News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Infrastructure Bill 2021

Started by ITB, August 02, 2021, 05:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 14, 2022, 09:36:35 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 14, 2022, 08:43:08 PM
Fix the bridges over I-95 in Johnston County! Very dated and low quality...

What exactly is wrong with them? I see one "Poor" with a sufficiency rating of 35, but most bridges over I-95 in Johnston County appear to be in good condition, even those constructed in the 1950s.
Well, they are just old looking and this has happened before because due to their age...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/johnston-county-news/exposed-cables-on-major-bridge-over-i-95-in-smithfield-force-3-week-closure/amp/

Big John

^^ That was a failure in part of the deck.  The deck is the riding surface of the bridge.  The deck rating doesn't affect the bridge rating very much as it is more easily rehabbed/replaced than the superstructure or the substructure.

Bridges with a sufficiency rating under 50 are eligible for federal funds to rehab or replace the bridge.

oscar

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 14, 2022, 09:51:03 PM
What exactly is wrong with them? I see one "Poor" with a sufficiency rating of 35, but most bridges over I-95 in Johnston County appear to be in good condition, even those constructed in the 1950s.
Well, they are just old looking and this has happened before because due to their age...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/johnston-county-news/exposed-cables-on-major-bridge-over-i-95-in-smithfield-force-3-week-closure/amp/

Isn't the bridge in "poor" condition the one discussed in the article you cite? Which has received some repairs, and was planned (even before the infrastructure bill passed) to be replaced soon anyway?

Anyway, "just old looking" is a lame excuse for replacing bridges in fair or better condition, unless they need to be replaced anyway such as for widening the bridge or I-95. Almost certainly not enough money in the infrastructure bill to go down that far on the priority list.  Besides there are lots of other alternative uses for the funds needed to replace "just old looking" bridges, including but not limited to leaving that money in us taxpayers' pockets.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

tolbs17

Quote from: oscar on January 14, 2022, 10:10:37 PM

Isn't the bridge in "poor" condition the one discussed in the article you cite? Which has received some repairs, and was planned (even before the infrastructure bill passed) to be replaced soon anyway?

Anyway, "just old looking" is a lame excuse for replacing bridges in fair or better condition, unless they need to be replaced anyway such as for widening the bridge or I-95. Almost certainly not enough money in the infrastructure bill to go down that far on the priority list.  Besides there are lots of other alternative uses for the funds needed to replace "just old looking" bridges, including but not limited to leaving that money in us taxpayers' pockets.
Yes, if you have read the article, it says it will be replaced sometime in 2023.

Big John

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 14, 2022, 10:19:01 PM

Yes, if you have read the article, it says it will be replaced sometime in 2023.
That looks like the bridge with the 35.0 sufficiency rating.

tolbs17

Quote from: Big John on January 14, 2022, 10:22:31 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 14, 2022, 10:19:01 PM

That looks like the bridge with the 35.0 sufficiency rating.
Yes

vdeane

It looks like there might not be nearly so much new construction as many roadgeeks would have hoped.  New roads and widening will be at the bottom of the priority list and projects requiring new ROW are ineligible for fast-tracked environmental review.  Per an article from the Wall Street Journal:

If you hoped President Biden's infrastructure spending might bring a smoother drive to an area near you, it's worth reading the latest fine print. Before funds are disbursed, bureaucrats are attaching strings that make it far more difficult to build new highways.

The restrictions come from a memo last month from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). The Transportation Department agency is fielding infrastructure project proposals from states and cities, and it has sway over regulatory approval. Deputy Administrator Stephanie Pollack advised staff on the types of projects they should give the red light.

According to the memo, proposals should be sent to the bottom of the pile if they "add new general purpose travel lanes serving single occupancy vehicles."  She means cars. That includes construction of new roads and highways, or expansions of existing ones. States and cities that need new capacity will take a back seat to those seeking upgrades.

