News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

BASE-BALL

Started by corco, October 28, 2011, 12:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corco

Takumi

The page break made that post that much greater.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

cpzilliacus

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Alps

Quote from: corco on December 06, 2013, 11:27:57 AM
ROBINSON CANO
IS OVERPAID FOR HIS PRODUCTION IN 9 YEARS

Thing 342

ARMOURERERIC

OK, AROD predictions for 2014?

corco

Eh, pretty much all players signed to huge deals are not worth it over the full contract term but what is a major league payroll without several million in dead weight? As far as hitting .215 knowing the mariners luck yeah probably.

Roadmaestro95

I think it's funny that Cashman couldn't cash him in but I think Seattle has had enough of not being in the playoffs, they had to make a splash somehow. Something tells me Papelbon will be heading to the Puget Sound too...
And also I am happy about the Grandy Man staying in NYC, but I can't believe that people are comparing him to Jason Bay already...
Could this be the Mets town soon? My die-hard fandom says yes, but my gut still doesn't agree.
Hope everyone is safe!

corco

As a Mariners fan I'm more in shock than anything. It's a big gamble- we were slowly tending a farm of good young players but were probably still 2-3 years from being contenders.

Now that we have Cano, we have to be contenders within a year and then we've got about a three year window before that contract starts to go sour, so we probably are going to need to cash out some of those youngsters this offseason to get some more supporting pieces because the Mariners now even with Cano just aren't playoff caliber- they're a lot closer than they were this morning, but they still have a good distance to go.

Which...is either going to be amazing and we'll finally be back in the playoffs again or we're doomed to irrelevance for another decade.

That said holy fuck we have Robinson Cano

hotdogPi

Don't forget about Jacoby Ellsbury. He switched.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Alps

Quote from: 1 on December 06, 2013, 11:10:47 PM
Don't forget about Jacoby Ellsbury. He switched.
Also overpriced, but not nearly as badly.

... Wait, the Yankees just got Beltran, despite already having five outfielders. What the fuck is going on over there? This is even dumber than Cano's contract. I forfeit 2014.

corco

Wait who are the five? Gardner/Soriano/Beltran and then Ichiro/Wells? That gives you four old guys who need days off and one of them to DH. I think you're perfect with that situation.

74/171FAN

Quote from: corco on December 06, 2013, 11:58:11 PM
Wait who are the five? Gardner/Soriano/Beltran and then Ichiro/Wells? That gives you four old guys who need days off and one of them to DH. I think you're perfect with that situation.

Of course, if A-Rod somehow gets off, that just makes the DH situation even more complicated as he would probably have to DH sometimes.  Jeter will probably end up DHing sometimes too.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

corco

So then you have 7 players for 6 slots, but all of them are old and will need frequent days off- you can't expect any of them but Gardner to play more than 120 games or so. Most likely, one of them gets hurt and that solves that.

jp the roadgeek

So happy to see the Yankees are becoming the official team of AARP, and that every day will be Old Timers' Day.  Judas Ellsbury is injury prone, and Beltran for 3 years when he's 37 is a mistake for them too.  Getting Napoli back was a great move, and AJ is a nice bridge to the prospect catchers in our system.  Not sure if Jackie Bradley Jr. is ready to handle CF every day, so Choo might be an option.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 07, 2013, 10:34:17 PM
So happy to see the Yankees are becoming the official team of AARP, and that every day will be Old Timers' Day.  Judas Ellsbury is injury prone, and Beltran for 3 years when he's 37 is a mistake for them too.  Getting Napoli back was a great move, and AJ is a nice bridge to the prospect catchers in our system.  Not sure if Jackie Bradley Jr. is ready to handle CF every day, so Choo might be an option.
That's a BIG might though...but Boston is probably going to develop the young outfielder in right field, while Victorino will take over center. Besides, the M's & the Rangers are described as the "lead dogs" for Choo...according to the NY Post.
On another note...we all thought the Mets would be done spending after the Grandy Man took his bags across the East River into Flushing...now Bartolo Colon is a Met for 2 years...$20 mil. I get he is a placeholder in the rotation for Harvey next year...but I don't understand the point of spending as much as they did for how long for a 40 YEAR OLD. And he was implicated for steroid use...thus his production will probably not be as good as when he was on the Athletics.
Hope everyone is safe!

corco

HAPPY BASE-BALL DAY.

WOO.

Roadmaestro95

Quote from: corco on March 31, 2014, 02:06:38 PM
HAPPY BASE-BALL DAY.

WOO.
Should seriously be considered a national holiday...I gave up everything today just to watch it on tv
What great priorities I have!
Hope everyone is safe!

Henry

I know I'm one day late, but Wrigley Field celebrated its 100th anniversary with a game against the Diamondbacks, which the Cubs lost 7-5.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Henry on April 24, 2014, 03:58:43 PM
I know I'm one day late, but Wrigley Field celebrated its 100th anniversary with a game against the Diamondbacks, which the Cubs lost 7-5.

It would not have been right if the Cubs had won, would it?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

tchafe1978

Isn't it sad that their last World Series trophy is older than their stadium? Ok, not really...

Thing 342

Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 26, 2014, 10:46:17 PM
Isn't it sad that their last World Series trophy is older than their stadium? Ok, not really...

The last time the Cubs won the series, the Ottoman Empire still existed.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Thing 342 on April 27, 2014, 11:05:56 PM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on April 26, 2014, 10:46:17 PM

The last time the Cubs won the series, the Ottoman Empire still existed.

And the Austro-Hungarian, British, French, and Russian Empires.  I'd include German, but it wasn't much of an empire.  In fact, there had been a state called "Germany" for a total of 37 years.

Poland was not a country, nor were most of the countries we know in Eastern Europe.  One independent country — one — existed in Africa (Ethiopia).

There were 46 states in the Union, and we occupied the Philippines and Cuba (though we were still a few years away from our 19-year occupation of Haiti). 

Something like 2% of the country was electrified.

Stephane Dumas

We'll see next year if the Cubs will win the World Series as "predicted" in Back to the Future II when the Cubs faced Miami in 2015. ;)

ET21

^^ Doubt it, because we still don't have hover boards  :)
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.