News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Roadways that are potentially overbuilt

Started by iBallasticwolf2, May 24, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-55

Quote from: kphoger on September 17, 2020, 02:20:14 PM
Quote from: I-55 on September 17, 2020, 01:34:28 PM

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 16, 2020, 09:38:00 PM
Thread bump:

Is this flyover strictly necessary?

I remember once upon a time HB said something about coal trucks going down the hill, I'll let HB clear that up.

I think you're getting two separate posts by him confused.  The two locations are actually about 25 miles apart.

Quote from: hbelkins on October 12, 2011, 01:52:13 PM

Quote from: codyg1985 on October 12, 2011, 01:49:05 PM
This one is close to there in Inez, KY. This is a typical intersection for KY 3 and KY 645 except there is a flyover to stay on KY 3 NB:

http://g.co/maps/wfnqj

I haven't been there since that was built. I never really understood the need for it, but I think it was done to keep traffic staying on KY 3 north from  pulling across four lanes of traffic, so I guess it was justified for safety reasons.

Quote from: hbelkins on January 25, 2012, 09:10:14 PM
There are also plans to build a grade-separated interchange at KY 3 near Louisa. (Which, in my view, is a total waste of money. The current signalized intersection is at the bottom of a long downhill grade going north and the exit is being built, supposedly, to keep coal trucks from running the red light and slamming into vehicles that have the green on KY 3. I'd solve that by spending a few thousand dollars to put a mandatory truck stop at the top of the hill, instead of millions for an interchange.)

I had the intersection right but the coal truck part wrong. But probably the same thing can be said as there's a downhill leading to the intersection from 3.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

TheGrassGuy

Exit 56 for I-78 in Newark (unbuilt freeway, cancelled due to NIMBYs)
If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

MikieTimT

I think it's safe to say there won't be any Arkansas specimens on this thread.

NWI_Irish96

Once you get more than 10 or so miles north of Fort Wayne, IN 3 being 4 lanes seems unnecessary.
Similarly, more than a few miles south of Huntington, IN 9 being 4 lanes seems unnecessary.
I'm also amused by IN 520 being 4 lanes.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Avalanchez71

Quote from: MikieTimT on October 02, 2020, 06:10:48 PM

I-69 will be overbuilt as it is unnecessary.

SkyPesos

OH 11 is a full freeway with an AADT with 6k. That may justify a divided 4 lane with at-grade intersections, but I'm questioning why ODOT spent their resources turning this into a full freeway, instead of US 23 between I-270 and US 35 (AADT 20k-30k) and the Columbus-Toledo corridor.

silverback1065

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 27, 2021, 01:50:08 PM

i think it's needed to memphis only. south of memphis it's useless.

SkyPesos

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 27, 2021, 05:05:46 PM
Quote from: Avalanchez71 on February 27, 2021, 01:50:08 PM

i think it's needed to memphis only. south of memphis it's useless.
The mainline Texas section up to Tenaha is pretty useful. Houston will have a connection on its northeast after its done, and using I-369 from Tenaha to I-30. The branches south of Victoria are their own issue. I think 69E should be mainline 69, 69C removed and 69W to a 3di, but that's fictional.

hbelkins

There were two issues with the KY 3/KY 645 flyover near Inez. One was coal trucks coming down the hill on westbound 645. The other was slow-moving traffic (again, including coal trucks) making the left furn from northbound 3 to northbound 3/westbound 645. There is a very short concurrency of the two routes before KY 3 northbound makes a right turn off the four-lane to head into downtown Inez on its original routing.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Ketchup99

Turns out, unbelievably, there is one in Pennsylvania (where very little is overbuilt). A 2.5-mile four-lane divided highway bypassing Milesburg on Alternate US-220 and PA-150. Two lanes on either side, where one is really all that's needed. I imagine that, before I-99 was built, they meant to upgrade existing Route 220 to 2+2?
Link here.

tolbs17

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 01, 2021, 10:13:25 PM
I-73 in southwestern Greensboro.
8 lane urban freeway, I don't see how it's necessarily overbuilt. 

Ketchup99

Quote from: kphoger on March 02, 2021, 09:13:46 AM
Quote from: Ketchup99 on March 01, 2021, 09:48:32 PM
which is really all that's needed.

So it isn't overbuilt?
Good catch, thanks. I meant two lanes total is all that's needed - four is overkill.

TheGrassGuy

If you ever feel useless, remember that CR 504 exists.

texaskdog

Quote from: I-39 on May 24, 2015, 09:01:45 PM
I've said this many times on this forum, but I think some state DOT's (specifically Wisconsin) are starting to overbuild freeways.

Someone finally hired Fritzowl for his dream job

andrepoiy

This is 2nd Concession in East Gwillimbury, Ontario. Why they decided to turn this 2-lane road into a 4-lane road with bike paths is a mystery to me, considering that there is absolutely nothing there, and it is also not a heavily-travelled arterial either.

Here's a link to the Google Satellite view: https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.0885197,-79.4658523,2224m/data=!3m1!1e3

Here is a streetview screenshot:

SkyPesos

tolbs17

I-73 in Greensboro used to be that way, but I do believe it can still support only 6 lanes instead of 8. Just my consideration.

Can't think of anything else...

sparker

Quote from: tolbs17 on May 08, 2021, 03:38:19 PM
I-73 in Greensboro used to be that way, but I do believe it can still support only 6 lanes instead of 8. Just my consideration.

If this is in reference to the 8-lane stretch between I-85 and I-40, originally I-40 was also signed over that section with I-73, so the facility, part of the Greensboro Bypass loop, was built to accommodate the peak traffic for the combined routes.  Later it was decided to revert I-40 to its original routing, so I-73 now occupies the 8 lanes by itself.  It could be restriped for only 6 lanes, but there's no compelling reason for doing so unless NCDOT elects to do that to keep traffic wear & tear off part of the carriageways. 

SkyPesos

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=15588.0

Most recent post in that thread was in March of this year.

Also in that thread:
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 01, 2021, 10:13:25 PM
I-73 in southwestern Greensboro.

ozarkman417

MO 364. In some areas, there are 5 lanes in each direction when 3-4 is enough.

tolbs17

Quote from: sparker on May 08, 2021, 03:48:11 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on May 08, 2021, 03:38:19 PM

If this is in reference to the 8-lane stretch between I-85 and I-40, originally I-40 was also signed over that section with I-73, so the facility, part of the Greensboro Bypass loop, was built to accommodate the peak traffic for the combined routes.  Later it was decided to revert I-40 to its original routing, so I-73 now occupies the 8 lanes by itself.  It could be restriped for only 6 lanes, but there's no compelling reason for doing so unless NCDOT elects to do that to keep traffic wear & tear off part of the carriageways.
I don't think it should or needs to be narrowed down. It's fine the way it is.

m2tbone

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 08, 2021, 03:51:09 PM
MO 364. In some areas, there are 5 lanes in each direction when 3-4 is enough.

I have to disagree somewhat.  When bridges on I-70 and I-64 were being rebuilt, those extra lanes made a huge difference.  I think they'll need to widen MO 364 from Mid Rivers to I-64 fairly soon. The population growth is quite rapid in western St. Charles County.

iPad Pro

TheHighwayMan3561

The Dan Ryan Expressway
The Katy Freeway
The Golden State Freeway
The 401 in Toronto
The street to your house
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.