This guidance is a bait-and-switch on Congressional Republicans who backed the infrastructure deal mainly because it would expand and improve surface transportation. House Democrats led by Transportation Committee Chairman Peter DeFazio wanted similar limits on new building in the version of the bill they passed, but Senate Republicans kept those limits out of the final draft. Rep. DeFazio staged a public tantrum, but he had to accept it.

Now highway skeptics in the Transportation Department are imposing restrictions like those that failed to pass Congress. Road construction will also be tied up by environmental reviews. Republicans tried to pre-empt the red tape by including the One Federal Decision framework in the infrastructure bill. The policy imposes a 90-day limit on approval for projects reviewed under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).

But the FHWA is doubling down on other green restrictions. Its memo declares that any project requiring a new right of way is ineligible for a fast-tracked NEPA review. States planning to widen clogged highways using federal funds could face months or years of scrutiny. We warned that the bill's permitting reforms were insufficient, and here we are.

The restrictions will likely fall hardest on red states. Fast-growing areas in the Sunbelt and Northwest need highway extensions to improve local commuting and commerce.

Take North Dakota, where traffic on the Highway 85 corridor has caused an increase in fatalities. The state transportation department plans to widen part of the two-lane route with new federal funds, but the new restrictions could jam up the process. Texas also needs new interstate highway capacity, especially north from Laredo and from the Rio Grande Valley to the Houston area.

Disdain for highways is common among progressive regulators, who see blocking road improvements as a virtue that will assist mass transit and climate-change goals. Upon her appointment as the interim highway administration leader, Ms. Pollack promised "an agency that supports people rather than a singular mode of transportation."  Her boss, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, has said that traditional highway designs are racist.

States and cities will continue to seek highway expansions, and some may secure funding. But don't be surprised when federal agencies continue to steer "bipartisan"  infrastructure funds toward progressive priorities.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/highway-funding-bait-and-switch-agencies-bipartisan-infrasctructure-new-capacity-cars-public-transportation-11643576500
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Plutonic Panda

As much as I don't like that we still need this bill to rebuild our infrastructure so as long as it can go to rebuild what we have that is in disrepair I'll be happy.

kernals12

Quote from: vdeane on January 31, 2022, 08:51:45 PM
It looks like there might not be nearly so much new construction as many roadgeeks would have hoped.  New roads and widening will be at the bottom of the priority list and projects requiring new ROW are ineligible for fast-tracked environmental review.  Per an article from the Wall Street Journal:

If you hoped President Biden's infrastructure spending might bring a smoother drive to an area near you, it's worth reading the latest fine print. Before funds are disbursed, bureaucrats are attaching strings that make it far more difficult to build new highways.

The restrictions come from a memo last month from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA). The Transportation Department agency is fielding infrastructure project proposals from states and cities, and it has sway over regulatory approval. Deputy Administrator Stephanie Pollack advised staff on the types of projects they should give the red light.

According to the memo, proposals should be sent to the bottom of the pile if they "add new general purpose travel lanes serving single occupancy vehicles."  She means cars. That includes construction of new roads and highways, or expansions of existing ones. States and cities that need new capacity will take a back seat to those seeking upgrades.

This guidance is a bait-and-switch on Congressional Republicans who backed the infrastructure deal mainly because it would expand and improve surface transportation. House Democrats led by Transportation Committee Chairman Peter DeFazio wanted similar limits on new building in the version of the bill they passed, but Senate Republicans kept those limits out of the final draft. Rep. DeFazio staged a public tantrum, but he had to accept it.

Now highway skeptics in the Transportation Department are imposing restrictions like those that failed to pass Congress. Road construction will also be tied up by environmental reviews. Republicans tried to pre-empt the red tape by including the One Federal Decision framework in the infrastructure bill. The policy imposes a 90-day limit on approval for projects reviewed under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).

