News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

If You Had to Stick to Interstates Between Two Metro Areas...

Started by JayhawkCO, January 10, 2022, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

So I'm driving out in March to visit my buddy in Vegas for March Madness.  While I like clinching interstates to say I did, obviously they're not always the most exciting drive.  But, I was thinking to myself, at least the stretch between Denver and Las Vegas is probably the most interesting stretch of interstate in the country.  So, I got to wondering which metro areas have the best drive between them.  The only real "rule" I can think of is that you can't pass through a metro area larger than your endpoints.  For example, between Denver and Vegas, you pass through Grand Junction and St. George, but they're obviously much smaller.  But you can't count something like Missoula - Seattle because you'd be passing through Spokane which is larger than Missoula.

Others of note:
Salt Lake City - Portland
San Francisco - Portland
Greenville/Spartanburg - Knoxville
Manchester - Burlington

Any other obvious ones that I'm missing?

TheHighwayMan3561

Kansas City and St. Louis
Baltimore and Washington
Madison and Milwaukee
Chicago and Des Moines

:awesomeface:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

I also might be a weirdo, but I liked driving I-80 across Nevada, so I could also add Sacramento - Salt Lake.

US 89

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2022, 02:20:20 PM

I don't know that I can really agree with this. Sure, there are some very scenic parts, but I-84 through the Snake River Plain is sort of the ultimate in boring western interstates.

GaryV

Cincinnati to Atlanta goes through some interesting terrain for much of the distance.

Chicago to Memphis is longer, but hardly very interesting.  Likewise for Atlanta to Miami.

1995hoo

I very much enjoy I-87 between Albany and Montreal, in either direction, especially in winter. The drive through the Adirondacks is very scenic.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: US 89 on January 10, 2022, 02:56:30 PM

I don't know that I can really agree with this. Sure, there are some very scenic parts, but I-84 through the Snake River Plain is sort of the ultimate in boring western interstates.

Maybe I should just limit this to Boise - Portland.  I know eastern Oregon also isn't the most exciting, but I figure that the Columbia River Gorge would have to be included somehow.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2022, 03:09:18 PM
I very much enjoy I-87 between Albany and Montreal, in either direction, especially in winter. The drive through the Adirondacks is very scenic.

Agreed, although I'd pick fall over winter.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: GaryV on January 10, 2022, 02:59:23 PM
Cincinnati to Atlanta goes through some interesting terrain for much of the distance.

Agreed.  I like this drive quite a bit.

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on January 10, 2022, 03:11:31 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2022, 03:09:18 PM

Agreed, although I'd pick fall over winter.

I can understand that. I like winter because I just really like the frozen formations you see hanging from the rocks along the sides of the road and things like that. You don't see much of that as you get further south below Albany, but you can see fall foliage in a lot of places.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Kansas City to Denver- but only for me who has only been west of the Appalachians twice in my life.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 10, 2022, 05:05:21 PM
Kansas City to Denver- but only for me who has only been west of the Appalachians twice in my life.

Driven this 50 times.  No thanks. 

doorknob60

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2022, 03:09:24 PM
Quote from: US 89 on January 10, 2022, 02:56:30 PM

Maybe I should just limit this to Boise - Portland.  I know eastern Oregon also isn't the most exciting, but I figure that the Columbia River Gorge would have to be included somehow.

I make this drive fairly often, I'd say about 80% of it is at least somewhat scenic/interesting, with a few parts that are very nice (eg. western Gorge and Pendleton to La Grande). I actually really like the Ontario to Baker City section for example, lots of interesting terrain and it's the most remote section of interstate in Oregon. The only part I really don't like is from Pendleton to Boardman. If the speed limit was 80 there it wouldn't feel quite as bad.

For some reason, I actually don't mind I-84 from Boise to Salt Lake City too much, even though on paper it's boring. Boise to Mountain Home is probably the worst part. I don't drive to the east as often though, I may feel different if I drove both directions equally often.

NWI_Irish96

There's really nothing in the Midwest that fits this. You're either in a congested urban area or flat cornfields.

64 between Louisville and St. Louis is probably the closest thing to interesting in the Midwest that I've driven.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Dirt Roads

The only real "rule" I can think of is that you can't pass through a metro area larger than your endpoints. 

Others of note:

Sorry for mincing here, but even though Greenville/Spartanburg MSA (1,425,235, 2019) is larger than Asheville (542,821, 2019), this pair still doesn't make sense.

Greenville 70,720 (2020)
Spartanburg 38,732 (2020)
Asheville 94,589 (2020)
Johnson City 71,076 (2020)
Kingsport (barely), 55,442 (2020) 
Knoxville 190,740 (2020)

ethanhopkin14

I have never understood the "interstates are boring" commentary that has always persisted. Some are very scenic.  Some offer views you can't see on any other highway.  All are safer and don't make a cross country trek last two weeks.  Stop bashing my system man!!

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 10, 2022, 06:25:28 PM
The only real "rule" I can think of is that you can't pass through a metro area larger than your endpoints. 

