Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvferyance

Quote from: ET21 on January 13, 2020, 08:47:58 AM
49ers/Chiefs SB  :popcorn:
That would be good hopefully it will be anyone but the Packers winning it Aaron Rodgers already has a super bowl ring. The other 3 qbs don't.

nexus73

Quote from: dvferyance on January 14, 2020, 11:47:55 PM
That would be good hopefully it will be anyone but the Packers winning it Aaron Rodgers already has a super bowl ring. The other 3 qbs don't.

Hmmm, for a football fan with no dog in the fight, that fan could use your idea to get excited!  It would be neat to see a new QB grab the ring and maybe the MVP as well. 

Since I am West Coast with family SF ties going back to 1912 (maternal grandma in Oakland) and 1932 (mother born in SF) plus having watched them for decades along with the Raiders, means I am pulling for the Niners on the NFC side.  However I would love to see the Titans win and become the ultimate underdog SB winner.  Beating four division champs as the road team and the #6 seed would go down as a very special bit of history. 

At least those pro teams don't have to face LSU right now...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

DaBigE

While I think the 49ers will win the NFC, a big part of me really wants the Packers to win it all just to piss off the haters.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: nexus73 on January 15, 2020, 01:17:35 AM

Hmmm, for a football fan with no dog in the fight, that fan could use your idea to get excited!  It would be neat to see a new QB grab the ring and maybe the MVP as well. 

Since I am West Coast with family SF ties going back to 1912 (maternal grandma in Oakland) and 1932 (mother born in SF) plus having watched them for decades along with the Raiders, means I am pulling for the Niners on the NFC side.  However I would love to see the Titans win and become the ultimate underdog SB winner.  Beating four division champs as the road team and the #6 seed would go down as a very special bit of history. 

Rick

Even the best college teams still couldn't beat the worst NFL teams.  NFL teams are filled with the best college players, even when those teams are completely awful.  There is no comparison between the speed of an NFL team and a NCAA team. 

nexus73

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 15, 2020, 09:12:40 AM

Rick

Even the best college teams still couldn’t beat the worst NFL teams.  NFL teams are filled with the best college players, even when those teams are completely awful.  There is no comparison between the speed of an NFL team and a NCAA team. 

I....KNOW...THAT....!!!!

Thus the "LOL".  Get a sense of humor Max.  Maybe you can find one at 7-Eleven.  I think they are next to the beer!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

hotdogPi

Quote from: nexus73 on January 15, 2020, 09:33:02 AM

Rick

Even the best college teams still couldn't beat the worst NFL teams.  NFL teams are filled with the best college players, even when those teams are completely awful.  There is no comparison between the speed of an NFL team and a NCAA team. 

I....KNOW...THAT....!!!!

Thus the "LOL".  Get a sense of humor Max.  Maybe you can find one at 7-Eleven.  I think they are next to the beer!

Rick

You put "LOL" at the end of so many of your posts that it doesn't mean anything anymore.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

nexus73

Quote from: 1 on January 15, 2020, 09:34:05 AM

Rick

Even the best college teams still couldn’t beat the worst NFL teams.  NFL teams are filled with the best college players, even when those teams are completely awful.  There is no comparison between the speed of an NFL team and a NCAA team. 

I....KNOW...THAT....!!!!

Rick

You put "LOL" at the end of so many of your posts that it doesn't mean anything anymore.

It not meaning anything to you is YOUR problem buddy! 

Rick

webny99

Quote from: DaBigE on January 15, 2020, 01:20:30 AM
While I think the 49ers will win the NFC, a big part of me really wants the Packers to win it all just to piss off the haters.

I have nothing against the Packers, but it's painstakingly obvious that they don't belong in the championship. They are profoundly mediocre, and have been all season. The Saints, Ravens, and even the Patriots, among others, are much more deserving of a spot in the championship.

oscar

Quote from: LM117 on January 15, 2020, 10:32:05 AM
Panthers linebacker Luke Kuechly has thrown in the towel...

https://www.panthers.com/news/luke-kuechly-announces-retirement

Sorry to see him go. But not surprising, with the string of increasingly debilitating concussions he's suffered during his NFL career. More likely that he retired a little too late, rather than too early.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: webny99 on January 15, 2020, 05:20:23 PM

I have nothing against the Packers, but it's painstakingly obvious that they don't belong in the championship. They are profoundly mediocre, and have been all season. The Saints, Ravens, and even the Patriots, among others, are much more deserving of a spot in the championship.

Yet they controlled most of the game with Seattle and managed to win 13 games. 

