Random facts about interstates and US routes

Started by SkyPesos, October 04, 2021, 10:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 06, 2022, 08:44:32 PM
Something I didn't realize was that I-215 around Salt Lake City is the only auxiliary Interstate in Utah since I-415 was decommissioned.

North Dakota and Wyoming are similar for having only one 3di and they are both poor excuses for 3di.  North Dakota's is just a random leg of a much larger freeway and Wyoming's isn't even a freeway.  West Virginia makes the list for having one 3di that "starts" in another state, so you could argue that it might not have gotten a 3di if it wasn't for another state initiating it. 

CNGL-Leudimin

Meanwhile New Mexico appears to not even have idea of what a 3di is, since they have never planned one.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

MATraveler128

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 07, 2022, 10:06:17 AM
Meanwhile New Mexico appears to not even have idea of what a 3di is, since they have never planned one.

Same deal in Arizona, although they did have two 3dis at one point. I-410 being used on the southernmost piece of I-17 and I-510 for AZ 51. There was also I-710 planned for Tucson.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

cstp3103

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 07, 2022, 08:26:43 AM
North Dakota and Wyoming are similar for having only one 3di and they are both poor excuses for 3di.

You can add Vermont to the list too. I always forget I-189 exists, and for good reason.

HighwayStar

Quote from: cstp3103 on February 07, 2022, 02:17:55 PM
North Dakota and Wyoming are similar for having only one 3di and they are both poor excuses for 3di.

You can add Vermont to the list too. I always forget I-189 exists, and for good reason.

In fairness I-189 was supposed to be a real highway.
There are those who travel, and those who travel well

US20IL64

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 07, 2022, 11:17:07 AM

Same deal in Arizona, although they did have two 3dis at one point. I-410 being used on the southernmost piece of I-17 and I-510 for AZ 51. There was also I-710 planned for Tucson.

AZ's Loop freeways in PHX are state funded, so no Interstate signs, and no standards to adhere to.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 07, 2022, 03:06:10 PM
Quote from: cstp3103 on February 07, 2022, 02:17:55 PM

In fairness I-189 was supposed to be a real highway.

Yeah, but because it has the stub-out, it really is a glorified exit ramp of I-89.

bob7374

For those interested in Interstate trivia, the FHWA Interstate Route Log and Finder List has been updated as of Jan. 26th. Unfortunately, the 2di Table 1 does not include all new interstate designations, such as I-42 in NC, there are some new listings in Tables 2 and 3, such as for I-587 in NC and I-195 in DC:
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/interstate_highway_system/routefinder/

Rothman

Quote from: bob7374 on February 07, 2022, 04:09:25 PM
For those interested in Interstate trivia, the FHWA Interstate Route Log and Finder List has been updated as of Jan. 26th. Unfortunately, the 2di Table 1 does not include all new interstate designations, such as I-42 in NC, there are some new listings in Tables 2 and 3, such as for I-587 in NC and I-195 in DC:
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/planning/national_highway_system/interstate_highway_system/routefinder/
They botched it again.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

formulanone

I thought that Paseo del Norte (NM 423) was supposed to be a loop, but fizzled out for one of the typical six reasons (no money, freeway revolt, land acquisition failure, environmental impact, no demand, physically impossible).

I should just create a six-sided die with those reasons, and roll it whenever someone asks "why wasn't the Northern Arc of the Cross-Phantom-Boomtown Expressway built?"

US 89

Quote from: formulanone on February 10, 2022, 04:46:38 PM

I thought that Paseo del Norte (NM 423) was supposed to be a loop, but fizzled out for one of the typical six reasons (no money, freeway revolt, land acquisition failure, environmental impact, no demand, physically impossible).

It was supposed to be the northern side of a loop:

However, unless someone can dig up evidence to the contrary, it was never planned as an interstate.

HighwayStar

Quote from: formulanone on February 10, 2022, 04:46:38 PM

I should just create a six-sided die with those reasons, and roll it whenever someone asks "why wasn't the Northern Arc of the Cross-Phantom-Boomtown Expressway built?"

I would say you can cut that list down. "physically impossible" is never a real reason, it is always a lame excuse for covering up another reason.

