News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: 1 on August 02, 2022, 03:18:27 PM
Just an idea: can a team get a bit more for their trade if they trade away someone currently on base (especially third)? If so, does someone replace him, or is the player considered out? I do understand that the player the team receives can't play in that game, as the player lists are decided before the game starts.

More likely is that another team (likely the team they're playing against) makes a higher offer to try to get the player off base.

He comes out of the game at the next stoppage after he's traded.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

amroad17

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 02, 2022, 11:34:32 PM
Very sad news tonight.  Vin Scully, the greatest play-caller in the history of baseball, died today at age 94.  RIP, Vin.

https://www.foxla.com/news/dodgers-icon-vin-scully-dies-at-94.amp
I listened to him for many years on the NBC telecasts in the 1970's and 1980's.  His radio calls of Henry Aaron's 715th HR and Kirk Gibson's GW Game 1 HR in the 1988 World Series are the standards for how a radio announcer should call historic moments.  He rarely, if ever, let himself be the focus of the game--he allowed the game to be the focus.

RIP to the greatest baseball announcer in history!!!  :-(  :cheers:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

triplemultiplex

Yeah, RIP to probably the most iconic voice in the history of baseball.

As far as the Brewers trades.  I'm underwhelmed.  Still feels like a team that will lose its first playoff series (assuming they stay on top of the dividsion). Again.

San Diego, though; look out, LA.  They're comin' for you!
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Henry

Quote from: amroad17 on August 02, 2022, 11:56:59 PM
Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 02, 2022, 11:34:32 PM
Very sad news tonight.  Vin Scully, the greatest play-caller in the history of baseball, died today at age 94.  RIP, Vin.

https://www.foxla.com/news/dodgers-icon-vin-scully-dies-at-94.amp
I listened to him for many years on the NBC telecasts in the 1970's and 1980's.  His radio calls of Henry Aaron's 715th HR and Kirk Gibson's GW Game 1 HR in the 1988 World Series are the standards for how a radio announcer should call historic moments.  He rarely, if ever, let himself be the focus of the game--he allowed the game to be the focus.

RIP to the greatest baseball announcer in history!!!  :-(  :cheers:
Of course, as a Cubs fan, I grew up listening to Jack Brickhouse and Harry Caray, but I'll admit that they were no match for Vin Scully, who I adopted as my second home announcer when I moved west. From Brooklyn to Los Angeles, he was a legend, and had many great moments as the longest-tenured announcer for one team. My favorite memory of Scully was when he called Kirk Gibson's walkoff HR in Game 1 of the 1988 World Series, which sparked the Dodgers to the championship that year, and I'm glad he got to see them win it all again 32 years later. Here's to Vin and a life well lived.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

gr8daynegb

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 03, 2022, 12:15:48 PM
Yeah, RIP to probably the most iconic voice in the history of baseball.

As far as the Brewers trades.  I'm underwhelmed.  Still feels like a team that will lose its first playoff series (assuming they stay on top of the dividsion). Again.

San Diego, though; look out, LA.  They're comin' for you!

And Brewers DFA Dinelson Lamet to activate Freddie Peralta.

I get that Lamet was one of the least valuable pieces the Brewers got back in this trade.......but when you trade away a player that is considered maybe the best at his position it's unacceptable/idiotic to be getting back anyone you would be cutting in less than a week.  This isn't gonna help sell that trade any better,
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Henry

So much for Willson Contreras and Ian Happ leaving the Cubs; they're going to ride out the season with the team, and then after that, who knows? I'm glad that I'll be seeing one of the last remaining members of the 2016 World Champions still play in the Friendly Confines amidst an uncertain future.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Ted$8roadFan

The Field of Dreams game is a bit hokey, but as nostalgia it works. MLB has finally gotten something right.

Big John

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on August 11, 2022, 07:50:26 PM
The Field of Dreams game is a bit hokey, but as nostalgia it works. MLB has finally gotten something right.
There won't be a 2023 game: https://news.yahoo.com/mlb-wont-return-field-dreams-194836064.html

Henry

I saw the game last night, and while it wasn't as good as the previous edition, it was still enjoyable in its own way. And my Cubs won too, so that was the perfect ending to a perfect night. Hopefully there'll be more games played at the Field of Dreams in 2024 and beyond.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like to see an MLB game played at the field from The Sandlot. How cool would that be?

Takumi

There are rumors of a game planning to be played at Bosse Field in Evansville, where A League Of Their Own was filmed, in 2024.

Also, the Harry Caray hologram was...interesting.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

triplemultiplex

Tried to watch, but Fox wasn't coming in very good last night at my place.  Damn digital TV.

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: Takumi on August 12, 2022, 12:39:25 PM
Also, the Harry Caray hologram was...interesting.

