News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A Dam failure reported in Michigan

Started by bing101, May 20, 2020, 05:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLmapboy

Are places in Saginaw or Lansing dealing with higher-than-normal volume? Maybe the Covid-affected hotels will get a bit of break there (no pun intended).

In all seriousness, though, this is just terrible. I wonder who's liable?
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: STLmapboy on May 20, 2020, 05:54:03 PM
Are places in Saginaw or Lansing dealing with higher-than-normal volume? Maybe the Covid-affected hotels will get a bit of break there (no pun intended).

Edenville Dam had a poor structure rating and was holding back a relatively large Wixom Lake.  Midland is pretty much hosed given it is down river which is a shame since it's actually kind of scenic. 

cl94

I'm somewhat-familiar with the area here. Terrain is flat enough that this will impact a pretty wide area. Midland's hospital is close to the river and anything along the Tittabawassee River is SOL.

I'm curious if this will result in a chemical shortage. Dow has a major plant along the river that obviously can't operate right now.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Flint1979

Yeah that's true. I live in Saginaw and everything south of M-61 is closed to cross the river until you get to southern Saginaw County which is about 60 miles from M-61.

The other day I noticed the water level in the Tittabawassee River was very high. We had about three days of very heavy rain ending yesterday and it was on Monday that I noticed the water level being very high in the river, the second day of very heavy rain. I said we are gonna have a flood worse than 1986 on Monday, then last night I heard the Edenville Dam failed. Now we are past the flood of 1986 which is a legendary flood in this area.

Flint1979

Quote from: STLmapboy on May 20, 2020, 05:54:03 PM

The western parts of Saginaw are that are close to the Tittabawassee River but the city itself isn't.  The Saginaw River is flooded in some areas near Wikes Park but that's about it right now anyway.

Lansing is probably unaffected from this.

Flint1979

A lot of the water has resided and moved on. The other day the water level was right at the deck of the bridges, now it's gone down.

Gordonville, Freeland, Tittabawassee and Gratiot (M-46) bridges have all reopened with State, Center, M-52 at the Bad River in St. Charles and M-13 at the Cass River all still closed. Using Hemlock Road as an alternate to M-52 and Sheridan Road as an alternate to M-13 are the best options for those two.

None of the Saginaw River crossings were effected.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.