News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on December 22, 2019, 06:53:46 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on December 21, 2019, 09:18:35 PM
Have they changed the league's name to the NEFL yet? As with Super Bowl LIII, if they (New England) make it to LIV in Miami Gardens, I will not watch.

I didn't watch, listen or monitor LIII whatsoever. Didn't fully know the final score until maybe 11:30 ET that night. I stayed off Facebook all night. Didn't receive any messages from my brother (Seattle fan, but despises New England, too).
I'm astonished by people who hate winners. Winning is not a dislikeable trait, yet so many people get salty about constant winners and I don't know why. (I'm not a fan of any NFL team, much less the Patriots.)

For me it's the simple fact that sports dynasties that don't involve my team are boring.  For most part I view almost all the other 31 teams with complete indifference, so why not see something different than the Patriots winning the Super Bowl repeatedly?  The year the Eagles won the Super Bowl with Nick Foles was a hell of an entertaining story at the very least.

jakeroot

Congrats to Cincinnati for their first-round pick.

And congrats to my Dolphins on win 4! As my father said, "even the Dolphins suck at sucking".

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2019, 07:01:30 PM
Have they changed the league's name to the NEFL yet? As with Super Bowl LIII, if they (New England) make it to LIV in Miami Gardens, I will not watch.

I didn't watch, listen or monitor LIII whatsoever. Didn't fully know the final score until maybe 11:30 ET that night. I stayed off Facebook all night. Didn't receive any messages from my brother (Seattle fan, but despises New England, too).
I'm astonished by people who hate winners. Winning is not a dislikeable trait, yet so many people get salty about constant winners and I don't know why. (I'm not a fan of any NFL team, much less the Patriots.)

For me it's the simple fact that sports dynasties that don't involve my team are boring.  For most part I view almost all the other 31 teams with complete indifference, so why not see something different than the Patriots winning the Super Bowl repeatedly?  The year the Eagles won the Super Bowl with Nick Foles was a hell of an entertaining story at the very least.
I agree that it's kind of boring, but it's not something that people should get bent out of shape over.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on December 22, 2019, 07:09:42 PM

I agree that it's kind of boring, but it's not something that people should get bent out of shape over.

I can't really comment on the getting upset thing.  I could see it from the angle of a rival fan base getting sick of a competitor winning all the time.  It probably doesn't help when comes to the Patriots that they have a reputation for spying on other teams and bending the rules whenever given the opportunity.  Granted, probably almost NFL team probably does the same thing if not more. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 22, 2019, 07:06:37 PM

And congrats to my Dolphins on win 4! As my father said, "even the Dolphins suck at sucking".

Who is even the projected first pick after Tua got hurt this year?

Beltway

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2019, 07:17:30 PM
I can't really comment on the getting upset thing.  I could see it from the angle of a rival fan base getting sick of a competitor winning all the time.  It probably doesn't help when comes to the Patriots that they have a reputation for spying on other teams and bending the rules whenever given the opportunity. 
That is the problem, especially their first 3 SB wins where they probably wouldn't have even been there if not for the high-level spying and videotaping of other teams signals.  After those 3 then they had all that playoff and championship game experience that helped them win more titles after that.

I have no issue with perennial winners per se.  I grew up in central Florida in the 1960s when there was no MLB or NFL team within a thousand miles, and the two teams I picked to follow were Green Bay and the NY Yankees.  Very exciting teams loaded with all-stars.

We moved to the D.C. area and then I started "rooting local," for the Washington Redskins.  That meant that I didn't care at all for Dallas, with the "America's Team" hype and so on, but I never really questioned how Dallas won so many games and titles; Tom Landry, Staubach, White, Dorsett and most of the others were class acts.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on December 22, 2019, 07:06:37 PM
They deserve it, after that incredible, odds-defying comeback to force overtime and then lose anyways. That's the way to do it!

QuoteAnd congrats to my Dolphins on win 4! As my father said, "even the Dolphins suck at sucking".
As I believe I already mentioned, I'll be rooting for them to come through big and notch #5 next week!  :)

I personally think that at least a sprinkling of wins is a good thing, for any team. Losing is just... not fun... and must be terrible to endure as a player, regardless of the long term implications.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on December 22, 2019, 09:09:51 PM
I personally think that at least a sprinkling of wins is a good thing, for any team. Losing is just... not fun... and must be terrible to endure as a player, regardless of the long term implications.

