2020, 08:11:33 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on October 28, 2020, 11:33:23 AM

If only there wasn't a strike in 1994, who knows if the NY Rangers and Yankees would had been champions in the same year?

And in football, the Red Wings and the Lions had won the Stanley Cup and the NFL championship (pre-Super Bowl era) in the same year in 1952.
Les Expos would have won in the alternate 1994 where they stay in Montréal.

kevinb1994

I am pleased to announce that the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp are now the AAA affiliate of the Miami Marlins (and will play as part of the AAA East).

1995hoo

Cleveland Indians are going to change their name.

No word on whether they're going to become the Cleveland Redskins instead. :bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 13, 2020, 09:32:43 PM

No word on whether they're going to become the Cleveland Redskins instead. :bigass:

How about Red Jays, as an opposition to the Toronto Blue Jays just like the Red Sox and the White Sox?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T02FE0GDn0

ilpt4u

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 13, 2020, 09:32:43 PM

Cleveland River Flames

1995hoo

Saw this riff on Chief Wahoo on another forum:

hotdogPi

Ideas for what they could be if they move into the suburbs:
Parma Hams
Euclid Mathematicians
Avon Cosmetics
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kurumi

As a Spinal Tap fan, I'm favoring a name change to "Hello Cleveland"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jeffandnicole

mgk920

When Cleveland, OH was without an NFL team, Tom Batiuk had an ongoing background setting of the characters in his comic strip Funky Winkerbean (set in suburban NE Ohio) rooting for a fictional NFL team called the 'Cleveland Rockers' and using a stylized image of the R&R HoF as their helmet logo.

Maybe that could be an inspiration.

Mike

CNGL-Leudimin

I would rename them the Cleveland Cubs, since they have now the longest championship drought :evilgrin:. Ironically the Cubs ended theirs against Cleveland.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Takumi

I'll be surprised if they don't change it to the Spiders. Or maybe Cleveland Baseball Team.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

oscar

Quote from: Takumi on December 14, 2020, 04:15:33 PM
I'll be surprised if they don't change it to the Spiders. Or maybe Cleveland Baseball Team.

AIUI, the plan is to keep the Indians name for the 2021 season. That means more time to select a less generic, permanent new name, than the Redskins had for their hasty interim name change.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

ET21

Spiders would be a cool name, plus recognizes the original team
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: ET21 on December 15, 2020, 09:42:55 AM
Spiders would be a cool name, plus recognizes the original team

While we're at it, how about Sockalexis? As a tribute to Louis Sockalexis, a player of the Spiders. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_Sockalexis

They could also use names from others sports like the Barons or using other birds or feline names like Lynx, Falcons, etc...

Scott5114

Quote from: mgk920 on December 14, 2020, 02:51:21 PM
When Cleveland, OH was without an NFL team, Tom Batiuk had an ongoing background setting of the characters in his comic strip Funky Winkerbean ... Maybe that could be an inspiration.

If so, that would mark the first time anyone was inspired, rather than depressed, by Funky Winkerbean.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

triplemultiplex

Quote from: oscar on December 14, 2020, 04:32:51 PM
the plan is to keep the Indians name for the 2021 season. That means more time to select a less generic, permanent new name, than the Redskins had for their hasty interim name change.

They don't have a sexual harassment scandal they are trying to distract attention from?  That's why the 'skins rushed the ignominious change, after all.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Henry

I can see them called the Spiders, but unfortunately, that name has lots of baggage attached to it, thanks to that notoriously historic 1899 season in which they lost 134 games (out of 154). Of course that spelled the end of NL baseball in Cleveland, but their AL successors have done a lot better, with five pennants and two World Series championships (even though they haven't won since 1948).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

triplemultiplex

Spiders ain't gonna work for the simple reason that most people hate spiders.

Lean on the city's status as a port and call 'em the Cleveland Dockers.  They'll have a built-in corporate sponsor.  Free khakis night at the ball park!  It'll be great.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

jeffandnicole

I saw this on someone's Facebook page who I believe is a member here, so apologies for stealing it.

It's a fairly good history of the Fleer Baseball card company, its rise and fall from fame, and some of its disputes with Topps.

https://hiddencityphila.org/2016/02/dubble-bubble-baseball-cards-philadelphias-fleer-legacy/

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 18, 2020, 11:01:40 AM
Spiders ain't gonna work for the simple reason that most people hate spiders.

Lean on the city's status as a port and call 'em the Cleveland Dockers.  They'll have a built-in corporate sponsor.  Free khakis night at the ball park!  It'll be great.

Unless playing on some namegames like Spidey or if Marvel comics don't ask too much for name rights, the Spider-man. ;)

mgk920

With MLB recognizing seven Negro Leagues that played from 1920 through 1948 as full 'Major Leagues' for all purposes, there will be some changes in the record book.  Some of these will be significant as there was some incredible talent that played in those circuits during those years.

A few examples:

- Willy Mays will now be credited with 661 instead of 660 career home runs.  He had 11 base hits, including one home run, during a stint with the Birmingham Black Barons of the Negro American League in 1948.

- Josh Gibson will now hold the record for highest single-season batting average (minimum 3.1 plate appearances/games played by his team in the entire season).  He hit .466 with the Homestead Grays of the Negro National League in 1943.  This is two years after Ted Williams hit .406 with the Boston Red Sox in 1941.  Gibson's record will supplant Hugh Duffy at #1, who hit .440 for the Boston Beaneaters (now Atlanta Braves) in 1894.  Gibson would have dominated all of Baseball as a hitter during his career had he been able to.

- Ted Williams and Babe Ruth will both likely drop out of the top ten in career batting averages.

Mike

1995hoo

^^^^^

The weird thing is that seemingly every stats site I view gives different numbers. From what I understand, that's always been a difficulty with Negro League statistics–they simply weren't maintained as religiously as MLB statistics were at the time and it's therefore hard to reconstruct them. Either way, there's no doubt that by all accounts Josh Gibson was an incredible hitter.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.