News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: LM117 on April 02, 2021, 04:08:26 PM
The All-Star game has been pulled from Atlanta.

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-mlb-statement-regarding-2021-all-star-game
Don't want to get too political but this seems similar to the situation in North Carolina with the bathrooms.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 02, 2021, 04:14:59 PM

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/press-release-mlb-statement-regarding-2021-all-star-game
Don't want to get too political but this seems similar to the situation in North Carolina with the bathrooms.

Just the beginning for Georgia. Atlanta is almost certainly out of the running for consideration for future Super Bowls, Final Fours or any other NCAA championship events. ACC may not allow GaTech to host any championship events.

Biggest question is whether a critical mass of golfers forces the Masters to move. Not this year since it's coming up so soon, but I can see it happening next year if things don't change before then.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Big John

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 02, 2021, 04:20:11 PM

Biggest question is whether a critical mass of golfers forces the Masters to move. Not this year since it's coming up so soon, but I can see it happening next year if things don't change before then.
I don't see the Masters moving under any circumstances.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Big John on April 02, 2021, 04:25:06 PM

Probably not, considering the demographics of golf...

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

I'd argue the venue is *the* Masters. You can play the World Series or Super Bowl in any one of 30 cities, whatever, it still works. The Masters is something you can't.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 02, 2021, 04:33:56 PM
I'd argue the venue is *the* Masters. You can play the World Series or Super Bowl in any one of 30 cities, whatever, it still works. The Masters is something you can't.
Why not? Is Augusta that special?

Henry

Just the beginning for Georgia. Atlanta is almost certainly out of the running for consideration for future Super Bowls, Final Fours or any other NCAA championship events. ACC may not allow GaTech to host any championship events.

And on top of that there are now calls for boycotts of all products made in GA, namely Coca-Cola, Delta Airlines and The Home Depot.

Speaking of which, the Astros' ballpark has the name of a Coke product (Minute Maid) on it. Will this affect them in any way? (because it's the last thing they need, having been scrutinized for their alleged cheating over the past five years)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CoreySamson

Quote from: Henry on April 02, 2021, 08:07:04 PM

And on top of that there are now calls for boycotts of all products made in GA, namely Coca-Cola, Delta Airlines and The Home Depot.

Speaking of which, the Astros' ballpark has the name of a Coke product (Minute Maid) on it. Will this affect them in any way? (because it's the last thing they need, having been scrutinized for their alleged cheating over the past five years)
Wow I thought Coke was already being boycotted by some on the other side of the political spectrum for different reasons. Does this strike anyone else as incredibly silly and spiteful?
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

mgk920

Ahhhhh, The Masters™ is the *property* of the Augusta National Golf Club.  The two are inseparable and the Club can end it whenever they want.  It was created, nurtured and tightly controlled by the ANGC and their membership since the 1930s.

Mike

Alps

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 02, 2021, 10:33:22 PM

Wow I thought Coke was already being boycotted by some on the other side of the political spectrum for different reasons. Does this strike anyone else as incredibly silly and spiteful?
It's not Coke's fault that they're located in Georgia. You want them to up and move because their state passed a law you disagreed with? Yikes.

oscar

Quote from: Big John on April 02, 2021, 04:25:06 PM

I agree, for reasons noted by others. Also, the Augusta National club, which holds the Masters, held fast against boycott efforts in 2003 over its policy (since rescinded) against female members. It canceled TV sponsorships that year, but went forward with the tournament, and with televising the event without sponsors.

The PGA has also announced that it isn't moving its Tour Championship in Atlanta area, scheduled for August, as well as a parallel women's tour event also in Atlanta.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/31191183/pga-tour-responds-georgia-voting-law-not-moving-tour-championship
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

cwf1701

and What about the SEC Playoffs? Could the NCAA or College Football playoff Committee try to pressure Georgia by simply not ranking any SEC team in the top 10 if the SEC Playoffs stay in Atlanta? Consider the possibility of a 13-0 Alabama team not even making the playoffs because they played the championship game in Atlanta, could we see the "Woke" in Alabama rise up against the GA law, and those supporting the GA law boycott the playoffs?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Alps on April 03, 2021, 12:04:07 AM

It's not Coke's fault that they're located in Georgia. You want them to up and move because their state passed a law you disagreed with? Yikes.
The reason why Coke is being boycotted by some is a controversial training video that was leaked out.  I won't divulge the details in this forum.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 04, 2021, 07:59:32 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 03, 2021, 12:04:07 AM

The reason why Coke is being boycotted by some is a controversial training video that was leaked out.  I won't divulge the details in this forum.
I was just going with the general "boycott anything in GA." I'll have to examine that separately.

Big John

The All Star game is now in Colorado.

ET21

Quote from: Big John on April 06, 2021, 12:40:09 PM
The All Star game is now in Colorado.

HR Derby is gonna be fun to watch
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

LM117

Yep, and we know how that story ended...
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Flint1979

The Detroit Tigers are the worst team in baseball and I couldn't be happier.

Henry

And it looks like the Cubs are back to their old losing ways...ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

(We'll always cherish their recent glory years, especially 2016!)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Henry on May 04, 2021, 09:46:11 AM
And it looks like the Cubs are back to their old losing ways...ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

(We'll always cherish their recent glory years, especially 2016!)
Maybe it will be 2124 when they win their next world series.

Henry

The clock is now ticking for the A's: Either they get a new ballpark built in Oakland, or seek to relocate elsewhere, and chances are they'll follow the Raiders to Las Vegas.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on May 12, 2021, 10:16:20 AM
The clock is now ticking for the A's: Either they get a new ballpark built in Oakland, or seek to relocate elsewhere, and chances are they'll follow the Raiders to Las Vegas.

I don't think the A's can succeed in Vegas. I think their best bet is Montreal.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

rawmustard

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 12, 2021, 10:17:15 AM

I don't think Montreal is clamoring for another MLB franchise. If the Aviators (coincidentally Oakland's Triple-A affiliate) draw significant numbers, it's not unreasonable MLB might want to tap that market. If they were to move to Canada and not be horribly misaligned, Vancouver would be a good option.

Alps

Quote from: rawmustard on May 12, 2021, 03:27:01 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 12, 2021, 10:17:15 AM

I don't think Montreal is clamoring for another MLB franchise. If the Aviators (coincidentally Oakland's Triple-A affiliate) draw significant numbers, it's not unreasonable MLB might want to tap that market. If they were to move to Canada and not be horribly misaligned, Vancouver would be a good option.
I suggest this discussion continue in https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=29306.0.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.