Others of note:

Sorry for mincing here, but even though Greenville/Spartanburg MSA (1,425,235, 2019) is larger than Asheville (542,821, 2019), this pair still doesn't make sense.

Greenville 70,720 (2020)
Asheville 94,589 (2020)
Knoxville 190,740 (2020)

I'm confused why not.  Greenville/Spartanburg and Knoxville are both larger than Asheville or anything else in between.  Are you saying it's not scenic?

thspfc

Denver and SLC, for sure. Whether it's I-70 to I-15 or I-70 to US-6.

vdeane

Quote from: thspfc on January 10, 2022, 09:07:22 PM
Google says I-25->I-80 is faster than either of those (not by much for I-70->US 6, but that's not all-interstate anyways).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

thspfc

Quote from: vdeane on January 10, 2022, 09:10:52 PM
Google says I-25->I-80 is faster than either of those (not by much for I-70->US 6, but that's not all-interstate anyways).
That's less scenic, but still pretty as far as Interstates go.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on January 10, 2022, 09:13:06 PM
Quote from: vdeane on January 10, 2022, 09:10:52 PM
That's less scenic, but still pretty as far as Interstates go.

Meh.  I-80 in Wyoming isn't the prettiest.  It's nice eastbound heading into Evanston but then pretty blah.  I-80 between SLC and the Wyoming line is quite nice though.

Revive 755

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 10, 2022, 05:55:36 PM
There's really nothing in the Midwest that fits this. You're either in a congested urban area or flat cornfields.

If you take I-55, I-39, and I-94 between St. Louis and Minneapolis - St. Paul, there's some relatively good scenery north of Madison in Wisconsin.

I-44 between St. Louis and Springfield, MO has some scenic spots, but the amount of traffic and need for more climbing lanes makes the drive a bit unpleasant.

Dirt Roads

Others of note:

Greenville 70,720 (2020)
Asheville 94,589 (2020)
Knoxville 190,740 (2020)

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2022, 07:01:06 PM
I'm confused why not.  Greenville/Spartanburg and Knoxville are both larger than Asheville or anything else in between.  Are you saying it's not scenic?

Not at all.  But it is arbitrary that Greenville/Spartanburg belong together so as to make it bigger than Asheville.  No matter how you slice it, Greenville is still smaller than Asheville and roughly the same size as Johnson City (which could have been avoided by using I-40, certainly just as scenic).  It also doesn't help that Greenville it is some 30 miles off of I-26.  It's kind of like me saying the same about Raleigh/Durham to Washington DC and skipping over Richmond (which by the way Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill were once all in their own combined statistical area - also arbitrary).

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Dirt Roads on January 10, 2022, 10:40:59 PM

Others of note:

Greenville 70,720 (2020)
Asheville 94,589 (2020)
Knoxville 190,740 (2020)

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2022, 07:01:06 PM

Not at all.  But it is arbitrary that Greenville/Spartanburg belong together so as to make it bigger than Asheville.  No matter how you slice it, Greenville is still smaller than Asheville and roughly the same size as Johnson City (which could have been avoided by using I-40, certainly just as scenic).  It also doesn't help that Greenville it is some 30 miles off of I-26.  It's kind of like me saying the same about Raleigh/Durham to Washington DC and skipping over Richmond (which by the way Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill were once all in their own combined statistical area - also arbitrary).

I meant Greenville/Anderson.  Better?  Still larger than Asheville by about 450k people.  And I'm not saying it has to be only one interstate.  Denver to Vegas, as in my OP, is two.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2022, 10:45:26 PM
I meant Greenville/Anderson.  Better?  Still larger than Asheville by about 450k people.  And I'm not saying it has to be only one interstate.  Denver to Vegas, as in my OP, is two.

Let me be honest.  Back in the MTR days, I made the mistake of insinuating that Charlotte was a larger city (and perhaps more important city) than Columbus, Ohio.  I don't want to squawk about it, but it is hard for me to understand how Asheville is of less importance than either Greenville or Knoxville, regardless of population.  Except if you are talking railroading, as the big mainlines never went anywhere near Asheville.  My high school buddy who went to the University of Tennessee is now seething in agony, particularly since he knows that I've been around about every section of Knoxville.

Anyhow, you are entitled to your own rules.  In the spirit of fun, I challenge everyone to come up with "Interstates between Two Metro Areas" that run between larger metros (I had already assumed Combined Statistical Areas, but the OP is now saying Core Based Statistical Areas) and skip over a city that is pretty important in between. Here's a couple that jump out at me (assuming Combined Statistical Area populations):

Harrisburg to Newark, New Jersey (jumping over Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton)
Knoxville to Cincinnati (jumping over Lexington)
Fayetteville, North Carolina to Jacksonville, Florida (jumping over Savannah)
Killeen/Temple, Texas to Dallas/Fort Worth (jumping over Waco)

It's probably harder to find examples using Core Based Statistical Areas, but I'm sure that there are some good ones out there.  I'll try to find a few myself.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.