News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TV shows most people love that you hate

Started by texaskdog, January 09, 2020, 11:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on January 24, 2020, 02:25:07 PM
Quote from: Paulinator66 on January 24, 2020, 02:05:08 PM
Any reality show. . .because they aren't real.

A few weeks ago, a friend of ours educated us about House Hunters.

Probably the fakest of all

US71

They may be "real" but are heavily edited
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

texaskdog

Quote from: US71 on January 26, 2020, 10:26:31 AM

no, scripted.  House Hunters they use people that have already bought a house.  Pickers they don't travel together and work out deals in advance.  Pawn Stars they work out deals in advance.  Judge Judy pays the fees for the losers.  Restaurant Stakeout they bring changes of clothes to pretend it's a different day.  Ice Road Truckers they have that fake competition.  Apparently reality itself is not exciting enough.

US71

Re Judge Judy, People's Court et al

via Quora
Is the show Judge Judy scripted? It's not scripted per se, she IS prepared by the producers, BUT, a judge that's not on TV is always prepared before going out to preside over the case.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

texaskdog

Quote from: US71 on January 26, 2020, 01:44:18 PM

via Quora
Is the show Judge Judy scripted? It's not scripted per se, she IS prepared by the producers, BUT, a judge that's not on TV is always prepared before going out to preside over the case.

I don't believe JJ is scripted but they pay any judgments so she's not really making anyone pay anything.  I still watch but it does make it not so authentic.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US71 on January 26, 2020, 01:44:18 PM

via Quora

And it's arbitration technically, not exactly a good analog for how a court proceeding works.  I do like the People's Court theme, it's by far the only watchable part of the show. 

ilpt4u

Heading into the way back machine...but Friends from the 90s

Not so much that I hate it, but I simply never found the show entertaining, let alone funny. I have trouble suspending the disbelief of the cast's living quarters and lifestyles in relation to their professions, in Manhattan

I guess Friends has been mentioned before on this thread, but I'll continue the echo

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ilpt4u on January 26, 2020, 02:29:34 PM
Heading into the way back machine...but Friends from the 90s

Not so much that I hate it, but I simply never found the show entertaining, let alone funny. I have trouble suspending the disbelief of the cast's living quarters and lifestyles in relation to their professions, in Manhattan

I guess Friends has been mentioned before on this thread, but I'll continue the echo

The problem that I had with it was that I found it something that I couldn't relate to.  I didn't know anyone who acted like the characters in the show did nor lived as they did.  For perspective we had a lot of family and friends in NYC at the time, none them even struck me as close to what Friends was portraying.  I actually kind of found closer analogs to Seinfeld, especially the devious nature a lot of them carried.  Granted Seinfeld has come up in this thread a lot lately.  I noticed that my wife loves Friends but she has a circle of people around her that more closely resemble the characters.  Having watched the show kind of by proxy my opinion would be that a backdrop like the West Coast would have been more fitting.

texaskdog

Friends has that Seinfeld thing.  Seinfeld had that ending because the characters were pathetic.  There was nothing particular enduring with the Friends cast either.  I'll watch it if it's on but it's nowhere near my top 100.

In_Correct

Quote from: texaskdog on January 26, 2020, 01:40:24 PM

no, scripted.  House Hunters they use people that have already bought a house.  Pickers they don't travel together and work out deals in advance.  Pawn Stars they work out deals in advance.  Judge Judy pays the fees for the losers.  Restaurant Stakeout they bring changes of clothes to pretend it's a different day.  Ice Road Truckers they have that fake competition.  Apparently reality itself is not exciting enough.

At least the court programmes (such as Judge Judy) have qualified people to play the part of Judge. They have experience with the legal field usually as a Judge and / or a District Attorney. They probably also have qualified Bailiffs also.
Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

texaskdog

Quote from: In_Correct on January 27, 2020, 07:11:47 AM

At least the court programmes (such as Judge Judy) have qualified people to play the part of Judge. They have experience with the legal field usually as a Judge and / or a District Attorney. They probably also have qualified Bailiffs also.

