News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Alternative Fuels Corridor Signs

Started by jon daly, May 10, 2018, 09:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon daly

I saw one of these on I-95 North in Rhode Island just north of Exit 1. It's relatively new and I had no idea what it was so I looked it up. Apologies for the formatting. I couldn't figure out how to post this as a hyperlink. I think that it may be the characters in the web address that were causing the problem.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/vehicles/fact-961-january-23-2017-alternative-fuel-corridors-established-federal-highway

roadman

Alternative fuel corridors is an optional program for states to adopt.  Here's the FHWA memo:

https://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/resources/policy/alt_fuel_corridors/index.htm
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

seicer

I liked what West Virginia did with some of their service signs. Instead of using "GAS," it was swapped for "FUEL." I'm not sure how individual stations list their offerings, or anything more specific, but having the varying fuel icons within the service signs wouldn't be a problem.

SP Cook

As this evolves this is just basic signage.  There seem to be two issues here.

- What this is talking about is indicating a route that has "enough" of access to this or that type of "alternative fuel".   That is really just PR, as it is really on the person with such a vehicle to know such information beforehand.  It is not like somebody with a hydrogen powered car is going to be driving and see a sign that tells him he can go to Denver and just decide to.  No, he is going to check out where he can go beforehand on the internet.

- The more important is the individual stations.  I agree, it is not a big deal to just incorporate a standard symbol for a particular fuel type into the station logos on the blue signs.  I would add that "auto Diesel" should be so noted.  While the fuel is the same, many truck stop truck lanes are not car friendly and do not have a Diesel pump at the car islands. 

hbelkins

I first learned about these corridors when noting last year that the Sheetz in Weston, WV (a frequent stop for me if I'm traveling along I-79 or Corridor H) had installed a bunch of Tesla charging stations.

They're branded Tesla, but I wonder if they'd work on a Chevy Volt?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman

Quote from: hbelkins on May 10, 2018, 12:30:09 PM
I first learned about these corridors when noting last year that the Sheetz in Weston, WV (a frequent stop for me if I'm traveling along I-79 or Corridor H) had installed a bunch of Tesla charging stations.

They're branded Tesla, but I wonder if they'd work on a Chevy Volt?
Tesla stations are so-called Fast Charge.  My understanding is that they will work with a Chevy Volt, except the charging time is much longer than for a Fast Charge compatible vehicle.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.