This is what keeps me from being completely suicidal. For a player to end 2-14, 1-15, or worse...that's just miserable. I can't blame them for wanting to win at least a few games. Winless seasons are not a good thing to have on a record.

webny99

I wouldn't call it hate. It's more like frustration, because they keep on winning when luck, and logic, and reason, and all other indicators tell you they are LONG overdue for a big serving of losses. And every time they win, someone else loses, to the point where it's not even remotely fair to the other team's players and fans, especially their AFC East division rivals. It's just straight up been too lopsided for too long, especially for a professional sport.

Additionally, rooting for a team through good times AND bad builds up a special and meaningful relationship. Yet in the case of the Pats, most "fans" have never had to sweat out a tough season or prove their loyalty, and being a fan has never cost them anything, which very much calls their legitimacy into question. So you can see why continued success/dominance can be seen as lame/boring, and also frustrating for fans of other teams.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on December 22, 2019, 10:06:58 PM
I wouldn't call it hate. It's more like frustration, because they keep on winning when luck, and logic, and reason, and all other indicators tell you they are LONG overdue for a big serving of losses. And every time they win, someone else loses, to the point where it's not even remotely fair to the other team's players and fans, especially their AFC East division rivals. It's just straight up been too lopsided for too long, especially for a professional sport.

Ignoring the fan aspect, you can't hate good coaching and good ball-playing. I know that sounds like something a Pat's fan would say, but it's true. Belichick is one of the greatest coaches of all time, and Brady is one of the best QB's of all time. It's frustrating to see the same thing over and over again, but it's not luck that's putting them in those situations; it's good training, and skill. That's it. Even when banned from four games, Brady went back and won the SB. That's amazing on any level.

If other teams want to take the Pats down, they need to get their own sixth-round pick, and an incredible coach. It's that easy (or wait, maybe it's not?). Besides, who wants to claim they won a Superbowl just because Brady & Co had a bad year?

MNHighwayMan

I'm astonished by people who hate winners. Winning is not a dislikeable trait, yet so many people get salty about constant winners and I don't know why.

Because, quite frankly, it's boring and uninteresting if the same team is likely to win every year. What's the point of watching if you know who the winner is?

Plus, Pats fans, more often than not, are smug, and I can't wait for the team to finally crash and burn and for those fans to suffer.

Beltway

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on December 23, 2019, 05:05:04 AM
Because, quite frankly, it's boring and uninteresting if the same team is likely to win every year. What's the point of watching if you know who the winner is?
Plus, Pats fans, more often than not, are smug, and I can't wait for the team to finally crash and burn and for those fans to suffer.
When are the Bills and the Fish and the Jits ever going to provide decent competition again?

It starts in that division.  It's been what 10 years since any of them has won the division?
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

thspfc

Quote from: Beltway on December 23, 2019, 06:44:45 AM
When are the Bills and the Fish and the Jits ever going to provide decent competition again?

It starts in that division.  It's been what 10 years since any of them has won the division?
The Bills are going to be kings of the division once Brady retires. The Pats' last real competition in the AFC was Peyton Manning's Broncos, who beat them in the playoffs in 2013 and 2015.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on December 23, 2019, 08:35:05 AM

The Bills are going to be kings of the division once Brady retires. The Pats' last real competition in the AFC was Peyton Manning's Broncos, who beat them in the playoffs in 2013 and 2015.

Josh Allen has some maturing to do before that's a certainty.  That defense is really what keeps the Bills going this year.  Josh Allen has been good at not really turning the ball over but he's probably going to get hurt if he keeps trying to move with the ball like he does. 

Henry

By comparison, while it took the Patriots 17 years to win their six Super Bowl rings (first in 2002, last in 2019), it took the Steelers 34 years to get theirs (first in 1975, last in 2009). So the Pats did it in exactly half the time!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

LM117

I'm astonished by people who hate winners. Winning is not a dislikeable trait, yet so many people get salty about constant winners and I don't know why.