DaBigE

Quote from: webny99 on January 15, 2020, 05:20:23 PM

While some of their play on the field may be mediocre (dare anyone to say that to the faces of the Smith "brothers"), a truly mediocre team would have found ways to lose more games, at least IMO. Every game needs to be a blowout for a team to be a legit contender?

webny99

Certainly I don't think every game needs to be a blowout in order for a team to be a contender. But, the Packers don't really have any blowout wins over the course of 17 games, and they have managed to win 13 of them while not really being dominant or looking like a true top tier team in any of them. Again, that's not saying they're bad, just that they lucked their way into the 2 seed and aren't very deserving of being in the championship, especially over the Saints. The other 3 championship teams have accomplished plenty this season - and in the playoffs - to prove why they deserve a shot at the Super Bowl, and the Packers simply have not (IMO).

mgk920

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 15, 2020, 07:58:09 PM
Certainly I don't think every game needs to be a blowout in order for a team to be a contender. But, the Packers don't really have any blowout wins over the course of 17 games, and they have managed to win 13 of them while not really being dominant or looking like a true top tier team in any of them. Again, that's not saying they're bad, just that they lucked their way into the 2 seed and aren't very deserving of being in the championship, especially over the Saints. The other 3 championship teams have accomplished plenty this season - and in the playoffs - to prove why they deserve a shot at the Super Bowl, and the Packers simply have not (IMO).
So, in essence, you're saying that a 9-7 team is better than a 13-3 team. Not hating on the Titans, but that's ridiculous. It's as if winning 13 close games counts for less than winning 9 games (no matter if they were close or not), while also losing 7 games.
I know what you're going to say next: "The Packers got blown out by the only good team they played." Well, the Packers also have a 7-2 record against teams .500 or better. The Titans? 4-3. The Saints? 5-3, and one of those was at home in the playoffs (against a team that GB beat twice.) I'm sorry, but don't make that argument. I'll eat my words if Tennessee beats the Chiefs, but I don't think that will happen.

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on January 15, 2020, 07:58:09 PM
Yawn. They're 14-3 and in the NFC Championship. That means they are good.

Beltway

Quote from: Alps on January 15, 2020, 09:07:01 PM
The 14-2 Baltimore Ravens were the #1 seed in the AFC and had a first round bye and they couldn't beat a 9-7 #6 seed wildcard and in Baltimore.

Of course there have been at least two 15-1 teams that flamed out before getting to a conference championship game. :-(
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

webny99

Record isn't everything, for a multitude of reasons, three of the big ones being: (1) strength of schedule, (2) luck in close games, and (3) in-season adjustments. I don't think it's bold at all to say the Titans are currently a better team than the Packers. 538.com's Elo prediction model agrees!

Sure, no doubt the Packers had the better season, but the Titans wasted the first half of theirs and have been on fire ever since. In the past two weeks, they've easily proved they have the higher upside, even if they've been less consistent.

Quote from: Alps on January 15, 2020, 09:07:01 PM
Indeed. I am yawning about the Pack... a contrast to my feelings about the other 3 contenders :D

Quote from: Beltway on January 15, 2020, 09:10:19 PM
Of course there have been at least two 15-1 teams that flamed out before getting to a conference championship game. :-(
And don't forget the 18-0 team that lost the Super Bowl.

DaBigE

Quote from: webny99 on January 15, 2020, 09:44:54 PM
Record isn't everything, for a multitude of reasons, three of the big ones being: (1) strength of schedule, (2) luck in close games, and (3) in-season adjustments. I don't think it's bold at all to say the Titans are currently a better team than the Packers. 538.com's Elo prediction model agrees!

Strength of schedule? When did the NFL turn into the FBS? One of the things I've heard said time and time again, was how any NFL team has the chance of beating any other team on any given Sunday (or Monday or Thursday...). Until something major changes, the record is everything in the end. What you call luck, others will call coaching skill or great defense. And what the hell does "in-season adjustments" even mean? Next you'll want to throw in factors of weather, dome vs open air stadium, or who's on the IR (and if that's the case, the Packers and a few other teams are due a ton of retroactive credit for massive IR lists from seasons past).

In the end, IMO, if the Packers are so bad, I think the 49ers would have been a hell of a lot cockier in their past few press quotes.

Beltway

Quote from: Beltway on January 15, 2020, 09:10:19 PM
And don't forget the 18-0 team that lost the Super Bowl.
The Giants were the #6 seed and 10-6 but were certainly hot at the latter part of the season and in the playoffs, winning 3 playoff games on the road.  Anyone who can go into Green Bay in January and win a playoff game is to be feared!

Won Wild Card Playoffs (Buccaneers) 24—14
Won Divisional Playoffs (Cowboys) 21—17
Won NFC Championship (Packers) 23—20
Won Super Bowl XLII (Patriots) 17—14

The Giants were rated as 12-point underdogs but I personally gave them an even chance to beat New England.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

webny99

Quote from: DaBigE on January 15, 2020, 10:07:11 PM

Strength of schedule? When did the NFL turn into the FBS? One of the things I've heard said time and time again, was how any NFL team has the chance of beating any other team on any given Sunday (or Monday or Thursday...). Until something major changes, the record is everything in the end. What you call luck, others will call coaching skill or great defense. And what the hell does "in-season adjustments" even mean? Next you'll want to throw in factors of weather, dome vs open air stadium, or who's on the IR (and if that's the case, the Packers and a few other teams are due a ton of retroactive credit for massive IR lists from seasons past).

