News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

10,000 Modern Roundabouts in America

Started by tradephoric, December 28, 2021, 12:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Road Hog

I became a huge fan of them in England because that was the only place I saw them. It crossed me up a little bit encountering one for the first time while driving on the right.

hotdogPi

A question: They're everywhere in Europe, but do they fit the "modern roundabout" definition, or are they more like rotaries or traffic circles?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Rothman

Rotaries and traffic circles operate differently.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mukade

Quote from: 1 on December 31, 2021, 06:59:10 AM
A question: They're everywhere in Europe, but do they fit the "modern roundabout" definition, or are they more like rotaries or traffic circles?

Some do and some don't, but that applies across the globe. Australia and New Zealand are similar in that they have numerous examples of both types.

To me, to truly qualify as a "modern" roundabout, the approach angles must be right and there must be a shoulder of some sort on the inside to keep trucks from running over high curbs or landscaping. Inside housing subdivisions, these features are usually missing from their "roundabouts" because the primary intent is most likely to slow down traffic. A secondary benefit is beautification. There are less expensive ways to implement traffic control on low volume streets if that was the only purpose.

No matter the type, roundabout signage and pavement markings are frequently used.

Both of the databases mentioned might benefit from having a field that denotes whether or not a roundabout meets whatever definition of modern roundabout is generally agreed upon.

kalvado

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

hbelkins

Quote from: Road Hog on December 31, 2021, 12:41:13 AM
I became a huge fan of them in England because that was the only place I saw them. It crossed me up a little bit encountering one for the first time while driving on the right.

This never gets old. These screenwriters were ahead of their time.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SSR_317

Quote from: mukade on December 30, 2021, 10:48:47 PM
We have at least 350 in the Indianapolis area, and getting close to 250 in my county with many more planned. The city of Carmel alone has 140.

I am a big fan of them, and I think it is fair to say that the vast majority of people like them because they save so much time and hassle. They are popular enough that some cities erect "roundabout coming soon" signs at intersections where they are planned.

I suppose the more of them you have and the more used to them you become, the more you like them.
Sometimes, though, it seems like Carmel has 5,000 of those 10,000 in the USA! :bigass:

tradephoric

Quote from: SSR_317 on January 08, 2022, 06:05:26 PM
We have at least 350 in the Indianapolis area, and getting close to 250 in my county with many more planned. The city of Carmel alone has 140.

I am a big fan of them, and I think it is fair to say that the vast majority of people like them because they save so much time and hassle. They are popular enough that some cities erect "roundabout coming soon" signs at intersections where they are planned.

I suppose the more of them you have and the more used to them you become, the more you like them.
Sometimes, though, it seems like Carmel has 5,000 of those 10,000 in the USA! :bigass:

There are a few hundred roundabouts in a tight cluster just south of Miami Beach. This is probably the largest concentration of roundabouts in America.

skluth

Quote from: tradephoric on January 13, 2022, 01:33:08 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on January 08, 2022, 06:05:26 PM

There are a few hundred roundabouts in a tight cluster just south of Miami Beach. This is probably the largest concentration of roundabouts in America.
You didn't link and I could find no concentration of roundabouts just south of Miami Beach. However, I know of no higher concentration than this area; drivers go through seven roundabouts in about a miles between Pamperin Park and St Mary's Hospital along the Packerland Drive/ Shawano Ave corridor. I'd be surprised if any other relatively busy corridor has this many roundabouts in that short a stretch, especially a four-lane corridor.

cjw2001

Using the map at https://roundabout.kittelson.com/ a search for Miami Beach shows 92 roundabouts in the resulting area.  A search for Green Bay, Wi shows 169.   A search for Carmel, IN shows 222.

The Indianapolis metro area shows 327 (most of which are around Carmel and the north suburbs).

I do see I get varying results depending on the starting point for the search, however the general trend is consistent. 

Dirt Roads

Quote from: tradephoric on January 13, 2022, 01:33:08 PM

Quote from: skluth on January 13, 2022, 04:10:47 PM
You didn't link and I could find no concentration of roundabouts just south of Miami Beach. However, I know of no higher concentration than this area; drivers go through seven roundabouts in about a miles between Pamperin Park and St Mary's Hospital along the Packerland Drive/ Shawano Ave corridor. I'd be surprised if any other relatively busy corridor has this many roundabouts in that short a stretch, especially a four-lane corridor.

Quote from: cjw2001 on January 14, 2022, 06:03:25 PM
Using the map at https://roundabout.kittelson.com/ a search for Miami Beach shows 92 roundabouts in the resulting area. 

I couldn't find any in Miami Beach (and couldn't imagine any situation where they would make sense).  But I knew of some older ones in the Coconut Grove area.  Sure enough, the area "south of Miami Beach" (better defined as south of the Brickell Financial District of Miami proper) includes both Coconut Grove and Coral Gables.  That area has the particular flair where [roundabouts] make sense:  (1) dominant left turn movements in areas where multiple turn lanes are impractical; (2) speed control issues (think Don Johnson on every corner); and (3) cultural interest in [roundabouts], in this case, artistic. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.