But the FHWA is doubling down on other green restrictions. Its memo declares that any project requiring a new right of way is ineligible for a fast-tracked NEPA review. States planning to widen clogged highways using federal funds could face months or years of scrutiny. We warned that the bill's permitting reforms were insufficient, and here we are.

The restrictions will likely fall hardest on red states. Fast-growing areas in the Sunbelt and Northwest need highway extensions to improve local commuting and commerce.

Take North Dakota, where traffic on the Highway 85 corridor has caused an increase in fatalities. The state transportation department plans to widen part of the two-lane route with new federal funds, but the new restrictions could jam up the process. Texas also needs new interstate highway capacity, especially north from Laredo and from the Rio Grande Valley to the Houston area.

Disdain for highways is common among progressive regulators, who see blocking road improvements as a virtue that will assist mass transit and climate-change goals. Upon her appointment as the interim highway administration leader, Ms. Pollack promised "an agency that supports people rather than a singular mode of transportation."  Her boss, Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, has said that traditional highway designs are racist.

States and cities will continue to seek highway expansions, and some may secure funding. But don't be surprised when federal agencies continue to steer "bipartisan"  infrastructure funds toward progressive priorities.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/highway-funding-bait-and-switch-agencies-bipartisan-infrasctructure-new-capacity-cars-public-transportation-11643576500

Hopefully protests from Democratic Senators and Governors who don't want pet projects in their states derailed will get FHWA to back off.

Bruce

Good. We should be repairing and replacing what we already have before even thinking of expansions (unless states are willing to raise those funds themselves, as they should).

cl94

"Screw rural areas, amirite?"

As left-leaning as I am, some of the transportation policies of that side of the aisle are...um, inequitable when it comes to impacts on rural areas.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

US 89

Quote from: Bruce on January 31, 2022, 10:17:15 PM
Good. We should be repairing and replacing what we already have before even thinking of expansions (unless states are willing to raise those funds themselves, as they should).

Except in the eyes of the policy makers here, "expansion" can mean anything between "add some lanes to an urban 12 lane freeway in large city" or "four-lane a dangerous winding narrow 2-lane rural highway with high crash rates and fatality counts".

tolbs17

Hope that bridge collapse gets the attention of that bill.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bruce on January 31, 2022, 10:17:15 PM

That's a pretty high and mighty approach to take. Might make sense if you live in a city with a mature transportation system. Doesn't make sense in places like Oklahoma. To ODOT's credit, they've actually spent most of the last decade fixing deficient bridges, so there's not a whole lot of them left...but we've fallen behind on actually supplying good roads to the places people are moving to.

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 01, 2022, 02:15:47 AM

How exactly do you get the attention of a bill?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

tolbs17

[/quote]Because they tell you what they are going to do. All the money will go to highways, bridges, airports, rail, etc.

Flint1979

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 01, 2022, 08:16:17 AM

Because they tell you what they are going to do. All the money will go to highways, bridges, airports, rail, etc.
[/quote]
What they say they are going to do usually isn't what they end up doing.

tolbs17

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 01, 2022, 10:22:04 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 01, 2022, 08:16:17 AM

Because they tell you what they are going to do. All the money will go to highways, bridges, airports, rail, etc.
What they say they are going to do usually isn't what they end up doing.
[/quote]Ah. so plans could change. Either way, this is a rather disappointing change.

triplemultiplex

^^
Ah, fix y'alls quotes!! :P

I don't see this as that big of a barrier to the infusion of federal money leading to the kind of projects that get us roadgeeks excited.  All a state has to do is send that money into their regular and backlogged maintenance so they can use their state funds for their expansions and new facilities.  Assuming they have the discretion to do so, that puts states wherever they want to be with 2021 infrastructure money.