Creepy was a better word for it.  The description of going to a ballgame should never include the phrase "I see dead people."  As far as I'm concerned, that should have been the final "Field of Dreams" game.  The concept is bad to begin with, and adding Holographic Harry just made matters worse.  I only hope they never do that to Vin.

Holograms just don't work.  I remember commercials for Orville Redenbacher Popcorn and KFC with holograms of Orville and Colonel Sanders that were just too creepy for words.  Same goes for Harry.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

amroad17

Aaron Judge of the New York Yankees hit home run #54 yesterday.  He is one home run ahead of Roger Maris's 1961 pace through 135 games.  He should be the AL MVP as he has been carrying the Yankees for the past two weeks.

The NL MVP race is down to 3 players: Mookie Betts of the Dodgers, Pete Alonso of the Mets, and Paul Goldschmidt of the Cardinals.  I believe Goldschmidt should win--he is currently leading the Majors in batting average at .331 along with 34 HRs and 107 RBIs and St. Louis is in first place in the NL Central at 79-55, 8.5 games ahead of Milwaukee (70-63).

Henry

Albert Pujols (in the final season of his career) is currently at 695 HRs, five short of the number that has only been reached three times (Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds). While I may hate the Cardinals, I still would love to see him retire with at least 700, and there's a pretty good chance that he will.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on September 06, 2022, 10:12:08 AM
Albert Pujols (in the final season of his career) is currently at 695 HRs, five short of the number that has only been reached three times (Babe Ruth, Hank Aaron and Barry Bonds). While I may hate the Cardinals, I still would love to see him retire with at least 700, and there's a pretty good chance that he will.

If he ends up just short, any chance he puts off his retirement and comes back next year, with a handshake agreement with the Cards that he'll retire as soon as he hits 700 and not take up a roster spot the entire season?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Ted$8roadFan

What happened to the Yankees? Minus Judge, they've been falling badly.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 06, 2022, 10:25:36 AM
I begin to wonder if something or someone have jinxed the Yankees? A jinx who have the same effects as the curse of the Bambino.

triplemultiplex

The ghost of George Steinbrenner must me upset about something. :-D

Takumi

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 06, 2022, 12:07:10 PM
I begin to wonder if something or someone have jinxed the Yankees? A jinx who have the same effects as the curse of the Bambino.
The curse of Joey Gallo, maybe

Don't @ me. Seriously.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on September 06, 2022, 10:20:30 AM
Quote from: Henry on September 06, 2022, 10:12:08 AM

If he ends up just short, any chance he puts off his retirement and comes back next year, with a handshake agreement with the Cards that he'll retire as soon as he hits 700 and not take up a roster spot the entire season?

I don't see him returning just for that.  Cardinals are caliber of club(World Series contender) could give small smudge to his legacy.  If he was with Reds or Pirated(for example) that aren't WS serious in next 2-3 years if he had played for them it might be possible

amroad17

Quote from: Takumi on September 06, 2022, 12:28:27 PM
The curse of the injury bug--especially with Giancarlo Stanton.  Anthony Rizzo's back injury isn't helping either.  There is no real protection for Judge, which is why he has been batting leadoff a few times--so he does see some pitches to go after.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: amroad17 on September 06, 2022, 10:01:06 PM
Quote from: Takumi on September 06, 2022, 12:28:27 PM
The curse of the injury bug--especially with Giancarlo Stanton.  Anthony Rizzo's back injury isn't helping either.  There is no real protection for Judge, which is why he has been batting leadoff a few times--so he does see some pitches to go after.

That and when you are chasing history like Judge is many teams are willing to challenge him with fastballs.  Don't hear many bad things with Judge at all from other players and being looked at as a role model(aka having positive reputation) makes many teams not mind if history occurs against them........thinking of old school Tommy Lasorda rejoining if/when they kept Giants from history or titles.

Henry

So here's the latest news:

• The Dodgers are the first to clinch a playoff spot by winning NL West
  • The Blue Jays, Rays and Mariners lead the wild-card race in the AL, while the Braves, Phillies and Padres lead in the NL
  • The Yankees, Guardians, Astros, Mets and Cardinals are the five remaining division leaders as of today
  • Albert Pujols is three away from 700 HRs
  • Aaron Judge is three away from 60 HRs

It'll be exciting to see how the rest of the season plays out, that's for sure.

Stephane Dumas

10 years ago, the Dodgers and the Angels celebrated with the Kings, the Kings first Stanley cup championship at the Dodgers stadium.
https://www.espn.com/blog/los-angeles/hockey/post/_/id/6594/the-stanley-cup-goes-to-dodger-stadium

I know it should have been in the hockey thread but since the celebration was in the Dodgers stadium, it might fit the baseball thread as well. ;)

Takumi

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.