News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

I hope this thread gets locked before the World Series.

All kidding aside, I'm rooting for the Metsies.

Flint1979

The longest World Series drought for two teams that played in the same World Series is Oakland and Cincinnati in 1990.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 19, 2022, 07:18:01 PM
The longest World Series drought for two teams that played in the same World Series is Oakland and Cincinnati in 1990.
Ouch (I'm more of a Reds fan, though).

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Henry on July 19, 2022, 12:40:17 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on July 18, 2022, 09:27:36 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on July 18, 2022, 08:35:17 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 18, 2022, 05:19:04 PM
Mariners winning the World Series right after this drought would be very Mariners. I don't think it will happen, though.

If the Ms do make it to the postseason, the city is going to go nuts.
They're the only team who has never been to a World Series, so I would love to see them shed that.

I would as well, because it looks like my Royals (again) won't be making the playoffs...
Thirded! I hope the Mariners make at least one World Series trip before I die, so that MLB can stake its claim to being the only sports league with all of its teams having played for a championship.
Sorry for raining on your parade but the new Seattle NHL team, the Krakens haven't won a championship yet.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 20, 2022, 08:42:31 AM
Mariners winning the World Series right after this drought would be very Mariners. I don't think it will happen, though.

They're the only team who has never been to a World Series, so I would love to see them shed that.

I would as well, because it looks like my Royals (again) won't be making the playoffs...
Thirded! I hope the Mariners make at least one World Series trip before I die, so that MLB can stake its claim to being the only sports league with all of its teams having played for a championship.
Sorry for raining on your parade but the new Seattle NHL team, the Krakens haven't won a championship yet.
I don't see how that's relevant. The comparison was between the four sports, not city by city.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

ET21

Very random and not relevant  :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Flint1979

Huh?

Henry

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 20, 2022, 10:32:11 PM

Huh?
Any discussions about the Kraken should be done in the Hockey thread. And they just completed their first season, so they need some time to build a roster that can contend for a title.

Back to the subject at hand: The pennant race starts today, and as it is, the Yankees, Astros, Mets and Dodgers are currently sure bets to get into the postseason, with the other division leaders being the Twins and Brewers. As for the wildcard, the four leaders are the Rays, Mariners, Braves and Padres. But anything can change, so let's see how it all plays out.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

gonealookin

Quote from: Alps on July 17, 2022, 02:08:48 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on July 17, 2022, 01:59:28 PM
I think the Orioles will make it to 2nd in the AL East
As of this writing the entire East is over .500 and we're over 90 games into the season. Has this ever happened this late to a single division for all 5 teams?

The Red Sox have lost their last 3 games by scores of 14-1, 13-2, and tonight (ouch) 28-5.  They are still 48-46 but sure looking like a team that is going to trade away some of their players at the deadline and stagger through August and September to a losing season.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: gonealookin on July 22, 2022, 11:16:20 PM
As of this writing the entire East is over .500 and we're over 90 games into the season. Has this ever happened this late to a single division for all 5 teams?

The Red Sox have lost their last 3 games by scores of 14-1, 13-2, and tonight (ouch) 28-5.  They are still 48-46 but sure looking like a team that is going to trade away some of their players at the deadline and stagger through August and September to a losing season.

Chaim Bloom should get a one way ticket from BOS to OVB after this one. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 22, 2022, 11:58:39 PM

Chaim Bloom should get a one way ticket from BOS to OVB after this one.

We're going to find out just how effective the "Moneyball"  approach really is.

Flint1979

Don't bother me any. I'd love to see them finish in last place.

Flint1979

Quote from: Henry on July 21, 2022, 01:51:35 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 20, 2022, 10:32:11 PM

Huh?
Any discussions about the Kraken should be done in the Hockey thread. And they just completed their first season, so they need some time to build a roster that can contend for a title.

Back to the subject at hand: The pennant race starts today, and as it is, the Yankees, Astros, Mets and Dodgers are currently sure bets to get into the postseason, with the other division leaders being the Twins and Brewers. As for the wildcard, the four leaders are the Rays, Mariners, Braves and Padres. But anything can change, so let's see how it all plays out.
Well the thing is I'm having a hard time figuring out how the Kraken even got brought up. You mentioned that you'd like to see the Mariners play for a championship so you could lay the claim that all 30 MLB teams have played for a championship. I don't see where that has anything to do with the Kraken or the NHL which has more than one team that hasn't played for a championship. Arizona never has, same with the current Winnipeg Jets, Columbus, Minnesota and Seattle so that is 5 so no idea why the Kraken got brought up when the NHL has 5 teams that have never played for a championship and the Mariners are the only MLB team that never has.