In the end, IMO, if the Packers are so bad, I think the 49ers would have been a hell of a lot cockier in their past few press quotes.

In season adjustments?
The Titans benching Mariota for Tannehill.
The Chiefs defense going from (almost) worst to (almost) first. That type of thing.

I've said too much about the Packers. The Niners, for their part, are simply too smart to get cocky. That's exactly what the Ravens did, and look what happened. A classic example of being the victim of their own success. You relax and enjoy the holidays, put it in cruise, assume an easy W, and you get smacked. Every time.

Max Rockatansky

Rick

I....KNOW...THAT....!!!!

Rick

Sarcasm is hard to convey online.  Nonetheless that sentiment about the NCAA championship being better than the worst NFL team is a fairly popular thing to throw out there by a lot of football fans.  Granted, like I said above the speed of the NFL game is way faster than the college game due to the talent level being so much higher.  The best college teams might have a couple NFL guys, the NFL teams have nothing but the best college players. 

ET21

I love how there's a random post about the dictionary use of the word fuck. Quite lovely...  :eyebrow: :pan:

Anyways back to football, Clemson is already being favored in the way too early top-25 to win next season
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28467228/way-too-early-college-football-top-25-where-do-lsu-clemson-land
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

nexus73

Quote from: ET21 on January 16, 2020, 11:53:02 AM
I love how there's a random post about the dictionary use of the word fuck. Quite lovely...  :eyebrow: :pan:

Anyways back to football, Clemson is already being favored in the way too early top-25 to win next season
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/28467228/way-too-early-college-football-top-25-where-do-lsu-clemson-land

Well, we went from an Alabama dynasty to a Clemson dynasty.  Whose turn next for king of the pigskin mountain?  Since Clemson returns so much, they should be favored in the 2020 season but after that the QB heads off for Sunday play.  Right now I'd be looking at Ohio State to be the next in line.

Oregon got Mississippi State's fired head coach to be the offensive coordinator.  The Duck O was not scintillating in 2019 when compared to the previous seasons so that change combined with a high focus on linemen for both O and D might be enough to keep the Pac-12 in the CFP chase.

Oklahoma looks like they can shake and bake the Big XII so long as QB's keep coming along. 

All the churn at the top seems to be in the SEC, where the level of competition is fierce and high.  This was LSU's turn.  Who's next, Georgia?  Florida?  Auburn?  Or does Saban get the Tide back in the race? 

Remember When: Miami (Fla) was a top dog and they dominated the NFL Draft.  The 80's, 90's and early 00's were their time to flower.  As good as they were, the Canes did fall.  It just took a long time!

Waiting in the wings: Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Texas. 

Trying to find their way back: USC, Tennessee, Nebraska.

When do we see a team flare up like a supernova and then fade like Oregon State did in their Fiesta Bowl season, where the Beavs beat the Irish 41-9?  The next one might be another school with orange as a color and the initials "OSU".  Yeah, Oklahoma State, I'm looking at you in 2020.  Hubbard is the returning leading rusher in the country.  If the Cowboys can find some D, watch out for them.

Rick

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: nexus73 on January 16, 2020, 01:04:39 PM
Quote from: ET21 on January 16, 2020, 11:53:02 AM

Well, we went from an Alabama dynasty to a Clemson dynasty.  Whose turn next for king of the pigskin mountain?  Since Clemson returns so much, they should be favored in the 2020 season but after that the QB heads off for Sunday play.  Right now I'd be looking at Ohio State to be the next in line.

Oregon got Mississippi State's fired head coach to be the offensive coordinator.  The Duck O was not scintillating in 2019 when compared to the previous seasons so that change combined with a high focus on linemen for both O and D might be enough to keep the Pac-12 in the CFP chase.

Oklahoma looks like they can shake and bake the Big XII so long as QB's keep coming along. 

All the churn at the top seems to be in the SEC, where the level of competition is fierce and high.  This was LSU's turn.  Who's next, Georgia?  Florida?  Auburn?  Or does Saban get the Tide back in the race? 

Remember When: Miami (Fla) was a top dog and they dominated the NFL Draft.  The 80's, 90's and early 00's were their time to flower.  As good as they were, the Canes did fall.  It just took a long time!

Waiting in the wings: Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Texas. 

Trying to find their way back: USC, Tennessee, Nebraska.

When do we see a team flare up like a supernova and then fade like Oregon State did in their Fiesta Bowl season, where the Beavs beat the Irish 41-9?  The next one might be another school with orange as a color and the initials "OSU".  Yeah, Oklahoma State, I'm looking at you in 2020.  Hubbard is the returning leading rusher in the country.  If the Cowboys can find some D, watch out for them.

Rick

USC would be helped in finding their way back if they could get their hands on a coach like Ed Orgeron.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.