I would just do a coin with two sides (too broke, too many CAVE people complained)

formulanone

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 11, 2022, 01:34:24 AM
I would say you can cut that list down. "physically impossible" is never a real reason, it is always a lame excuse for covering up another reason.

I stand up next to a mountain, chopped it down with the side of my hand.

QuoteI would just do a coin with two sides (too broke, too many CAVE people complained)

Of course you'd use a coin. Everything is textbook simple and everyone plays by the rules and gets a turn for the same goal. Or sometimes it's because Senator Dogbreath promised his ex-mistress that he won't build it through their elderberry farmland, in exchange for not getting shamed by the press.

Jebus, have a little fun with this hobby for once. It's not the 1950s and it's not SimCIty anymore...those days are history.

HighwayStar

Quote from: formulanone on February 11, 2022, 09:28:56 AM

QuoteI would just do a coin with two sides (too broke, too many CAVE people complained)

Of course you'd use a coin. Everything is textbook simple and everyone plays by the rules and gets a turn for the same goal. Or sometimes it's because Senator Dogbreath promised his ex-mistress that he won't build it through their elderberry farmland, in exchange for not getting shamed by the press.

Jebus, have a little fun with this hobby for once. It's not the 1950s and it's not SimCIty anymore...those days are history.

Those days are only history here it seems. China has no issue outbuilding us in infrastructure at every turn. Though fortunately history can and does repeat itself...

Kulerage

The only east-west US highway to connect Mexico and Canada is US 62.

hbelkins

Quote from: Kulerage on February 11, 2022, 02:00:32 PM

It's not consistently signed E-W. I know New York signs it N-S, and am not sure about Pennsylvania.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

MATraveler128

Quote from: hbelkins on February 11, 2022, 02:02:27 PM

It's not consistently signed E-W. I know New York signs it N-S, and am not sure about Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania does sign it north south. This happens once it crosses over from Ohio.
Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

Scott5114

Quote from: HighwayStar on February 11, 2022, 11:25:35 AM

Those days are only history here it seems. China has no issue outbuilding us in infrastructure at every turn. Though fortunately history can and does repeat itself...

China will also disappear you if your opposition to an infrastructure project becomes too inconvenient.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

HighwayStar

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 11, 2022, 03:12:34 PM

China will also disappear you if your opposition to an infrastructure project becomes too inconvenient.

For years people have been telling us not to worry about China because they don't do business our way, but the reality is all the stuff still gets built, and I frankly no longer feel warm and fuzzy just knowing that they did not do it the western way. Results do matter.

US 89

And if you happen to be working one of said Chinese infrastructure projects, you're probably getting abused and paid a tiny fraction of what your labor is worth. Not to mention the lack of any sort of environmental regulations over there.

HighwayStar

Quote from: US 89 on February 11, 2022, 03:19:39 PM

And if you happen to be working one of said Chinese infrastructure projects, you're probably getting abused and paid a tiny fraction of what your labor is worth. Not to mention the lack of any sort of environmental regulations over there.

Again, it really does not matter at the end of the day. The fact that they can get things done, and we can't is a serious problem. The fact that we don't approve of their methods of doing business does not really make a difference in the end.

US 89

HighwayStar

Quote from: US 89 on February 11, 2022, 03:48:03 PM
Quote from: HighwayStar on February 11, 2022, 03:21:26 PM
The end justifies the means.

Nah.

Strawman. I'm not saying the ends justify the means, I am saying that the US jumping up and down complaining that China does not play by our rules has failed to stop them thus far, and continuing to use the fact that we don't like how they do things as a justification for why our broken system is adequate is getting us nowhere.

Kulerage

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 11, 2022, 02:56:09 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 11, 2022, 02:02:27 PM

Pennsylvania does sign it north south. This happens once it crosses over from Ohio.
The only *predominantly east-west US highway to connect Mexico and Canada is US 62.

Better? ;-)

JayhawkCO

It's weird.  I just jumped into the NFL (2021 Season) thread, went to the most recent posts and wondered, "Did I actually click the right thread?  This is all about filming movie road trip scenes on two lane roads."  Then I came over here, into the Random facts about interstates and US routes thread, went to the most recent posts and wondered, "Did I actually click the right thread?  This is all about Chinese manufacturing."

Only on AARoads.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.