News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Washington Capitals and Wizards to move to Virginia?

Started by Ted$8roadFan, December 16, 2023, 06:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmoore952

Quote from: Joseph R P on December 30, 2023, 02:05:30 PM
Quote from: SP Cook on December 26, 2023, 02:23:05 PM
Quote from: Rothman on December 17, 2023, 12:52:07 PM

Quote from: SP Cook on December 17, 2023, 09:58:59 AM
What are the "differences" between someone inside the beltway but in Maryland, from one in Virginia, from one in DC?    As contrasted to Maryland or, yet more so, Virginia outside the beltway?    There is no difference.  All the same sort of people.

Its the same place.  Same type of people.  Same culture. 

Dear heavens, you ask a question and then provide an answer that fits your ignorant view.  What's the point of the rest of us laying out the complex and different social fabrics between not only the states, but the counties and neighborhoods within the DMV (I hate that term, but since it has come into fashion...

The very existance of the term DMV, proves my point.  It is a metro, and, as pointed out, among the most self selected metros in the country.  The "Commanders" are still the DMV's team, followed by DMV people.  Even though they play in MD, and used to play in DC, and someday might play in VA, or, heck Shepherdstown WV, where the Bullets used to train. 

No one is leaving town, and it is one metro, with one sort of people.

Nobody is denying that the sprawl around DC is one metro or that it even shares the same interests in national sports teams and such, but you implied that everybody in the metro is the same. Do you know the similarities and differences between people from College Park, Great Falls, Alexandria, Oxon Hill, and Columbia Heights? Every city, town, CDP, and neighborhood varies in history, income, architecture, food, art, college sports teams, and a bunch of other miscellaneous factors that play big roles in the culture, vibe, experience, and demographics of the various specific corners of the metro. It's ignorant to assume that a close geographic proximity between the sections of a region means they're all the same.

It's like saying "Chicagoland" is all the same. (and FWIW, I only heard that term in the '90s, but I was out there more often, maybe that's more of a local thing?).

Personally, I live in the DC area (moved from Philly area in 2000) but only changed my pro sports allegiances to the Nationals and the Capitals. Didn't switch to the NFL team primarily because of their '80s successes and their subsequent whining in the early 2000s about how it's been so LONG since they won (me being from Philly where it took them 57 years to win anything), and to a slightly lesser extent the recently departed owner. Have not switched to the NBA team since they have more or less sucked for the nearly 25 years I've been here.

There are a lot of people like that around DC. My boss is originally from Columbus Ohio. Others in my immediate work environment are from Korea, Harrisburg PA, Cuba, India, and Buffalo NY.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.