News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

The Cleveland Indians just announced their name change to the Cleveland Guardians. With that name, they should play in Los Angeles so they can cross-market with the soccer team: "Come see the Guardians and the Galaxy."

Edited to add: My brother just noted–"Cleveland Space Force!"
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

spooky

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 23, 2021, 09:56:03 AM
The Cleveland Indians just announced their name change to the Cleveland Guardians.

I like it. The announcement video was well done, pushing the blue collar values of the city and the history of the Indians (without naming them as such, of course).

tchafe1978

It's a nice non-offending ambiguous name. But how are they going to make a mascsot for the Guardians?

OCGuy81

Certainly a better name than "Cleveland Baseball Team"

spooky

Quote from: tchafe1978 on July 23, 2021, 10:31:16 AM
It's a nice non-offending ambiguous name. But how are they going to make a mascsot for the Guardians?

You don't need the mascot to match the team name. For a terrible example of this, look to the Red Sox with Wally the Green Monster; for an excellent example of this, look to Philadelphia and the two greatest mascots in sports, neither of which is a Flyer or a Phillie.

Henry

The Cleveland Indians just announced their name change to the Cleveland Guardians. With that name, they should play in Los Angeles so they can cross-market with the soccer team: "Come see the Guardians and the Galaxy."

I can see it now: "Guardians-Angels, live from Anaheim!"

Last time I checked, Drew Carey owned the soccer team in Seattle, but I guess "Come see the Guardians and the Sounders" doesn't feel right at all. But I could get used to the new name, and the soon-to-be ex-Indians should be thankful that they did not revive that infamous 19th century name.

FWIW, the name change was much better executed than that of Washington's NFL franchise (when the hell are they going to select their new nickname anyway?).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

ew not a fan
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Well, they're not in LA, but they certainly could ink a phone sponsorship deal with Samsung.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Flint1979

I think Cleveland's name change is pretty lame and I think the City of Cleveland is pretty lame too.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 23, 2021, 04:23:41 PM
I think the City of Cleveland is pretty lame too.

Well of course I would expect a Michigander to say that. :-D

Guardians is more of a football team name but whatever.  Wasn't that an XFL team?  Or some other failed football league?
Doesn't immediately conjure up images of Cleveland.  But then again, that's true for most team names.  Especially all the birds.
I should search for some logos; see what they went with.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kurumi

The Guardians name is transportation-related:

""˜Guardians' reflects those attributes that define us while drawing on the iconic Guardians of Traffic just outside the ballpark on the Hope Memorial Bridge. It brings to life the pride Clevelanders take in our city, and the way we fight together for all who choose to be part of the Cleveland baseball family. While "˜Indians' will always be a part of our history, our new name will help unify our fans and city as we are all Cleveland Guardians."

https://www.mlb.com/indians/fans/cleteamname/hope-memorial-bridge
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kurumi on July 23, 2021, 05:17:53 PM
The Guardians name is transportation-related:

""˜Guardians' reflects those attributes that define us while drawing on the iconic Guardians of Traffic just outside the ballpark on the Hope Memorial Bridge. It brings to life the pride Clevelanders take in our city, and the way we fight together for all who choose to be part of the Cleveland baseball family. While "˜Indians' will always be a part of our history, our new name will help unify our fans and city as we are all Cleveland Guardians."

https://www.mlb.com/indians/fans/cleteamname/hope-memorial-bridge
Interesting now I kind of like it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

I have to be a fan of the only road named team in MLB but I don't like the name without that context.

Big John

Guardians of the Galaxy  (Groot can be the mascot).

Flint1979

Tigers are losing 4-1 to the Royals. All I've heard from Tigers fans is we're heating up now. Never heard so much excitement for a below average team. I hate the Guardians, Tigers, Royals and Twins equally.

Flint1979

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 23, 2021, 05:15:37 PM
I think the City of Cleveland is pretty lame too.

Well of course I would expect a Michigander to say that. :-D

Guardians is more of a football team name but whatever.  Wasn't that an XFL team?  Or some other failed football league?
Doesn't immediately conjure up images of Cleveland.  But then again, that's true for most team names.  Especially all the birds.
I should search for some logos; see what they went with.
The whole city just creeps me out. I don't even get that feeling in Detroit or Chicago.

Roadgeekteen

Red Sox still on top of the American League

Takumi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 23, 2021, 11:15:31 PM
For now. Nelson Cruz back in the AL East is going to be fun to watch.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Flint1979

Quote from: Takumi on July 23, 2021, 11:18:36 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 23, 2021, 11:15:31 PM
For now. Nelson Cruz back in the AL East is going to be fun to watch.
I hope Tampa Bay wins that division but Nelson Cruz is a White Sox killer.

Flint1979

Plus I'm happy that the Tigers lost now there seven game winning streak is over.

Alps

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 23, 2021, 09:19:40 PM
Tigers are losing 4-1 to the Royals. All I've heard from Tigers fans is we're heating up now. Never heard so much excitement for a below average team. I hate the Guardians, Tigers, Royals and Twins equally.
Good, good. Let the hate flow within you.

Flint1979

Quote from: Alps on July 23, 2021, 11:47:26 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 23, 2021, 09:19:40 PM
Good, good. Let the hate flow within you.
When your team plays the Tigers, Royals, Guardians and Twins 19 times a year you get tired of those teams. I'm also tired of the Cubs series all it does is brings out the worst in both fan bases. But I'm happy with how my team is doing, first place in the AL Central after going over a decade of losing it's nice to see.

CtrlAltDel

I think Cleveland's name change is pretty lame and I think the City of Cleveland is pretty lame too.

So Ian Hunter was wrong, and Cleveland does not, in fact, rock?  :-D
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Alps

Whatever Cleveland does or does not do in the world of rock, this is a baseball thread.

Flint1979

I remember in 2007 the Indians and Yankees were playing in the playoffs and Chip Caray was announcing and Cleveland got a hit and he blurts out CLEVELAND ROCKS. I'm thinking shut up omg. The Caray's weren't the best announcing trio.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.