I can appreciate not wanting to fast track EIS for greenfields projects since there are more things to consider with those projects versus projects that just add lanes or repave within existing r/w.  That seems sensible to me.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

This is what we mean when we make reference to "the deep state." No matter the legislative intent, there's an entrenched bureaucracy that shapes and molds things to its own desires. In this case, there's obviously an anti-car, anti-roads faction within FHWA that got hold of the bill and changed the parameters to fit an agenda.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

HighwayStar

Quote from: hbelkins on February 01, 2022, 11:34:18 AM
This is what we mean when we make reference to "the deep state." No matter the legislative intent, there's an entrenched bureaucracy that shapes and molds things to its own desires. In this case, there's obviously an anti-car, anti-roads faction within FHWA that got hold of the bill and changed the parameters to fit an agenda.

An exceptionally accurate and concise summary of the problem.  :clap:
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

vdeane

Except I don't think we're talking about career civil servants who are experts in their field here.  These policies sound like they came straight from Biden's appointees - in other words, they reflect the priorities of an elected official.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

HighwayStar

Quote from: vdeane on February 01, 2022, 12:45:34 PM
Except I don't think we're talking about career civil servants who are experts in their field here.  These policies sound like they came straight from Biden's appointees - in other words, they reflect the priorities of an elected official.

"career civil servants" "experts in their field"
That is being exceptionally generous. Bureaucrats that in many cases have never had to make anything work in the real world for so much as a single day in their life. Ever been to the post office or DMV? I seriously doubt the so called "experts" are much better. And what is to say that they don't march with the elected official either? They are quite capable of creating policies that fit the party line. 

kalvado

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 01, 2022, 12:56:41 PM

That is being exceptionally generous. Bureaucrats that in many cases have never had to make anything work in the real world for so much as a single day in their life. Ever been to the post office or DMV? I seriously doubt the so called "experts" are much better. And what is to say that they don't march with the elected official either? They are quite capable of creating policies that fit the party line.
Point is, change in funds distribution is endorsed by political top brass. It is really irrelevant who wrote particular document - it is about who pushes the policy.
And there are 2 issues for me in this case: first, bait-and-switch mentioned in the article. Happens way to often when someone basically thinks their oppinion is the only one that matters. Sure such tricks would help any non-partisan deals in future.
Second is situation when ideology supersedes realities of the situation. Of course, spending every penny on a new road would be another bad extreme - but recognizing that change in population, travel patterns, transportation requirements  can cause a very real need for new roads (or decommissioning some old ones!) and ignoring realities of flyover states... Well, we'll see how that would turn out. I am not optimistic.

Rothman

Post Offices and DMVs work pretty well around here.  Not sure what your point is there.

I can't remember the last time I had a serious issue with either of them.  I suppose there was a couple of people ahead of me one time at the Post Office...

Then again, outside of appointing a Postmaster General, not sure how else the Post Office counts as being part of government...

Point being, anyone who thinks career civil servants aren't in the "real world" is ignorant of how government operates.

Appointees...totally different matter...which makes you wonder if no one likes them, then why do we keep letting politicians appoint them...and if they keep doing so despite our objections, do we really have a voice in the matter...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

HighwayStar

Quote from: Rothman on February 01, 2022, 01:51:44 PM

Post Offices and DMVs work pretty well around here.  Not sure what your point is there.

I can't remember the last time I had a serious issue with either of them.  I suppose there was a couple of people ahead of me one time at the Post Office...

Then again, outside of appointing a Postmaster General, not sure how else the Post Office counts as being part of government...

Point being, anyone who thinks career civil servants aren't in the "real world" is ignorant of how government operates.

Appointees...totally different matter...which makes you wonder if no one likes them, then why do we keep letting politicians appoint them...and if they keep doing so despite our objections, do we really have a voice in the matter...

They don't live in the real world. The government never goes bankrupt, no matter how poorly it does its job. In the private sector companies that are inept, inefficient, or lazy go out of business.
I spent the better part of a month trying to get my packages out of the post office after the driver failed to deliver them to me. Never had that happen with an Amazon truck.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.