News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

A Few Questions

Started by webny99, May 21, 2018, 10:10:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Here are two ideas I've been pondering recently:

(1) Regarding the smiley face that appears on the far left when you've posted in a thread, is there a way to make this clickable? I sometimes find myself wanting to see the first reply I've posted in a thread so I don't repeat myself, especially when (a) sufficient time has passed and I've forgotten what I said and (b) the thread is several pages or more.

(2) Is there potential for removal of the 300-character limit for signatures?
The problem I have is that every single character within a link counts towards the limit, instead of just the text that will display. Therefore, it's almost impossible to fit more than one or two links within a signature. Mine is maxed right now, just with links to my two mob-rule maps, but I'd like to add to it, considering I've technically used only about 50 characters and should have about 250 left.

Obviously, these are not important issues, just stuff I've wondered about, and figured I might as well see what others think.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on May 21, 2018, 10:10:54 AM
The problem I have is that every single character within a link counts towards the limit, instead of just the text that will display. Therefore, it's almost impossible to fit more than one or two links within a signature. Mine is maxed right now, just with links to my two mob-rule maps, but I'd like to add to it, considering I've technically used only about 50 characters and should have about 250 left.

I have removed the http:// from my links, and I also have a few non-ASCII characters. (Some non-ASCII characters count as two, but most count as one. It seems to use UTF-16.)

However, when removing http:// from links, trying to edit it adds it back and truncates the last few characters, so you have to remove it every time you edit.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Whoops. I meant to put this in "Suggestions and Questions". I actually thought I had done so, until I checked for replies just now.

Scott5114

(1) is a function of the forum software and isn't changeable without writing some code.

As for (2), don't forget that even text that doesn't display has to be downloaded to the user's computer. 300 characters isn't much, but with 20 posts to a page, that's 5.86 KB per page on user signatures.  Not a whole lot, but if you're on a bad connection every little bit can matter.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 24, 2018, 01:53:45 AM
(1) is a function of the forum software and isn't changeable without writing some code.

As for (2), don't forget that even text that doesn't display has to be downloaded to the user's computer. 300 characters isn't much, but with 20 posts to a page, that's 5.86 KB per page on user signatures.  Not a whole lot, but if you're on a bad connection every little bit can matter.
If you're on a bad connection, suppress signatures.

kphoger

Quote from: Alps on May 24, 2018, 10:44:55 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 24, 2018, 01:53:45 AM

which only helps if you already know how to do that.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Froggie probably has some tips on how to speed up slow connections. When he was at sea, his bandwidth was not very good, he often said.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2018, 01:08:21 PM

Profile > Look and Layout (left column, 6th option) > Check the box for Don't show users' signatures. (5th check box).

Click the Save Profile button at the extreme bottom right and enjoy not knowing where everyone else has been!

Personally, I'd advocate for a maximum of two-line signatures at standard-or-smaller font sizes, keep the character limit, and no images.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on May 24, 2018, 02:36:33 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 24, 2018, 01:08:21 PM

Profile > Look and Layout (left column, 6th option) > Check the box for Don't show users' signatures. (5th check box).

Click the Save Profile button at the extreme bottom right and enjoy not knowing where everyone else has been!

Personally, I'd advocate for a maximum of two-line signatures at standard-or-smaller font sizes, keep the character limit, and no images.

No, what I meant was that most forum users aren't going to already know how to do that.  Not to mention that they aren't even going to think of it in the first place.  Basically, for that to work for someone, they would need to...

(1) realize their connection is poor (probable),
(2) identify long signatures as a contributing factor (unlikely),
(3) realize they can hide change a setting to suppress signatures (almost as unlikely),
(4) figure out how to do so (possible).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Anyone who's belonged to a forum for a little while knows that they're common settings. A bit curiosity pays off.

froggie

QuoteFroggie probably has some tips on how to speed up slow connections. When he was at sea, his bandwidth was not very good, he often said.

Biggest thing for me was disabling images, which made it managable.  Main problem I ran into was when people would embed videos or GMSV into their posts.

rickmastfan67

Yes, but we're not considering changing the character limit for it at this time.  Also, all the 'bcc' text will always count towards the limit, and that can't be changed do to how it's hard-coded into SMF.

Also, consider going to a URL shortener site like 'http://bitly.com/'; if you want to squeeze a few more characters into your signature.

index

Quote from: 1 on May 21, 2018, 10:22:07 AM

I have removed the http:// from my links, and I also have a few non-ASCII characters. (Some non-ASCII characters count as two, but most count as one. It seems to use UTF-16.)

However, when removing http:// from links, trying to edit it adds it back and truncates the last few characters, so you have to remove it every time you edit.

In regard to your signature, it's possible you could make a picture of text and use that, (depending on your internet) rather than actual text, that way you don't have to use odd characters. To deal with the height limit, I could see a horizontal table with route types and numbers as a solution.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.