Say it louder for those in the back! :clap:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Rothman

Quote from: LM117 on December 23, 2019, 11:05:35 AM

Say it louder for those in the back! :clap:

Heh.  Fans of any dominant team get smug.

I don't think the Pats will "crash and burn" as much as just fade as all dominant teams eventually do.  And, it will be expected as Brady and Belichick inevitably retire, as opposed to having a team not meet expectations (i.e., not really a "crash and burn").

And, although I intellectually know today's teams are not the teams of yore, can't help but think that it would be fun to see the Bills lose more Super Bowls. :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 22, 2019, 07:17:30 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 22, 2019, 07:09:42 PM

For me it’s the simple fact that sports dynasties that don’t involve my team are boring.  For most part I view almost all the other 31 teams with complete indifference, so why not see something different than the Patriots winning the Super Bowl repeatedly?  The year the Eagles won the Super Bowl with Nick Foles was a hell of an entertaining story at the very least.

I can’t really comment on the getting upset thing.  I could see it from the angle of a rival fan base getting sick of a competitor winning all the time.  It probably doesn’t help when comes to the Patriots that they have a reputation for spying on other teams and bending the rules whenever given the opportunity.  Granted, probably almost NFL team probably does the same thing if not more. 

This has a lot to do with it. People may hate the Yankees for winning so much and an owner who gladly paid the penalty for going over the salary cap.  People hated the Cowboys when they won several Superbowls in rapid succession (although many of their fans, and even the players, weren't even alive the last time they won their Superbowls).  The Pats not only did it with so many dark clouds over their heads, the rest of the city started winning too during the same time period.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: Rothman on December 23, 2019, 11:12:35 AM

And, although I intellectually know today's teams are not the teams of yore, can't help but think that it would be fun to see the Bills lose more Super Bowls. :D

It would be more fun to see the Bills winning one Super Bowl championship just like how the Capitals and the Blues had won a Stanley Cup championship. ;)

webny99

Yep, the Pats won their 11th consecutive title on Saturday.
The '08 Dolphins are the only non-Pats winner since 200...EDIT:2

I am NOT making any predictions for next year, because I'll end up kicking myself if I do.
But, 11 consecutive titles? Enough is enough.

Oh, come on, the Bills are the only true NY team, after all.  :pan:
I CAN'T refrain from making a prediction here: the next time the Bills make a Super Bowl, they will absolutely win.

nexus73

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2019, 03:47:08 PM

Yep, the Pats won their 11th consecutive title on Saturday.
The '08 Dolphins are the only non-Pats winner since 2001.

I am NOT making any predictions for next year, because I'll end up kicking myself if I do.
But, 11 consecutive titles? Enough is enough.

Oh, come on, the Bills are the only true NY team, after all.  :pan:
I CAN'T refrain from making a prediction here: the next time the Bills make a Super Bowl, they will absolutely win.

Buffalo vs Minnesota to settle who is the worst (in record) Super Bowl team of all time!  Hey, it could happen this season!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Buck87

Also the 2002 Jets.

Patriots have 2001, 2003-2007, 2009-2019 in the Belichick/Brady era.

ilpt4u

Quote from: nexus73 on December 23, 2019, 05:45:50 PM
Buffalo vs Minnesota to settle who is the worst (in record) Super Bowl team of all time!  Hey, it could happen this season!

Rick
Need a Rules Adjustment, that Super Bowls CAN end in a Tie, following Regular Season Overtime Rules.

The Lombardi is not awarded in a Tie Super Bowl. The Halas and Hunt Trophies become de facto Co-Championship Trophies

Once that happens, the inevitable Tie Super Bowl that would occur between Buffalo and Minnesota can be played

webny99

Quote from: Buck87 on December 23, 2019, 08:13:03 PM
Also the 2002 Jets.

Whoops. You're right. Fixed.

Quote from: nexus73 on December 23, 2019, 05:45:50 PM

Sure could, and the Bills would no doubt lose on a missed field goal in triple overtime.
And that's not even the craziest thing that could happen - a .500 Cowboys vs .500 Raiders Super Bowl is still on the table too!  :-D

Alps

When the commissioner of the NFL is partying with the family of the owner of one of the teams, do you really expect the other teams in that divison to ever win?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.