TheHighwayMan3561

The Kraken came up because someone commented how the Mariners are the only current MLB team to have never played in the World Series, and if they did MLB would have achieved having all 30 franchises appear which would be a first in the major sports leagues to have all teams appear in the championship round. Someone else then misinterpreted the comment as "MLB is the only sports league that *hasn't* had all teams appear" and tried to refute it by bringing up the Kraken, which is where the confusion started.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

epzik8

I'M TELLING YOU
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Henry

Has Willson Contreras played his last home game at Wrigley Field? Pretty soon, there'll be no more members of the 2016 World Series champions that are still on the team. I blame most of this on the fire sale last year that saw the exits of Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo and Javier Baez. On the upside, I hope they don't go another 108 years until their fourth title, and that no other team goes that long before winning another one. (The clock is ticking, Guardians...)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Flint1979

Quote from: Henry on July 27, 2022, 10:34:00 AM
Has Willson Contreras played his last home game at Wrigley Field? Pretty soon, there'll be no more members of the 2016 World Series champions that are still on the team. I blame most of this on the fire sale last year that saw the exits of Kris Bryant, Anthony Rizzo and Javier Baez. On the upside, I hope they don't go another 108 years until their fourth title, and that no other team goes that long before winning another one. (The clock is ticking, Guardians...)
I have never liked Javier Baez and have always thought he was a hot dog. Anyway Tigers fans say you can have him back because he isn't doing good in Detroit at all. I say don't do that and let the Tigers keep him since I'm not a Tigers fan and a fan of a divisional rival of theirs and a major rival of the Cubs, the White Sox. Not liking Baez really had nothing to do with him being a Cub just I don't like his personality at all.

Big John

The division-leading Brewers just traded Josh Hader in a fire sale.   :crazy:

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Big John on August 01, 2022, 04:54:09 PM
The division-leading Brewers just traded Josh Hader in a fire sale.   :crazy:

As a Brewers fan I'm trying to see the logic.  I get after 2023 Hader is a FA and most likely the Brewers can't afford him.  But then as a team in a pennant chase you would think they'd get something that you could say their current roster as is gets better.  Williams can close but they got nobody that looks like they can help the 2022 club on offense, and the closer they got in return while saved practically the same amount of games as Hader has lost his role even before this trade happened.

I hope the young players work out, but for a team in a win now mode it's gonna be hard to convince fans to really support this trade.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Henry

The trade deadline is tonight at 6. As it is, Willson Contreras is still a Cub, Juan Soto is still a National, and Shohei Ohtani is still an Angel. The big question is, will any of these players be traded to other teams?

74/171FAN

I saw yesterday that Ohtani is definitely staying with the Angels.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Henry

Quote from: Henry on August 02, 2022, 10:13:09 AM
The trade deadline is tonight at 6. As it is, Willson Contreras is still a Cub, Juan Soto is still a National, and Shohei Ohtani is still an Angel. The big question is, will any of these players be traded to other teams?
With less than five hours remaining, Juan Soto and Josh Bell have just been traded to the Padres.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: Henry on August 02, 2022, 01:34:29 PM
Quote from: Henry on August 02, 2022, 10:13:09 AM
With less than five hours remaining, Juan Soto and Josh Bell have just been traded to the Padres.

Add Gallo to Dodgers, Hosmer to Boston, Matt Bush to Brewers, and Jorge Lopez to Twins among other moves last 24 hours
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

hotdogPi

Just an idea: can a team get a bit more for their trade if they trade away someone currently on base (especially third)? If so, does someone replace him, or is the player considered out? I do understand that the player the team receives can't play in that game, as the player lists are decided before the game starts.

More likely is that another team (likely the team they're playing against) makes a higher offer to try to get the player off base.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

KeithE4Phx

Very sad news tonight.  Vin Scully, the greatest play-caller in the history of baseball, died today at age 94.  RIP, Vin.

https://www.foxla.com/news/dodgers-icon-vin-scully-dies-at-94.amp
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.