News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

TheGrassGuy

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 20, 2021, 04:48:35 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 20, 2021, 04:46:01 PM
It appears that this does not take you anywhere - https://www.google.com/maps/@30.0925732,-95.0181836,14.71z
The road isn't built yet. I have no idea why Google is marking it as of now. It will eventually form a loop of Houston.

You see this in China all the time. :D
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

vdeane

One thing that's annoying (though probably not really new) is that, while there is a way to filter search results by when something will be open, there's no way to filter out places without confirmed holiday hours when doing so.  It's really annoying when you're trying to find places that will be open around a holiday to be pulling up nothing by "holiday hours might differ".  Especially when the search results are hardly comprehensive to begin with (a search for "pizza" for example, routinely leaves off more than half the pizza places in the area around here).  May as well just hunt and peck.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

tolbs17

I already reported to Google about the inaccurate drawing of the realigned US-52, but still nothing has happened.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2021828,-80.2999564,1517m/data=!3m1!1e3

jakeroot

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 01, 2022, 02:02:33 PM
I already reported to Google about the inaccurate drawing of the realigned US-52, but still nothing has happened.

I wouldn't get too hung up on alignments when there is active construction. It's pretty often inaccurate simply because the alignments can/do shift with some frequency.

Molandfreak

Quote from: jakeroot on January 02, 2022, 02:42:35 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 01, 2022, 02:02:33 PM

I wouldn't get too hung up on alignments when there is active construction. It's pretty often inaccurate simply because the alignments can/do shift with some frequency.
Yeah, unfortunately, this is the sort of thing that will resolve itself, but it could take weeks. When US 14 was moved to an expressway east of Owatonna, MN in the fall, both the new and old alignments were shown with big yellow lines for a couple of weeks. It'll be fixed eventually.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

CNGL-Leudimin

The reduced speed thing is being fixed now. Some sections are now back to normal and allowing cruise speeds of up to 400 km/h (~250 mph) again, others still not.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Rothman

I blame Google's botch of preferring "fuel efficient" routes.  It's been a disaster.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

jakeroot

Couple updates I've recently noticed that arguably improve Google Maps:

(1) South Korea now has vector mapping, previously it was a low resolution alternative that looked awful. Street View imagery is still pretty sparse outside the capitol.

(2) Highly-detailed street maps, first launched in SF and NYC, have now reached other markets. Locally, Seattle now has the new detailed street maps, although none of the neighboring cities do just yet (and probably won't for a while).

thspfc

Quote from: jakeroot on January 24, 2022, 12:33:22 PM
Couple updates I've recently noticed that arguably improve Google Maps:

(1) South Korea now has vector mapping, previously it was a low resolution alternative that looked awful. Street View imagery is still pretty sparse outside the capitol.

(2) Highly-detailed street maps, first launched in SF and NYC, have now reached other markets. Locally, Seattle now has the new detailed street maps, although none of the neighboring cities do just yet (and probably won't for a while).
The detail of the NYC streets is pretty cool.

MATraveler128

I've noticed the detailed streets too. I think it's a cool feature. I believe it's only for larger cities though, as I checked other smaller cities, but didn't see the feature.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

thspfc

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 24, 2022, 12:59:05 PM
I've noticed the detailed streets too. I think it's a cool feature. I believe it's only for larger cities though, as I checked other smaller cities, but didn't see the feature.
Neither Chicago nor LA have them yet. Long ways to go.

empirestate

Quote from: thspfc on January 24, 2022, 01:02:38 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on January 24, 2022, 12:59:05 PM
Neither Chicago nor LA have them yet. Long ways to go.

Boston's got it. Not Philly or DC, though.

EDIT: Also Dallas.

CNGL-Leudimin

And not only in the USA. Madrid has them too.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MATraveler128

Atlanta is still missing out. They don't have it yet either.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

CoreySamson

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 07, 2022, 02:19:47 PM
The reduced speed thing is being fixed now. Some sections are now back to normal and allowing cruise speeds of up to 400 km/h (~250 mph) again, others still not.
I'm still seeing this glitch everywhere on GSV (except for a random surface street in College Station, weird). It happens for imagery of any age. Anyone else still seeing this (or is my computer just really slow)?

I'm really hoping it's not a permanent QoL change so people don't overshoot their clicks. Someone (who doesn't generally care for GSV or roads at all) was showing me something on GSV the other day and she didn't like how slow it is compared to how it used to be, so apparently the problem is noticeable enough for average people to see.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Scott5114

I've been getting usual speeds. Could be you have a cached copy on your computer–does Ctrl+Shift+R or Ctrl+F5 fix it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

D-Dey65

I was just printing directions from Google Maps which for some reason was telling us to "Get on FL-589 Toll S from Elgin Blvd and Barclay Ave."

YOU CAN NOT GET ONTO FL-589-TOLL FROM ELGIN BOULEVARD!!!!

https://youtu.be/k1g8WCA7mJk

And now my bad imitation of Jim Morrison is done.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Wait, you still print directions?  Wasn't that more of a Map Quest kind of thing?

vdeane

For whatever reason, Google is refusing to route on a portion of I-95 NB in Maryland (between MD 216 and MD 32).  Meanwhile, no closure is being shown in the traffic layer.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 18, 2022, 09:03:59 PM
^^^

Wait, you still print directions?  Wasn't that more of a Map Quest kind of thing?
No, Google Maps can be printed too.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on February 18, 2022, 11:05:56 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 18, 2022, 09:03:59 PM
^^^

No, Google Maps can be printed too.
When Mobile Google Maps can handle edit points, then I will give this mockery heed.  But for now, Google Maps sucks on that regard, so printing has its advantages still, if you want to follow a specific route.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.