News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roadways that are potentially overbuilt

Started by iBallasticwolf2, May 24, 2015, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

US-301 from Emporia to Jarratt. 4-lane highway...

Around Carson in Virginia too. only 1,000 AADT. overbuilt....

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 13, 2022, 08:39:26 PM

It was a four lane divided highway between Emporia and Templeton before I-95 was built, so when it was widened, it served the major north-south movements.

I-95 was built around 1980 which mostly upgraded the existing US-301 alignment, though used new location between Emporia and Jarratt, and around Carson, where the old 4 lane is retained. US-301 is now a local road, most traffic is on I-95.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 13, 2022, 09:10:16 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 13, 2022, 08:39:26 PM

It was a four lane divided highway between Emporia and Templeton before I-95 was built, so when it was widened, it served the major north-south movements.

I-95 was built around 1980 which mostly upgraded the existing US-301 alignment, though used new location between Emporia and Jarratt, and around Carson, where the old 4 lane is retained. US-301 is now a local road, most traffic is on I-95.
And with that being said the same thing will most likely occur for US-17 around Merry Hill, North Carolina.

Also, wasn't I-95 a four lane highway with at-grade intersections in Lumberton? I feel like it was but I'm not positive.

NC 4 from Gold Rock to Battleboro is also another one that looks overbuilt but nothing will be done I'm sure except for the interchange upgrades at I-95 which is happening now.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.