For sure, they just pretend that the losers pay other than a small disclaimer at the end. 

Rothman

Quote from: In_Correct on January 27, 2020, 07:11:47 AM

Reminds me of SNL's old skit about Aaron Neville (Horatio Sanz) hearing court cases without being a judge and spending most of the time vocalizing about the merits of cocoa butter.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman

Quote from: In_Correct on January 24, 2020, 06:22:05 PM
Quote from: roadman on January 24, 2020, 03:06:00 PM
The "next generation" concept was applied to several classic cartoon characters in the 1990s.  Most notable of these was Steven Spielberg's Tiny Toon Adventures, which many have described as "Looney Tunes for the MTV Generation."

Filmation was never involved with Tom and Jerry.  You're thinking of the Gene Dietch era cartoons, which were animated by a Russian company.

What Do You Mean?!

In the 1960s they adapted theatrical Tom & Jerry for television, heavily censored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9haRrw35gI0

In the 1970s (1975) they switched completely to television with Hanna - Barbera producing The Tom & Jerry Show. (This is completely different from the 2014 programme.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27JIbZ6E-BA

In the 1980s (1980) Filmation produced The Tom & Jerry Comedy Show. A Tom & Jerry Kids opening segment (After Season One) is based off of the opening segment from Filmation. Both are building a very large sign with the mice causing every body to crash in to each other. The Tom & Jerry Comedy Show opening has everybody trying to paint a bill board. Tom & Jerry Kids opening has them using cranes to construct the sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWCrzb7qMHY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLavsYfgut4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzYajnd0njo

Interesting.  I don't recall seeing any of those series.  Which is probably just as well, given Flim - er - Filmation's quality (or lack thereof).  Whenever Filmation is mentioned in discussions about animation, I'm reminded of The Simpson's parody of Fat Albert (Obese Orson).  In one scene, a character utters "Let's go get em guys."  Another character immediately replies "Can't do that.  We're limited to six new scenes per show.  And we used those up just getting here."
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman65

I hate when they retro fit a cartoon after a lifestyle is established.  Flintstones are one as one episode of the original series showed Fred and Wilma (along with Barney and Betty)meeting as young adults at a resort they both worked, and then the Flintstones Kids made it all out to be that they all knew each other as children and grew up together.

Now the Flintstones are all self contained in each episode as was Tom and Jerry (Tom even died in one cartoon in the end) was in a different universe.  The Odd Couple was very much another as one particular episode showed Felix and Oscar meeting for the first time while serving on a jury yet other episodes implied they met as kids.  Then Oscar's mother was played by two completely different actresses in the third season with one story line about Oscar not telling his mom he was divorced while the other implied his mom was at his divorce hearing.

The whole concept is popular of writers not following up on previous episodes and stuff, but to me I prefer more consistency in shows even Dallas which was to be a soap opera with continuing stories. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

texaskdog

Quote from: roadman65 on February 12, 2020, 11:27:11 AM
I hate when they retro fit a cartoon after a lifestyle is established.  Flintstones are one as one episode of the original series showed Fred and Wilma (along with Barney and Betty)meeting as young adults at a resort they both worked, and then the Flintstones Kids made it all out to be that they all knew each other as children and grew up together.

Now the Flintstones are all self contained in each episode as was Tom and Jerry (Tom even died in one cartoon in the end) was in a different universe.  The Odd Couple was very much another as one particular episode showed Felix and Oscar meeting for the first time while serving on a jury yet other episodes implied they met as kids.  Then Oscar's mother was played by two completely different actresses in the third season with one story line about Oscar not telling his mom he was divorced while the other implied his mom was at his divorce hearing.

The whole concept is popular of writers not following up on previous episodes and stuff, but to me I prefer more consistency in shows even Dallas which was to be a soap opera with continuing stories. 

King of the Hill: Peggy's mom was in her life and fun, then she became a mean rancher she was estranged from.  since when do you recast moms in cartoons?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.